Starters penned in by Coach Scott
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirShooter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Nash has to start to keep himself warm. If he comes off the bench he will be stiff and get injured even quicker.

I don't know if you are making that up or not but I've never heard of that and doubt it's true.

It's somewhat true. If you have chronic pain, you start swelling and tightening up when you give your body a chance to rest. That's why you'll sometimes see guys riding an exercise bike when they're out instead of sitting on the bench.

It's not like Nash is going to be able to go 48 minutes however. If he isn't resting the first 8 minutes of the game, he'll be resting the second 8 minutes instead. The cool down period is unavoidable.

Which is why he will only play in the 1st and 3rd quarters mostly, because he will be cooled down in the 2nd and 4th. And I am not sure which injuries a stationary bile helps the most. If you ahve a hamstring injury I think it would be beneficial, but for an injury stemming from the nerves in the lower back, I am not sure if a bicycle will help that area. Plus I haven't seen a stationary bike on the sideline for quite some time. Do they still use this practice in 2014?

It was Gary Vitti's advice to coach D'Anotni to have Nash start over Blake last year when he came back from injury. We still have Vitti, so its likely he will give the same advice this year.

They do still use bikes, and for back issues, not just legs. Case in point, Jeremy Lin last season spent some time on a stationary bike on the sidelines waiting his turn to be subbed in during games with a icepack on his back to keep it from tightening up. Not sure if it's bad non-ergonomic seats on the Rockets airplanes or something, or just issues from the nicks and bruises you pick up over a 82game grind, but Parsons and Lin both had back strain problems they had to fight through last season.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject:

What can we expect from Jordan Hill since he has been penciled in as a starter by Coach Scott?
We all know he will rebound and hustle.

I am interested to see how he performs defensively in the grand scheme of things being initiated by Coach Scott.

Quote:
Hill is essentially on a one-year deal with the Lakers, who hold a team option for 2015-16.

But even that $9 million for this coming season looks awfully expensive for a 6’10” former first-round draft pick who has never averaged more than 21 minutes per game for a season.

J-CHILL link
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
What can we expect from Jordan Hill since he has been penciled in as a starter by Coach Scott?

I am interested to see how he performs defensively in the grand scheme of things being initiated by Coach Scott.

Quote:
Hill is essentially on a one-year deal with the Lakers, who hold a team option for 2015-16.

But even that $9 million for this coming season looks awfully expensive for a 6’10” former first-round draft pick who has never averaged more than 21 minutes per game for a season.

J-CHILL link

The two biggest problems with Hill have been his conditioning/taking care of himself (which is why you usually see a decline in his effectiveness right before a decline in minutes if you know what you are looking for, since he can only sustain a couple or three weeks of sustained energy), and his IQ/game knowledge. This shows up a ton on D, where he will defend hios own man reasonably well, but quickly becomes absolutely lost on his off ball responsibilities, and his help d is atrocious.

If Scott can simply get him to commit to keeping himself in shape and getting his rest (no partying on the road), he'll improve markedly. The tougher part is getting him to pay attention to and understand the schemes. I honestly don't know whether it is smarts or interest. If it is merely the latter, he could greatly improve.
L.A.M.B
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject:

PG Lin
SG Kobe
SF Beasley
PF Boozer
C Hill
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

J-CHILL link

The two biggest problems with Hill have been his conditioning/taking care of himself (which is why you usually see a decline in his effectiveness right before a decline in minutes if you know what you are looking for, since he can only sustain a couple or three weeks of sustained energy), and his IQ/game knowledge. This shows up a ton on D, where he will defend hios own man reasonably well, but quickly becomes absolutely lost on his off ball responsibilities, and his help d is atrocious.

If Scott can simply get him to commit to keeping himself in shape and getting his rest (no partying on the road), he'll improve markedly. The tougher part is getting him to pay attention to and understand the schemes. I honestly don't know whether it is smarts or interest. If it is merely the latter, he could greatly improve.

This is precisely why I'm worried that we've not heard one single thing about Hill this off-season.

We've seen just about everyone else putting in the worl and even showing up for pre-training camp. Haven't seen nor heard from Jordan Hill at all which makes me worry about his commitment in the off-season. If he does not show up to camp in shape he's gonna get on Scott's bad side really quickly and Ed Davis who has been there every day working his tail off could wind up taking that starting position of Hill's not careful.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
24 wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

J-CHILL link

This is precisely why I'm worried that we've not heard one single thing about Hill this off-season.

We've seen just about everyone else putting in the worl and even showing up for pre-training camp. Haven't seen nor heard from Jordan Hill at all which makes me worry about his commitment in the off-season. If he does not show up to camp in shape he's gonna get on Scott's bad side really quickly and Ed Davis who has been there every day working his tail off could wind up taking that starting position of Hill's not careful.

His is rebounding machine and he's athletic enough that if he stays active on defense he should be okay.
He is quick enough to defend the pnr and get back on help defense too. If not, expect Ed Davis to get heavy minutes at center.
tonman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject:

the lineup is as expected. it will help lin not to start initially. take some pressure off and let him come off the bench and watch nash.

ed davis is too good not to play starters minutes. not sure what the infatuations with boozer is.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Trade deadline rumor: Gerald Green possibly for Jordan Hill

Quote:
While the Lakers have addressed most of their deficiencies, one glaring weakness they still have is at small forward.
The Lakers are in the Western Conference, a place that is littered with solid swingmen.
The Lakers are in need of a solid athletic small forward, and Gerald Green could be the missing piece in Tinseltown.

RUMORS

DEADLINE TRADE?
L.A.M.B
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject:

lol @ trading our best center in Jordan Hill for Gerald Green when we can get Beasley at a minimum contract.
L.A.M.B
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject:

lol @ trading our best center in Jordan Hill for Gerald Green when we can get Beasley at a minimum contract.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject:

AirShooter wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Nash has to start to keep himself warm. If he comes off the bench he will be stiff and get injured even quicker.

I don't know if you are making that up or not but I've never heard of that and doubt it's true.

It's somewhat true. If you have chronic pain, you start swelling and tightening up when you give your body a chance to rest. That's why you'll sometimes see guys riding an exercise bike when they're out instead of sitting on the bench.

It's not like Nash is going to be able to go 48 minutes however. If he isn't resting the first 8 minutes of the game, he'll be resting the second 8 minutes instead. The cool down period is unavoidable.

Which is why he will only play in the 1st and 3rd quarters mostly, because he will be cooled down in the 2nd and 4th. And I am not sure which injuries a stationary bile helps the most. If you ahve a hamstring injury I think it would be beneficial, but for an injury stemming from the nerves in the lower back, I am not sure if a bicycle will help that area. Plus I haven't seen a stationary bike on the sideline for quite some time. Do they still use this practice in 2014?

It was Gary Vitti's advice to coach D'Anotni to have Nash start over Blake last year when he came back from injury. We still have Vitti, so its likely he will give the same advice this year.

They do still use bikes, and for back issues, not just legs. Case in point, Jeremy Lin last season spent some time on a stationary bike on the sidelines waiting his turn to be subbed in during games with a icepack on his back to keep it from tightening up. Not sure if it's bad non-ergonomic seats on the Rockets airplanes or something, or just issues from the nicks and bruises you pick up over a 82game grind, but Parsons and Lin both had back strain problems they had to fight through last season.

So it will be up to Coach Scott and Vitti as to what they think will be better for Nash. Personally, I don't think we will see Nash come off the bench as a reserve and riding the bike on the sideline. But maybe youre right.
Playmaker1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject:

L.A.M.B wrote:

Green is significantly better than Beasley at nearly everything and doesn't bring as much of the "bone-headedness".
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject:

Hill should be fine, but he will struggle against bigger centers unless he's put some muscle on over the summer. I've always thought that Hill coming out of Arizona had the potential to be a player in the mold of an Alonzo Mourning simply because his build is very similar. He's proven to be a good hard hat working player with rebounding and put backs, but he will need to bulk up in order to man that middle. Taking care of his body should be the main priority!
If he could have added 5-10lbs of mass/muscle, he could be a different player for the Lakers.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

J-CHILL link

You seem to have some inside info on Hill, you are very hard on him. I personally see a hard working player with some limitations. Where are you getting your info on Hill?
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
24 wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

J-CHILL link

You seem to have some inside info on Hill, you are very hard on him. I personally see a hard working player with some limitations. Where are you getting your info on Hill?

I truly believe that Jordan Hill is going to come to camp in shape & have an outstanding year. His time has come and he knows that he has to be ready.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject:

It would help Hill a lot more by being in the pre-training camp or at least doing some of the camps or things like Lin and Boozer have done in prep.

I can only hope he shows up to camp in shape. He was in pre-training camp every year but this one...this is NOT the year to not come in at the best shape of his life.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject:

Hill looks like a popeye's chicken and sweet tea baller who plays pickup ball to stay in shape.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject:

I don't think that starting 5 can beat anyone in the NBA.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Hill looks like a popeye's chicken and sweet tea baller who plays pickup ball to stay in shape.

Lawd, I hope you are wrong!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject:

From the looks of things a Nash vs Lin showdown is brewing for the starting PG spot. Clarkson has looked good in the videos too.
TomSeaver
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Awful Starting Lineup. To be expected from an awful HC
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject:

With Ellington and Price now signed, roster/depth chart looks like this:

PG Nash/Lin/Price
SG Bryant/Ellington/Clarkson
SF Johnson/Young/Henry
PF Boozer/Randle/Kelly
C Hill/Davis/Sacre

Perhaps its not a world-beating squad at first glance, but to me, I see an old-school approach to the squad with a lot of inbuilt contingencies. Nice mix of experience and youth. Let's Go Lakers.
emz83
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject:

LakeShow06 wrote:
With Ellington and Price now signed, roster/depth chart looks like this:

PG Nash/Lin/Price
SG Bryant/Ellington/Clarkson
SF Johnson/Young/Henry
PF Boozer/Randle/Kelly
C Hill/Davis/Sacre

Perhaps its not a world-beating squad at first glance, but to me, I see an old-school approach to the squad with a lot of inbuilt contingencies. Nice mix of experience and youth. Let's Go Lakers.

Starting to wonder if Scott will be playing around with 2 PG (or ballhandler, considering Kobe) lineups a la last years Suns.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject:

With training camp about to begin the starting line-ups are still open for debate. A lot of new faces and new schemes, plays and defensive philosophies will be introduced by the new staff.

The wait is almost over!

THE PROBABLES link
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8
Jump to: