View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yama
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject:

akbroker wrote:
Yama wrote:
akbroker wrote:
Had this exact same predicament before. Could dunk maybe 1 out of 10 tries if lucky. And it sucked cause I played for my HS team and everyone in my team could dunk with ease. Tried different gimmicks too but they only wore me out and I didn't see much improvement. Until a friend told me to just jump rope regularly and skip the fancy stuff. Requires dedication but I promise you it will work if you stick to it. Increase your workout gradually until you can do 30 minutes comfortably. By that time you would have gained a few inches in your vertical which should cover the difference between touching the rim and actually throwing it down. Good luck!

Thanks im gonna buy a jump rope and dang you must've played for a good school lol, no one at my school can dunk i'm actually the closest one so far.

Ranked 13th in state, 5,000 something in nationals. Dominated our conference though. And there are many variations to jumping rope, but I was lazy so what I did was "skipping" Number 1 of this video www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX-NdILjBWY when warming up and cooling down and focused on "hopping" with decent elevation once I was warmed up, which is Number 9 of that same video but minus the double thing he's doing or whatever you call it. I just kept it relatively simple and was content once I was able to dunk consistently. Gained 5 or 6 inches in vert I think doing that, so nothing too dramatic but enough to be able to make an uncontested dunk. So I assume that you would see better results than me if you tried different variations which targets different muscle groups. My friend even tried adding 5lb ankle weights. He had crazy hops but messed up his knees later and he claims it was because of the ankle weights. So I don't suggest doing that in case the idea ever comes up. Just keep it simple unless you dream of being able to do between the legs and 360s

I also rode a stationary bike btw at max resistance and moderate speed for an hour and a half a day. That was my other leg workout because jogging gave me shin splints.

How many months did it take you to dunk after you started jump ropping?
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Do what every other almost-dunker does: go to the park and ask people to throw you lobs during shootaround between games. Miss the dunk, but hang full body weight and do a chin-up on the non-breakaway rim and slap the backboard anyway. "Gimme dat same lob, dogg, I almost got it." Do this until the game starts and then while the game is going, disappoint everyone by just shooting jumpers.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
akbroker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject:

7 or 8 mos I think before I was able to do it with confidence and no second guessing. So really requires some dedication. But I already was able to dunk before I started the routine. Just took a lot of takes and the right conditions hence the 1 out of 10 figure. And when I managed to finally dunk "consistently" it was long after my playing days. Managed to maintain the vertical I had in HS from just playing pickup games or competing in rec leagues and got over the hump so to speak after I got into that routine.

And I'm not as tall as you are. I'm over 6'2 with shoes and an inch or two over 8 feet standing reach. So around 27 inches vertical leap I guess if I'm not mistaken.
Yama
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject:

I'll try a mix of different exercises and see what happens
akbroker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject:

And you have no problem palming the ball right? That could be an issue as well if you can't do that comfortably. You'd need a higher vertical to compensate.
Yama
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Nah I cant palm it, thats why I can only dunk smaller balls, I have tiny Kwame Brown hands
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Do what every other almost-dunker does: go to the park and ask people to throw you lobs during shootaround between games. Miss the dunk, but hang full body weight and do a chin-up on the non-breakaway rim and slap the backboard anyway. "Gimme dat same lob, dogg, I almost got it." Do this until the game starts and then while the game is going, disappoint everyone by just shooting jumpers.

Dude, you have one of the more unique POV's on this site.

This ish had me rollin'.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
C M B wrote:

Dude, you have one of the more unique POV's on this site.

This ish had me rollin'.

I think you'll enjoy the pickup basketball thread:

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=147691&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject:

CMB, are you on Twitter? Can I be one of your followers?

I'm dead serious.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Twitter is for twatters, you can follow me by deactivating your account and never coming near the # symbol again unless you're entering the pin for your voicemail.

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject:

Step 1) Buy strength shoes
Step 2) Jump and run as much as possible with those on. The more you do a day, the quicker you'll be able to dunk.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Dunking a Basketball

Yama wrote:

I think I can dunk slightly better with one leg but there pretty even. Is there a certain amount of reps and sets for the crunches and calf raises? Should I do them daily?Thanks for the advice, im definently going to do those exercises and ill let you know as soon as i throw one down

I don't think you need to do a certain number of sets, my advice is ease into at the start...maybe 3 or 4 sets of 20 of each. Then as your body gets used to it you can do more if you feel like it is helping.

I would do it every other day, give your body a day in between to rest.

If you do those exercises consistently and just practice jumping a lot like others have said, I guarantee you will be throwing down beastly dunks. The next trick is being able to dunk over people in games, I never got to that level!

Good luck man, keep us posted!
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

Ha ha, stop following me around! It isn't my fault those guys can't throw a decent lob pass!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: