Boardwalk Empire
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Comparing this last season to how Sons of Anarchy's started, BE is looking like garbage. SOA didnt cut the season down by 30%, they're actually making it longer by having a lot of the episodes be 90-120 minutes(with commercials) yet the pacing is much better.

I know BE is a balance between a slow burn drama and some good ol mob action packed scenes but it seems to be burning extremely slow these first two episodes. I'm the same way I felt about Dexter and Trueblood's final seasons; mostly watching it to see it end since I've invested so much in the earlier seasons even thought the quality has dropped off.

I hope the next 6 episodes step it up because the first two were pretty 'meh' for me.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject:

I'm still watching but around the time Richard Harrow bit the dust, interest is waning. That and the show's drop in quality.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
I'm still watching but around the time Richard Harrow bit the dust, interest is waning. That and the show's drop in quality.

Yeah, Harrow was my favorite character after Jimmy got killed. Now I'm rooting for Chalky and just wanna see Al and Lucky do some crazy stuff. I'm not even really interested in Nucky anymore.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Yeah, Harrow was my favorite character after Jimmy got killed. Now I'm rooting for Chalky and just wanna see Al and Lucky do some crazy stuff. I'm not even really interested in Nucky anymore.

Which is a shame because I actually liked Nucky. Narcisse was an ok villain but a letdown after Gyp Rosetti.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, Gyp was so interesting. Narcisse started out with a lot of potential but ended up being rather boring.
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Which is a shame because I actually liked Nucky. Narcisse was an ok villain but a letdown after Gyp Rosetti.

Man, that was such a great character. I was bummed that they only used him for 1 season.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Yeah, Gyp was so interesting. Narcisse started out with a lot of potential but ended up being rather boring.

Yeah, he got owned by the government. Seems he's in the country illegally and immigrations has him by the short hairs.

In the beginning he presented a new kind of gangster. Now it looks like he's going to be a plant to bring Nucky down.

When Chalky escaped was the guy he escaped with the Lou Gossett Jr character, Oscar? He was killed when Narcisse's men found Chalky at his backwoods place.

I wonder if Daughter Maitland and Chalky will have any meaning in the closing plots? It closed last season with her singing at a backwoods juke joint.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject:

So much better than the last season which was a tremendous waste of time. Best things about it are 1.) no Narcisse--Christ, what a boring, poorly written character--and 2.) Young Nucky.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
So much better than the last season which was a tremendous waste of time. Best things about it are 1.) no Narcisse--Christ, what a boring, poorly written character--and 2.) Young Nucky.

That's gotta be most fans' gripe. Narcisse was Death. He sucked your soul out of you through your screen.

If you were to discover that Nuck flashbacks would be weaved thru the first 4+ eps (perhaps all season long), you might be worried, especially after Seas 4, but they close up questions that the viewer has built up all along - namely the genesis of his relationship with The Commodore and Gillian. The association of those two are probably coming soon, you can bet that'll be a hard left turn. What's interesting is that to me, the younger slickster/huckster version of The Commodore is more interesting a character in his acting style than Dabney. He's out-Dabneying Dabney. He introduces to Nuck the "It's bad for business..." meme. I gotta find a way to use that here. I liked the scene at the dinner table at the Sheriff's house where Nuck started to cry looking at the calm interaction of a non-dysfunctional fam. Good acting by that little scamp. He's not an annoying child actor, that helps.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:46 am    Post subject:

sickside323 wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Man, that was such a great character. I was bummed that they only used him for 1 season.

When you got a character as good as Gyp, you keep him alive as long as you can. Anything else is bad for business...
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
C M B wrote:

That's gotta be most fans' gripe. Narcisse was Death. He sucked your soul out of you through your screen.

If you were to discover that Nuck flashbacks would be weaved thru the first 4+ eps (perhaps all season long), you might be worried, especially after Seas 4, but they close up questions that the viewer has built up all along - namely the genesis of his relationship with The Commodore and Gillian. The association of those two are probably coming soon, you can bet that'll be a hard left turn. What's interesting is that to me, the younger slickster/huckster version of The Commodore is more interesting a character in his acting style than Dabney. He's out-Dabneying Dabney. He introduces to Nuck the "It's bad for business..." meme. I gotta find a way to use that here. I liked the scene at the dinner table at the Sheriff's house where Nuck started to cry looking at the calm interaction of a non-dysfunctional fam. Good acting by that little scamp. He's not an annoying child actor, that helps.

I'm gonna cut Dabney a break because for most of his time on the show he was a sickly old coot, and also because only Dabney knows what loneliness and tribulation he faced during whatever the (bleep) it was that Dabney Coleman had been doing for the prior 20 years.

I'm really digging the callbacks to Nucky's youth. When done right it's beautiful cinema. When done wrong, it's a sitcom featuring Daniel Stern's voice over. And you're right, that kid is an HBO-quality child actor.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
C M B wrote:

I'm gonna cut Dabney a break because for most of his time on the show he was a sickly old coot, and also because only Dabney knows what loneliness and tribulation he faced during whatever the (bleep) it was that Dabney Coleman had been doing for the prior 20 years.

There was an ominous scene where Nuck spotted a scrapbook full of pictures of boys and girls on The Commodore's desk (I think it was). "Whatever the (bleep) The Commodore had been doing for the prior 20 years" is probably right upon us. He appears to be like The General from Boogie Nights. I wonder if there's a 1% chance that isn't just a coincidental oddity. The Commodore, The General? You wouldn't think so, but the human mind picks up scraps everywhere.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
C M B wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
C M B wrote:

There was an ominous scene where Nuck spotted a scrapbook full of pictures of boys and girls on The Commodore's desk (I think it was). "Whatever the (bleep) The Commodore had been doing for the prior 20 years" is probably right upon us. He appears to be like The General from Boogie Nights. I wonder if there's a 1% chance that isn't just a coincidental oddity. The Commodore, The General? You wouldn't think so, but the human mind picks up scraps everywhere.

I think it was just girls.

And I meant 20 years/Dabney as in Dabney off-screen. Where the F has he been?

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

And I meant 20 years/Dabney as in Dabney off-screen. Where the F has he been?

Oh, Dabney-Dabney Coleman. Got it. To be honest, with Dabs, the shh that resonates in my head were flicks like 9-to-5 and Modern Problems, that was like 1981, ha. I mean the young mustachioed Dabney just starting to solidify his face in the industry, getting roles appropriately big enough. In this role, as you pointed out, he's forced to play the old coot because, well...he's an old coot and unless you're Jack or Bobby (not the Kennedy brothers), they're gonna knock on your door with an old coot role if they knock at all. Even Jack has played some of those.

Talk about what the ffffuuudge-juh happened to Dabs, did you do a double take when you realized you were watchin' Louis Gossett, Jr? Dayum, I haven't seen him since Enemy Mine, and he played an alien cricket man in that movie. Like R Lee Ermey is forever Sgt Hartman, with Louis, he is that officer calling Richard Gere Mayo-NAISE to me. "Don'tchu eyeball me, boy. I'll gouge out cho eyeballs and SKUUULL(bleep) you ta death..." If you've never gotten to Officer/Gentleman yet, it's a good'n. Unfortunately for Gossett, when they want an old coot who's African-American, they almost always knock on Morgan's door. Jack and Morgan played perhaps the most degrading concept of a coot film, but hey, it's Jack 'n Morgan. How could you go wrong?
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject:

Spoke too soon. Narcisse is back in the picture. Sh's about to get reeeeal boring.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Spoke too soon. Narcisse is back in the picture. Sh's about to get reeeeal boring.

Nother bleh episode...as the series rounds down. That's disappointing for an HBO show. The claim that they just wanna stick a fork in this show seems about right.

Notha bad showin'...'n as the show runnin' to an end. You disappointin' meh, HBO... D'claim day wanna stick a fork in da show sound bout right...fuh da nonce...

That's the above comment in Chalky.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject:

If they want to keep the show on the road they need to get back to the sex and violence of season one.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Kudos to the actor playing Nucky as a young man. He's got Steve Buscemi's expressions and mannerisms down pat.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Kudos to the actor playing Nucky as a young man. He's got Steve Buscemi's expressions and mannerisms down pat.

How do you like the dentures? They got Buscemi's protruding canine down pat. That scene where the young Nucky was talking to his supposed father-in-law was when they were going thru the full gamut of Buscemi's expressions. I agree, that was "breaking the 4th wall" amusing, they wanted us to notice it.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
If they want to keep the show on the road they need to get back to the sex and violence of season one.

Only 3 more episodes left. They know fans are going to stay till the end.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:

This was a disappointing season. I got spoiled with seasons 1 & 2. I don't see a plot that will allow the show to be picked up.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

This was a disappointing season. I got spoiled with seasons 1 & 2.

No Lucy since Season 2.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:

This was a disappointing season. I got spoiled with seasons 1 & 2. I don't see a plot that will allow the show to be picked up.

The decision to end the series came rather abruptly. Maybe they had to rewrite the original scripts to bring the show to a conclusion quickly.

Personally, I'm still enjoying BE. It doesn't match the incredible Season 3, but it's still my go to show for Sunday @ 6pm.

Trying to get through the last season of True Blood was painful.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject:

The non-nucky storylines have become a casualty of whatever haste the show runners are using.

The Van Alden/Eli angle has degenerated into this sad little comic relief that can only be minimally salvaged in going deep cover on Capone.

The once-mighty Chalky has been written into vagrancy, a single-minded vendetta against the show's most painfully uninteresting character, with a rehash of a worthless love angle with his boring mistress and what we can assume is their lovechild. They killed off Rothstein which now forces Margaret back onto the screen, ugh. So much waste.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
The non-nucky storylines have become a casualty of whatever haste the show runners are using.

The Van Alden/Eli angle has degenerated into this sad little comic relief that can only be minimally salvaged in going deep cover on Capone.

The once-mighty Chalky has been written into vagrancy, a single-minded vendetta against the show's most painfully uninteresting character, with a rehash of a worthless love angle with his boring mistress and what we can assume is their lovechild. They killed off Rothstein which now forces Margaret back onto the screen, ugh. So much waste.

I was surprised Margot Bingham is so thick. I didn't notice she was a plus size woman.

I wonder if she's going to be connected in anyway to the series ending. She was last singing in a backwoods honkey tonk.

I missed last weeks episode. I'll be looking for a repeat.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 27 of 30
Jump to: