Allergies?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Allergies?

So for the past few months, I have been very congested on and off. My nose gets stuffed up and mucus builds up and I can't clear it out. Sometimes, it feels like I'm going to gag or choke on my own snot. I also have an occasional cough, but very little to no sneezing and no runny nose.

At first, I thought it might be a sinus thing but there is no pain or headaches. And I don't feel sick at all. My strength and energy levels are perfectly fine.

Am I having seasonal allergies? It sounds like a dumb question but I've never had them before so I must have developed them. If so, does anyone have suggestions to remedy the symptoms? I have tried various OTC decongestants and antihistamines and nothing seems to have a meaningful effect.

Going to the doctor is not an option temporarily. I recently found out that the doctor I had been going to my whole life is not contracted under Obama Care and it doesn't make sense for me to find a new doctor in the meantime because I am starting a new job in about a month that will provide health care coverage to some degree and I'll be moving out of the area.

This really isn't a huge deal but the symptoms are very stingy and annoying. Any and all help is appreciated.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Allergies?

LakerFan87 wrote:
So for the past few months, I have been very congested on and off. My nose gets stuffed up and mucus builds up and I can't clear it out. Sometimes, it feels like I'm going to gag or choke on my own snot. I also have an occasional cough, but very little to no sneezing and no runny nose.

At first, I thought it might be a sinus thing but there is no pain or headaches. And I don't feel sick at all. My strength and energy levels are perfectly fine.

Am I having seasonal allergies? It sounds like a dumb question but I've never had them before so I must have developed them. If so, does anyone have suggestions to remedy the symptoms? I have tried various OTC decongestants and antihistamines and nothing seems to have a meaningful effect.

Going to the doctor is not an option temporarily. I recently found out that the doctor I had been going to my whole life is not contracted under Obama Care and it doesn't make sense for me to find a new doctor in the meantime because I am starting a new job in about a month that will provide health care coverage to some degree and I'll be moving out of the area.

This really isn't a huge deal but the symptoms are very stingy and annoying. Any and all help is appreciated.

Ozone field phoresis.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject:

There have been a lot of local pollen alerts the last few months. Although I think they have been less frequent in the later part of August. Certain flowers can also irritate allergies, if you know what I'm saying.

I get hit with bad sneezing attacks, and runny noses periodically and I use Bloom, Natural Allergy Relief products, but they are a little on the pricey side. A few squirts in water under the tongue and I am good to go for a few hours. It relieves my allergies without the feeling of being high on cocaine and the dried out sinuses that OTC medications can give me.

I buy it at Erewhon.

http://www.bloomherbalorganics.com/products/bloom-allergy-relief
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Allergies?

LakerFan87 wrote:

Try Flonase (generic is something like Nasacort) + Zyrtec. Should help.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject:

Buy some Children's Benadryl. Take one teaspoon in the morning and have a cup of coffee with it (half dose + caffeine to counteract the drowsiness).

Works like a charm for allergies. Nothing beats good old Benadryl in terms of effectiveness.
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject:

year around allergies here. They suck. I use nasonex for my damned allergy cough and runny nose, but it only helps a bit. My nose is running like a champ right now and its 4am in the morning.

worst part is swalling the stuff, nasty and can make your stomach not feel good at times.

Never ever had any kind of allergies til i turned 28 years old.
PrairieAve
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject:

I absolutely swear by Chlorpheniramine Maleate. Best anti-histamine medication I've ever used-- I'm clear-headed at work while other people in the office are a coughing, sneezing mess. Hopefully it doesn't have side effects that I'm not aware of.
-Avenue of the Champions- -RIP Dr Buss- #824
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject:

Try rinsing out your sinuses using a warm, mild saline solution. They have premixed solutions at places like Rite-Aid or CVS or Amazon. Make sure you use only distilled or, at least, filtered water when mixing.

There are different ways to irrigate (Neti pots, irrigators). An irrigator is basically a low-pressure Water-Pik. I've been using something called a Grossan Hydro-Pulse for years which works very well. I highly recommend it.

I don't suffer too much from outdoor allergies as much as food allergies. I used to drink gallons of milk when I was young, but when I got into my mid-twenties it started giving me really bad sinus congestion even in small amounts. I used to do the whole, antihistimine/decongestant routine, but rarely use them anymore since I started using the Hydro-Pulse.
NickF
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject:

Is this worse early morning? When you first wake up?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: