Ryan Kelly Q&A - Wes Johnson working out with Kobe
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject:

If it's at a Ryan Kelly type contract though, is it really that big of a deal if you're on the hook for him?

I would've signed Wes to a multi year deal without any hesitation.

Sometimes it takes players years to "get it"

Gerald Green was on the Lakers training camp roster and averaged 15 points per game last year.. basically DOUBLE of what his average has been since he entered the league up until this point.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject:

ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
If it's at a Ryan Kelly type contract though, is it really that big of a deal if you're on the hook for him?

I would've signed Wes to a multi year deal without any hesitation.

Sometimes it takes players years to "get it"

Gerald Green was on the Lakers training camp roster and averaged 15 points per game last year.. basically DOUBLE of what his average has been since he entered the league up until this point.

The thing is, Wes doesn't sign that kind of deal IMO. He's trying to get paid, so he takes one year deals looking to break out. Lakers aren't giving him more than minimum or thereabouts guaranteed either. And while you may not mind eating small deals here and there, you don't have to manage the cap. You can say that because there are no repercussions for it. Nothing accrues either way. If he breaks out and gets paid, you can say I told you so. If he doesn't, we'll, it's not like people are going to be chasing you down about it. And either way, not your responsibility.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject:

Isn't that what everybody here does though? Did I say something wrong? Lol. I was just suggesting that 1.5 to 2 million a year wouldn't have crippled the Lakers cap space in the long run.

In any case if what you're suggesting is true then Wesley Johnson is playing a rather dangerous game lol. He's still young enough to "cash out" on a sizable contract though. A Lance Stephenson-like (in terms of years/options not salary) wouldn't have been Wesley's final contract should he have a break-out season so why not get guaranteed money?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject:

ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
Isn't that what everybody here does though? Did I say something wrong? Lol. I was just suggesting that 1.5 to 2 million a year wouldn't have crippled the Lakers cap space in the long run.

In any case if what you're suggesting is true then Wesley Johnson is playing a rather dangerous game lol. He's still young enough to "cash out" on a sizable contract though. A Lance Stephenson-like (in terms of years/options not salary) wouldn't have been Wesley's final contract should he have a break-out season so why not get guaranteed money?

I'm not saying you said something wrong. I'm asserting that your opinion on the contract is not realistic in the circumstance, and that you're cavalier about the money because you don't have to live with the results.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject:

If Wes breaks out and is worth $5 mil a season, the Lakers will pay him $5 mil a season. That would be a bargain for them if he is worth it.
SemperMalum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Ryan Kelly

jamnjb wrote:
Ryan Kelly finished the year ninth among rookies in minutes (22.8), seventh in points (8.0) and field goal percentage (42.3), 11th in rebounds (3.7), fifth in 3-point field goal percentage (33.8) and third in free throw percentage (81.5). He was also 10th or 12th in block shots among rookies.
So the Lakers got a top 10 overall rookie at the 46th pick. Has to be one of, if not THE steal of the draft. Good work by the Lakers scouting dept.

He was a steal because he was injured into the draft. He was projected higher but that injury left questions which allowed him to drop. Probably for the better though.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: