7-Foot Phenom
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akbroker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: 7-Foot Phenom

17 Years Old

Video Link

Hope the injury bug doesn't bite him. Would be amazing to watch him when he reaches his 20s.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject:

I agree, he looks pretty damn good. But I don't understand why anyone would call him "revolutionary." Is it because he can cross and fade away? Because Dirk can do that. Or is it because he can cross and get to the rim? Because Durant (who is also a 7 footer, I don't care what anyone says) can do that.

I'm sure he'll be a high pick in the draft and he might have an amazing career if he stays healthy, but I don't agree with the "revolutionary" tag.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject:

I don't see anything special other than he's really long. I mean, it's a great story and I wish him as much success as possible, but I'm not ready to hype him based on what is in those videos.

He didn't show any spectacular moves or skills. I can go to any high school and find multiple players who can do everything he does, and maybe a few that are kind of tall, though not as tall.

We need waaaaaay more proof to say anything more at this point.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject:

I found this kid more impressive, though he is short.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2014/2/12/5404492/thon-maker-mixtape-highlights-chicago
onepinoyboy8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject:

would of been more impressed if he had big man post skills. A big man like him should take advantage of his size
onepinoyboy8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1ru0AIKSfM

pretty good court vision but nothing else that really excels him over any high school star
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject:

12 wrote:
I agree, he looks pretty damn good. But I don't understand why anyone would call him "revolutionary." Is it because he can cross and fade away? Because Dirk can do that. Or is it because he can cross and get to the rim? Because Durant (who is also a 7 footer, I don't care what anyone says) can do that.

I'm sure he'll be a high pick in the draft and he might have an amazing career if he stays healthy, but I don't agree with the "revolutionary" tag.

He looks like he has good skills, but you can't really judge anything from a highlight reel. Everyone looks amazing in a highlight reel.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1ru0AIKSfM

He's the type of player that other guys can easily catch up to as they get a little older and go onto higher levels of competition. A 7-footer is always a 7-footer.
RobbDrop32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject:

He reminds me of Kevin Garnett. I'm not saying that's who he is going to be but his size, length, frame, ball handling, vision, jumper, step back and speed all remind me of a young Garnett.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2014/2/12/5404492/thon-maker-mixtape-highlights-chicago

Good read. Nice to see that the creator asks the players, parents, and coaches if they're ok with with him producing the vids.

People should take these mixtapes for what they are, enjoy them but don't put much value on them.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject:

12 wrote:

Durant has the purer jumpshot.

Nowitzki looked gangly and uncoordinated at the same age.

Thon has the possibility to be stronger than both.

Both Dirk and Kevin excel from the perimeter. Thon Maker is getting there, but seems far more adept to attacking the basket and working the mid-range/high post.

Some would argue that Thon is soft, because he doesn't play the post despite having size/length.

Still, it puzzles me how guys like McGrady and Kobe Bryant had more advanced skill level by age.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject:

I was impressed by his ball handling skills. I've not seen a man of his size go through the legs, behind the back, cross over, dribble through traffic as this kids able to do.

He can take it to the rim, has a sweet jumper with range. Looks to be a player with a great NBA future.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
12 wrote:

Both Dirk and Kevin excel from the perimeter. Thon Maker is getting there, but seems far more adept to attacking the basket and working the mid-range/high post.

Some would argue that Thon is soft, because he doesn't play the post despite having size/length.

Still, it puzzles me how guys like McGrady and Kobe Bryant had more advanced skill level by age.

I know people say take highlight tapes with a grain of salt, but they show the potential that is there. This dude does things no 7' footer has the right to do. His potential is GOAT. but that'll depend on coaching, ability of his body to be injury free, mental makeup etc. I can't see him not being all NBA multiple times.
LoLakers13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject:

RobbDrop32 wrote:
He reminds me of Kevin Garnett. I'm not saying that's who he is going to be but his size, length, frame, ball handling, vision, jumper, step back and speed all remind me of a young Garnett.

This. And if he really is just 17, he will grow even taller. Which could be good but could cause him health problems. He has the potential to do great in the NBA.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
12 wrote:

I know people say take highlight tapes with a grain of salt, but they show the potential that is there. This dude does things no 7' footer has the right to do. His potential is GOAT. but that'll depend on coaching, ability of his body to be injury free, mental makeup etc. I can't see him not being all NBA multiple times.

You know what's crazy?

When everyone is looking for an All-World player, and by the time a guy is 14/15 years old, they know if he will or won't.

Thon Maker looks like a hybrid Durant/LaMarcus Aldridge. Prefers face up game, long twos, attacking the basket.

Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Anyone that is not impressed by this video should stop smoking that stuff. Very impressive agility and skills. Does this one video mean this is the greatest 7' footer of all time , of course not, but I look forward to seeing this kid developed.
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject:

It would be gun to see someone who's 7'4 and has handles, speed, and super athletic. He'd be in a league of his own
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject:

a2j1m wrote:
It would be gun to see someone who's 7'4 and has handles, speed, and super athletic. He'd be in a league of his own

He's only 17. That means he's still growing. I hope he doesn't get much taller. He may lose some speed if he gets heavier and some handles if he has to bend more. When, not if, he gets to the pros it's going to be fun watching him develop.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Justwar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
a2j1m wrote:

He's only 17. That means he's still growing. I hope he doesn't get much taller. He may lose some speed if he gets heavier and some handles if he has to bend more. When, not if, he gets to the pros it's going to be fun watching him develop.

everyones so hyped about him, and he's not even the best player in his class. Henry Giles is the better big. Maker just has a better mix tape.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject:

a2j1m wrote:

Ralph Sampson was closest.

Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Justwar wrote:
jodeke wrote:
a2j1m wrote:

everyones so hyped about him, and he's not even the best player in his class. Henry Giles is the better big. Maker just has a better mix tape.

eh? not really, Giles seems more polished than impressive, the nba loves its mismatches, and Maker is a mismatch waiting to happen on a nightly basis.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Justwar wrote:
jodeke wrote:
a2j1m wrote:

Giles is only 6'9 and doesn't have the handles or moves of Maker.

AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Please tell me we have our pick in 2017...
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
Please tell me we have our pick in 2017...

Orlando gets it, I believe

Hopefully we've pulled ourselves out of mediocrity before that though.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: