FIBA Basketball World Cup 2014
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject:

The_Dynasty24 wrote:
For some reason Damien Lillard just doesn't look as effective the few times I've seen him on this year's team. I honestly thought that Kyrie would get cut instead of him but Kyrie is performing much better and it seems his game translates better to the international stage. Kyrie's defense even looks better than Lillards

Lillard's game will not be very effective in the FIBA competitions. Kyrie can penetrate and draw many fouls.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject:

The_Dynasty24 wrote:
For some reason Damien Lillard just doesn't look as effective the few times I've seen him on this year's team. I honestly thought that Kyrie would get cut instead of him but Kyrie is performing much better and it seems his game translates better to the international stage. Kyrie's defense even looks better than Lillards

i agree and it is bizarre. lillard just isn't some guy who backs down to anyone and he's got ice water in his veins. he hasn't been intimidated since day 1 in the NBA. and yet on team USA for SOME reason he's playing almost like he's a scared rookie. almost like he's deferring to the other guys. he's every bit as good as the other PGs except maybe for DRose at 100% IMO.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject:

DJ Slik wrote:
The_Dynasty24 wrote:

i agree and it is bizarre. lillard just isn't some guy who backs down to anyone and he's got ice water in his veins. he hasn't been intimidated since day 1 in the NBA. and yet on team USA for SOME reason he's playing almost like he's a scared rookie. almost like he's deferring to the other guys. he's every bit as good as the other PGs except maybe for DRose at 100% IMO.

You need to have some semblance of off ball ability for team usa (unless you're chris paul, if you're chris paul, they let you run the offense regardless of who else is there), that's his problem and has been an issue for far better players than he.
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
The_Dynasty24 wrote:

You need to have some semblance of off ball ability for team usa (unless you're chris paul, if you're chris paul, they let you run the offense regardless of who else is there), that's his problem and has been an issue for far better players than he.

I don't know that Kyrie is that much better off ball than lillard and I think lillard is the better defender.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject:

DJ Slik wrote:
Telleris wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
The_Dynasty24 wrote:

I don't know that Kyrie is that much better off ball than lillard and I think lillard is the better defender.

Kyrie has been better than Lillard at basically everything, defense included for Team USA.
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
Telleris wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
The_Dynasty24 wrote:

Kyrie has been better than Lillard at basically everything, defense included for Team USA.

i absolutely agree for team USA you are correct. i should clarify--i'm saying if you looked at how they performed last season going into the team usa training camp lillard was the better defender. that's the rub. lillard goes to team usa and all of a sudden looks very very ordinary. same thing with chandler parsons. it's like they hit a defer button. no question kyrie has been the better player throughout the team usa training camp and friendlies.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject:

Welp y'all were correct. Damian did not make the cut. I was surprised, but I haven't been paying attention yet (I am looking forward to the actual tourney).

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2014/08/23/usa-basketball-cuts-damian-lillard-gordon-hayward-chandler-parsons-kyle-korver/14482931/
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject:

So why is Mason Plumlee on the team
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

because team USA is one anthony davis injury away from getting possibly ROLLED. seriously. this is the weakest frontcourt team USA has had in years. demarcus cousins isn't 100%. they have to think trotting kenneth faried and drummond/plumlee out there is asking to get spanked by the gasol boys who take it to another level when they rep spain. trust me without AD even a rematch with brazil would look VERY different. team USA needs depth and size in the frontcourt. that's why they kept plumlee and drummond.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

He went to Duke.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject:

DJ Slik wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

because team USA is one anthony davis injury away from getting possibly ROLLED. seriously. this is the weakest frontcourt team USA has had in years.

Have you forgotten how Lamar Odom played C for team USA?

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
s_habe wrote:
lenouveau wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
i for one thought team USA looked horribly thin in the front court. brazil was the 10th ranked team in FIBA and they played them tough for 3 quarters. something happens to anthony davis, team USA is in some trouble. don't get me wrong they would STILL be the favorites to win because talent is talent, but spain has plenty of talent and they've been playing together as a unit for far longer--and their front court is better than team USA's with the Gasol boys by themselves. i think this is as big a banana peel year as we've had in a while. luckily it's not the olympics.

I saw Brazil's front court (Spliter, Varejao, Nene) as a good test for facing Spain.

Spain's front court is impressive, but their shooters are playing very badly and most of the scoring comes from the Gasol brothers and Ibaka. Whithout inspired shooters, team USA just need to pack the paint to win.

Don't count the back-court of Spain out just yet. They have a couple of weeks left to get their shooting back and shake off the summer rust. This year Team USA is merely one of the favorites. Not the favorite.

What? We are the favorite. You make it sound like a team like Argentina has just as good of a chance. Have you seen the other rosters besides Spain? I think the Lakers roster looks much scarier.

Is USA a favourite? Yes, but just next to Spain and perhaps Lithuania.
And several teams can surprise USA, especially if USA will not take them seriously enough. I am not impressed by what I saw in USA games so far at all.

The way I see it, Spain is the number one favourite.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
improper
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject:

DJ Slik wrote:
Telleris wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
Telleris wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
The_Dynasty24 wrote:

i absolutely agree for team USA you are correct. i should clarify--i'm saying if you looked at how they performed last season going into the team usa training camp lillard was the better defender. that's the rub. lillard goes to team usa and all of a sudden looks very very ordinary. same thing with chandler parsons. it's like they hit a defer button. no question kyrie has been the better player throughout the team usa training camp and friendlies.

I think Kyrie having a down year last season playing for a (bleep) coach makes people forget that, three years ago, he had one of the greatest rookie seasons of all time. He just has a much higher ceiling than Lillard, and when he actually tries it's obvious he's the better player. He's also two years younger.
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject:

improper wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
Telleris wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
Telleris wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
The_Dynasty24 wrote:

I think Kyrie having a down year last season playing for a (bleep) coach makes people forget that, three years ago, he had one of the greatest rookie seasons of all time. He just has a much higher ceiling than Lillard, and when he actually tries it's obvious he's the better player. He's also two years younger.

all i'm going by is last year--which is better than going by three years ago.
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject:

s_habe wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

because team USA is one anthony davis injury away from getting possibly ROLLED. seriously. this is the weakest frontcourt team USA has had in years.

you mean in 2010 with tyson chandler and KLove on the team? that's automatically a better frontcourt than team USA this year. not to mention they had KD on the team....sooooo again, this year's team is the weakest frontcourt team USA has fielded in years.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject:

Anthony Davis is a Beast!

18 pts, 11 boards, 4 Blocks, and 4 steals in like basically 20 minutes against Slovenia.

aka ILLWiLL20

R.I.P PHIL
Corey78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject:

DJ Slik wrote:
s_habe wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

you mean in 2010 with tyson chandler and KLove on the team? that's automatically a better frontcourt than team USA this year. not to mention they had KD on the team....sooooo again, this year's team is the weakest frontcourt team USA has fielded in years.

I wouldn't underestimate this year's frontcourt. Anthony Davis is much better than Tyson Chandler has ever been and is a much better international big than Kevin Love circa 2010. Similarly, Andre Drummond is a great international big. Faried's defense and energy is also great. When Demarcus Cousins appears to be the weak link, that is when you know the frontcourt is pretty good.

This team's bigs are much better than 2010 because they are actually bigs.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject:

Corey78 wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
s_habe wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

I wouldn't underestimate this year's frontcourt. Anthony Davis is much better than Tyson Chandler has ever been and is a much better international big than Kevin Love circa 2010. Similarly, Andre Drummond is a great international big. Faried's defense and energy is also great. When Demarcus Cousins appears to be the weak link, that is when you know the frontcourt is pretty good.

They're some great help defenders, guard penetration will be annexed completely, but their biggest problem is they're all lousy man to man defenders (young, lack strength and experience), and that will show against Spain (it showed against Brazil when Tiago was pushing them around and Spain will be that much worse).
BT
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject:

I've watched some old footage about FIBA World Cup and I found something interesting about Pau on 2006.
He broke his foot during semifinals against Argentina... and pulled a Kobe Bryant.

https://i.imgflip.com/bktms.gif
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject:

BT wrote:
I've watched some old footage about FIBA World Cup and I found something interesting about Pau on 2006.
He broke his foot during semifinals against Argentina... and pulled a Kobe Bryant.

https://i.imgflip.com/bktms.gif

And then in the final game he was replaced by his baby brother. Who did very well. And I was so happy when there was suddenly a hope that Marc would be the next C of the Lakers...

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Corey78 wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
s_habe wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

anthony davis no question is a stud. if you follow the thread i state that they are in trouble IF he goes down. and just because they have AD doesn't mean they are deep in the frontcourt--and that's why they kept mason plumlee--remember the whole point was answering the question: why did they keep plumlee?. the 2010 frontcourt is 10x better than this year's based on having KD ALONE. KD is a ridiculously good international player. drummond, plumlee, and faried are all good players but they aren't GREAT players. tyson chandler back in 2010 was an absolute beast. how soon people forget. this year's front court is just lackluster compared to the past, sorry. it is serviceable and with the sick perimeter players team USA has should be more than enough to win the FIBA tournament. but if AD goes down they are in trouble.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject:

In case anybody's wondering, USA game 1 is today at 12:30 on ESPN.
VindicatioN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
In case anybody's wondering, USA game 1 is today at 12:30 on ESPN.

The only thing i'm wondering is why the camera is shaking all over the place, this is making me nauseous.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject:

Did harden just play defense? Or was that the camera shaking.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject:

Mike D'Antoni really should coach international ball. I can see why he won multiple chips outside the NBA....but that ish don't fly in the states!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 5 of 12
Jump to: