More Success... Kobe and Duncan or Kobe and Garnett?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Kobe/Duncan. But that has more to do with Duncan. KG is a screaming clown. Wade/Duncan would be successful too. Anthony/Duncan. It's all Duncan.

There's putting numbers, and there's putting up wins. I'll take the wins.
Battiato's Nose
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Kobe Duncan for me, and it's not really that close. I've never been a huge fan of KG's playstyle, and I love Duncan's. IMHO, Duncan is still underrated, even after all the recent praise he's getting.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Duncan by far. I think he's the better player overall and he is also a far more complementary teammate. If Kobe decided to go off on his own in a game, Duncan would have adjusted rather than lashing out. KG and Kobe would have clashed early and often.
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject:

For all of you saying "Duncan hands-down" as if KG were a bum, I'd like to point out that I've never seen Duncan deal with adversity well. I've never seen Duncan win a playoff series he wasn't supposed to win do anything truly sensational on his own merit outside of the shot that he hit right before Fish knocked down .4 on the Spurs.

Duncan has been embarrassed by lesser but more athletic talent in the playoffs. I've never seen this happen to KG outside of the Anthony Peeler incident. But that wasn't basketball though.
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject:

I'm in the Duncan hands down crowd. Comparing Duncan to KG to me is a little like comparing Kobe to DWade. While both Duncan and KO will both go down as all time greats, Duncan is clearly one tier above in the career ranking
-Showtime-
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Kobe/Duncan. That one is close. I'm leaning towards Kobe but that could be because I'm a Laker fan.

Duncan is severely underrated because of his non flashy style but has been the core of the Spurs team which has won multiple championships. Duncan has a lot of intangibles and is extremely unselfish. He could have padded his numbers way more but instead gets the rest of the team involved.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject:

-Showtime- wrote:
Kobe/Duncan. That one is close. I'm leaning towards Kobe but that could be because I'm a Laker fan.

Duncan is severely underrated because of his non flashy style but has been the core of the Spurs team which has won multiple championships. Duncan has a lot of intangibles and is extremely unselfish. He could have padded his numbers way more but instead gets the rest of the team involved.

Duncan is a Caribbean Man so I'll go with him.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:25 am    Post subject:

I might prefer Kobe with David Robinson over either of those two. Robinson was so dominant in an era of great centers. His personality and his lack of fatness would mesh a lot better with Kobe than some other center that played the game.

As for Duncan or KG, I'm not sure which I prefer. It's too close to call for me.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
I think KG gets unwarranted flack for this. Whenever I've seen KG have to knock down a clutch shot, he's done it. That mid-range jumper was money.

He was a very good scorer. The problem is he didn't have that carry his team to victory mentality that Duncan has. The game got close and he ran out to set screens rather than saying give me the ball and let me take you to the promised land.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject:

I'd peg a Duncan/Bryant pairing as having had far superior potential to a Garnett/Bryant set up.

Duncan's size, balanced game, pass-orientation, complementary playing style and proven clutch play at both ends of the court seems a better match to Kobe's alpha style.

Garnett represents a good pairing with Kobe, but a less attractive one.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject:

Battiato's Nose wrote:
Kobe Duncan for me, and it's not really that close. I've never been a huge fan of KG's playstyle, and I love Duncan's. IMHO, Duncan is still underrated, even after all the recent praise he's getting.
Duncan will go down as a top 10 player all time and arguably best at his position. That is not underrated.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject:

saacman5033 wrote:
I'm in the Duncan hands down crowd. Comparing Duncan to KG to me is a little like comparing Kobe to DWade. While both Duncan and KO will both go down as all time greats, Duncan is clearly one tier above in the career ranking
Not even close. In terms of talent, KG and Duncan are very close compared to Wade and 24.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
saacman5033 wrote:
Not even close. In terms of talent, KG and Duncan are very close compared to Wade and 24.

I have Duncan in top 10 all time.

KG, haven't thought about where I'd put him, probably top 20-25.
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
saacman5033 wrote:

I agree that the talent gap between Kobe and DWade is greater than that of Garnett and Duncan, but it's about how you utilize that talent to become a champion. Duncan, Kobe, and DWade have all willed teams to titles as the undisputed leader, Garnett was better off as a complimentary piece.

And like you said, Duncan probably goes down as the greatest at his position. KG is a tier below much the same that DWade is a tier below Kobe
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject:

Kobe and Duncan would have won 7 chips plus.....

Timmy is the perfect compliment to the Bean.

Kiss my Converse.
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject:

cmon, is this really a question? duncan easily. basically duncan himself is responsible for 3 chips. he's the greatest PF of all time. he has no ego and would not have cared to defer to kobe being the loud alpha dog. and who exemplifies consistency better than TD? together they would've been as unstoppable as kobe and shaq except for a longer period of time. you're talking about putting the two unquestioned best players in the post MJ pre lebron generation together on the same team. KG was great--not all time great.
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
For all of you saying "Duncan hands-down" as if KG were a bum, I'd like to point out that I've never seen Duncan deal with adversity well. I've never seen Duncan win a playoff series he wasn't supposed to win do anything truly sensational on his own merit outside of the shot that he hit right before Fish knocked down .4 on the Spurs.

Duncan has been embarrassed by lesser but more athletic talent in the playoffs. I've never seen this happen to KG outside of the Anthony Peeler incident. But that wasn't basketball though.

insanity. you've seen KG handle adversity better than duncan? in what way? you've never seen duncan win a playoff series he wasn't supposed to win? W...T...F...most of his chips have been in western conference horse races. KG spent most of his career not even sniffing the finals--he just wasn't good enough to get there. KG was a great great player--but not CLOSE to what TD has been.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject:

i would go with Kobe and KG, i think either pairing would result in the same amount of rings and i would prefer watching Kobe and KG. KG's head to head playoff stats against Duncan shows he was neck and neck with Duncan, he just didn't have the help Duncan did.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=garneke01&p2=duncati01#stats_playoffs::none
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject:

Frankly, you cannot go wrong with either. I just picked Duncan b/c over say 10-15 years together, you want balancing personalities in the lockerroom. I think KG/Kobe would rip a new one for their teammates, but could ultimately be too grating on the team overall.

Duncan has been widely praised for being a great teammate and leader. He's like the team's "good uncle," which would balance with the uber driven Kobe. Just a better synergy, which is important if you're talking long-term.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Kobe and Duncan? Not even fair.

And the reason why I pick those two? Yin/Yang. Duncan would be a perfect opposite to Kobe. Kobe/KG are too similar and that may burn out teams.

TheGOATWears#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject:

KB and TD, because of this gem!

"Love me or hate me; it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, my swagger. Hate my fadeaway, my hunger. Hate that I'm a veteran. A champion. Hate that. Hate it with all your heart. And hate that I'm loved for the exact same reasons."
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject:

TheGOATWears#24 wrote:
KB and TD, because of this gem!

FTW.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject:

Kobe and KG would be great....but Kobe himself would pick Tim Duncan
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject:

thesource wrote:
Kobe and KG was always my dream pairing. Those two in their prime would have ran this league ala Shaq/Kobe in 2001 playoffs.

I wanted Kobe and KG in the mid 2000's. I still think they would have been able to pull a Butler/Odom trade back then if KG was that interested in LA.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: