Will the Lakers improve defensively compared to last year?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Defense is made up of three main things: the physical talent of the players, the scheme, and the intelligence and effort expended running it. If you can get the last two things working, you can take poor individual guys and fashion a decent team defense. la should be able to get into the middle third of teams.

Agree with the analysis and based on that I'd argue a bit more improvement than "middle third of teams" which would be around #25 which is only an improvement of 3 slots up from last years #28.....

.... I'm expecting perhaps an improvement of maybe as high as #20 this year....

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
24 wrote:
Defense is made up of three main things: the physical talent of the players, the scheme, and the intelligence and effort expended running it. If you can get the last two things working, you can take poor individual guys and fashion a decent team defense. la should be able to get into the middle third of teams.

Defense is Effort, communication and anticipation, also understanding that if your man gets beaten you have to be there. You don't need to be super athletic or anything like that you have to be a unit that doesn't miss a beat on rotations.

BINGO.... which leads me to believe with Scott going out of his way to make a big effort to get this team to focus more on defense in combination with arguably a slightly improved defensive talent pool on this current roster that this team could potentially end up somewhere around #20 in the league give or take a couple of positions either way thus improving as much as something in the area of 8 positions compared to last year....

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
24 wrote:

Agree with the analysis and based on that I'd argue a bit more improvement than "middle third of teams" which would be around #25 which is only an improvement of 3 slots up from last years #28.....

This makes no sense. Middle third would be 11-20. Not #25. It would #15.

If you're expecting an improvement as high as #20, that would be BELOW the middle third.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
24 wrote:

If you're expecting an improvement as high as #20, that would be BELOW the middle third.

I guess I'm confused.... there's 30 teams, right?

And if you divide the league up into thirds then you have the following: 1st third: 1-10, 2nd third 11-20, 3rd third 21-30....

.... So I'm understanding that "middle third" would be the "middle" of the 3rd part of the league which I was thinking would be from 21-30 hence #25 would be the "middle" of these teams 21-30... Which is why I said what I did....

I see what your saying now, "middle third" and I'm sure you probably correct that 24 is talking about the 2nd group of the teams divided up into thirds.... that said, to predict 11-20, which is what your saying is what was said that is actually a very wide range of positions, wouldn't you agree.... Another reason why I thought 24 was drilling down to around the "middle" of the "third set of team" (last 10 teams) thus around #25....

.... That said, I will agree that I apparently looked at the statement "middle third" in the wrong way.... with 11-20 in mind which is what I presume was what was meant by 24 then I'd have to say it seems a tad high.... perhaps the Lakers reach the very lowest threshold of these 11-20 (middle third) of teams but I think its more accurate to say the Lakers have the potential to end up around #20 or so this year....

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject:

We should play better defense.

Coach who puts emphasis on defense, slower pace, more footspeed.

We should be middle of the pack defensive team which is not too bad IMO.

Lin Kobe Johnson Boozer/Randle Hill/Davis is not atrocious. Middle of the pack.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject:

LINK: Kobe Bryant impressed by new teammate Ronnie Price
Quote:

"I'm a defensive-minded guy," he said. "The assist category for me isn't something that I judge myself on, I know a lot of people do. It's a stat for a point guard that everyone looks at.

"If I can just get guys the ball at the right time for them to make plays, or to make plays for someone else, that's my job."

Price said he was thrilled at the chance to join the Lakers, but he still has to make the team.

The addition of Price (assuming he makes the team which based on Kobe's narrative would be more likely than some might think) will certainly bolster the defense in the back-court.... which btw, is a player that I had NOT mentioned when initially posting the thread.... So predicting around #20 in the league becomes a tad more probable with this in mind.....

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
Quote:

"I'm a defensive-minded guy," he said. "The assist category for me isn't something that I judge myself on, I know a lot of people do. It's a stat for a point guard that everyone looks at.

"If I can just get guys the ball at the right time for them to make plays, or to make plays for someone else, that's my job."

Price said he was thrilled at the chance to join the Lakers, but he still has to make the team.

The addition of Price (assuming he makes the team which based on Kobe's narrative would be more likely than some might think) will certainly bolster the defense in the back-court.... which btw, is a player that I had NOT mentioned when initially posting the thread.... So predicting around #20 in the league becomes a tad more probable with this in mind.....

Ronnie Price will have no impact on where the team lands, over the course of the season, on defense. He won't get enough time.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
24 wrote:

And if you divide the league up into thirds then you have the following: 1st third: 1-10, 2nd third 11-20, 3rd third 21-30....

.... So I'm understanding that "middle third" would be the "middle" of the 3rd part of the league which I was thinking would be from 21-30 hence #25 would be the "middle" of these teams 21-30... Which is why I said what I did....

I see what your saying now, "middle third" and I'm sure you probably correct that 24 is talking about the 2nd group of the teams divided up into thirds.... that said, to predict 11-20, which is what your saying is what was said that is actually a very wide range of positions, wouldn't you agree.... Another reason why I thought 24 was drilling down to around the "middle" of the "third set of team" (last 10 teams) thus around #25....

.... That said, I will agree that I apparently looked at the statement "middle third" in the wrong way.... with 11-20 in mind which is what I presume was what was meant by 24 then I'd have to say it seems a tad high.... perhaps the Lakers reach the very lowest threshold of these 11-20 (middle third) of teams but I think its more accurate to say the Lakers have the potential to end up around #20 or so this year....

Well, I agree with you on us being around #20. I think that is a very reasonable projection and I'm on the same page with you there.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
Quote:

Ronnie Price will have no impact on where the team lands, over the course of the season, on defense. He won't get enough time.

He most likely will if Nash has the kind of season this year that he did last....

.... Kobe had this to say about Price after the Lakers first day of training camp: "... all-star Kobe Bryant singled out veteran guard Ronnie Price for quickly showing he's ahead of his teammates. 'Price looked really good.'..."

Price among other things had this to say "The only thing I have control of is competing defensively. That's one thing that I can control night in and night out."

.... You might be surprised to see coach Scott giving him more floor time than you might think (at the expense of Nash even if he is healthy to some extent) simply because of his "defensive" contribution to the team.... If Price averages the same number of minutes as last year, that is 12 mpg, then this can clearly impact the Lakers from a "defensive" standpoint.....

Last edited by LA_Lakers_Rule on Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
King beef
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Hard to tell if the defense will be worse this year than last year. You have two very different systems beateen Byron Scott and Dantoni. The truth is that how good the defense is is relative to the system.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Just having real starters starting will make the defense better. No more D Leaguers who can't spell defense.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
Quote:

He most likely will if Nash has the kind of season this year that he did last....

.... Kobe had this to say about Price after the Lakers first day of training camp: "... all-star Kobe Bryant singled out veteran guard Ronnie Price for quickly showing he's ahead of his teammates. 'Price looked really good.'..."

Price among other things had this to say "The only thing I have control of is competing defensively. That's one thing that I can control night in and night out."

.... You might be surprised to see coach Scott giving him more floor time than you might think (at the expense of Nash even if he is healthy to some extent) simply because of his "defensive" contribution to the team.... If Price averages the same number of minutes as last year, that is 12 mpg, then this can clearly impact the Lakers from a "defensive" standpoint.....

I really don't care what Kobe said about him. Kobe also said he thought we'd come back from an 0-3 hole to Dallas and we got swept. LOL.

He also called Andrew Goudelock the mini mamba and was impressed by him too. Heck, maybe it's a bad thing if Kobe is impressed! Haha.

Did you really watch Ronnie Price last year? I call shenanigans. He mainly played in garbage time. He shot 30% for crying out loud. Please stop overrating every single summer league sign up!!!!!
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject:

LakersNewEra wrote:
We should play better defense.

Coach who puts emphasis on defense, slower pace, more footspeed.

We should be middle of the pack defensive team which is not too bad IMO.

Lin Kobe Johnson Boozer/Randle Hill/Davis is not atrocious. Middle of the pack.

More footspeed? They lost Meeks who is probably one of the fastest players in the NBA. Farmar was also fast. Then you add Kobe and Boozer to the mix. If anything it's a wash in that dept..
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
Quote:

I really don't care what Kobe said about him. Kobe also said he thought we'd come back from an 0-3 hole to Dallas and we got swept. LOL.

He also called Andrew Goudelock the mini mamba and was impressed by him too. Heck, maybe it's a bad thing if Kobe is impressed! Haha.

Did you really watch Ronnie Price last year? I call shenanigans. He mainly played in garbage time. He shot 30% for crying out loud. Please stop overrating every single summer league sign up!!!!!

I'm quite sure this is the very first comment I've ever made THIS year regarding any of the "summer league sign up[s]" for crying out loud!!!!!! ... I invite you to show me where I have? (I can safely say this because I probably haven't even posted at all for the past several months up until just the last couple of days, check it out for yourself)....

Oh and btw, I'm not the one "overrating" this player.... apparently as you've just pointed out it is Kobe doing this, RIGHT?

So I guess from your POV posters on LG aren't supposed to post comments made by players in the event those comments may not agree with someone on this board?

.... Let me add that I'm personally not saying that I'm that overly excited about Price, but again I will say IF he makes the team it WILL be because of "defense" and IF so then he could very well get some floor time for this reason.... Where I see this possibly happening is for Scott to bring him into the game to "cool down" a hot shooting guard..... Oh and I'm not quite sure how suggesting that Price might possibly average as much 12 mpg primarily because of "defense" is "overrating" him anyway (if Scott places an emphasis on "defense" this is a possibility).... it doesn't really sound like major minutes to me, does it to you?

That said, I'm staying with my opinion that Price could end up averaging close to 12 mpg based primarily on his "defensive" talent.... Could be wrong of course, we'll see..... ... then maybe he doesn't even make the team (non-guaranteed if I'm not mistaken) hence a moot point either way.... To be honest he is a bit of a long-shot to make the team anyway.... Still that said, it's nice to hear the good things Kobe has to say about him regardless of whether it may just be hyperbole on Kobe's part....

razor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject:

The biggest problem will be Hill. Playing Hill at center will only get him into foul trouble, he's a great rebounding forward. The lakers need a 7ft defensive center, offense optional, that way the guys on the perimeter can lock it down...there is no fear from opposing teams to drive in the laker paint.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
Quote:

Kobe was impressed with Sasha too. Who can forget Sasha's legendary buckets vs the Celtics in the finals?
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject:

B_P wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
From last year? Of course.

OK, but how much better?

DOES ANYONE WANT TO TAKE A STAB AT RANKING THEM FOR NEXT YEAR (keeping in mind they ranked #28 last year in NBA Team Defensive Efficiency)?

Well Byron's Cleveland teams usually ranked around 26th in defense so they should be at least a little bit better.

What about Byron's NJ and NO teams? Where were they usually ranked?

Depended on his personnel. When he had young teams with good perimeter and post defenders, his teams did well defensively. When he had teams that didnt have that, they struggled defensively. What guys on this team will be his Tyson Chandler or Kenyon Martin? Or his Jason Kidd or Chris Paul?

He was 26th with a lousy roster so I think it's safe to believe he will be a little better with this one but I don't think it's fair to expect too much of an improvement until he gets some lockdown defenders.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
B_P wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

OK, but how much better?

DOES ANYONE WANT TO TAKE A STAB AT RANKING THEM FOR NEXT YEAR (keeping in mind they ranked #28 last year in NBA Team Defensive Efficiency)?

Well Byron's Cleveland teams usually ranked around 26th in defense so they should be at least a little bit better.

Depended on his personnel. When he had young teams with good perimeter and post defenders, his teams did well defensively. When he had teams that didnt have that, they struggled defensively. What guys on this team will be his Tyson Chandler or Kenyon Martin? Or his Jason Kidd or Chris Paul?

He was 26th with a lousy roster so I think it's safe to believe he will be a little better with this one but I don't think it's fair to expect too much of an improvement until he gets some lockdown defenders.

Um.. couldn't you say this about ANY coach?

Don't give me Popovich either as Splitter, Duncan and Kawhi are good defenders. Boris Diaw even did a good job on LeBron James.

It's like saying Jordan Clarkson can score 10 points if the ball goes through the hoop. If it doesn't - he struggles to score.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject:

ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
B_P wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

OK, but how much better?

Um.. couldn't you say this about ANY coach?

Don't give me Popovich either as Splitter, Duncan and Kawhi are good defenders. Boris Diaw even did a good job on LeBron James.

It's like saying Jordan Clarkson can score 10 points if the ball goes through the hoop. If it doesn't - he struggles to score.

Yes you can. I think the results in sports are primarily talent driven. Coaches can make a difference but as a rule, I think they get way too much credit for the good and the bad.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject:

ryan_c wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
Quote:

Kobe was impressed with Sasha too. Who can forget Sasha's legendary buckets vs the Celtics in the finals?

He was impressed with his 3pt shooting in practice. I don't remember him being impressed with his FTs.

I hope Ronnie Price is good for us. I really hope he'll be nothing like what he has been his entire NBA career.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
24 wrote:

I was dividing the teams into thirds and saying we could get into the middle group 11-20). People forget that before the injury fest hit, mdas Lakers were in the middle group.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
Quote:

The Lakers have 13 guaranteed contracts and will probably have a 14 man roster. Price and Clarkson will probably battle for the final spot. Personally, I think Clarkson makes more sense.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
24 wrote:

I was dividing the teams into thirds and saying we could get into the middle group 11-20). People forget that before the injury fest hit, mdas Lakers were in the middle group.

Small sample size. 141+ points in three separate games is pretty shameful.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
24 wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
24 wrote:

Even smaller sample size. Sampled after the injuries piled up. Team held 8 of 11 teams under 100 earlier, and half of the first 26.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
24 wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
24 wrote:

Even smaller sample size. Sampled after the injuries piled up. Team held 8 of 11 teams under 100 earlier, and half of the first 26.

So were still stubbornly sticking to the dantoni coaches average defense argument even after the guy failed miserably? That's some some strong stat picking. Are you drinking when you post this stuff? I notice you rarely post this type of stuff before 10pm.whiskey?
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
Quote:

The Lakers have 13 guaranteed contracts and will probably have a 14 man roster. Price and Clarkson will probably battle for the final spot. Personally, I think Clarkson makes more sense.

I totally agree if in fact the Lakers go with a 14 player roster.... definitely Clarkson makes all the sense in the world between the two players.... You certainly don't want to give up on Clarkson this early on and watch him develop to possibly become a solid PG at some point somewhere else.... Clarkson looks to promising to take that risk and could turn out to be the real "steal" of the draft this year....

Frankly I'd prefer the Lakers keep both and go with a 15 player roster for a short time early on in the season to determine if Nash looks like he'll be able to hold up this year.... If Nash starts having back problems again early on the Lakers will need all three of the other players that can play the PG position adequately (Lin, Clarkson, Price) as opposed to needing somebody like Henry or Kobe play out of position at PG which was the case last year for Henry..... I say this because without Nash the Lakers would be down to ONLY TWO veteran PG's which is bare minimum hence assuming these are the two players on the bubble (which makes sense) then not going with the 15 player roster could put the PG position in jeopardy keeping in mind how fragile Nash's health happens to be at his age....

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: