Mitch Kupchak Discusses Kobe
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
MJST wrote:
So they say he's looking "Very Good" in 5 on 5 and now Mitch with this. I haven't heard "Explosive" or "Elevation."

Makes me worry a bit I must admit.

Saying you'll see the same Kobe you saw in 2012 is an indication I'd assume.

I'm hoping so. 27.3/6.0/5.6 on 47% shooting. I'd take that.

The question is do we want to see those numbers and the Lakers losing games, or do we want a 20/6.0/8.0 48% and the Lakers wining?
Hoop_Knowledge
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
MJST wrote:
So they say he's looking "Very Good" in 5 on 5 and now Mitch with this. I haven't heard "Explosive" or "Elevation."

The question is do we want to see those numbers and the Lakers losing games, or do we want a 20/6.0/8.0 48% and the Lakers wining?

Not sure why it has to be an either/or. Kobe has put up numbers like that with the team winning. This type of either/or question plays into the false narrative that the Lakers lose when Kobe scores more (or scores right around his post-Shaq career average). This has been proven false through stats in the past. We don't know how it will play out this season, but I see nothing wrong with the ppg target and optimism in KBCB's post...
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Is that really a serious question?

Why on earth would we ever WANT the Lakers to win fewer games?
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Is that really a serious question?

Why on earth would we ever WANT the Lakers to win fewer games?

It must of been which is hilarious. I believe winning is all that matters not which player that puts up good to great stats but the team losses games.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject:

Hoop_Knowledge wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Not sure why it has to be an either/or. Kobe has put up numbers like that with the team winning. This type of either/or question plays into the false narrative that the Lakers lose when Kobe scores more (or scores right around his post-Shaq career average). This has been proven false through stats in the past. We don't know how it will play out this season, but I see nothing wrong with the ppg target and optimism in KBCB's post...

I personally think this team will benefit from a distributing Kobe vs a scoring 27-30 ppg Kobe and chucking 25 shots. Besides Kobe is at a stage where he understands what it will take to get the most out of younger players and place some responsibility on others.
He has nothing to prove at this stage, yeah a new scoring record but that will happen regardless if he stays healthy, but imho he's outgrown that old scoring mentality, and will be more of a distributor. I guess we'll have to see what this team need's are as they move into the season.
Two years ago that Howard, Nash team actually made a move in the standings when Kobe became the Magic Johnson Kobe, those personalities are not here but it could be a similar situation.
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject:

I wish there was some videos of Kobe training and practicing recently. I pray Kobe still has some lift and explosion still left, he will need it against bigger, taller, lengthy, defenders.
Hoop_Knowledge
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
Hoop_Knowledge wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
MJST wrote:

I personally think this team will benefit from a distributing Kobe vs a scoring 27-30 ppg Kobe and chucking 25 shots. Besides Kobe is at a stage where he understands what it will take to get the most out of younger players and place some responsibility on others.
He has nothing to prove at this stage, yeah a new scoring record but that will happen regardless if he stays healthy, but imho he's outgrown that old scoring mentality, and will be more of a distributor. I guess we'll have to see what this team need's are as they move into the season.
Two years ago that Howard, Nash team actually made a move in the standings when Kobe became the Magic Johnson Kobe, those personalities are not here but it could be a similar situation.

Respectfully, I disagree. Especially when this team has two very capable, above average (on offense) point guards who will most likely assume the distributing responsibilities within Byron's system. Putting the ball in Kobe's hands and forcing him to play pg renders very capable pg's like Nash and Lin useless (or as merely spot-ups). This is not the triangle Byron will be running; Kobe has always been at his best when his primary focus is on scoring and only passing/assisting in order to counteract double-teams, initiate/execute specific offensive sets, or when coverages call for it (e.g. - mismatches in the post). Also, you are still playing into this false narrative that Kobe needs to shoot 25+ shots per game just to average 26-27 points. Kobe has only shot that amount (for a season) once in 18 years (when he averaged 35 ppg). For his career, he averages a little over 19 shots per game. Kobe can manage 25 to 26 ppg on roughly 18 to 19 shots because he has done it for basically most of his post-Shaq career.

As far as this "nothing to prove" notion, yeah, Kobe doesn't agree because he knows that there are people who are doubting his ability to return his play to a high level. There are people who are doubting his ability to lead this team back to respectability. What drives him currently (and what has pretty much fueled him throughout his career) is to prove people wrong when they doubt him or underestimate him. This is a feature about Kobe that is not going to change and there is nothing wrong with this. It is one of the many things that has made him one of the All-Time greats.

Two years ago that move to become more of a distributor was a result of the injuries Nash suffered and the fact that there was no other player on the roster with the ability to create offense for the others on the team. It was out of necessity more than anything else. With the addition of Lin, the return of Nash's health (hopefully), and Clarkson, the need for Kobe to be more of a distributor is lessened. With this team (health permitting), I am certain you will see Kobe placed in more positions to score and focus on maximizing efficiency and playing to his strengths on offense. This, I believe, will be key to this team being better than most expect...
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject:

Hoop_Knowledge wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
Hoop_Knowledge wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Respectfully, I disagree. Especially when this team has two very capable, above average (on offense) point guards who will most likely assume the distributing responsibilities within Byron's system. Putting the ball in Kobe's hands and forcing him to play pg renders very capable pg's like Nash and Lin useless (or as merely spot-ups). This is not the triangle Byron will be running; Kobe has always been at his best when his primary focus is on scoring and only passing/assisting in order to counteract double-teams, initiate/execute specific offensive sets, or when coverages call for it (e.g. - mismatches in the post). Also, you are still playing into this false narrative that Kobe needs to shoot 25+ shots per game just to average 26-27 points. Kobe has only shot that amount (for a season) once in 18 years (when he averaged 35 ppg). For his career, he averages a little over 19 shots per game. Kobe can manage 25 to 26 ppg on roughly 18 to 19 shots because he has done it for basically most of his post-Shaq career.

As far as this "nothing to prove" notion, yeah, Kobe doesn't agree because he knows that there are people who are doubting his ability to return his play to a high level. There are people who are doubting his ability to lead this team back to respectability. What drives him currently (and what has pretty much fueled him throughout his career) is to prove people wrong when they doubt him or underestimate him. This is a feature about Kobe that is not going to change and there is nothing wrong with this. It is one of the many things that has made him one of the All-Time greats.

Two years ago that move to become more of a distributor was a result of the injuries Nash suffered and the fact that there was no other player on the roster with the ability to create offense for the others on the team. It was out of necessity more than anything else. With the addition of Lin, the return of Nash's health (hopefully), and Clarkson, the need for Kobe to be more of a distributor is lessened. With this team (health permitting), I am certain you will see Kobe placed in more positions to score and focus on maximizing efficiency and playing to his strengths on offense. This, I believe, will be key to this team being better than most expect...

LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Hoop_Knowledge wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
Hoop_Knowledge wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
MJST wrote:

I dont agree.
If the Lakers don't put Kobe at the corner post (as he did two years ago)and have him bring the defense to him while feeding others, it will be another MDA type season. Championship basketball is played in and out, the Princeton is a failure in the NBA it has to be combined with a different offense. Having the other guys feed off of Kobe is the way this team would succeed, running and gunning 3pt shots is a sure way to become lottery bound.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject:

I'm curious to see how the Lakers will manage to "hide" Nash and Kobe on defense if they're both starters. I know Wes will guard the biggest threat but for example against OKC, who can actually guard Westbrook? (Ming...)
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
Hoop_Knowledge wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
Hoop_Knowledge wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
MJST wrote:

I dont agree.
If the Lakers don't put Kobe at the corner post (as he did two years ago)and have him bring the defense to him while feeding others, it will be another MDA type season. Championship basketball is played in and out, the Princeton is a failure in the NBA it has to be combined with a different offense. Having the other guys feed off of Kobe is the way this team would succeed, running and gunning 3pt shots is a sure way to become lottery bound.

Having Kobe in the post isn't a "distributing" Kobe.

A "distributing" Kobe as you suggested would bring the ball up the court and be responsible for breaking down defenses with dribble penetration to open up opportunities for others.

Not a good strategy for an old Kobe.

I do agree put him in the post and let him get to work from there, but that's not a distributing Kobe at all unless you think in the dynasty days we had a distributing Shaq.
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I'm curious to see how the Lakers will manage to "hide" Nash and Kobe on defense if they're both starters. I know Wes will guard the biggest threat but for example against OKC, who can actually guard Westbrook? (Ming...)

Yeah the biggest problem with these two wont be on offense it be on defense.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Westbrook is a career 30% shooter from outside, so we may see Kobe getting the draw while giving him space. Hopefully we'd see more Lin out there and then bring in Nash when Westbrook sits.
Hoop_Knowledge
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
Hoop_Knowledge wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
Hoop_Knowledge wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
MJST wrote:

I dont agree.

Having Kobe in the post isn't a "distributing" Kobe.

A "distributing" Kobe as you suggested would bring the ball up the court and be responsible for breaking down defenses with dribble penetration to open up opportunities for others.

Not a good strategy for an old Kobe.

I do agree put him in the post and let him get to work from there, but that's not a distributing Kobe at all unless you think in the dynasty days we had a distributing Shaq.

Agreed with RF. Kobe is not going to be the one bringing the ball up, initiating the offense, trying to break down the defense and accumulate assists like a traditional pg would. It is ill-suited for him and his skill-set at this stage of his career. As he has mentioned this summer, he will be primarily placed in scoring situations (either through sets, mid & low post) and he will be focusing on maximizing his efficiency for scoring the ball. Streamlining his duties and having him focus primarily on scoring and saving the playmaking/distributing duties to Lin & Nash will help save his legs and provide him with more energy reserves to play better defense. Kobe has mentioned this in the past. Physically it is harder on him to be in distributor mode than it is for him in scorer mode. He has mentioned this before. If Kobe is being forced to be a pg, then it means the Lakers are in trouble (similar to how they were two years ago)...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Westbrook is a career 30% shooter from outside, so we may see Kobe getting the draw while giving him space. Hopefully we'd see more Lin out there and then bring in Nash when Westbrook sits.

Reggie Jackson is a good matchup for Nash?
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Who is a good matchup for Nash? If Nash is going to play he will have to defend someone out there. I could start down the line of "is Perkins a good matchup for Nash?" but lets just be realistic. With the minutes Jackson, Westbrook and Durant will get, if Nash gets PT he can't avoid these guys all together. Like I said, Lin will get an increase of minutes against a team like OKC.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject:

The only way I see Nash starting is either with very brief minutes, or if he's playing so much like Nash that he has to be started, in which case his defensive liabilities are offset some.

I expect Nash to be in the bench unit for the most part. Wes was signed primarily to take wings on defense.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
The only way I see Nash starting is either with very brief minutes, or if he's playing so much like Nash that he has to be started, in which case his defensive liabilities are offset some.

I expect Nash to be in the bench unit for the most part. Wes was signed primarily to take wings on defense.

I think that is what a lot of us see, no matter who is penciled in this early. Maybe if he gets say 20 or so minutes against average match ups, maybe he gets 10-12 vs a team with lots of perimeter threats. I like the good things we're hearing about Nash, but I'd still prepare for Lin to play "starter" minutes and if Nash actually holds up it's a nice surprise.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Kobe, once again, has to work with minimum tools, overall, to achieve the impossible. I am hopeful. At least, the current cast is better than that of super 2004-06.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:
Kobe, once again, has to work with minimum tools, overall, to achieve the impossible. I am hopeful. At least, the current cast is better than that of super 2004-06.

I'm sure he's looking forward to the challenge and am hoping that he is able to execute his plan.
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

better than westbrook!

there's no good way to hide nash....unless he's matched up against the head coach of the new york knicks.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:

I'm not sure about impossible. Missing the playoffs as a 9/10 seed is very possible even with this crew.

Kobe can't turn garbage in to gold. He's darn good, but he's not a miracle worker.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:

This roster is much better than that one. It's not going to be easy, but let's not get too dramatic.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: