OFFICIAL BYRON SCOTT HEAD COACH THREAD!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject:

Spill512 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
Who Takes The Blame wrote:
Lakers coach Byron Scott 'not going to sacrifice' Kobe Bryant's body

(bleep). Let Kobe play and either dominate or go out like a soldier. He ain't Tim Duncan. Unless Kobe is dominant, the team is going nowhere anyway for the next two seasons, so give the people what they want. In any case, Kobe ain't gon listen to Scott. What's Scott going to do? Fine him? Bench him?

Dude is opening his mouth way too early. Kobe don't care and has too much cache with his fan base for Scott or even the organization to take him on. He'll do what he wants to just like he did in 2012-2013. Ain't nobody going to stop him from trying to prove the doubters wrong.

People been watching Kobe for 18 years and they think he's going to be ok with being a part time player? {deleted by alpha}

I think you are way off in your opinion. Kobe has a great b-ball mind along with his competitiveness. I expect getting injured and rehabbing for the past year and a half has opened his mind to his own mortality and changing his game. He has made several comments about it.

Also think Kobe respects Scott. They agree on a plan for Kobe and the Lakers to have the best chance to succeed over the entire season. That means cutting back on mpg and playing a different role when he is on the floor. Nobody is saying Kobe will be a part time player though.

Lakers signed Young to be a solid SG so Kobe can play less mpg and maybe even take off a night every so often. Hopefully the Lakers will not lose leads or fall behind the moment Kobe goes to the bench as we have seen in past seasons.

Less mpg is a good thing for Kobe. More quality then quantity IMO.

Would be thrilled to see Kobe at about 28-30mpg for 70 games (and a chance at the playoffs). 18pts/7assts and some energetic defense. Anything else is gravy.

Consider that is about the mpg Duncan has had the past couple of seasons. Ginobli is at about 23mpg. Both have a huge impact and finish games. Kobe can play that role too.

So you pacify Kobe into finishing his last two years putting up roleplayer numbers on a 12th seed non-playoff team. And that accomplishes what?

Exactly!
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Spill512 wrote:

(bleep). Let Kobe play and either dominate or go out like a soldier. He ain't Tim Duncan. Unless Kobe is dominant, the team is going nowhere anyway for the next two seasons, so give the people what they want. In any case, Kobe ain't gon listen to Scott. What's Scott going to do? Fine him? Bench him?

Dude is opening his mouth way too early. Kobe don't care and has too much cache with his fan base for Scott or even the organization to take him on. He'll do what he wants to just like he did in 2012-2013. Ain't nobody going to stop him from trying to prove the doubters wrong.

People been watching Kobe for 18 years and they think he's going to be ok with being a part time player? {deleted by alpha}

I think you are way off in your opinion. Kobe has a great b-ball mind along with his competitiveness. I expect getting injured and rehabbing for the past year and a half has opened his mind to his own mortality and changing his game. He has made several comments about it.

Also think Kobe respects Scott. They agree on a plan for Kobe and the Lakers to have the best chance to succeed over the entire season. That means cutting back on mpg and playing a different role when he is on the floor. Nobody is saying Kobe will be a part time player though.

Lakers signed Young to be a solid SG so Kobe can play less mpg and maybe even take off a night every so often. Hopefully the Lakers will not lose leads or fall behind the moment Kobe goes to the bench as we have seen in past seasons.

Would be thrilled to see Kobe at about 28-30mpg for 70 games (and a chance at the playoffs). 18pts/7assts and some energetic defense. Anything else is gravy.

Consider that is about the mpg Duncan has had the past couple of seasons. Ginobli is at about 23mpg. Both have a huge impact and finish games. Kobe can play that role too.

So you pacify Kobe into finishing his last two years putting up roleplayer numbers on a 12th seed non-playoff team. And that accomplishes what?

You will have to explain your "pacify Kobe" or "go out like a soldier" comments.

Your initial comment was that Kobe will do whatever he wants. I am assuming you mean 35+mpg and not listen to Scott. Run his dick into the dirt trying to break records and play to the crowds instead of adhering to a system Please correct me if I am not getting your point.

My point is Kobe is smarter then that. He understands his age and b-ball mortality. He will still do what it takes to win. But not get caught up in the fan concept of Kobe must dominate for 40 mpg or he is less of a man or player.

Fully expect Kobe to be a leader. Still expect him to be dominant and finishing games. Just will play less mpg , rely on his teammates and not be the only player doing all the playmaking. I think he will have more assists and be very selective in when he decides to "take over games" I do not see Kobe as a role player at all.

Apparently we disagree.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Coach Scott is saying all the right things. He's setting the tone and stage for the future.
He's preaching what it takes to become a champion and establishing a winning mindset.
I know we are not a championship caliber team but you have to start somewhere. I like his approach.

Quote:
Lakers’ training camp is set to begin in the next three weeks, and even though he’s only in his first season as head coach for the Lakers,
Byron Scott is already establishing a championship mindset with his team.

PREACH link
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Spill512 wrote:

In theory, it helps keep him healthy enough to stay on the court.
Yumyumcha
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Coach Scott is saying all the right things. He's setting the tone and stage for the future.
He's preaching what it takes to become a champion and establishing a winning mindset.
I know we are not a championship caliber team but you have to start somewhere. I like his approach.

Quote:
Lakers’ training camp is set to begin in the next three weeks, and even though he’s only in his first season as head coach for the Lakers,

PREACH link

I agree. Scott is basically doing what Phil is setting out to do in New York when he said he needed to change the culture of the team. Of course that lesson is lost if the Laker roster is completely reshuffled next year so I'm hoping that there's a core group that remains like Lin and Ed Davis in addition to Randle and Clarkson who are signed on past this season.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject:

Spill512 wrote:

I am not sure where you got the idea that the FO has a goal of pacifying Kobe.
LakerRush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Scott finalizes assistants. Paul Presey, Jim Eyen, Mark Madsen, Clay Moser, Larry Lewis, Thomas Scott, amongst others.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2201201-lakers-announce-coaching-staff
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Yumyumcha wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

PREACH link

I agree. Scott is basically doing what Phil is setting out to do in New York when he said he needed to change the culture of the team. Of course that lesson is lost if the Laker roster is completely reshuffled next year so I'm hoping that there's a core group that remains like Lin and Ed Davis in addition to Randle and Clarkson who are signed on past this season.

True; Last season was a hot, sweaty mess that left the franchise in shambles. We have got to find some continuity with a solid core of good players to build on.
It all starts from the top. The team has to develop a winning culture and that can only be achieved by becoming better prepared both mentally and physically.
Spill512
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Spill512 wrote:

I am not sure where you got the idea that the FO has a goal of pacifying Kobe.

Didn't say anything about FO. The guy I was quoting said 28 minutes per game and 18 ppg 7 assists. That's pacifying him.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject:

Got it. I think 32 mpg for the first 80% of the season, then whatever is necessary the rest of the season.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject:

I think the million dollar question this season is: Can Byron Scott turn this roster into an above average defensive team.

I'm guessing, no.

Scott is a great hire. I've spent a lot of time wondering what the lakers would look like if Scott succeeded Phil Jackson. That's what Dr. Buss wanted (according to magic), and it makes sense (FO was going after Scott's ex-player CP3 the same off season). But that didn't happen. Instead of coaching Gasol, Dwight, and Nash, Scott is coaching Boozer, Randle, and Lin.

With the chips stacked against him, how is Scott supposed to fix the defensive deficiencies in our roster in his first season? We have below average defenders on the perimeter and in the post. What defensive system/scheme can fix that? Boozer had an amazing defensive coach in Chi-town, but there is a limit to how much a coach improves players. There is no defensive secret Scott can tell swaggy or boozer that will magically turn them into + defenders. I know I'm a Debby Downer. But this is just my 2¢.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject:

I'm hoping scott can get the team into mid pack (13-17) defensively, which is doable.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Steve Clifford (former Laker assistant) took Charlotte from the worst defensive team in the league (ranked 30) to a top 5 defensive team, with practically the same roster (no rim protector), so yes it is possible with some really good coaching.

He did it primarily by instituting a more conservative scheme, getting players to get back earlier on transition defense, hit the defensive glass, and icing pick and rolls (Chicago style).

Hopefully the Laker coaches have been paying attention.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24
Page 24 of 24
Jump to: