planning a week long visit to NYC, need help on where to stay

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: planning a week long visit to NYC, need help on where to stay

we will fly there and have a rental car, our plan is stay in nearby NJ cities across from Hudson River save us some $$$, easy access from Newark airport, and convenient access to mid town Manhattan by public transportation or hotel shuttles. question is which of these NJ areas should we book our hotel in: Jersey City, Hoboken, or Weehawken. we're looking for a safe area, easy access to highway.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject:

Have you tried AirBnB? Pretty good rates, and you can stay in NYC. Unless you plan on touring Newark, home of the Soprano crime family, you might try staying in Manhattan to save on the car rental fees. A car is a burden in NYC.

How long were you planning on staying?
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject:

It'll depend on the size of your family and your preferences (i.e. don't want to stay in a rental, host, hostel, etc). Would not recommend a rental car unless you want to travel in NJ in addition to NY. Otherwise you're spending half of your vacation in your car. In fact, the rental car rates may even be more costly combined with a NJ stay than just staying in NYC.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Have you tried AirBnB? Pretty good rates, and you can stay in NYC. Unless you plan on touring Newark, home of the Soprano crime family, you might try staying in Manhattan to save on the car rental fees. A car is a burden in NYC.

it'll be just me and my wife, rental car is for the trip we plan on taking to Boston and DC during that week. i know it'll be a hassle driving in NYC, but it'll be convenient for our road trips. i guess i will hold off on the car rental until we're done with NYC sightseeing.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

it'll be just me and my wife, rental car is for the trip we plan on taking to Boston and DC during that week. i know it'll be a hassle driving in NYC, but it'll be convenient for our road trips. i guess i will hold off on the car rental until we're done with NYC sightseeing.

The logistics will be a bit complex, as you will be facing garage fees which tend to be quite high in Manhattan. If you know the dates, try to book online. Groupon sometimes has half-rate deals, and I am sure there are other specialty sites out there. If you know what days you are staying in Manhattan, shoot me a PM and I will check on availability of a financial district condo that is clean, new and sometimes available at a decent rate.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject:

I think last time I was in NYC, the Manhattan parking cost me more than the flight out there. I'd definitely recommend doing without the rental car while you're in NYC, and using it only for your Boston & DC legs.

I haven't driven from NYC to DC, but I've done the drive between NYC & Boston, and it's pretty pleasant.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject:

If you're doing Manhattan, Boston, DC - it makes more sense to either start in Boston and work south, or start in DC and work north. Otherwise you're wasting a lot of drive time back and forth with NYC as your base.

Amtrak trains are another option that connects all three cities, and then you have accessible local subways/taxis in all three cities. Unless you're driving to visit relatives in the suburbs, I'd skip the car and use local transportation.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
If you're doing Manhattan, Boston, DC - it makes more sense to either start in Boston and work south, or start in DC and work north. Otherwise you're wasting a lot of drive time back and forth with NYC as your base.

Amtrak trains are another option that connects all three cities, and then you have accessible local subways/taxis in all three cities. Unless you're driving to visit relatives in the suburbs, I'd skip the car and use local transportation.

i'm thinking along the same way. we may skip Boston this time, just do NYC and DC, fly out to NYC, stay there for 3 full days, take Amtrak to DC, then fly back from DC. how's public transportation in DC? do they get you to the tourist attractions easily?
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

i'm thinking along the same way. we may skip Boston this time, just do NYC and DC, fly out to NYC, stay there for 3 full days, take Amtrak to DC, then fly back from DC. how's public transportation in DC? do they get you to the tourist attractions easily?

Public transportation in DC is excellent. You can take the bus or subway around. DC is pretty small so it's quite easy to get around.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Public transportation in DC is excellent. You can take the bus or subway around. DC is pretty small so it's quite easy to get around.

Agreed. It's good enough to even get from Reagan to Bethesda with minimal effort.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Queensbridge baby. Look for MWP and Odom.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Yup, that's what I did(for NYC and Boston). Flew to NYC and used subways there. Then I took a train up to Boston and used public transportation there too. No need for cars. It's so much nicer just being a part of the city, makes it feel more adventurous.
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject:

It might be cheaper to take JetBlue into Dulles than the Amtrak. However, the Amtrak takes you right into the middle of DC. Dulles is in Virginia and about 30-40 minutes out, but there are trains and buses that conveniently shuttle you into DC. You don't have to worry about traffic because there is a special freeway lane for Dulles traffic that runs to and from DC and Dulles. Reagan National is the other airport that serves DC, but it will probably cost more since it's in the heart of DC.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject:

NYC subways are a great way to get around. Don't travel alone. If you have a permit to carry, carry all the time. Don't travel during rush hour or night time.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
thesource
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Jersey is the best bet.

If you were wanting to experience more of the east coast and had more time to kill I would say fly into Philadelphia and stay either there or in Wilmington, DE. From Delaware you have NYC, Atlantic City, the beaches, Philly, Baltimore, DC, six flag, etc. all within a 2 hour drive. You could spend every day in a different location.

But if NYC is your endgame then Jersey is the best bet.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject:

I would stay in Manhattan and use the subway (get a week pass) to get around. You waste valuable time staying in an outer borough and commuting in and out each day. Its also much safer if you are out late and heading back to your room.
Hotwire is a good site to grab a good deal on a Manhattan hotel.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject:

our latest plan:

fly out to Boston

stay there for 2 days

fly from Boston to NYC (Jetblue is cheaper than Amtrak Northeast Regional)

stay in NYC for 3 days, yes we're going to stay in Manhattan

fly from NYC to DC

fly back home from DC 2 days later

i've been living in this country for 25 years and had never been to the east coast, really excited about this trip.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
our latest plan:

fly out to Boston

stay there for 2 days

fly from NYC to DC

i've been living in this country for 25 years and had never been to the east coast, really excited about this trip.

I found it overrated. But enjoy your trip!

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
our latest plan:

fly out to Boston

stay there for 2 days

fly from NYC to DC

I found it overrated. But enjoy your trip!

Sir Buzz Killington over here

The east coast is cool because it's so different. I think you'll have enough time to see a lot of stuff and not too much time to where you'll get bored. There's a lot of history on the east coast which is always cool to experience.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject:

honestly I think you would be better served spending all those days in NYC and then plan another trip to see Boston and DC. 3 days is not close to enough time to really take on the city if its your first possibly only trip. And then the money you save traveling to to and from Boston and DC can be used in NYC.
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Sir Buzz Killington over here

The east coast is cool because it's so different. I think you'll have enough time to see a lot of stuff and not too much time to where you'll get bored. There's a lot of history on the east coast which is always cool to experience.

i visited NYC last year for 5 days and 4 nights, and i left feeling like a missed out on so much stuff.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: