Why is Boston Considered Racist?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
Linda is right. It's pretty wrong to call all citizens of Boston racist.

So we'll just stick to Celtic fans.
Paging Dr. KobeBryantCliffordBrown

Why would you page him specifically?

He hasn't said anything in this context that differs from many people here - myself included.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject:

He was the one that said that the vast majority of white southern males were racists.

Quote:
Which would be fine if it wasn't done in a way that would harm the victim of their racism. But basically, he wanted to bring in the racists, and make no mistake, the vast majority of white males in the South are still fighting the Civil War, and kick out the group that has actually been loyal to the organization. Again, institutional racism to the the very core.

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=170019&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75

Last edited by ExPatLkrFan on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
OMG. When this can get past editors and make it to print in a big newspaper, you know there are issues.

Maybe it was a subtle comment on how those in the position of being the last wall of defense, even on the biggest of stage, can let things pass through without notice?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

Paging Dr. KobeBryantCliffordBrown

Let's not use topics as an excuse to call others out personally. If KBCB says something you disagree with, by all means disagree. But no need to call up other stuff like that.
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Seriously?!?.....I'm the oldest in the room?!?...google "Boston school busing"
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
I've never understood how a city with such liberal politics can also be racist.

I think we have to learn to separate politics and race.

Contrary to popular believe, many Conservatives aren't anywhere close to racist and many Liberals are. In both philosophies, the vast majority of people are not racist, but there are a decent amount in both (or just everywhere in general) to warrant oversight.

True to an extent but not so much that there is a valid question as to why conservatives have this weird, mysterious reputation of being the group in which racists feel most comfortable.

Quote:
I think in general, Liberals just do a much better job at marketing themselves.

I think it also helps that liberals are, irrevocably, less racist. By a landslide.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject:

Try to remember that liberal is not the same as Democrat.
I have never known a truly liberal person who was a racist.
I have known lots of racist Democrats.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Contrary to popular believe, many Conservatives aren't anywhere close to racist and many Liberals are. In both philosophies, the vast majority of people are not racist, but there are a decent amount in both (or just everywhere in general) to warrant oversight.

Oh this x 10000. I'm so glad you said it.

I think what a lot of liberals don't realize, is that when they get on their high horse about how we have to help this group and that group, they're basically stereotyping that group in a negative way. It's as if, we must help them because they cannot help themselves.

That's racism, it's just white collar racism so to speak.

FYI: The rag that published the racist cartoon is a right-wing, Republican newspaper.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
OMG. When this can get past editors and make it to print in a big newspaper, you know there are issues.

Read some FB comments where white people act like they totally don't get why this was offensive.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:

There are certainly racist Democrats, no one's denying that. The whole party was filled with Southern racists up until the Civil Rights Act.

But don't try to logically tie that into meaning that the GOP isn't the more racist party right now. Is Ted Nugent a Democrat? Yeah, it's like that.
Kobeskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

Linda is absolutely correct in that it's unfair to call everyone within a city a racist. And I don't think anyone is saying that everyone in Boston is racist.

But Boston has a well established reputation in that regard - and it's not just the old white men living in some kind of isolation. Those old white men have sons and daughters, grandsons and granddaughters. There's a reason that reputation lives . . . one city newspaper just did a good job of making sure to perpetuate that reputation.

I completely agree with you. I'm hispanic and out of all the cities i've visited the one I felt like I wasn't wanted the most was Boston. Yes I stood out like crazy and yes most people were nice but also more than I would like gave me a very bad vibe.

Plus its no secret that Boston is probably the most racist city in america. It's well documented. This ain't baseless accusations here.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Oh this x 10000. I'm so glad you said it.

I think what a lot of liberals don't realize, is that when they get on their high horse about how we have to help this group and that group, they're basically stereotyping that group in a negative way. It's as if, we must help them because they cannot help themselves.

That's racism, it's just white collar racism so to speak.

Yup, that's exactly it. If racist liberals would just back off, black folks would eventually learn to stop being pulled over, harrassed, beaten, shot, arrested, convicted, and incarcerated at enormously higer rates than whites. They would learn how to stop being denied voting rights, employment, and all manner of other opportunities. They need to learn that just because you have neither the voting numbers nor the institutional power, the people who oppressed you and continue to try to do so only do that because of racist liberals.

Conservative America is merely waiting for the racist liberals to be stopped, and then equality will reign. They truly want gays to marry, and women to have reproductive rights and equal pay for equal work. They just don't know how to allow these things until no one comes to the defense of these groups.

All things being equal, a white person in America who is a convicted felon without a high school diploma has a better chance of being granted an interview and then being hired for a job than a black person with no criminal record and a high school diploma. Virtually every Southern state wages a continued war to deny blacks the right to vote or to have their votes mean as much, i.e. "at large voting," etc.

The advantage of simply being in white skin is so huge in general in America that it almost seems to be a lie until one looks into the statistics and then they seem to be a lie because it can't possible be that one-sided. But it is.

Last edited by KobeBryantCliffordBrown on Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject:

Kobeskillz wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

Linda is absolutely correct in that it's unfair to call everyone within a city a racist. And I don't think anyone is saying that everyone in Boston is racist.

But Boston has a well established reputation in that regard - and it's not just the old white men living in some kind of isolation. Those old white men have sons and daughters, grandsons and granddaughters. There's a reason that reputation lives . . . one city newspaper just did a good job of making sure to perpetuate that reputation.

I completely agree with you. I'm hispanic and out of all the cities i've visited the one I felt like I wasn't wanted the most was Boston. Yes I stood out like crazy and yes most people were nice but also more than I would like gave me a very bad vibe.

Plus its no secret that Boston is probably the most racist city in america. It's well documented. This ain't baseless accusations here.

I used to have a girlfriend when I was in school. She was a black woman, absolutely beautiful, And brilliant. 150 IQ easily. Mother was British and father was Ghanian. She had moved to Canada when she was a girl and was a medical student at McGill in Montreal when she came to do a visiting clerkship at Stanford in both of our senior years. We met and began an on and off 10 year relationship.

She used to tell me that she couldn't believe how I viewed race. She thought that I was paranoid for no good reason and that things couldn't be nearly as I thought and said they were.

Well, she eventually did her cardiology fellowship at Harvard. She had been in Boston for about a year when she called me out of the clear blue sky to apologize for not believing me. Until you live it, you can't imagine it.

So, I listen to fools call me a racist for pointing out the racism that actually exists and I just laugh it off now unless I'm in a mood to break it down. But, frankly, as I've explained earlier, that's just for me to maintain my sense of self worth ala Prof. Bell's views on protest. They won't change their minds and I'm damn sure not changing mine. Difference is, I've the proof, they just have a sense of superiority combined with a profound ignorance of the facts.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
Kobeskillz wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

I used to have a girlfriend when I was in school. She was a black woman, absolutely beautiful, And brilliant. 150 IQ easily. Mother was British and father was Ghanian. She had moved to Canada when she was a girl and was a medical student at McGill in Montreal when she came to do a visiting clerkship at Stanford in both of our senior years. We met and began an on and off 10 year relationship.

She used to tell me that she couldn't believe how I viewed race. She thought that I was paranoid for no good reason and that things couldn't be nearly as I thought and said they were.

Well, she eventually did her cardiology fellowship at Harvard. She had been in Boston for about a year when she called me out of the clear blue sky to apologize for not believing me. Until you live it, you can't imagine it.

So, I listen to fools call me a racist for pointing out the racism that actually exists and I just laugh it off now unless I'm in a mood to break it down. But, frankly, as I've explained earlier, that's just for me to maintain my sense of self worth ala Prof. Bell's views on protest. They won't change their minds and I'm damn sure not changing mine. Difference is, I've the proof, they just have a sense of superiority combined with a profound ignorance of the facts.

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:

Thank you. Although I've known racist liberals too, because xenophobia is natural to all humans and even folks who are doing their best to overcome it don't always recognize it in themselves. Speaking from personal experience there. But you don't have to go any farther than the 2008 primaries to see lots of examples of racist democrats.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:

There are certainly racist Democrats, no one's denying that. The whole party was filled with Southern racists up until the Civil Rights Act.

But don't try to logically tie that into meaning that the GOP isn't the more racist party right now. Is Ted Nugent a Democrat? Yeah, it's like that.

That's a good point too. Racism has become a central plank of the Republican platform. While there are racist democrats, the Republican party is itself deliberately involved in direct racism, and sells it pretty transparently to attract and retain race based voters, which we have seen exist in significant numbers.

I used to cross party lines with my vote for for individuals (because there are a ton of good conservative people and there are good conservative ideas--and many of the conservative things i disagree with are rational disagreements with rational people, and I believe in not getting trapped into onendogma or club or in group). Now I do not because I simply cannot vote for anyone as long as they wear a racist uniform, even if I believe they themselves are not.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject:

Kobeskillz wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

I had felt the same way too whenever I visited. Though I had the impression that during my personal experiences, the people nice to me were either transplants or members of one of their colleges.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject:

It's kind of a known thing....
Kobeskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Kobeskillz wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

I had felt the same way too whenever I visited. Though I had the impression that during my personal experiences, the people nice to me were either transplants or members of one of their colleges.

Totally agree! I got along there best with people passing through or from other cities and you are right about the colleges.

It just got this vibe from folks who obviously lived there all their lives. I made it a point to not let it be know I was from cali too. They obviously know im not from there cause I stick out.

I couldn't wait to leave honestly. Just felt uneasy there. Feel sorry for people who live there and have to go through this.

As much as Portland hates the Lakers I went there and the people couldn't be nicer! the complete opposite from Boston.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:

So true.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

So true.

Russell Peters is one funny, crazy, mofo.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:

My post had nothing to do with the Republican party.
Frank The Tank
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject:

The reason Boston has a bad reputation for racism stems from their riots in the 70s against desegregation when black students were bussed into white schools.

There's a very, very famous photograph from that time where a white Bostonian was trying to impale a black man with the American flag.

And, in the 80s, the investigation into the murder of Charles Stuart's wife only seemed to confirm the worst stereotypes of Boston as a racist city.

But, if there hadn't been that famous photo, would people still view Boston as racist?

What that photo did was start the meme that Boston was racist, and it started a cascade of confirmation bias where we would view subsequent actions that Boston was racist.

After that photo, if something happened in Boston, it would be viewed as racist whereas if the same thing happened in another city, people wouldn't say that that city was racist.

Its like nobody viewed Albany as racist like we did with Birmingham or Selma because there weren't the same pictures of Albany where blacks were getting attacked by police dogs or fire hoses. But, was Albany really less racist or did their police chief, Pritchett, outmaneuver Dr. Martin Luther King Jr?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject:

Frank The Tank wrote:
The reason Boston has a bad reputation for racism stems from their riots in the 70s against desegregation when black students were bussed into white schools.

There's a very, very famous photograph from that time where a white Bostonian was trying to impale a black man with the American flag.

And, in the 80s, the investigation into the murder of Charles Stuart's wife only seemed to confirm the worst stereotypes of Boston as a racist city.

But, if there hadn't been that famous photo, would people still view Boston as racist?

What that photo did was start the meme that Boston was racist, and it started a cascade of confirmation bias where we would view subsequent actions that Boston was racist.

After that photo, if something happened in Boston, it would be viewed as racist whereas if the same thing happened in another city, people wouldn't say that that city was racist.

Its like nobody viewed Albany as racist like we did with Birmingham or Selma because there weren't the same pictures of Albany where blacks were getting attacked by police dogs or fire hoses. But, was Albany really less racist or did their police chief, Pritchett, outmaneuver Dr. Martin Luther King Jr?

LINK

Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject:

Because they're white, and white people are evil.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: