Is Jeremy Lin the best PG the Lakers have had since ...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject:

I'm thinking Lin essentially has the upside of a poor man's version of Pete Maravich but the downside of Smush.

Lin doesn't defend very many players well. He's streaky as hell, he'll shoot from anywhere, he's physically overwhelmed by half - or more - of the players he faces, and he's a very clever ball-handler. I never equated to a guy like that to someone needed on a winning team on the floor.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
I'm thinking Lin essentially has the upside of a poor man's version of Pete Maravich but the downside of Smush.

Lin doesn't defend very many players well. He's streaky as hell, he'll shoot from anywhere, he's physically overwhelmed by half - or more - of the players he faces, and he's a very clever ball-handler. I never equated to a guy like that to someone needed on a winning team on the floor.

Wait... what?
lrrp
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject:

Who Takes The Blame wrote:
We can't say anything yet until Lin proves that hes the best PG on the Lakers

+1
Cool426
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject:

MorlockO wrote:
Cool426 wrote:

Delusional!
Lin was on Parker at the beginning of the game and if Lin was so good guarding TP, why was Douglas and later, Parsons guarding him?

I saw this game live... I know what i'm talking about.

Lin was on Parker only when Toney Douglas was out...

The game started with Lin, Delfino, Parsons, Patterson and Asik... first 6 mins of course, lin was guarding Parker... once Douglas comes in, he was the one guarding Parker. Douglas played 42 minutes this game so he was on Parker 70-80% of the time...

and you are crediting Parker's triple double on Lin? when he barely guarded Parker... while ignoring Lin Scoring 38 pts on him?

so who is delusional now?

This was the game harden was injured and Lin was playing more SG.

Now look at how Lin guards Parker fulltime (Beverley is injured):

http://www.nba.com/games/20131225/HOUSAS/gameinfo.html

Parker stats: 6pts, 4 assists, 3 rebs in 30 mins of play.

Originally you said, in which I bolded by calling you delusional, "lin was not guarding Parker that night." Now you are saying only when Douglas was out?nba.com has all the videos of all the assists. Lin was on Parker for 6 of them and most off deep penetrations.

To me, it sounded like credit to Lin when TP had a bad game but has little to do with Lin when he had a career game??

On defensive end, Lin is a league-average defender by most of advanced stats. He is by no mean a premier perimeter defender like Dumar, Coop or Iggy. What is wrong by saying that Lin didn't have a good game defensively and move on? Not saying he didn't have a good game overall; he more than made up for it on the offensive end.

EVERYONE has a bad game or two. Even The King, Air Jordan, or prime Kobe all had their off days. Lin is certainly NOT god and he will have more off games than aforementioned. If he has a bad game as a Laker, some of you need to admit it and move on. There is no reason to cherry picking some of the unimportant stats or playing the blame game to justify that, despite what everyone is saying, Lin doesn't really have a bad game.
13th Man
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject:

The NBA off-season is the worst time of the year for me, can't wait for the season to start to end all this speculation.
MorlockO
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Cool426 wrote:
MorlockO wrote:
Cool426 wrote:

Delusional!
Lin was on Parker at the beginning of the game and if Lin was so good guarding TP, why was Douglas and later, Parsons guarding him?

The game started with Lin, Delfino, Parsons, Patterson and Asik... first 6 mins of course, lin was guarding Parker... once Douglas comes in, he was the one guarding Parker. Douglas played 42 minutes this game so he was on Parker 70-80% of the time...

and you are crediting Parker's triple double on Lin? when he barely guarded Parker... while ignoring Lin Scoring 38 pts on him?

Originally you said, in which I bolded by calling you delusional, "lin was not guarding Parker that night." Now you are saying only when Douglas was out?nba.com has all the videos of all the assists. Lin was on Parker for 6 of them and most off deep penetrations.

To me, it sounded like credit to Lin when TP had a bad game but has little to do with Lin when he had a career game??

No we are specifically talking about this game.

I'm calling you out because you said
Cool426 wrote:

You mean the same Tony Parker who had the game of his career when guarded by Lin? His only triple double!

Which totally not true.

by your video Lin Guarded Parker a total of 6 possessions. Parker had 27 pts (on 18 shots) 12 assists that night, thats a total of at least 30 possessions. so lin was only responsible for 20% of Parkers triple double.

Cool426 wrote:

On defensive end, Lin is a league-average defender by most of advanced stats. He is by no mean a premier perimeter defender like Dumar, Coop or Iggy. What is wrong by saying that Lin didn't have a good game defensively and move on? Not saying he didn't have a good game overall; he more than made up for it on the offensive end.

Did I say anything about Lin being an elite defender? No... but I do believe he is above average defender.

Cool426 wrote:

EVERYONE has a bad game or two. Even The King, Air Jordan, or prime Kobe all had their off days. Lin is certainly NOT god and he will have more off games than aforementioned. If he has a bad game as a Laker, some of you need to admit it and move on. There is no reason to cherry picking some of the unimportant stats or playing the blame game to justify that, despite what everyone is saying, Lin doesn't really have a bad game.

so now you are saying that when lin's man has really low stats that means that they had a bad game? isn't it a bit double standard? so lin never had a good defensive game?

Let me guess, when lin has a good game that means the opposing defense is bad?

January 28, 2014

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400489544

Parker had 17 pts and 4 assists 6-16 shooting (37.5%)

April 14 2014

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400490082

Parker 10 pts 1 assist

Then there is this one game where Lin as injured

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400489118

November 30 2013

Parker 27 pts 8 assists 13- 27 shooting...

you picked the one game 2 years ago when it was Lin's first few games as a houston rocket when Parker had a game of his life and Lin was only guarding him 20 % of the time to say that Lin was not a good defender?

so who is cherry picking now?
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject:

I'm gonna keep expectations low, and simply hope Lin is as good as Kendall Marshall.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
I'm gonna keep expectations low, and simply hope Lin is as good as Kendall Marshall.

nice.....
Cool426
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject:

MorlockO wrote:
Cool426 wrote:
MorlockO wrote:
Cool426 wrote:

Delusional!

Cool426 wrote:

You mean the same Tony Parker who had the game of his career when guarded by Lin? His only triple double!

Which totally not true.

by your video Lin Guarded Parker a total of 6 possessions. Parker had 27 pts (on 18 shots) 12 assists that night, thats a total of at least 30 possessions. so lin was only responsible for 20% of Parkers triple double.

Cool426 wrote:

Did I say anything about Lin being an elite defender? No... but I do believe he is above average defender.

Cool426 wrote:

so now you are saying that when lin's man has really low stats that means that they had a bad game? isn't it a bit double standard? so lin never had a good defensive game?

January 28, 2014

April 14 2014

Parker 10 pts 1 assist

November 30 2013

you picked the one game 2 years ago when it was Lin's first few games as a houston rocket when Parker had a game of his life and Lin was only guarding him 20 % of the time to say that Lin was not a good defender?

First, you said Lin wasn't guarding TP. Then you said only when TD was out. Now you are saying he guarding 20% of scoring chances.

Either you putting out false stats, which you have a habit of doing, or you never passed your math class at school.

Here are breakdown of his 9/18 shots (http://on.nba.com/1o4Uh5X)
Douglas 4/11 (1 fastbreak)
Lin 2/4
Parsons 3/3

12 Assists: (http://on.nba.com/1r7Xhn1)
Lin 6
TD 4 (1 FB)
Others 2

This is not counting the foul shots (4 shooting and a +1 I believe Lin involved at least one shooting foul, Morris 2 and Douglas 1 and a +1). Out of 21 scoring chances, Lin was responsible for 8 of them. That's 38%. Even if you use attempts, it still doesn't add up to 20%.

Despite of what we want to believe, Douglas did a lot better job guarding Parker statistically.
MorlockO
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject:

Cool426 wrote:
MorlockO wrote:
Cool426 wrote:
MorlockO wrote:
Cool426 wrote:

Delusional!

Cool426 wrote:

Which totally not true.

Cool426 wrote:

Cool426 wrote:

January 28, 2014

April 14 2014

Parker 10 pts 1 assist

November 30 2013

First, you said Lin wasn't guarding TP. Then you said only when TD was out. Now you are saying he guarding 20% of scoring chances.

Either you putting out false stats, which you have a habit of doing, or you never passed your math class at school.

Here are breakdown of his 9/18 shots (http://on.nba.com/1o4Uh5X)
Douglas 4/11 (1 fastbreak)
Lin 2/4
Parsons 3/3

12 Assists: (http://on.nba.com/1r7Xhn1)
Lin 6
TD 4 (1 FB)
Others 2

This is not counting the foul shots (4 shooting and a +1 I believe Lin involved at least one shooting foul, Morris 2 and Douglas 1 and a +1). Out of 21 scoring chances, Lin was responsible for 8 of them. That's 38%. Even if you use attempts, it still doesn't add up to 20%.

Despite of what we want to believe, Douglas did a lot better job guarding Parker statistically.

I'm just using basic box scores + Your video against your arguments.

Now that you have seen the actual stats, take a look at what you said again.

Cool426 wrote:

you just argued yourself out of this conversation...
appwrangler
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject:

I don't understand why a small subset of the Lin Fanbase is so determined to irritate the rest of the members, and force formerly neutral fans to make detailed analyses of why Lin is not a great player. As another member said, that's just poor salesmanship. Let the season start and let the numbers speak for themselves.

The restraint of the longtime LG members, like Ocho, is very impressive. Great to see the discussion focused on a rational debate of fact.
-Showtime-
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject:

Just let Lin play his game.

By the way if someone passes off for an assist, it's really not the fault of the person guarding him. Only when he scores. Forcing a pass is normally good defense, it falls on the rest of the team to defend the pass. Otherwise holding someone like Chris Paul to 0 points and 10 assists will be considered bad defense by the person guarding him which it is not. If you are forcing someone to pass, you are not letting them score. Parker scored 2 field goals off Lin for 4 points of his 27, so that doesn't sound like Lin was the main factor defending his scoring.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:40 am    Post subject:

appwrangler wrote:
I don't understand why a small subset of the Lin Fanbase is so determined to irritate the rest of the members, and force formerly neutral fans to make detailed analyses of why Lin is not a great player. As another member said, that's just poor salesmanship. Let the season start and let the numbers speak for themselves.

The restraint of the longtime LG members, like Ocho, is very impressive. Great to see the discussion focused on a rational debate of fact.

Nice join date you got there.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:34 am    Post subject:

kinein
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject:

MorlockO wrote:
Cool426 wrote:
MorlockO wrote:
Cool426 wrote:

Delusional!

Cool426 wrote:

Which totally not true.

Cool426 wrote:

Cool426 wrote:

January 28, 2014

April 14 2014

Parker 10 pts 1 assist

November 30 2013

EPIC ANALYSIS AND REBTTAL! 5 STARS.
kinein
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject:

Cool426 wrote:

Been watching TD for years. He is not as good as Lin bt still wish him the best. Lin does more to to get the team to win. He is a gamer and game-changer. Not only a prolific scoring talent bt also good at finding the open man.
Cool426
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject:

LOL Look at how some of the Lin fanatics came out of woodwork and pat each other on the back. They aren't even diehard Lin's fans b/c dieharders often dish out the hardest criticisms on any fan base.

How convincing can it be about Lin's defense when two of the areas that Lin has been emphasizing during his summer workouts are floaters and DEFENSE? His defense is definitely not one of his strengths, which one of you felt the need to defend when I said Lin's defense is league-average by advance stats.

Here are traits of his fanatics:
1. Can't see Lin for who he is; an NBA player who has his flaws and, just like any NBA player, is opened for criticisms. They rather see Lin the idol who can do no wrong.

2. Ultra sensitive to criticisms. You can post full of praises on Lin but one sentence of criticism, whether just or not, will set them off.

3. Feel the need to defend Lin at all cost. Mob defend/attack/pat each other on the back.

4. Cherry picking stats. I predict if Lin ever has a bad game, one will pick one positive aspect of his stats to show Lin does not really have a bad game.

5. Promote (or hyping) Lin to the extreme with bad salesmanship.

6. Sweep the bad and ugly under the rug. No one will hear anything about his defense against CP3.

I hope wholeheartedly that he makes leaps and bounds on his defense. He might match up well against TP, Lilliard, even Curry, but in the past, he looked like a d-leaguer against CP3. For all our sake, especially for his fanatics, I wish he plays league-average defense when facing CP3 whom I can't stand as a flopper and the biggest whiner in the league.

Contrary to what some of you believe, Lin along with Curry are two of my favorite PG's in the league. If people read both fan sites, they probably come to the conclusion that Lin must be a superstar and Curry is the TO-prone scrub.
tonman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:

no. he's not "physically overwhelmed by half - or more - of the players he faces" unless you're talking about a shooting guard. lin is a point guard. physically and athletically (i.e. quickness) are two different things. he's 6'3 and 200 lbs. how else do you think he does so well finishing at the rim when he's being "physically overwhelmed"?

why is he guarding shooting guards for Houston if he is "physically overwhelmed" while guarding point guards?

btw, smush never scored over 26 pts in a game and only had 2 double doubles. I think lin has already surpassed smush.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject:

tonman wrote:
70sdude wrote:

no. he's not "physically overwhelmed by half - or more - of the players he faces" unless you're talking about a shooting guard. lin is a point guard. physically and athletically (i.e. quickness) are two different things. he's 6'3 and 200 lbs. how else do you think he does so well finishing at the rim when he's being "physically overwhelmed"?

why is he guarding shooting guards for Houston if he is "physically overwhelmed" while guarding point guards?

btw, smush never scored over 26 pts in a game and only had 2 double doubles. I think lin has already surpassed smush.

Stats suck but;

FG. PTS. 3 PT%. APG

The Smush. 441. 11.3. .366. 3.2

Lin. 446. 12.5. .358. 4.1

Their stats aren't all that different comparing Lin's last season with Smush two seasons...of course Smush could not hit a FT, lol.

I'm just bored...
-Showtime-
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Cool426 wrote:
LOL Look at how some of the Lin fanatics came out of woodwork and pat each other on the back. They aren't even diehard Lin's fans b/c dieharders often dish out the hardest criticisms on any fan base.

How convincing can it be about Lin's defense when two of the areas that Lin has been emphasizing during his summer workouts are floaters and DEFENSE? His defense is definitely not one of his strengths, which one of you felt the need to defend when I said Lin's defense is league-average by advance stats.

1. Can't see Lin for who he is; an NBA player who has his flaws and, just like any NBA player, is opened for criticisms. They rather see Lin the idol who can do no wrong.

2. Ultra sensitive to criticisms. You can post full of praises on Lin but one sentence of criticism, whether just or not, will set them off.

3. Feel the need to defend Lin at all cost. Mob defend/attack/pat each other on the back.

4. Cherry picking stats. I predict if Lin ever has a bad game, one will pick one positive aspect of his stats to show Lin does not really have a bad game.

6. Sweep the bad and ugly under the rug. No one will hear anything about his defense against CP3.

I hope wholeheartedly that he makes leaps and bounds on his defense. He might match up well against TP, Lilliard, even Curry, but in the past, he looked like a d-leaguer against CP3. For all our sake, especially for his fanatics, I wish he plays league-average defense when facing CP3 whom I can't stand as a flopper and the biggest whiner in the league.

Firstly, let's drop the labels. There's no reason for Laker fans to get at each other necks when we are all supporting the team and players on it. Having a difference of opinion is allowed.

Secondly, it's true every player has flaws, even MVP and All-Star players (free throws etc). But at least Lin has been working on parts of his game. That's more you can say about a lot of other players. His hard work seems to have paid off, he now can consistently go to his left and has improve his field goal percentage, his three point percentage and free throw percentage every season he's been in the league.

Finally, weren't you on Lin's case about that one game against Tony Parker? You cited that one game and that seems more like cherry picking than anything. Someone responded to you and brought in a few other games for a slightly larger sample size, but then without responding back with counterpoints, you now bring up an entirely different player. Sure you can move on to another player but please at least address all the other posters points as well.

Cool426 wrote:
Contrary to what some of you believe, Lin along with Curry are two of my favorite PG's in the league. If people read both fan sites, they probably come to the conclusion that Lin must be a superstar and Curry is the TO-prone scrub.

Sadly, there is a disjunct between reality and the claims that Lin is one of your favorite point guards from your actual criticisms of him on this site in my humble opinion. I have not seen any Laker fans on this site mention that Lin IS a superstar or that Curry IS a scrub. Hyperbole does not fit in this instance and just magnifies the intent to create a divide.

We're mostly all Laker fans here. Lin is part of the Lakers now, however fans opinions may differ, there is no cause for labeling or animosity.

Again, I'm of the opinion that we should just let Lin play before hyping him up or tearing him down, but the season hasn't started, so I guess fans have to talk about something.

Just my 2 cents.
Xtreme
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject:

"I can't change people's opinions , they can only change it themselves"

-Mike Tyson

It's hard enough to do in real life, a few letters on their own computer screen is sure not gonna cut it.

Besides.... it's their own voice they're hearing when reading your comments from a internet forum
mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:

That is some really low low expectations. Lol. I guessing you are joking
lonlyamongus
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Cool426 wrote:

Even the defensive stopper in Rocket, P Beverly didn't do too good against CP3, it wasn't totally Lin's fault, Rocket's D are known to be prune to P n R, and multiple Screens. They don't seem to have a good defense rotation once a lot of screens are set in place for CP3.
Pgforlife
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:

I don't think there is one single correct assessment here.. Lin defends well, he is highly efficient and doesn't shoot as much as he should, usually is physically stronger and bigger than those he guards, and is considered to be an average ball-handler... No wonder you don't equate a player such as you described to winning. The thing I don't get is why people continue to say these things without having seen his games.. Is it the cool thing to say? I don't get it.
ginia1110
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject:

Its okay for the majority of BB fans to have low expectations of Lin.
Wont it be more exciting if he does well this season albeit all the criticism & doubts?

R.Hibbert, wearing purple & gold next year = my pipe-dream... Lolz
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13
Jump to: