Run over a person while using a computer while driving....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Run over a person while using a computer while driving....

No problem if you are a cop....
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/08/28/family-of-man-killed-in-deputy-crash-will-continue-with-lawsuit-despite-da-not-filing-criminal-charges/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2736376/Deputy-killed-former-Napster-COO-drifting-bike-lane-distracted-laptop-NOT-face-charges-answering-work-related-email.html
In_your_Eye
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Nothing to fret about just another bump in the road for the police.
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject:

He was obviously resisting
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject:

NO charges? Not even reckless driving? Not even a citation for texting while driving, not for negligent driving, not for assault with a deadly weapon. Zero charges for turning a living person into hamburger while using a full sized personal computer behind the wheel. Okay.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject:

“Wood briefly took his eyes away from the road precisely when the narrow roadway curved slightly to the left without prior warning, causing him to inadvertently travel straight into the bike lane, immediately striking” Olin, who was riding eastbound in the bicycle lane on Mulholland Highway shortly after 1 p.m., according to a charge evaluation worksheet.

The wording there is comical - as if the road suddenly transformed itself and threw in a curve that wasn't there a moment before. Obviously the deputy has patrolled that road many times.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject:

How many times have you seen a cop texting while driving? Or blatantly using their phone while driving? How many times have you seen a cruiser flash its sirens to drive through a red light and then they pull into a fast food joint?

Obviously these don't usually result in deaths, but it's pretty ridiculous.

Oh, and with the various full and qualified immunities, nearly impossible to sue.
Lakers_2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject:

Ban cars. Ban computers.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject:

Lakers_2000 wrote:
Ban cars. Ban computers.

Ugh, right? Ban roads. Ban driving! Ban moving objects, ban bicycles, jellyfish, rubik's cubes, because they're all just like guns in every way imaginable!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
NO charges? Not even reckless driving? Not even a citation for texting while driving, not for negligent driving, not for assault with a deadly weapon. Zero charges for turning a living person into hamburger while using a full sized personal computer behind the wheel. Okay.

The DA wouldn't risk alienating the same police they rely on to help them prosecute.

Good doc on Frontline a couple nights ago, on domestic violence among police officers and how extremely rare it is for any DA to prosecute. Check it out.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/death-in-st-augustine/
Lakers_2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Lakers_2000 wrote:
Ban cars. Ban computers.

Ugh, right? Ban roads. Ban driving! Ban moving objects, ban bicycles, jellyfish, rubik's cubes, because they're all just like guns in every way imaginable!

You're getting there.

If I yelled "POLICE SUCK!" and badmouthed guns every day would I be more in the spirit of this forum?
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject:

Lakers_2000 wrote:
Ban cars. Ban computers.

Your trolling is pathetic.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject:

Lakers_2000 wrote:
C M B wrote:
Lakers_2000 wrote:
Ban cars. Ban computers.

You're getting there.

If I yelled "POLICE SUCK!" and badmouthed guns every day would I be more in the spirit of this forum?

I don't think so. There might be a small contingent of F tha Po-leece people who post on this forum, but I think you're just weary of the numerous, recent threads containing anti-abuse discussions, which might make the former group seem larger than it really is. Personally, I'm not an anti-cop guy. I have quite a bit of respect for them as professionals and the jobs they have to do, even if it requires a good portion of them to be a-holes, or that the ones who aren't already eventually become a-holes. Their presence in my neighborhood or in the lane next to me in areas where the ratio of wigs to yoga mats is 90:1 makes me feel safe. Even you (I assume you're a LEO) have to admit that these stories about abuses of power in the form of straight-up beatings and shootings, or getting off with no charges after forcing bicyclists to hitchhike in the wheel well should be newsworthy and reason for public outrage, because they're dangerous to all of us. If a wealthy white lawyer can't get the DA to move for justice after he got crowned by a Crown Vic, nobody stands a chance in a similar scenario.

As for guns, the reaction you see here to gun abuse is mostly consistent with the first-world perspective. Undiscerning between mass psycho shootings or your everyday hold-the-gat-sideways-while-holding-my-sagging-pants-up shootings, the rest of the intellectual world finds our country's gun problem absurd. Whether or not this means anything to you, a guy who loves his guns, is beside the point: the primary emotion associated with guns should be fear, not pride. If it's pride you feel when you hear about openly carrying a gun into Wal-Mart, you need to sit down and figure out just what the (bleep) went wrong in your life and fix it fast.

I think guns are a great last-resort security measure or a good persuasion mechanism for when we need to move some stubborn bearded guys who are sitting on top of a resource that we need, and I believe that you'll find that most Americans share a similarly neutral view.

When you constantly read the 2A/ultra conservative corners or live in the south where guns make a fine substitute for sex, drugs, and diversity, where guns and the Bible mysteriously became endagered on January 20, 2009, it's no surprise that you think your "gun rights" are in jeopardy. Nothing could be further from the truth. And what were the odds of this thread turning into yet another graceless segue to the oppression of guns? Sheesh.

TheGOATWears#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject:

Obviously it was the bicyclist's fault for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Obviously.
"Love me or hate me; it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, my swagger. Hate my fadeaway, my hunger. Hate that I'm a veteran. A champion. Hate that. Hate it with all your heart. And hate that I'm loved for the exact same reasons."
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject:

TheGOATWears#24 wrote:
Obviously it was the bicyclist's fault for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Obviously.

Did they cite him for Drunk Riding?
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Lakers_2000 wrote:
C M B wrote:
Lakers_2000 wrote:
Ban cars. Ban computers.

You're getting there.

I don't think so. There might be a small contingent of F tha Po-leece people who post on this forum, but I think you're just weary of the numerous, recent threads containing anti-abuse discussions, which might make the former group seem larger than it really is. Personally, I'm not an anti-cop guy. I have quite a bit of respect for them as professionals and the jobs they have to do, even if it requires a good portion of them to be a-holes, or that the ones who aren't already eventually become a-holes. Their presence in my neighborhood or in the lane next to me in areas where the ratio of wigs to yoga mats is 90:1 makes me feel safe. Even you (I assume you're a LEO) have to admit that these stories about abuses of power in the form of straight-up beatings and shootings, or getting off with no charges after forcing bicyclists to hitchhike in the wheel well should be newsworthy and reason for public outrage, because they're dangerous to all of us. If a wealthy white lawyer can't get the DA to move for justice after he got crowned by a Crown Vic, nobody stands a chance in a similar scenario.

As for guns, the reaction you see here to gun abuse is mostly consistent with the first-world perspective. Undiscerning between mass psycho shootings or your everyday hold-the-gat-sideways-while-holding-my-sagging-pants-up shootings, the rest of the intellectual world finds our country's gun problem absurd. Whether or not this means anything to you, a guy who loves his guns, is beside the point: the primary emotion associated with guns should be fear, not pride. If it's pride you feel when you hear about openly carrying a gun into Wal-Mart, you need to sit down and figure out just what the (bleep) went wrong in your life and fix it fast.

I think guns are a great last-resort security measure or a good persuasion mechanism for when we need to move some stubborn bearded guys who are sitting on top of a resource that we need, and I believe that you'll find that most Americans share a similarly neutral view.

When you constantly read the 2A/ultra conservative corners or live in the south where guns make a fine substitute for sex, drugs, and diversity, where guns and the Bible mysteriously became endagered on January 20, 2009, it's no surprise that you think your "gun rights" are in jeopardy. Nothing could be further from the truth. And what were the odds of this thread turning into yet another graceless segue to the oppression of guns? Sheesh.

I like this.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Today on the way to pick up my kids from school, I see a cop aggressively tailgating a driver on the other side of the road and slightly drifting over the double yellow (into my lane) at a pretty high rate of speed. I instinctively slowed down and edge over right to avoid him.

Let's say I was the cop, and I saw another driver pulling the same aggressive move on a two lane highway.....would I pull that mf over? I think so.

Why are cops allowed to do this (bleep)?
Splash1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Lakers_2000 wrote:
C M B wrote:
Lakers_2000 wrote:
Ban cars. Ban computers.

You're getting there.

Well if you follow gun legislation just in CA alone, you'd know how wrong you are. The only thing keeping the gun grabbers at bay is the gun community coming together. A community that's quite diverse consisting of people of all races, creeds, and sexuality. Just last year, Colorado successfully recalled of 2 state senators (D) after they passed strict gun laws.

In this lovely blue state of California we have something called the Handgun Roster which certifies "safe" handguns for sale to the general public. Supposedly, if a handgun passes a drop test it gets certified as well as the manufacturer paying their yearly dues. When a manufacturer doesn't pay, it falls off the roster and becomes illegal to sell. It doesn't matter if the gun was certified and have been sold for years prior because apparently no payment equals not safe. If a gun has a different finish or color, it needs to be tested separately. That's like the IIHS saying a Toyota Camry in white needs to be tested for crash test data separate of a silver one. If a manufacturer changes the design or manufacturing process or simply move their facilities, they need to be retested...along with the ever changing (infringing) laws and requirements such as loaded chamber indicator, magazine disconnect safety, and microstamping. This last one, no manufacturer has the equipment nor does the technology even exist. Guess what, no new handguns were added to the roster since the law took effect. And many grandfathered guns are falling off because manufacturers are getting fed up paying the extortion fees. These are just few examples. There's a whole lot more BS than this.

IIRC, there are other blue states considering following in our footsteps but probably holding still until the outcome of Pena v. Cid. Meanwhile the rest of the country enjoys having a wide array of choices and here we are stuck with what the local government says is OK for us. What's next? A roster of books you can and can't read? Still think it's further from the truth?

But here's the kicker. Law Enforcement is exempt from the roster. Think about that for a minute. A gun that's deemed unsafe for the public is being carried by your local LE to protect you and your children. But as soon as they retire, the guns they were allowed to carry all throughout their career is now unsafe. Does that make sense to you? And that's just the handguns. I can go on and on about bullet buttons, magazine bans, fees, confiscations, and whole lot of other arbitrary nonsense.

Believe all you want that no one is coming for my, your, our guns. You'd only be fooling yourself. You can thank those you make fun of for your misled false sense of security. The only thing keeping your voted in legislators from overstepping our boundaries is us but they sure like to trespass often enough. If you let them, they'll squat in your house like that story of that poor guy in Oregon. By then, it'll be too (bleep) late.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
What's next? A roster of books you can and can't read?

Ironically the State's with the least gun laws usually try to restrict free speech and ban/burn books. Funny how that is.
oliverginob
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject:

another cop getting away with a crime, the lack punishment is what really pisses people off.
Splash1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Quote:
What's next? A roster of books you can and can't read?

Ironically the State's with the least gun laws usually try to restrict free speech and ban/burn books. Funny how that is.

I'm just going to pretend you sneezed so violently that you hit the keyboard that somehow formed words and you accidentally clicked submit while reaching for some tissues.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Splash1 wrote:
C M B wrote:
Lakers_2000 wrote:
C M B wrote:
Lakers_2000 wrote:
Ban cars. Ban computers.

You're getting there.

Well if you follow gun legislation just in CA alone, you'd know how wrong you are. The only thing keeping the gun grabbers at bay is the gun community coming together. A community that's quite diverse consisting of people of all races, creeds, and sexuality. Just last year, Colorado successfully recalled of 2 state senators (D) after they passed strict gun laws.

In this lovely blue state of California we have something called the Handgun Roster which certifies "safe" handguns for sale to the general public. Supposedly, if a handgun passes a drop test it gets certified as well as the manufacturer paying their yearly dues. When a manufacturer doesn't pay, it falls off the roster and becomes illegal to sell. It doesn't matter if the gun was certified and have been sold for years prior because apparently no payment equals not safe. If a gun has a different finish or color, it needs to be tested separately. That's like the IIHS saying a Toyota Camry in white needs to be tested for crash test data separate of a silver one. If a manufacturer changes the design or manufacturing process or simply move their facilities, they need to be retested...along with the ever changing (infringing) laws and requirements such as loaded chamber indicator, magazine disconnect safety, and microstamping. This last one, no manufacturer has the equipment nor does the technology even exist. Guess what, no new handguns were added to the roster since the law took effect. And many grandfathered guns are falling off because manufacturers are getting fed up paying the extortion fees. These are just few examples. There's a whole lot more BS than this.

IIRC, there are other blue states considering following in our footsteps but probably holding still until the outcome of Pena v. Cid. Meanwhile the rest of the country enjoys having a wide array of choices and here we are stuck with what the local government says is OK for us. What's next? A roster of books you can and can't read? Still think it's further from the truth?

But here's the kicker. Law Enforcement is exempt from the roster. Think about that for a minute. A gun that's deemed unsafe for the public is being carried by your local LE to protect you and your children. But as soon as they retire, the guns they were allowed to carry all throughout their career is now unsafe. Does that make sense to you? And that's just the handguns. I can go on and on about bullet buttons, magazine bans, fees, confiscations, and whole lot of other arbitrary nonsense.

Believe all you want that no one is coming for my, your, our guns. You'd only be fooling yourself. You can thank those you make fun of for your misled false sense of security. The only thing keeping your voted in legislators from overstepping our boundaries is us but they sure like to trespass often enough. If you let them, they'll squat in your house like that story of that poor guy in Oregon. By then, it'll be too (bleep) late.

Wow, you seem to have the mistaken belief that any guns you might stockpile would protect you should the Big Bad Government decide to take away all of your rights. You don't and never will. And there is no reason to think that they will either. You have built a strawman based on an irrational paranoia and then tried to justify it with wet noodles. Sad really.
Splash1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject:

^ Gesundheit.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: