2 New Developments: 1) NBA TV Revenue Money Increases by 180%; 2) NBA to Possibly Implement New Draft System

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: 2 New Developments: 1) NBA TV Revenue Money Increases by 180%; 2) NBA to Possibly Implement New Draft System

According to Brian Windhorst, based on new TV deal projections, max contracts for 10 year vets to increase by $6m/year and 7 year vets increase to $4m/year. Of course, this is assuming just by the numbers and not factoring other issues. I think teams were well aware of this going forward for a while now. It begs the question as to whether it would have been worth it to grab a 2nd tier player this summer, knowing that what you pay them now is going count less against the cap in 2016 and beyond. (BTW, Nick Young’s salary looks a lot less if you factor the potential meteoric rise of the salary cap).

Second, the NBA Board of Governors may vote on a new draft system whereby:

1. League’s 4 worst teams have an equal 12% chance at earning the top pick, and next 2 teams have slightly worse odds. (currently 3 worst teams have a staggered % chance);

2. Most importantly, the lottery would be for the top 6 spots instead of 3. I think this is key because assuming that the Lakers are unable to make the playoffs, they could have 5 chances to keep their pick in 2015 instead of 3.

Pretty interesting developments that could really affect the Lakers IMO. Might be worthwhile, If players and their agents are up to it, to grab some talent in 2015 free agency knowing that their relative cap hit will be less in 2016 going forward. So $1 in cap space will not be worth the same in 2016. Of course players/agents will know that too, but you might see some outrageous free agent $ being thrown around this summer
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: 2 New Developments: 1) NBA TV Revenue Money Increases by 180%; 2) NBA to Possibly Implement New Draft System

yinoma2001 wrote:

2. Most importantly, the lottery would be for the top 6 spots instead of 3. I think this is key because assuming that the Lakers are unable to make the playoffs, they could have 5 chances to keep their pick in 2015 instead of 3.

From what I have read, if they do vote to change the draft procedure, it will not be implemented until all pick trades made before the vote have been executed.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: 2 New Developments: 1) NBA TV Revenue Money Increases by 180%; 2) NBA to Possibly Implement New Draft System

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

From what I have read, if they do vote to change the draft procedure, it will not be implemented until all pick trades made before the vote have been executed.

Really? Sigh. If that's the case, there are trade protections going way into the horizon that would push this back to what, 2017, 2018?
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: 2 New Developments: 1) NBA TV Revenue Money Increases by 180%; 2) NBA to Possibly Implement New Draft System

yinoma2001 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Really? Sigh. If that's the case, there are trade protections going way into the horizon that would push this back to what, 2017, 2018?

It may not have been in reference to this proposal, but to the wheel proposal, so it could still be implemented before then. But you could see how if we think it gives us extra chances to benefit, the other party thinks it gives them extra chances to get jobbed.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: 2 New Developments: 1) NBA TV Revenue Money Increases by 180%; 2) NBA to Possibly Implement New Draft System

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It may not have been in reference to this proposal, but to the wheel proposal, so it could still be implemented before then. But you could see how if we think it gives us extra chances to benefit, the other party thinks it gives them extra chances to get jobbed.

Well, technically, 16 teams make the playoffs vs. 14 lottery. Out of the 14, probably 6-8 are perennially in the Lottery. So maybe the other teams just want to get rid of the embarrassment currently called the "76ers"
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Can't remember a time where I was so indifferent about the league that news like this meant nothing to me... Seriously... Screw Dan Gilbert's NBA.

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Yinoma, I actually think this will hurt the Lakers quite a bit so long as they have the capspace plans. Clearly the next big splash is in 2016 when KD, Lebron (again) and even potentially Dwight Howard are FA's. Of course I know Dwight won't be an option, but the point is that is when the next big FA summer is supposed to happen. If the new maxes come into play, then I don't see how a team like the Lakers gain anything. Teams like OKC, CLE, HOU all gain as they can offer even more years of guaranteed money.

I really agree with you in that if you had someone on contract who had star potential at 8-9 M, it would look a lot better in 2 years than now.

Anyway, I've always felt Mitch won't use FA signings to get back in contention. He will trade his way back. That's always been my opinion. This only convinces me more he has to take that route.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Laker Lover
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject:

They should keep the same salary cap and free agency system in place or it can get ugly and out of control.

My suggestion with the extra revenue is to give players a bonus and leave it at that.
Laker Lover
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject:

As for the draft, got to get rid of the percentages teams are tanking for. Make it more of an even chance for all lottery teams.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: 2 New Developments: 1) NBA TV Revenue Money Increases by 180%; 2) NBA to Possibly Implement New Draft System

yinoma2001 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Well, technically, 16 teams make the playoffs vs. 14 lottery. Out of the 14, probably 6-8 are perennially in the Lottery. So maybe the other teams just want to get rid of the embarrassment currently called the "76ers"

The greatest threat the 76ers pose is if it works really well.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Yinoma, I actually think this will hurt the Lakers quite a bit so long as they have the capspace plans. Clearly the next big splash is in 2016 when KD, Lebron (again) and even potentially Dwight Howard are FA's. Of course I know Dwight won't be an option, but the point is that is when the next big FA summer is supposed to happen. If the new maxes come into play, then I don't see how a team like the Lakers gain anything. Teams like OKC, CLE, HOU all gain as they can offer even more years of guaranteed money.

I really agree with you in that if you had someone on contract who had star potential at 8-9 M, it would look a lot better in 2 years than now.

Anyway, I've always felt Mitch won't use FA signings to get back in contention. He will trade his way back. That's always been my opinion. This only convinces me more he has to take that route.

That may be true, but as Larry Coon pointed out, they may phase in the cap increases for that very reason. So it's advantageous to a team like the Lakers who will have cap room in 2015 and 2016 to grab players on contracts that will be gradually pro-rated downwards (% of salary cap wise). Of course, agents/players will try to maneuver themselves accordingly. I think it's getting increasingly difficult for the Lakers to pull of trades like Pau Gasol simply because we don't have assets to go out (since we've traded our 1st rounders already). We're likely not trading Randle so besides cap space, we don't have much to offer.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject:

Laker Lover wrote:
As for the draft, got to get rid of the percentages teams are tanking for. Make it more of an even chance for all lottery teams.

I guess instead of a lottery for the first 3 spots, it may expand to 6, so that's a start.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: