Anyone work full time and go to school?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Anyone work full time and go to school?

Just started a new job. The job, itself, is pretty chill. The owners and workers are pretty nice, and the pay is pretty good, all things considered. I'm also finishing up my last year at a CC (full-time student), before I transfer to get my BS in Computer Science (I think I might be able to do it in 1.5 yrs, once I'm transferred). The drive from work to school is about 25 minutes, more or less.

I find myself getting slightly nervous about the whole thing. The work or school, in themselves, are completely fine, it's just putting the two together, that gets me antsy. Figuring out if I'll be fatigued when I make it to class, hungry, late, etc. Also, making sure I have enough time for projects, to study, etc. I also would like to still have some semblance of a social life.

Would be curious what you guys thought about this.
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject:

How many units are you taking? And are they difficult classes? It's going to be tough juggling both and tougher to do both well but it's definitely doable. The worst part for me is late nights followed by early mornings, it'll catch up to you.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject:

If your social life consists of a night out once a week, I think that is doable.

However, I have a friend studying Computer Science, and he worked about 30 hours a week and has been making it through. So I would say you should be fine as long as you don't have a lapse in motivation.

Although I will say 1.5 years doesn't seem like a short amount of time after a transfer. I would be weary of loading up to 18 credits semesters if the credits involve many math or rigorous CS courses. I think thats tough enough without work, with work seems like a tight rope to walk.
Brandon98
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone work full time and go to school?

leor_77 wrote:
Just started a new job. The job, itself, is pretty chill. The owners and workers are pretty nice, and the pay is pretty good, all things considered. I'm also finishing up my last year at a CC (full-time student), before I transfer to get my BS in Computer Science (I think I might be able to do it in 1.5 yrs, once I'm transferred). The drive from work to school is about 25 minutes, more or less.

I find myself getting slightly nervous about the whole thing. The work or school, in themselves, are completely fine, it's just putting the two together, that gets me antsy. Figuring out if I'll be fatigued when I make it to class, hungry, late, etc. Also, making sure I have enough time for projects, to study, etc. I also would like to still have some semblance of a social life.

Would be curious what you guys thought about this.

I'd highly suggest speaking with an advisor for your major when you're accepted, but well before classes start. It's important because they can lay out a proper plan of study of which courses to take together in a semester. This is essential nowadays, don't plan out your own plan-of-study without consultation.

I think working part-time as you complete your degree is very doable, but you absolutely need to plan out the courses accordingly with the experts in the department. It may take a little longer than expected, but you won't be putting yourself in a position where you're taking an unbearable classload.

If you were taking underwater basketweaving or something softer, that's one thing, but majors such as engineering, hard sciences, accounting/finance, CompSci, etc. require more time and focus dedicated to the coursework, typically because they either involve higher level math, or some law reading. 18 units of that plus part-time work could be seriously backbreaking.

You definitely know yourself and study strengths better than I do, but your education (and nice selection of choice of major) is a large investment in your future, so my best advice is make sure that you handle that with care, even if it does take slightly longer to finish or you do have to sacrifice the social life more than anticipated.
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject:

It can be done. You'll be miserable - tired all the time and irritable. I don't recommend it but if you have no choice, it can be done. Also depends on the classes. Such as If they are heavy 5 unit classes. I can tell you this, when I took Anatomy and microbiology there was no way I could work full time only because it demanded so much of my time, I constantly had to come into the lab room during my off time to study slides, bacteria, muscles, etc. Good luck. I'm going to be in the same dilemma as you if I get accepted to nursing school. I'm not going to risk it tho, I'm going to have to work part time no choice or hopefully take out a loan.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject:

I worked full time and went to law school full time at night. I also got married after the first year of law school and had a baby right before the bar.

It can be done if you have the right attitude. Life happens. Don't be a wuss about it.
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
I worked full time and went to law school full time at night. I also got married after the first year of law school and had a baby right before the bar.

It can be done if you have the right attitude. Life happens. Don't be a wuss about it.

I work full time and have been going to school for my MBA on Saturdays. I just finished the first year (of three) and got married earlier this year. Sounds like I'll have a baby in few years if I follow the Heartburn plan
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:

I commend you for your professed ability to multi-task like a badass MFer. I think if you've actually achieved that level of success, you can provide much more constructive input than claiming that someone is wuss if they can't match your achievements.
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject:

About to attempt the same thing here. 40 hour work weeks plus 10 units of comp sci classes. Granted they're just intro classes.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Heartburn wrote:

I commend you for your professed ability to multi-task like a badass MFer. I think if you've actually achieved that level of success, you can provide much more constructive input than claiming that someone is wuss if they can't match your achievements.

Et tu, DMR?

Point is, people get too protective of their time. You CAN get it done. It might mean you don't spend as much time with friends. It might mean you don't get as much time to exercise or sleep. If achievement means something, sacrifices need to be made.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Heartburn wrote:

Et tu, DMR?

Point is, people get too protective of their time. You CAN get it done. It might mean you don't spend as much time with friends. It might mean you don't get as much time to exercise or sleep. If achievement means something, sacrifices need to be made.

Nicely put.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Heartburn wrote:

Et tu, DMR?

I'm with HB on this. Ambition costs.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Just to update, Tuesday and Wednesday, I've been getting up at around 6:00 AM. Leave the house at about 7:20 AM, don't get back until 8 or 9 PM lol. It's cool, though...Part of all of this is that I was trying to move my Calc II class to the evening, and in doing so, you have to sit in on both classes.

@Heartburn, I'm not sure if you're still dealing with GERD, but mine started to get worse just recently. That's actually been my biggest obstacle with all of this. I started taking Nexium last Thursday (so almost a week, now). I definitely feel proud that I am able to do all of this even while my GERD/AR is at it's worst.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:

Is that how you got the nickname Heartburn?
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn was one of the side effects.

For me, it comes and goes. I'm really heavy right now so I should be feeling it worse, but strangely I'm not. I avoid my triggers as much as possible. The things that kill me the most are greasy food, acidic tomato based sauces (raw tomatoes are fine) and smoking. Smoking I've cut out altogether but greasy food always causes a flare up.

Alcohol is supposed to be another trigger but I find only red wine gives me problems.
safari_in_cali
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject:

I did that in the late 90's. I lived in Hollywood, worked in West LA from 8 to 5, then drove to East LA for the night classes at CSULA four days a week, majoring in Computer Science. Twice a week the classes didn't end until 10 PM. I had dinner at 11 PM and then studied until 2 AM. I did that for two years. It was tough, I won't lie, but I was young. It was well worth it in the end.
frenchbullcho
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject:

Anyone is an emt ?
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject:

Kudos to all of the people working and going to school simultaneously. I have great respect for such individuals knowing that I was fortunate enough to never have to do that. I did tutoring part time (12-18 Hrs a week, schedule varied) during grad school, but I worked on campus at the main tutoring center so it really wasn't a big deal.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject:

Pretty aggressive schedule. I worked part time, about 20-24 hours per week. It was only on weekends, so I gave up the epic parties and football games, but left time during the week for school and some fun time. My daughter is in CC now, and I won't let her work more than 20 hours a week.
onepinoyboy8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject:

frenchbullcho wrote:
Anyone is an emt ?

EMT here. Currently in Nursing school and it makes EMT classes/program look like kindergarden
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject:

frenchbullcho wrote:
Anyone is an emt ?

I was. Took classes during senior year of undergrad and worked my gap year. Woefully underpaid but well worth it if you want to move on to other health professions.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
frenchbullcho
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject:

leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject:

About two weeks in...Ended up keeping the morning Calc II class, which I go to Monday through Thursday. On the days that I don't have evening class, I leave the house at 7:30 AM, and get back home at about 6:30-7:00 PM, and when I do have evening class, I'm leaving the house at 7:30 AM and getting home at around 10:00 PM.

So far, my biggest issue is just not having the physical hours to study for my Calc II class. Luckily, I am understanding a lot of the sections. I am also referencing online videos. The professor assigns HW, but does not collect it or count/grade it. The grade is all based on the tests. First test is next (not this upcoming) Monday, so I am deciding how much time (1 day, 1.5, etc.) I will ask off to study for it, and do other work.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject:

I did it for a bit -- was tough but manageable. After a while you get in a groove, and realize that other people do it all of the time, which gives you extra motivation to get everything done.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
About two weeks in...Ended up keeping the morning Calc II class, which I go to Monday through Thursday. On the days that I don't have evening class, I leave the house at 7:30 AM, and get back home at about 6:30-7:00 PM, and when I do have evening class, I'm leaving the house at 7:30 AM and getting home at around 10:00 PM.

So far, my biggest issue is just not having the physical hours to study for my Calc II class. Luckily, I am understanding a lot of the sections. I am also referencing online videos. The professor assigns HW, but does not collect it or count/grade it. The grade is all based on the tests. First test is next (not this upcoming) Monday, so I am deciding how much time (1 day, 1.5, etc.) I will ask off to study for it, and do other work.

The main flaw I see is no Laker time.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: