GM (anonymous) Says Kobe Bryants Trade Value is *Zero*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
True. I don't think a single team would trade anything of substance for Kobe right now. It's irrelevant because Lakers won't try to trade Kobe anyway, even if he had great trade value.

Bingo! And no one needs to get defensive about Kobe's trade value being zero; it was apparently meant to be so.

No big "deal" here...
SlickVic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject:

The last thing in the world that contract was designed for was "trade value", so it's a bit amusing some random GM had to make a point to confirm that is indeed the case.
fadeaway3
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject:

You don't have to be smart to be a GM, especially an anonymous one.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:
You guys do realize that Kobe is going to sell out every game, no matter how crap we are, since these are his last 2 years. Also, if he were to change teams, everyone is going to buy his new jersey. He would bring home 2-3x his salary without a problem.

The GM here is either an idiot or a hater.

A GM who makes trades based on potential jersey sales won't be a GM for very long.

and a GM won't trade for Kobe because of jersey sales... there are a number of good reasons to trade for Kobe. and that to say his trade value is zero, is beyond idiocy.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:
You guys do realize that Kobe is going to sell out every game, no matter how crap we are, since these are his last 2 years. Also, if he were to change teams, everyone is going to buy his new jersey. He would bring home 2-3x his salary without a problem.

A GM who makes trades based on potential jersey sales won't be a GM for very long.

How about a GM who resigns someone based on jersey sales and idiot fan popularity? I extend that remark to Nick Young as well.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

How about a GM who resigns someone based on jersey sales and idiot fan popularity?

Are you referring the the Cavs and Lebron?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

How about a GM who resigns someone based on jersey sales and idiot fan popularity?

They're hands down favorites to make the Finals while we're not even favored to make the playoffs. How you drew that connection is mystifying.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
ducasse wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

They're hands down favorites to make the Finals while we're not even favored to make the playoffs. How you drew that connection is mystifying.

Not saying much considering their conference. Does James really want to make the finals just to lose again? He'd drop out of the top 15 if he does that...all this team hopping and calling Guy to join him...LeCramps gonna get the beat down by Leonard again
LHQ
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Whoever that GM was... He was kinda right.

Kobe's contract is ridiculous, in order to trade for him you'd need to trade half your team, or some stars, maybe even a combo of both things, and all you get are maybe some better jersey sales... FOR ONLY 2 YEARS!

Kobe won't make your team better right now, unless you already are the worst team in the league and you don't care much about winning right now, or maybe for the expiring in two years...
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

He probably isn't.
An economist for Time estimated that LBJ resigning with the Cavs adds about $130 million per year to their bottom line for just the regular season ticket revenue alone with more for the playoffs. This was logically derived from price per ticket when LBJ was there before compared to what they were getting without him, so it's factual - not fantasy. And, that doesn't count merchandise sales - although I'd guess that additional $$ for jersey sales probably pales in comparison #130 million base #.
They also estimated that LBJ was adding about $500 million per year to Cleveland's overall economy - again, based on before/after results last time LBJ played there.
pretty significant
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Well, at least we know the answer to the question: "what do Kobe's trade value and Lebron's basketball IQ have in common?"
ringThingDoUrThiNg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject:

JIFISH wrote:
Well, at least we know the answer to the question: "what do Kobe's trade value and Lebron's basketball IQ have in common?"

wow, this is really reaching. Of all things to criticize LBJ for, b-ball IQ isn't one of them.
Mamba3301
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
Better question is why is his trade value even being discussed? He was given that deal with the idea that he was never to be traded and would end his career with the Lakers.

Because people are bored with their lives and need to make themselves feel better by talking crap about Kobe, even if it means making up imaginary, hypothetical situations. Some things never change.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
ducasse wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

He probably isn't.
An economist for Time estimated that LBJ resigning with the Cavs adds about $130 million per year to their bottom line for just the regular season ticket revenue alone with more for the playoffs. This was logically derived from price per ticket when LBJ was there before compared to what they were getting without him, so it's factual - not fantasy. And, that doesn't count merchandise sales - although I'd guess that additional $$ for jersey sales probably pales in comparison #130 million base #.
They also estimated that LBJ was adding about $500 million per year to Cleveland's overall economy - again, based on before/after results last time LBJ played there.
pretty significant

http://regressing.deadspin.com/how-much-is-lebron-really-worth-1595374835

That's only basketball production.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: GM (anonymous) Says Kobe Bryants Trade Value is *Zero*

DaMuleRules wrote:
Floyd24NDLAL wrote:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/one-gm-lists-kobe-bryant-s-trade-value-as--zero---which-seems-odd-180956221.html

Asked about Kobe’s value on the market, one GM answers definitively: “Zero. Look at that number. Who takes him?”

Total Disrespect ? I think so.

More like common sense.

Mule with the good.
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject:

ringThingDoUrThiNg wrote:
JIFISH wrote:

wow, this is really reaching. Of all things to criticize LBJ for, b-ball IQ isn't one of them.

OK, how about this, then, "Well at least we know the answer to the question: 'what do Kobe's trade value and Lebron's amount of killer instinct have in common?'"

BTW, I thought the gm's remark about Kobe's trade value was pretty silly, too.
UCSB616
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject:

24KaratGold wrote:
If Kobe demanded a trade to Team X today, I bet a lot of Team X GMs would be scrambling to make it happen.

Now if you're a championship contender or a young team with a bright future, it's not worth gutting your team to get a guy that's only planning on playing two more years.

But if you're pretty much any other team, you're telling me you turn down one of the greatest players in NBA history, who was arguably playing his best basketball before his Achilles injury? Plus, from a business standpoint, that's guaranteeing a sell-out every home game plus merchandise sales through the roof.

The Lakers were "pretty much any other team" and did exactly this when they extended him, so I suppose you have a point, although you get there in an interesting way.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: GM (anonymous) Says Kobe Bryants Trade Value is *Zero*

doughboy90650 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Floyd24NDLAL wrote:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/one-gm-lists-kobe-bryant-s-trade-value-as--zero---which-seems-odd-180956221.html

Asked about Kobe’s value on the market, one GM answers definitively: “Zero. Look at that number. Who takes him?”

More like common sense.

Mule with the good.

Either way common sense would be to add Kobe to your roster if you can clear cap space and if he would be the missing link to your squad contending for a championship. This is me speaking with out my homer blinders on as well.

Imagine if Mitch and Jim had a fallout with Kobe, you guys don't think Phil and DFish wouldn't try to make a move to pair Kobe with Melo in NY? Especially in the weak ass East , Kobe and Melo would be a force to reckon with.

aka ILLWiLL20

R.I.P PHIL
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: GM (anonymous) Says Kobe Bryants Trade Value is *Zero*

KingKobe20 wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Floyd24NDLAL wrote:

More like common sense.

Mule with the good.

Either way common sense would be to add Kobe to your roster if you can clear cap space and if he would be the missing link to your squad contending for a championship. This is me speaking with out my homer blinders on as well.

Imagine if Mitch and Jim had a fallout with Kobe, you guys don't think Phil and DFish wouldn't try to make a move to pair Kobe with Melo in NY? Especially in the weak ass East , Kobe and Melo would be a force to reckon with.

No matter how mad Jim got at Kobe, i don't see why he'd want to trade him for Amare or Bargnani. If it ever got to that point (which it wouldnt) a buyout would make much more sense.
dmills
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
P.K. wrote:
ducasse wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

He probably isn't.
pretty significant

http://regressing.deadspin.com/how-much-is-lebron-really-worth-1595374835

That's only basketball production.

Question for the stat enthusiasts. Does "warp" actually help make a basketball team better or is it another of those fantasy league type stats like PER?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject:

WARP is the new PER at ESPN. Not sure I'm that thrilled with both, but obviously better than the old PPG, RBG, APG "analysis."
dmills
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
WARP is the new PER at ESPN. Not sure I'm that thrilled with both, but obviously better than the old PPG, RBG, APG "analysis."

I guess my question is, does it help to improve a team like some of the other new stats do like say, line up based +/-, points per 100 possessions etc? Or is it geared more towards "best players in the NBA" type analysis. In other words, Fantasy league oriented stuff.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Dan Gilbert needs to stop talking trash...Just because he got his Queen back doesn't mean he can knock on the value of an all time great.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject:

So Pluto won't even trade for him?
Battiato's Nose
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject:

Who cares if they said it? If they did, who cares if it's true?

Even if it were, we're not "the rest of the NBA". We are the Lakers. Your dirt is our gem. bring it on!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: