THE Political Thread (All Political Discussion Here)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 131, 132, 133 ... 886, 887, 888  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject:

Any who missed Elizabeth Warren on the Late show with David Letterman on 9/3 it's going to re-air tonight. 9/15

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamhartung/2014/09/05/obama-outperforms-reagan-on-jobs-growth-and-investing/
NickF
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Obama will be the 4th president to bomb Iraq after Bush Sr., Clinton, Bush Jr.
Whatever the problem, the solution is bomb Iraq.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject:

NickF wrote:
Obama will be the 4th president to bomb Iraq after Bush Sr., Clinton, Bush Jr.
Whatever the problem, the solution is bomb Iraq.

While true, technically the US is not bombing the nation of Iraq, against the wishes of the leadership, but militants within, with the approval of the leadership.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject:

Eric Holder To Resign As Attorney General

LINK

AG is a difficult position to sit. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. I hope he stays long enough to finish the job in Ferguson.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

LINK

AG is a difficult position to sit. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. I hope he stays long enough to finish the job in Ferguson.

It's a tough job. 6 years is a long time.

He'll probably go back to his old firm and make $1.5m plus a year and rack up speaking fees.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject:

I don't always agree with all of the policy (like drugs), but that is more the administration's marching orders. I will give holder the same credit as his boss for doing his job with some class and decency while hyper partisan critics took endless shots at him with a variety of thinly veiled racist barbs being the norm.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

He'll probably go back to his old firm and make $106 million plus a year and rack up speaking fees.

Speaking fees alone would suit my needs. I think Clinton makes about 1.6 million a year for his appearances.

It's a paid vacation compared to what he's doing now.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
I don't always agree with all of the policy (like drugs), but that is more the administration's marching orders. I will give holder the same credit as his boss for doing his job with some class and decency while hyper partisan critics took endless shots at him with a variety of thinly veiled racist barbs being the norm.

I trust you understand where I'm coming from when I say that duo handles things similar to how Jackie Robinson handled his "First."

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject:

I hear Alberto Gonzales earns $27 an hour for his speaking fees. . . .
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

He'll probably go back to his old firm and make $1.5m plus a year and rack up speaking fees.

Speaking fees alone would suit my needs. I think Clinton makes about 1.6 million a year for his appearances.

I thought he made way more than that. I heard he gets close to $500k for some arrangements.

Obama will be commanding the same or more when he's finished.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

I thought he made way more than that. I heard he gets close to $500k for some arrangements.

Half of it being for security costs to guard against "True American Patriots".

!...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

You're right I misread.

First on CNN: Bill Clinton's $106 million speech circuit windfall

LINK

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Obama Draws Criticism For ‘Coffee Cup’ Salute

LINK

Talkin bout a brain fart, this is top of the charts. LOL! I don't remember any president that actually saluted in the correct fashion. They usually kinda tap their foreheads.

President Obama must have had a lot on his mind saluting with a caffe latte in his saluting hand. I'm sure he meant no disrespect to our armed services. Luckly he didn't spill any on his Hartmarx.

Bush salute with a dog in his hands.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Gotta admit that while I have my disappointments in Obama (ironically because he's the opposite of a radical leftist), one of the things I like most about him is the willingness to publicly admit a mistake and to even change course.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

LINK

Talkin bout a brain fart, this is top of the charts. LOL! I don't remember any president that actually saluted in the correct fashion. They usually kinda tap their foreheads.

President Obama must have had a lot on his mind saluting with a caffe latte in his saluting hand. I'm sure he meant no disrespect to our armed services. Luckly he didn't spill any on his Hartmarx.

Pretty dumb criticisms. Presidents have been making distracted salutes for decades. My favorite criticism had to be from Eric Bolling from Fox News. He condemned Obama for disrespecting the troops who risk their lives, and then ten minutes later made his infamous "Boobs on the ground" joke about the first female UAE pilot.

http://gawker.com/fox-news-host-apologizes-for-sexist-boobs-on-the-groun-1639861324
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Pretty dumb criticisms. Presidents have been making distracted salutes for decades. My favorite criticism had to be from Eric Bolling from Fox News. He condemned Obama for disrespecting the troops who risk their lives, and then ten minutes later made his infamous "Boobs on the ground" joke about the first female UAE pilot.

http://gawker.com/fox-news-host-apologizes-for-sexist-boobs-on-the-groun-1639861324

Presidents didn't even do the whole salute thing until Reagan, IIRC.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject:

And FWIW, the salute is not and never has been about the senior man showing respect for the junior man. It is a physical reminder of the very important and very real distinction between the enlisted and officer class (because in war time, an officer will give orders both parties know the man receiving the orders will likely or certainly die from). It is designed to instill, by repetition, the i say jump and you say how high instinct. Pavlovian discipline of masters over expendables.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: The RNC and the Fox-Beloved Ben Carson Believe in the Pollyanna Approach to History

Fox News' Ben Carson Thinks New AP U.S. History Course Will Make Students Join ISIS

You've got to be kidding . . .

Now isn't there at least one someone who posts in this thread who swoons at the thought of this character?

From the article:

Quote:
In recent weeks, controversy surrounding the course has gained increased national attention, as hundreds of students from the Jefferson County School District in Colorado have staged ongoing protests after a conservative school board member proposed forming committees to review the course and make sure it properly promotes patriotism. Teachers in the district have also participated in numerous "sick-outs," where large groups called in sick to protest the proposal. [bold mine]

The new conservative approach to history (really, just like the old in that the distortion of history towards ideology is favored), now also believes painting the US favorably, rather than accurately, is to be preferred.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...n_5910982.html
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject:

I hope it isn't the APUSH class my son is taking. I don't want him to behead me in the night.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: The Big Five Niner!

The unemployment rate dropped to 5.9% for Sept 14.

As Ronald Reagan asked, are you better off today than four years ago, one could ask the same regarding the last five budget years.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I hope it isn't the APUSH class my son is taking. I don't want him to behead me in the night.

Somehow I suspect your headless corpse would still be able to log on and post.
No. 17
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Big Five Niner!

ribeye wrote:

As Ronald Reagan asked, are you better off today than four years ago, one could ask the same regarding the last five budget years.

If you want to trust these numbers, go ahead. Goverment statistics could be manuipulated and altered in so many ways that they're really easy to mistrust.

I know one thing though, things were much much better in this country economically during the Reagan years than they are now. Not saying Obama is the one who screwed it up. He definitely inherited a mess.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Big Five Niner!

No. 17 wrote:
ribeye wrote:

If you want to trust these numbers, go ahead. Goverment statistics could be manuipulated and altered in so many ways that they're really easy to mistrust.

I know one thing though, things were much much better in this country economically during the Reagan years than they are now. Not saying Obama is the one who screwed it up. He definitely inherited a mess.

These are the same numbers that Reagan used, the same methodology, though there is some difference in how they collect the data today.

We were told the data was manipulated before the 2012 election, yet the numbers never changed from the original posting.

Yes, things were better, in some respects, in Reagan's first five years. Taxes were higher (the highest rate was still at 50%) so there was greater revenue potential and spending went up 8.3% per year on average for his first five budgets. When the government takes out its credit card, it can live high on the hog.
No. 17
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Big Five Niner!

ribeye wrote:
No. 17 wrote:
ribeye wrote:

These are the same numbers that Reagan used, the same methodology, though there is some difference in how they collect the data today.

We were told the data was manipulated before the 2012 election, yet the numbers never changed from the original posting.

Yes, things were better, in some respects, in Reagan's first five years. Taxes were higher (the highest rate was still at 50%) so there was greater revenue potential and spending went up 8.3% per year on average for his first five budgets. When the government takes out its credit card, it can live high on the hog.

I don't think printing money is a much better solution.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 131, 132, 133 ... 886, 887, 888  Next
Page 132 of 888
Jump to: