General Professional Boxing Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 317, 318, 319 ... 512, 513, 514  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:
Why can't GGG vs Floyd happen at a catch weight? Is Floyd afraid of anyone that has a legitamate chance to tarnish his record?

lol wtf

dude GGG is way too big for floyd.

really?
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:
Why can't GGG vs Floyd happen at a catch weight? Is Floyd afraid of anyone that has a legitamate chance to tarnish his record?

lol what the heck

really?

They can meet at 154.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject:

RIP Dan Goosen
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-dan-goossen-dies-20140929-story.html

I wonder if this means that Dre would be released from his contract obligation now.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject:

Had to post this up early in the week, so that nobody would miss Wednesday's broadcast:

http://fightnights.com/boxing-schedule

And, for those that can, the Stevens fight is in Santa Monica @ The Barker Hangar. I wouldn't have been able to go anyway, since it's in the middle of the work week, but another chance to see live boxing and watching Stevens live could be worth it. Ticketmaster has tickets:
http://www.ticketmaster.com/king-sportsespn2-present-an-epic-night-santa-monica-california-10-01-2014/event/09004D250CD186C5?artistid=2040161&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=33&tm_link=venue_msg-0_09004D250CD186C5

Cheapest I found were $89.50. Tickets seem a little over-priced to me, but wanted to post it up, in case there are some on here that can afford it and are free to go tomorrow night.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject:

Gonzalez vs. Arce is televised on beIN this weekend

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/11539535/jhonny-gonzalez-defend-title-vs-jorge-arce-oct-4

Only the Spanish broadcast, but should be a very entertaining title fight. We'll see if Arce truly has anything left, but I still have my doubts after watching 'Nito rip him to shreds.

doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:
marga86 wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:

lol what the heck

really?

They can meet at 154.

Fight won't work. GGG is a bonefide middleweight who would rehydrate to atleast 165-168, who hits like a heavyweight. Floyd has trouble keeping weight on and would come in around 150.

Only fights left for Floyd are Khan and Manny. And GGG can't get any of the top guys to fight him in his own weight class. Roach said if he fights Cotto for the middleweight title, he'd try to get GGG do come down to 154 for a title that's at 160.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:
So glad I jumped in on getting tickets early. It's such a popular ticket, looks like they're even opening up seats that would typically not be offered up:

http://www.boxing247.com/press-release-boxing/bleacher-seating-added-for-mexican-style-tickets-now-on-sale/34239

It was already surprising that they were offering standing room only. It's gonna be packed. Only 3 weeks away.

I'm gonna be out of town for a couple weeks or I probably would have been there. People love Golovkin and I think if Ruobios interim title is on the line, and GGG wins it, it would make him the number one contender for Cotto's WBC belt.

Enjoy the card dude. Stubhub gets crazy when there are good fight poppin'. Get there early too.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject:

ESPN2 6:00PM 10/1/2014. Hassan N'Dam (30-1, 18 KOs) vs Curtis Stevens (27-4, 20 KOs) I've got it auto tuned.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Laker_Dynasty wrote:
So glad I jumped in on getting tickets early. It's such a popular ticket, looks like they're even opening up seats that would typically not be offered up:

http://www.boxing247.com/press-release-boxing/bleacher-seating-added-for-mexican-style-tickets-now-on-sale/34239

It was already surprising that they were offering standing room only. It's gonna be packed. Only 3 weeks away.

I'm gonna be out of town for a couple weeks or I probably would have been there. People love Golovkin and I think if Ruobios interim title is on the line, and GGG wins it, it would make him the number one contender for Cotto's WBC belt.

Enjoy the card dude. Stubhub gets crazy when there are good fight poppin'. Get there early too.

Oh, yeah. You know me, dough. Me and my cousin are going for the early, early cards. I have to make sure I get my other friends their tickets because I'm not sure they'll want to go so early in the card.

Next time there's a StubHub card that we're both at, we'll have to link up. Enjoy your mini vacation with the wifey. You know I'll have lots of pics (and hopefully mini vid clips) to share.

doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Definitely. We need make an LG party on of these times.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ESPN2 6:00PM 10/1/2014. Hassan N'Dam (30-1, 18 KOs) vs Curtis Stevens (27-4, 20 KOs) I've got it auto tuned.

Since that Golovkin fight, it's been all downhill for Stevens. Dude hasn't looked good.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Since that Golovkin fight, it's been all downhill for Stevens. Dude hasn't looked good.

D'Nam took him to school tonight. I gave him two rounds.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:
marga86 wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:

lol what the heck

really?

They can meet at 154.

Fight won't work. GGG is a bonefide middleweight who would rehydrate to atleast 165-168, who hits like a heavyweight. Floyd has trouble keeping weight on and would come in around 150.

Only fights left for Floyd are Khan and Manny. And GGG can't get any of the top guys to fight him in his own weight class. Roach said if he fights Cotto for the middleweight title, he'd try to get GGG do come down to 154 for a title that's at 160.

Then he should give up the jr. Middleweight belt.

Floyd could also fight Thurman but he won't.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

D'Nam took him to school tonight. I gave him two rounds.

Oh yeah, I gave him 1 more round than you, jo, but N'Dam boxed the hell out of him.

What I don't get is, that last round that Stephens actually went for the gusto...where the hell was that in the middle rounds, when he should've been doing something different. He caught N'Dam good in that last round and could've gotten a dramatic ko.

N'Dam kept getting off first because Stephens was loading up for a big counter. Even worse was, at one point, his corner even told him to start with the jab, but that fool don't listen! That was the most frustrated I've been, since watching Chad Dawson get out boxed by Jean Pascal because he wouldn't throw any punches. Horrible.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject:

GGG vs Stevens

GGG is the much larger man, the difference in size is amazing. I don't think anyone in the division can beat him. If I were a betting man I'd bet Floyd doesn't want any part of this monster.

ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject:

^^ amazingly though one month out from the Rubio fight he weighed in at 165 so I am guessing he doesn't have a hard time making weight and won't rehydrate super high either.

Its like Abel Sanchez said he wants him to be like Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. who can crack. Relentless pressure, superior ability to cut off the ring, savage body attack, great chin. I would say mission accomplished.
Nissan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:

I never thought Garcia would leave em.

I remember after one fight floyd was praising him so much. I'm surprised Garcia left if his pay didnt change.. he is getting up there i age, maybe it was his pride.

I don't blame Garcia about thinking of leaving because what they did was rude and disrespectful.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject:

Nissan wrote:
marga86 wrote:

I remember after one fight floyd was praising him so much. I'm surprised Garcia left if his pay didnt change.. he is getting up there i age, maybe it was his pride.

I don't blame Garcia about thinking of leaving because what they did was rude and disrespectful.

Why? If Floyd felt comfortable with Bob Ware wrapping his hands why not let it play out, see what the future brings? Something else to considered is Garcia's age, 85. Do some in Floyd's camp think he's slipping?

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Looks like Bradley vs. Chaves is official for December 13

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/11631868/timothy-bradley-jr-diego-chaves-fight-set-dec-13-las-vegas

Nissan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Nissan wrote:
marga86 wrote:

Why? If Floyd felt comfortable with Bob Ware wrapping his hands why not let it play out, see what the future brings? Something else to considered is Garcia's age, 85. Do some in Floyd's camp think he's slipping?

Did he talk to Garcia before he let Ware warp his hands? No.

If Floyd wanted Ware to wrap his hands he would've told him ahead of time and he would've had a conversation with Garcia.

How would you like it if a new employee at work started taking over your job without anyone talking to you first and you have been a loyal employee for years?

Garcia is not slipping... he is still one of the best in the business.

Last edited by Nissan on Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:
marga86 wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:

lol what the heck

really?

They can meet at 154.

Then he should give up the jr. Middleweight belt.

Floyd could also fight Thurman but he won't.

He could fight Thurman but I don't think it would sell well. Can't have two brothas fighting on Cinco de Mayo weekend, where all the Latinos are gathered to celebrate and many are fight fans. When you have that Latin element in the mix, even though Chino is not Mexican and gave Floyd hell in the first fight, Latinos will come out and pay for those fights. They want to see Floyd go down and it's icing on the cake if he's a Latino or the Mexicutioner, who would be an honorary Latino for that fight.

I just don't see Thurman bringing that into a fight with Floyd. The serious fight fan would want to see that but the casual fan really don't know too much about Thurman.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
^^ amazingly though one month out from the Rubio fight he weighed in at 165 so I am guessing he doesn't have a hard time making weight and won't rehydrate super high either.

Its like Abel Sanchez said he wants him to be like Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. who can crack. Relentless pressure, superior ability to cut off the ring, savage body attack, great chin. I would say mission accomplished.

I saw him at the Bradley-Provo fight and he walks around looking like 170 to 75. I was chatting it up with one of his handlers and he said he never gets above 175. Sanchez won't allow it. And even when he's not in camp, he's often in the gym working out. And dude has a great chin. Stevens hit him with a nice shots and he walked through them. What do you do when you hit a guy with your best shot and he keeps coming?
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Nissan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Nissan wrote:
marga86 wrote:

Did he talk to Garcia before he let Ware warp his hands? No. The fact that Ware even left his fighter to come back to the dressing room to wrap Floyd's hands tells you something is wrong. Floyd did the correct thing by sending him back.

If Floyd wanted Ware to wrap his hands he would've told him ahead of time and he would've had a conversation with Garcia.

How would you like it if a new employee at work started taking over your job without anyone talking to you first and you have been a loyal employee for years?

I just felt his pride was hurt a little and it's understandable. Floyd should have told him from jump. I mean before everyone of his fights, Garcia was the one to hook up his hands and even while in camp. He as the cut man for the second Maidana fight but I know it stung Garcia.
Nissan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:
marga86 wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:

lol what the heck

really?

They can meet at 154.

Lol. So you want a small fighter like Floyd to fight at 154 when he has trouble adding weight and keeping the weight on? Floyd can only fight at 154 with guys his size or guys who are a little bigger.

GGG does not belong in the ring with someone like Floyd. There is a reason why they have weight classes in boxing.

Forget Khan, Garcia, and Manny for cinco de Mayo. Just fight JCC Jr.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Nissan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Nissan wrote:
marga86 wrote:

Did he talk to Garcia before he let Ware warp his hands? No. The fact that Ware even left his fighter to come back to the dressing room to wrap Floyd's hands tells you something is wrong. Floyd did the correct thing by sending him back.

LINK

Quote:
FM: Rafael Garcia is feeling a certain type of way because Bob Ware, AKA "Do It All" Bob, he wrapped my hands. Rafael is one of the best hand and eye specialists in the world. He's one of the best, if not the best, but even Alex [Ariza] was able to show Rafael some different things, which was great, and then Bob, he wrapped my hands in training camp and it was the best it felt in my life. I've never had my hands wrapped like that in 37 years. But I told Rafael that we work together as one, as a team, and his pay is not going to change. I told him there's enough to go around. On Saturday night, Rafael Garcia was in Mickey Bey's corner working and in the middle of the fight, he left Mickey Bey to come back in the back to wrap my hands. I told him that I believe in doing good business and he needs to go back to work Mickey Bey's corner.

From that I understand Bob was only going to wrap Floyd's hands all other Garcia functions would remain the same.

If you as a fighter, who's hands are his tools, felt better about a wrap, shouldn't you, as a trainer, understand?

As you say Floyd did the right thing sending Garcia back to Bey's corner.

Floyd should have told Garcia of his plans but he's the boss not the employee.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 317, 318, 319 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 318 of 514
Jump to: