Sacramento Kings retiring Peja Stojakovic's number

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Sacramento Kings retiring Peja Stojakovic's number

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/16/kings-retiring-peja-stojakovics-number/

Quote:
Kings retiring Peja Stojakovic’s number

In 1999, the Kings began an eight-year playoff streak that included five straight 50-win seasons and a trip to the Western Conference finals.

The sweet-passing Chris Webber-Vlade Divac big-man tandem defined the best of those teams, and Mike Bibby – once he replaced Jason Williams – earned recognition for carrying Sacramento in its playoff runs.

But don’t forget how good Peja Stojakovic, whose NBA career began in 1999, was during that soan.

The Kings haven’t.

Kings release:

The Sacramento Kings announced today that the #16 jersey of three-time NBA All-Star and NBA Champion Peja Stojakovic will be retired on December 16, when the Kings host the Oklahoma City Thunder at Sleep Train Arena. During his eight seasons in Sacramento, the fan-favorite small forward played more games for the Kings than any player during the Sacramento era and had an immeasurable impact on the community both on and off the court.

“Peja Stojakovic was instrumental in putting Sacramento on the map on a global scale,” said Kings Owner Vivek Ranadivé. “As one of only a select group of Serbian players in the NBA, Peja helped carve out a place for basketball players from all over the world. Recognizing his leadership will be a special moment for fans and the entire Kings organization, as well as a great reminder of the kind of success we are building in Sacramento.”

“My time in Sacramento was the best years of my career and truly some of the best years of my life,” said Stojakovic. “I am proud of what we built in Sacramento and the connection we made with the fans and the community. Kings fans are some of the best fans in the world, and it was an honor to play for them. I want to thank Vivek and the entire Kings family for welcoming me back for this celebration, and I look forward to following the exciting times ahead for the Sacramento Kings.”

“Peja was part of the awesome Kings dynasty that we’re working hard to bring back to Sacramento,” said Kings General Manager Pete D’Alessandro. “His high basketball IQ and unique ability to connect with the fans had a huge impact on the team and the community, and we hope Peja’s passion and determination carry over into this new era of Kings basketball.”

This is a well-deserved honor, one Stojakovic earned by both his peak and longevity in Sacramento. In 2004, he finished fourth in MVP voting, even receiving a first-place vote. And he ranks second in points to Mitch Richmond in franchise history since the Kings moved to Sacramento.

Stojakovic’s No. 16 will become the 11th number retired by the Kings, joining:

1 – Tiny Archibald
2 – Mitch Richmond
4 – Chris Webber
6 – Fans
11 – Bob Davies
12 – Maurice Stokes
14 – Oscar Robertson
21 – Vlade Divac
27 – Jack Twyman
44 – Sam Lacey
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject:

AIRBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject:

They might as well retire the numbers of Doug Christie, Mike Bibby, Bobby Jackson, and Hedo Turkoglu while they're at it. Kind of sad, really.
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject:

TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
They might as well retire the numbers of Doug Christie, Mike Bibby, Bobby Jackson, and Hedo Turkoglu while they're at it. Kind of sad, really.

Don't forget Scott Pollard.
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Look at number 6 on the list of retired numbers..... they are trying to pad their resume.
"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan87 wrote:
TheJellosJigglin' wrote:

Don't forget Scott Pollard.

Shaq made him his bit(h . He was abused so bad that I sort of felt for the guy.
"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Hey, when you win 0 championships the bar is set pretty low.
TheGOATWears#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject:

My fondest memory of Peja was when Rick Fox locked that ass up during the playoffs.
"Love me or hate me; it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, my swagger. Hate my fadeaway, my hunger. Hate that I'm a veteran. A champion. Hate that. Hate it with all your heart. And hate that I'm loved for the exact same reasons."
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject:

I just have to laugh at the comments section of that article...there must have been a bunch of angry Kings fans or Laker haters.....
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject:

Lakersneuron wrote:
Look at number 6 on the list of retired numbers..... they are trying to pad their resume.

They're further padding it with 16.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject:

Marge the Pretzel Lady almost had her apron retired back in 2004. She must be livid right now ... she hit as many clutch shots as Stojakovich.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject:

Lakersneuron wrote:

I came in here to laugh. Then I read the quote about the owners saying Peja was apart of a Kings dynasty.

What dynasty? They didn't win ANYTHING. And dynasties do it for a sustained perios of time.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ok well I'm still laughing, but now I'm a little sorry for them too
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Lakersneuron wrote:

It's appropriate. The rowdy, cow-bell ringing Kings fans we all remember are retired.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

God bless Peja's choking ass.
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Lakersneuron wrote:

I came in here to laugh. Then I read the quote about the owners saying Peja was apart of a Kings dynasty.

What dynasty? They didn't win ANYTHING. And dynasties do it for a sustained perios of time.

Peja was a crucial elements in the dynasty...the LAKERS dynasty!

If he doesn't airball that 3 with about 10 seconds left in the 4th quarter of Game 7, the Lakers probably don't win that game and don't get to 3-peat.

Thanks Peja!
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject:

24KaratGold wrote:
22 wrote:
Lakersneuron wrote:

If he doesn't airball that 3 with about 10 seconds left in the 4th quarter of Game 7, the Lakers probably don't win that game and don't get to 3-peat.

Thanks Peja!

He got some measure of revenge in 2011, unfort. Still can't believe how that Dallas series went down. Damnit.

And to be fair, people forget Peja was injured for most of that 2002 series. I don't think he played until game 5. But yes, that was one of the worst airballs I can remember. Lakers were fortunate to get possession, due to airballs being difficult to defensive rebound. In fact, they seem to result in easy putbacks for the offensive team. And by then, Vlade had fouled out. It took everything to squeeze out that victory.
Who Takes The Blame
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject:

He deserves it especially after what happened in 02 with the rigged game. He's still a champion as a King to me
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject:

Fans? LOL
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject:

24KaratGold wrote:
22 wrote:
Lakersneuron wrote:

Thanks Peja!

So true!! His jersey should be hanging from staples! Right next to the clippers player posters
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
AuraStar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject:

On a related note with the Kings, their trade with Rockets went through, and Gee may be waived. I wonder if the Lakers still have any interest in him...

Last edited by AuraStar on Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

That's exactly what I was thinking when I glanced at this article.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject:

My favorite part of Peja's career was watching the Lakers retire his team over and over again.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: