Roger Goodell’s letter to NFL owners on domestic violence, McDonald arrest, Ray Rice video released, Rice contract terminated
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Now is a good time for Goodell to apply the 6 game suspension rule. Won't kill a career, will send a very serious message.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
^ It's not a terrible comparison because it isn't a comparison. Did you read when I said I wasn't equating their situations?

In any event, I thought it wasn't about guilt, but rather, whether one's conduct led to negative impact to the league's brand. If that's the case, whether a law was even broken is irrelevant, right?

Because only the courts can ultimately decide whether or not a person broke a law.

In the end, there are 3 unique cases at hand. You have Rice, where there is video evidence but no conviction. You have Kobe, where it's all basically testimony with only circumstantial evidence and no conviction, and you have Peterson, where there is some evidence but it remains to be seen if his actions are deemed illegal. I say that because the state of Texas allows for "reasonable" corporal punishment.

Only via due process can we know for certain whether or not his actions were within legal limits in his jurisdiction.

This is why I believe that leagues need to let due process play out. Don't succumb to public pressure. The public is not privy to ALL of the information that the courts and lawyers are. Let the legal system do the legal stuff, and if guilt is determined, then a punishment can be applied at that time.

Sure, if you go this path then sometimes situations like Rice will slip through the cracks but at least you won't have potentially punished someone that was never guilty of any crime to begin with.

From the law perspective I agree. From a business perspective the whelps and bruises are enough to take action. Protection of the brand is important, very important. Many lives depend on the brand.

No. From a business perspective, the NFL has gone about this completely the wrong way. Take it from someone in brand marketing. Sometimes, in a crisis, you have to be willing to lose the battle in an effort to win the war.

If I were advising them, I would have said, defer to the courts, allow THEM to be the bad guys because there is no right or wrong action here and any action you take, will be discussed ad nauseum about why it was the wrong action. The Vikings/NFL did what people were saying they wanted with AP and now they've switched gears again t. TV shows don't make money by talking about how right your decision was. Oh, and then, if and when you reverse your action at a later date (i.e. reinstate the suspended player) you're only going to create the storm for yourself AGAIN.

Everyone is operating out of emotion right now. I get why that is, but they just need relax, take a deep breath here and they need to regain control of the conversation. Sponsors are going to pull out because a) it's free publicity and b) you use this tragedy to your benefit by saying you're pulling out because you believe in whatever social issue is at play. And that's exactly what Radisson did to when they had to release a statement and add "...particularly in light of our long-standing commitment to the protection of children...." Why not just pull sponsorship? Why the released statement? Publicity.

Defer legal matters to the legal field and focus on what you do best. Football. That's why people pony up the dough after all.

They weren't willing to lose the battle. IMO they should have suspended AP based on the physicality of the supposed discipline to protect the brand. I can't call what I see a spanking, a spanking I can abide with.
Quote:
From a business perspective the whelps and bruises are enough to take action

Suspending AP does nothing to protect the NFL's brand. What makes you think that?

They've all but suspended him and nothing has changed. The world isn't resting easy now that AP can't play. Now they want to know why is he on the exempt list. When is he coming back. Why wasn't he suspended without pay? Don't you get it? It never stops. You play moral crusader -- you LOSE no matter WHAT you do.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
^ It's not a terrible comparison because it isn't a comparison. Did you read when I said I wasn't equating their situations?

In any event, I thought it wasn't about guilt, but rather, whether one's conduct led to negative impact to the league's brand. If that's the case, whether a law was even broken is irrelevant, right?

Because only the courts can ultimately decide whether or not a person broke a law.

In the end, there are 3 unique cases at hand. You have Rice, where there is video evidence but no conviction. You have Kobe, where it's all basically testimony with only circumstantial evidence and no conviction, and you have Peterson, where there is some evidence but it remains to be seen if his actions are deemed illegal. I say that because the state of Texas allows for "reasonable" corporal punishment.

Only via due process can we know for certain whether or not his actions were within legal limits in his jurisdiction.

This is why I believe that leagues need to let due process play out. Don't succumb to public pressure. The public is not privy to ALL of the information that the courts and lawyers are. Let the legal system do the legal stuff, and if guilt is determined, then a punishment can be applied at that time.

Sure, if you go this path then sometimes situations like Rice will slip through the cracks but at least you won't have potentially punished someone that was never guilty of any crime to begin with.

From the law perspective I agree. From a business perspective the whelps and bruises are enough to take action. Protection of the brand is important, very important. Many lives depend on the brand.

No. From a business perspective, the NFL has gone about this completely the wrong way. Take it from someone in brand marketing. Sometimes, in a crisis, you have to be willing to lose the battle in an effort to win the war.

If I were advising them, I would have said, defer to the courts, allow THEM to be the bad guys because there is no right or wrong action here and any action you take, will be discussed ad nauseum about why it was the wrong action. The Vikings/NFL did what people were saying they wanted with AP and now they've switched gears again t. TV shows don't make money by talking about how right your decision was. Oh, and then, if and when you reverse your action at a later date (i.e. reinstate the suspended player) you're only going to create the storm for yourself AGAIN.

Everyone is operating out of emotion right now. I get why that is, but they just need relax, take a deep breath here and they need to regain control of the conversation. Sponsors are going to pull out because a) it's free publicity and b) you use this tragedy to your benefit by saying you're pulling out because you believe in whatever social issue is at play. And that's exactly what Radisson did to when they had to release a statement and add "...particularly in light of our long-standing commitment to the protection of children...." Why not just pull sponsorship? Why the released statement? Publicity.

Defer legal matters to the legal field and focus on what you do best. Football. That's why people pony up the dough after all.

They weren't willing to lose the battle. IMO they should have suspended AP based on the physicality of the supposed discipline to protect the brand. I can't call what I see a spanking, a spanking I can abide with.
Quote:

Suspending AP does nothing to protect the NFL's brand. What makes you think that?

They've all but suspended him and nothing has changed. The world isn't resting easy now that AP can't play. Now they want to know why is he on the exempt list. When is he coming back. Why wasn't he suspended without pay? Don't you get it? It never stops. You play moral crusader -- you LOSE no matter WHAT you do.

The brand is sustained by sponsors and fans. Both have voiced disapproval of how the league handled AP's dilemma.

Had they suspended him immediately the brand would have been protected both sponsors and fans would have been appeased. Not talking about the right or wrong of it, talking about protecting a product.

OH I get it. The NFL is doing the Texas Side Step. We made a mistake, we have to get this right.

If they had suspended AP in the beginning this would not have been a story. They failed at the inception, now they're looking foolish trying to get it right.

Now the real killer. It's rumored AP will never play for Minnesota again. If that comes to fruition how will it sit with the publics perception of the NFL?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Quote:

The brand is sustained by sponsors and fans. Both have voiced disapproval of how the league handled AP's dilemma.

Had they suspended him immediately the brand would have been protected both sponsors and fans would have been appeased. Not talking about the right or wrong of it, talking about protecting a product.

OH I get it. The NFL is doing the Texas Side Step. We made a mistake, we have to get this right.

If they had suspended AP in the beginning this would not have been a story. They failed at the inception, now they're looking foolish trying to get it right.

Now the real killer. It's rumored AP will never play for Minnesota again. If that comes to fruition how will it sit with the publics perception of the NFL?

It's a very common misconception that if say, Adrian Peterson screws up, that it hurts the NFL's brand. It doesn't. It does nothing to the NFL brand. Even the Ray Rice thing didn't hurt the NFL's brand. No one who planned to order NFL Ticket chose not to because Rice punched his wife. No Seahawks fan dumped his season tickets because of what Ray Rice the Raven did. Everyone I know who plays fantasy, is still playing fantasy. People say "it hurts the brand!" because it sounds sensible (it does, certainly) but it's not real. Today, everyone knows that the NFL can't really control what these guys do off the field. They won't blame the NFL for these players' off-the-field indiscretions.

A huge percentage of players have fathered children out of wedlock -- and the biggest NFL supporters are strict conservative church goers from middle America!

Everyone is trying to be the hero. I get it. Let's SAVE the innocent! I mean, it's a valiant thing. But you can clearly see it's going to be all but impossible for the NFL to handle any situation in way that pleases everybody. In a situation like this, there's only one entity that can hurt the NFL's brand. And that's the NFL. They need to stay out, weather the storm, and the seas will become calm again. They always do.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Oh man. This is really getting crazy.

Now Reggie Bush has gone on record saying he uses corporal punishment on his 1-year old daughter and would do the same thing AP did not try not to leave bruises.

I wonder what the NFL is going to do here.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/9/17/6337689/reggie-bush-radio-adrian-peterson-lions-vikings

This is "negative publicity" that "impacts the brand".
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Quote:

It's a very common misconception that if say, Adrian Peterson screws up, that it hurts the NFL's brand. It doesn't. It does nothing to the NFL brand. Even the Ray Rice thing didn't hurt the NFL's brand. No one who planned to order NFL Ticket chose not to because Rice punched his wife. No Seahawks fan dumped his season tickets because of what Ray Rice the Raven did. Everyone I know who plays fantasy, is still playing fantasy. People say "it hurts the brand!" because it sounds sensible (it does, certainly) but it's not real. Today, everyone knows that the NFL can't really control what these guys do off the field. They won't blame the NFL for these players' off-the-field indiscretions.

A huge percentage of players have fathered children out of wedlock -- and the biggest NFL supporters are strict conservative church goers from middle America!

Everyone is trying to be the hero. I get it. Let's SAVE the innocent! I mean, it's a valiant thing. But you can clearly see it's going to be all but impossible for the NFL to handle any situation in way that pleases everybody. In a situation like this, there's only one entity that can hurt the NFL's brand. And that's the NFL. They need to stay out, weather the storm, and the seas will become calm again. They always do.

OK, now I see where you're coming from. I was talking about perception, you're talking about sales. You're correct the handling won't hurt sales.

Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Maybe the NFL should just cease to exist.

Fine by me.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I'm not sure if I'm not communicating my question clearly, you're not getting it, or you're actually the one jerking this. Ha. Come on. Ok, here, I'll break it out. Two questions.

1) Someone or some governing body has to decide whether or not a person is guilty of doing an act that negatively impacts the league brand. So again, who in your mind is that governing body?

2) How upset would you be, if a player was accused of a very serious assault charge, and the league did not act to immediately suspend that player?

I've already answered these, but I'll do it again.

1. Both the league and the team, depending on type and severity of offense. The team has the right to protect their brand as does the league. Players have conduct clauses. The league nor the team need a judge to impose a penalty to detrimental conduct. As it should be.

2. Depends on the circumstances and the evidence. If we have video? I'd expect immediate action.

See, that's just a cop out. The NFL has taken many, many hits over the past few years including criminal activity from many of it's players to it's own coverup of it's dirty handed dealings in player concussions. Yet, it's popularity has never been higher and it's pre-eminance as America's favorite sport is unquestioned. It is bullet proof and all of the grandstanding and outrage at ESPN isn't going to change that.

So your argument is that because past scandals have not destroyed the league, it can and should ignore current ones, and has no right, or need, to defend its brand?

Put words in my mouth much?

My argument is that knee jerk reactions without due process having been completed is wrong especially when the league has been proved bullet proof throughout it's history and never more so than now.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Now Reggie Bush has gone on record saying he uses corporal punishment on his 1-year old daughter and would do the same thing AP did not try not to leave bruises.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/9/17/6337689/reggie-bush-radio-adrian-peterson-lions-vikings

Theres a good time to shutup and now is that time....Unfortunately, we are talking about football players, they aren't known for their smarts. These guys are playing right into the media narrative.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject:

What I gleaned from Reggie was he would harshly punish his daughter. He wouldn't use a tree branch (switch) and he'd try not to bruise his child. He'd spank his daughter. He was raised with corporal punishment.

He said as a parent he's learning and he'll use his best judgment. Whatever he does it will be out of love.

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Theres a good time to shutup and now is that time....Unfortunately, we are talking about football players, they aren't known for their smarts. These guys are playing right into the media narrative.

Yeah, I mean, what, is the NFL really going to do nothing? Reggie Bush basically said, in a public forum, that he does what Adrian Peterson does but just tries not to leave bruises.

If they don't care about due process, then they should do something, no?
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Yeah, I mean, what, is the NFL really going to do nothing? Reggie Bush basically said, in a public forum, that he does what Adrian Peterson does but just tries not to leave bruises.

If they don't care about due process, then they should do something, no?

I would have figured that teams would give these guys some sort of media training class. Like, oh, if some controversial topic comes up that involves the entire league, just keep your trap shut until advised otherwise by your team. You don't need to say you support player X, or his actions, or even that you disagree or agree. Just teach these guys to say something bland and generic like "situation X is unfortunate. I trust the league will handle it in the appropriate manner." The end. Instead, invariably, they wind up saying the entirely wrong thing in the wrong way at the wrong time.

Also, instead of being entirely reactionary, the NFL ought to get out ahead of this for once and mandate all players take domestic violence/child abuse training and then have players do commercial spots for various anti-domestic abuse/child abuse organizations. They enough money and marketing people, this sort of thing ought to be obvious to someone in the NFL offices.
Grammer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject:

Jack Elway given probation for shoving girlfriend to the ground

Quote:
Jack Elway, the son of Denver Broncos general manager John Elway, has pleaded guilty to disturbing the peace after being accused of pulling his girlfriend from a car and shoving her to the ground.

LINK

Everybody RUN, nobody is SAFE! Where's Kurt Warner when you need him!?

Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject:

I really hope he gets a harsh punishment. If you can't control a 4 year old without beating them, you've failed as a parent.

Last edited by Moses on Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject:

Grammer wrote:

Quote:
Jack Elway, the son of Denver Broncos general manager John Elway, has pleaded guilty to disturbing the peace after being accused of pulling his girlfriend from a car and shoving her to the ground.

LINK

They can't possibly suspend John Elway. I guess they could ... but ... these suspensions have gone far enough.
Grammer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Grammer wrote:

Quote:

LINK

They can't possibly suspend John Elway. I guess they could ... but ... these suspensions have gone far enough.

I meant that it seems the authorities are going after everybody for domestic violence, even those not necessarily a part of the NFL but with some connection. Next thing you know, they'll be going after Michael Sam.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Grammer wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Grammer wrote:

Quote:

LINK

I meant that it seems the authorities are going after everybody for domestic violence, even those not necessarily a part of the NFL but with some connection. Next thing you know, they'll be going after Michael Sam.

Care to explain that comment?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Grammer wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Grammer wrote:

Quote:

LINK

I hope that's LINK

Grammer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Grammer wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Grammer wrote:

Quote:

LINK

Sam has already got eyes on his every move and now I'm sure that number will double, as with every player, because of the recent transgressions. I don't have any inside info I'm just saying, he'd better be extra clean.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Grammer wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Grammer wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Grammer wrote:

Quote:

LINK

Sam has already got eyes on his every move and now I'm sure that number will double, as with every player, because of the recent transgressions. I don't have any inside info I'm just saying, he'd better be extra clean.

LINK

Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Grammer wrote:

Quote:

LINK

Really?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Grammer wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Grammer wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Grammer wrote:

Quote:

LINK

That doesn't explain why you connect Michael Sam to domestic violence.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Grammer wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Grammer wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Grammer wrote:

Quote:

LINK

That doesn't explain why you connect Michael Sam to domestic violence.

Curious about that too...
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject:

Benjy from the Howard Stern show crashing today's Roger Goodell Press Conference.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Goodell has employed the same man who was assigned to the Ferguson shooting, Robert Muller.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17
Jump to: