how good can next season's Cavs team be?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject:

improper wrote:
Telleris wrote:
krisobe wrote:
LeBron, Varejao, Marion, Tristan, all good defenders IMO. Waiters is decent.

If Waiters is a decent defender, then Irving is an all nba defender. Tristan? eh, not really, the other 3 i'd label as "doesn't really try anymore", "will miss half the season" and "has nothing left"

Waiters is a better defender than Irving, who was easily one of the worst defenders in the league last year. By most metrics, Waiters ranks about average in defense. He's very good on the ball but struggles off of it, as do a lot of younger players. He was certainly significantly better than Irving was last year.

Also worth noting that Dellavedova is a plus defender as well.

Who?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject:

CAVS GONNA SHOCK DA WORLD AND WIN IT ALL

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Question is... Will they be better than that 66-16 season with Mike Brown?
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject:

improper wrote:
Telleris wrote:
krisobe wrote:

If Waiters is a decent defender, then Irving is an all nba defender. Tristan? eh, not really, the other 3 i'd label as "doesn't really try anymore", "will miss half the season" and "has nothing left"

Waiters is a better defender than Irving, who was easily one of the worst defenders in the league last year. By most metrics, Waiters ranks about average in defense. He's very good on the ball but struggles off of it, as do a lot of younger players. He was certainly significantly better than Irving was last year.

Defensive "metrics" are as valuable as inadvertent numbers that might appear in your crap (perhaps i'm exaggerating, but nowhere near as much as you might think...)

The general feeling I've gotten from Cleveland media (people that actually watched Cleveland more than the odd game here or there) was that they saw Dion as their worst defender, yes even worse than Kyrie.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject:

krisobe wrote:
Question is... Will they be better than that 66-16 season with Mike Brown?

They'll be measured by the playoffs, not the regular season.
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Not that I will be watching but they play in the East... A garbage conference built for clowns that wanna moonwalk into the Finals every year without earning a damn thing... Hooray!

Sidebar-What's even more hilarious is that ESPN.com is trolling for web hits with a "Will Cavs Win Title?" headline under our team index. We're the only team that has that BS headline lingering on our Index at that. ESPN is an f-ing joke. LeBron and their agenda can bite me.

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject:

So good.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject:

improper wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
that's not a great team but they are in the East so they should have no problem getting to the Finals. There really are no other contenders in that conference, maybe Chicago but until I see D.Rose play as his old self I can't count them in. Who else is there? Indiana is done, then who's left? Toronto?Miami? maybe Washington? I don't see any of those teams contending.

I don't really understand the logic that they aren't a great team. They have two of the best ten players in the NBA and a young point guard who could reach that level himself in the next couple of years along with a deep bench mixed with young talent and veterans.

I, too, am a little puzzled that people here are feeding the "LeBron has no help" narrative. I would think people would be wanting to set the bar super high for him by saying he's playing with allstars.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject:

I think NY will win the East... at least, I am hoping they would. lol
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
improper
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
improper wrote:
Telleris wrote:
krisobe wrote:

Defensive "metrics" are as valuable as inadvertent numbers that might appear in your crap (perhaps i'm exaggerating, but nowhere near as much as you might think...)

The general feeling I've gotten from Cleveland media (people that actually watched Cleveland more than the odd game here or there) was that they saw Dion as their worst defender, yes even worse than Kyrie.

Sorry, but anyone who says Dion is a worse defender than Kyrie has never watched either of them play. I watched over sixty Cavs games each of the last two years. Dion is light years ahead of Kyrie on defense.

Granted, a lot of Kyrie's issues may be effort based, and he may become a better defender this year, but Dion has been significantly better on that end of the floor than Kyrie has since he joined the Cavs. Whether you go by metrics or the eye test, it's not even close.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: