Germany scraps tuition fees

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Germany scraps tuition fees

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/europe/article4213550.ece

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject:

Tax rates in Germany are a lot higher than they here in the U.S. Good move for them.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject:

Jealous.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject:

I can see American students moving to Germany to garner degrees.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I can see American student moving to Germany to garner degrees.

Just one?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Just one?
Typo corrected.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Just one?
Typo corrected.

Haha. Just having a little fun.
Grammer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject:

A buddy of mine paid around 50-60 euros a year for tuition. Guess he missed out.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Just one?
Typo corrected.

Haha. Just having a little fun.

Me 2

cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject:

There never really were tuition fees compared to what you know... There used to be "listener fees" until the 70s (with inflation still under $300). After they got boycotted the laws didn't allow tuition fees until 2002. Then parts of Germany had tuition fees - roughly $500 per half year. Some just had tuition fees for students that took too long to study. Or that already had a university education (or had started one and switched).

Anyway, the law didn't change. But in some "states" the government changed and tuition fees never were really popular, but a much discussed topic. And probably they were just pointless and antisocial and against the freedom of eduction.

All students do pay an administration fee, this usually includes a ticket for public transport and cheaper meals at the university. They vary between 50 and 250€ per term. This fee gets mixed up with tuition a lot!
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject:

might work well for a small culturally homogeneous country (relatively speaking).

the amount of vitriol americans have for other cultural groups makes it difficult in america to do things like this.

i know for sure that i dont want to pay more taxes to subsidize college student loans.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Thats sounds all great but if you do not get into what the Germans call "gymnasium" at about age 12 you do not go to college. They send you to a vocational college and you become a plumber or something. This leaves little choices for late developers other than attending university abroad with no assistance available in terms of loans or anything else that a normal citizen would get.

A friend of mine whose son is German did not get into gymnasium at 12 and went to vocational school, spent a couple years in the army, and worked in marketing. He came here to Thailand and visited and found out that he could attend Khon Kaen University's International Program. He did and got a degree in marketing finished top in the class and got not one Euro from Germany in assistance even though he tried. He inquired about getting his masters in Germany and they said he could get no assistance unless he went back and took gymnasium (high school) again. Oddly enough if one of his fellow classmates at KKU decided he wanted to take a master's in Germany as a foreign student, they would be allowed to apply for assistance.

Needless to say he is highly pissed of at his own country and probably will only go back to visit family.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Thats sounds all great but if you do not get into what the Germans call "gymnasium" at about age 12 you do not go to college. They send you to a vocational college and you become a plumber or something. This leaves little choices for late developers other than attending university abroad with no assistance available in terms of loans or anything else that a normal citizen would get.

A friend of mine whose son is German did not get into gymnasium at 12 and went to vocational school, spent a couple years in the army, and worked in marketing. He came here to Thailand and visited and found out that he could attend Khon Kaen University's International Program. He did and got a degree in marketing finished top in the class and got not one Euro from Germany in assistance even though he tried. He inquired about getting his masters in Germany and they said he could get no assistance unless he went back and took gymnasium (high school) again. Oddly enough if one of his fellow classmates at KKU decided he wanted to take a master's in Germany as a foreign student, they would be allowed to apply for assistance.

Needless to say he is highly pissed of at his own country and probably will only go back to visit family.

If you fail Germany, you get demoted to Thailand? That is one steep mother (bleep) drop.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject:

He's doing good now though. Got a great job right out of school.

The point is you fail early and thats it. You are (bleep) out of luck.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Extremely jealous.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:

They can always try to come to good ol' USA. Here you can work yourself from community college to a university.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Tax rates in Germany are a lot higher than they here in the U.S. Good move for them.

If you live in a city like LA or NY, your tax rate is probably pretty similar, or higher after adding up all of the federal state and local taxes (Germany's individual max is 45%, vs. a theoretical max of 55.9% for the US), but we don't get universal healthcare or college. We're doing it wrong.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

They can always try to come to good ol' USA. Here you can work yourself from community college to a university.

And into underemployment with huge debt.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

And into underemployment with huge debt.

You just have to know if college is your calling. If higher learning isn't a passion then the debt probably isn't worth it. If it is, then you'll probably do extremely well and recoup your losses over your career.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject:

I grew up in compton and graduated from compton high with very good grades.

I got into a few UC's and out of state colleges.. when i did my math, i realized how expensive it would be for me.. Eventually i got a pretty good deal from CSUF, but still ended up with about $~18k in debt when it was all said and done.

Do other people not sit down and think about the financial backlash of going to a school thats out of your financial league? Man i would of loved to go to UCLA..

I also majored in something that i knew i would get a return on.. not something random like history. Sometimes i feel like people chase waterfalls and the system chews them up for it.. then they get made at the system.

You have to give and you have to take man. I'm only $1k away from finishing these student loans and i've never been late on one single payment.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Even if you're in debt, a good degree from a good college is still worth it. Along with your student loan, you'll be able to afford a bunch of other stuff that will be possible with the doors that degree will open for you.

Let's say you're in your late 20s, have a wife and kid to support and you suddenly lose your job in the middle of a huge economic downturn. Jobs are scarce, no one is hiring....and the people that are hiring are extremely choosy. (Yes, this happened to yours truly circa 2002 - post dotcom bubble)

Think a degree from an Ivy League, or high caliber name recognition school would help then....hell yeah!

You should definitely pick the most prestigious school you get accepted to. Name recognition matters.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
Even if you're in debt, a good degree from a good college is still worth it. Along with your student loan, you'll be able to afford a bunch of other stuff that will be possible with the doors that degree will open for you.

Let's say you're in your late 20s, have a wife and kid to support and you suddenly lose your job in the middle of a huge economic downturn. Jobs are scarce, no one is hiring....and the people that are hiring are extremely choosy. (Yes, this happened to yours truly circa 2002 - post dotcom bubble)

Think a degree from an Ivy League, or high caliber name recognition school would help then....hell yeah!

You should definitely pick the most prestigious school you get accepted to. Name recognition matters.

depends on the industry and on the individual

i was looking for a job in 2009, yup, pretty hard to find. I was competing with UCLA and USC grads and still got the job over them.

But i see so many complaints about how much school costs, if people think that this is a BENEFIT (school rep) that they want to pay for, then why complain about the cost?

People get suckered into bad debt and blame the system for their incompetence. I'm not saying a degree is worth it; im saying that as a individual, you have to assess the reality of your financial situation.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:

And that of course is part of the problem, since these are the more expensive and exclusive schools out there, which perpetuates a form of aristocracy.

Instead of valuing education as a necessary part of a strong economy and nation, we have turned it into the same thing that medicine is: a grossly overpriced cash grab that creates a huge gap between haves and have nots and and financially punishes those least able to take the economic hit.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject:

shnxx wrote:
might work well for a small culturally homogeneous country (relatively speaking).

the amount of vitriol americans have for other cultural groups makes it difficult in america to do things like this.

i know for sure that i dont want to pay more taxes to subsidize college student loans.

California Universities were tuition free for almost a hundred years until Ronald Reagan was elected Governor and started slapping tuition fees on students. He then took all that trickle down hoopla national and we've all been soaked every since. Once upon a time this nation also thought a better educated populace was in the national interest. Now they want as few educated voters as possible.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
shnxx wrote:

California Universities were tuition free for almost a hundred years until Ronald Reagan was elected Governor and started slapping tuition fees on students. He then took all that trickle down hoopla national and we've all been soaked every since. Once upon a time this nation also thought a better educated populace was in the national interest. Now they want as few educated voters as possible.

Yessir.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: