General Professional Boxing Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 312, 313, 314 ... 512, 513, 514  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Can't wait to swoop up tickets for GGG vs. Rubio! I don't think Rubio has a chance, but he's tough as nails, so there's definitely going to be plenty of action.

I'm just wondering who will be on the undercard.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject:

looks to be promoted by K2, I guess ......Rubio is looking to make it a "Mexican Style" fight. Bad news. Wonder if Robert Garcia is gonna try to change up Rubio's style.

If Golovkin wins, that's another Top 10 middleweight (#8 RING, #10 ESPN - Rubio)

the pickings are thin in the division and the elite fighers don't wanna (bleep) with him.

Cotto - Roach "We wanna make him come down as far as possible."- in other words, lets drain him

Quillen - Haymon, Showtime vs. HBO
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject:

September 12 has the purse bids for Stiverne-Wilder and Garcia vs Postol

Heavyweight division is getting closer and closer to being unified.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Quillen gotta nice pay day going up against Korobov ..... GBP sorta wanted it. Top Rank didn't wanna touvh it according to the purse bids. Roc Nation dropped two million for the fight.

I think Jay-Z could be the one to get all these mega fights happening, as long as it's done through the purse bids.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject:

For those of you that missed FNF last Friday

It was very entertaining.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject:

Wow, Mike Jones is going to attempt a comeback? http://www.boxingscene.com/mike-jones-wants-big-fights-august-23-return--81302

Hope he learned how to keep his hands up at all times, after Bailey crushed his status in boxing. Fight is tomorrow, but looks like it's not on TV schedule anywhere.

http://fightnights.com/boxing-schedule

Austin Trout tonight on FNF.

Also, not sure if anybody posted this before, but it was PPV and didn't really know about it until my cousin mentioned it. New format for Boxing. Gabe Rosado vs. Brian Vera!

doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject:

BKB wasn't half bad. Thing it's made for phone booth fighters instead of traditional boxers. Vera got caught with a nice two piece.

Trout looked good except for that 3rd round.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
BKB wasn't half bad. Thing it's made for phone booth fighters instead of traditional boxers. Vera got caught with a nice two piece.

Trout looked good except for that 3rd round.

Yup. Entertaining concept though.

And yeah, Trout actually looked better than I expected. He still looked fairly solid, after the 1st 2 knockdowns. Still had his legs and was still able to move defensively, so I was figuring he could make up for the knockdowns, considering his ability to box and win rounds. I didn't expect that he'd stay in the pocket so often, after that, which was an entertaining surprise and he showed that he can really hurt guys when he mixes it up.

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject:

I can't find video for it, but Mike Jones' comeback attempt got put to a stop last night!

Jaime Herrera got up from 2 early knockdowns, to knock Mike Jones out! I've only found 2 interviews (one with Herrera and another with Miguel Diaz). Miguel Diaz apparently felt like the fight should have been stopped when Herrera was knocked down the 2nd time, cuz he wasn't responding well (but it was at the end of the round, so apparently Herrera was given more time than normal to recover.

Hopefully, the video pops up somewhere. Sounds like it might've been an entertaining fight.

doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Can't find the video either. Brutal.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject:

I'm going for sure! GGG and possibly Nonito vs. Walters? No matter what, that ends up being two awesome fights to watch live.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-boxing-nonito-donaire-20140827-story.html

Was gonna splurge and get ringside or 1 tier above, but the arena is small, so probably the 3rd tier instead

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao fight possible in 2015

Could the long-anticipated, much-hyped fight between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather finally happen?

According to boxing promoter Bob Arum, it could — as soon as next year. Arum told the San Francisco Chronicle on Thursday that he is "very optimistic" the two will finally square off, as the networks representing both fighters — Showtime/CBS for Pacquiao and HBO for Mayweather — have discussed a potential fight. Arum said both networks were eager to have the fight finally come to fruition.

"Both networks want this fight to happen," Arum said. "All signs seem to point to the fight happening early next year."

SI
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Swooped up 11 tickets for GGG vs. Rubio / Nonito vs. Walters. Gonna be worth it, just for those two fights.

Group buy discount is pretty awesome, cuz additional fees go away.

doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject:

nice ....... ill probably go and see what's left over but if I have to work, then I'll just catch it on the tube. always good to check out a fight underneath the sky ...... great venue.

Only thing that sucks is that there's no screens for instant replays.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Canelo wants Cotto fight to take place in Las Vegas

Quote:

WBC middleweight champion Miguel Cotto and trainer Freddie Roach are going to need forget about fighting former WBA/WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez at Madison Square Garden in New York; because Canelo says he’s interested in fighting Cotto in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Roach recently spoke of wanting Canelo to travel to New York to fight Cotto in front of his own fans, but he thinks Canelo will be afraid to do that. I’m not sure if it’s fear of Cotto for Canelo possibly not being keen on the idea of fighting in front of a large pro-Cotto crowd in New York, but rather Canelo not wanting to put himself in the position where he could end up losing the fight by a controversial decision.

“It could be held in May in Las Vegas,” Canelo said to Esto about a fight against Cotto. “My idea was to end the year as world champion, but perhaps wait for the next year, depending on what suits.

“I don’t think he’s brave enough to go into the lion’s den,” Freddie Roach said about Canelo likely not wanting to fight Cotto at Madison Square Garden in New York.

Canelo and his promoters at Golden Boy are still trying to figure out who his next opponent will be in November or December. Joshua Clottey, James Kirkland and Demetrius Andrade have been mentioned as possible opponents.

Clottey’s name is the strangest one on the list, because he’s only fought a handful of times since his one-sided loss to Manny Pacquiao back in 2010. Clottey did recently defeat Australian Anthony Mundine, but only hardcore boxing fans in the United States know about that fight.

Clottey has been out of the loop for so long that the newer casual boxing fans have no idea who he is. Hardcore boxing fans know who Clottey is, but they likely would have very, very little interest in seeing Clottey vs. Canelo. That’s fight that’s on par with Canelo’s recent mismatch against Alfredo Angulo. Canelo-Clottey is a weak fight in my view. No wonder Canelo reportedly is going to make his next fight on regular Showtime rather than pay-per-view. How would Canelo sell a fight against Clottey? If this was 2010, before Clottey was easily beaten by Manny Pacquiao, it still wouldn’t sell. Clottey is now 36 and not the fighter he was years ago, but perhaps that’s why he’s being targeted by Canelo.

Canelo is coming off of a disappointing 12 round decision win over Erislandy Lara last July. Canelo appeared to lose the fight in the eyes of a lot of boxing fans, but instead in giving Lara a rematch, Canelo is moving on with a certain amount of stink following him from his tainted win.

They'll probably still fight in New York.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Roach wants Cotto to fight Mayweather after Canelo

Quote:

By Dan Ambrose: Trainer Freddie Roach say that he wants his fighter WBC middleweight champion Miguel Cotto to fight one more guy after his fight against Saul “Canelo” Alvarez next year, and that’s a rematch with Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Cotto would then retire after those two fights without facing Gennady Golovkin. As far as Cotto’s next fight on December 13th, Roach said Andy Lee or James Kirkland is two of the names they’re looking at.

Kirkland is a junior middleweight, and Lee fights at 154 and 160. If Cotto does face Mayweather and Canelo in his last two fights of his career then he’d be defending his WBC middleweight title in back to back fights against non-middleweights. If Cotto fights Kirkland then it would be three straight fights for Cotto against non-middleweights.

I don’t know of any middleweights champions in the past that have fought three straight fights against non-middleweights in defending their titles. Cotto would be a world champion 160 in name only if he’s defending over and over and over again against non-middleweights.

The thing is that Cotto might not be able to do this while holding onto the WBC middleweight title because Golovkin is fighting WBC interim middleweight champion Marco Antonio Rubio in October. If Golovkin wins that fight, then he’ll be the mandatory challenger for Cotto.

The World Boxing Council will allow Cotto to fight his voluntary defense in December and then another voluntary defense in May against Canelo, but after that, Cotto will need to defend against his mandatory challenger. He can’t have three voluntary defenses in a row. He can maybe take a unification fight if he wants to, but there’s no one for him to fight that has a name. Golovkin would likely knock Cotto out worse than Antonio Margarito did, Sam Soliman would out-box him, and Peter Quillin would be too big for him.

“I don’t think Canelo would love it,” Roach said to Radio Raheem in regards to Canelo fighting Cotto at Madison Square Garden. “I don’t think he’s brave enough to go into the lion’s den. There’s one guy out there that he said he can knockout if he’s in the kind of shape. Mayweather. There could be a rematch. He [Cotto] said ‘Freddie, if I fought him if I was in this kind of shape [the shape Cotto was when he beat 39-year-old Sergio Martinez] you got me in, I would have knocked him out.”

Roach then added that he thinks Mayweather will pull out of his rematch with Marcos Maidana next month saying, “Don’t be surprised if he pulls out of that fight.”

Roach also recently said don’t be surprised if Mayweather retires after the Maidana fight. So Roach is kind of on the retirement thing with him thinking Mayweather will retire either before or after the Maidana fight in order to presumably avoid fights.

Mayweather already beat Cotto by slugging with him. I don’t see there being any difference in a rematch. But if Mayweather does take that fight and beats Cotto a second time, I wouldn’t be surprised to hear Roach saying they were robbed and that they would beat him in a third fight if they were in tip top condition.

If you look at the kind of condition Cotto was in for the Mayweather fight in 2012, there’s no way Cotto wasn’t in the best shape for that fight. He’s 2 years older now, and I don’t think he’s even as good as he was when he fought Mayweather in 2012, and he’s definitely not as good a fighter as the one that Antonio Margarito destroyed in 2008.

I expect Cotto to get knocked out by Canelo next year, and I fully expect him to get knocked out by Kirkland if he fights him in December. Andy Lee is beatable, but why is Cotto taking a soft job like that age 33? It doesn’t make sense other than it being a title milking fight without Cotto fighting a real threat to him at 160.

About time the WBC steps in and makes Cotto fight a bonafide middleweight. Then again, you literally can't spell corrupt without WBC. They find a way to mess it up.

The fact that Roach would tries to make Golovkin come down as low as 152 to fight for a title which is at 160, says a lot.

Last edited by doughboy90650 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject:

J'Leon Love getting dropped nicely ..........
Nissan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:

They'll probably still fight in New York.

The fight will take place in Vegas because money talks. They can make more money in Vegas than NYC. Why should Canelo go fight Cotto in NYC when Cotto already turned down Canelo in the past?

Canelo doesn't need Cotto. Canelo should fight Kirkland in December.

If I was DLH this is what I would do....

Since Canelo's contract with the MGM Grand expired in his last fight I would have Canelo fight in San Antonio against Kirkland. Put another good fight as the co main event and you will have a sell out with solid PPV numbers.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject:

I can see that in San Antone. Reason I think they'll fight in New York is Roach trying to get every advantage he can. Take Canelo out of his comfort zone. The gate if in San Antone or even Dallas would be nice.

Each side is going to claim they are the A side. Could cause problems but fight should be easily made.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWFee9_luRY

Couldn't believe he got KTFO so easily. He was already getting tagged with clean shots before that last one.

marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:
Swooped up 11 tickets for GGG vs. Rubio / Nonito vs. Walters. Gonna be worth it, just for those two fights.

how much were the tickets if you dont mind me asking.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
kcxiv wrote:
BHop is one of the all time greats. i dont see how he cant be. What he's doing at his age is amazing.

Co-Sign.

My third favorite boxer of all time behind Ali and Smokin' Joe.

Rewatched the HBO doc on Ali/Frazier I that's been growing dust in my tivo. Good description was made of Joe's left hook as a "truth machine". Don't know of another boxer who did that much damage with a single punch. He chopped down Big Buster Mathis like a big ol' oak tree. He was one of 3 guys to knock Ali down, his head rolled around on his neck, which speaks for itself because Ali's chin was his most overlooked strength lest it's in the sobering realization of how much punishment he absorbed throughout his career (his fight against Holmes in 80 a clear example of how not going down hurt him long term). Even with Joe's most flush left hook on Ali's face in the 3 fights, Ali got right back up in a second after his head smacked the canvas hard. The left side of Ali's face was swollen proving how many hooks he took that night, but Joe had to get murdered to get close enough. Joe wasn't the pure talent that Ali was, but he was all guts. A true champion. I think he's seen that way more today than in the heat of those times. Of course, he had the personal motivation to destroy with the dumb/ugly/Tom stuff. Interesting how he was Ali's greatest single opponent ever while he was so completely mismatched against Big George.

I'm assuming you've seen the fights between Joe's son Marvis and a younger Larry Holmes and then Mike Tyson. Talk about destruction. Marvis might've been fortunate to walk away from Iron Mike with his life. I'm not exaggerating that much. Joe had the perfect sports parent perspective towards Marvis. "I don't care if you lose every fight, yer my son and I love you."
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWFee9_luRY

Couldn't believe he got KTFO so easily. He was already getting tagged with clean shots before that last one.

Go back and watch the reactions from TMT and I guess his mother running to the ring. There's some different angles of Love's right leg just trembling. Try standing on that.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
Laker_Dynasty wrote:

Presented by K2 Promotions and GGG Promotions in association with Promociones Del Pueblo, advance tickets priced at $210, $105, $53 and $27, plus applicable service charges will be available online at AXS.com, by phone at 888-9-AXS-TIX (888-929-7849) and at the StubHub Center Box Office (Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. PT to 6 p.m. PT).
Read more at http://www.boxingnews24.com/2014/08/golovkin-rubio-tickets-on-sale-for-mexican-style/#oe0QsByxTBoDg6VE.99
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
Laker_Dynasty wrote:

I got a group discount, but I'm not sure if the rate I was given was for everyone or just because I've purchased a lot of tickets in the past already.

Either way, when I get back to the office, I'll find the number to call for group ticket purchase.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 312, 313, 314 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 313 of 514
Jump to: