Lebron/Love/Irving vs. Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Lebron/Love/Irving vs. Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka

I was thinking about this recently and I'm not sure which big 3 is better. This is a little different issue but I'm also wondering if OKC matches up better with Cleveland than Miami.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Well Love can drag Ibaka out, which is always an issue for OKC, but they might just leave Ibaka at center instead since Cleveland don't really have one.

Cleveland don't have anyone to guard Westbrook, but then if he takes jump shots, you don't need anyone, certainly an interesting matchup.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Talent wise it's OKC IMO. But mentally Lebron just owns KD in head to heads. So I gotta pick Cle.

Doesn't OKC have some mobile bigs that could follow Love out to the perimeter?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject:

I'd go with the Cavaliers, with the caveat that there's a good chance one of Irving/Love won't be healthy should they reach the finals.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
Well Love can drag Ibaka out, which is always an issue for OKC, but they might just leave Ibaka at center instead since Cleveland don't really have one.

Cleveland don't have anyone to guard Westbrook, but then if he takes jump shots, you don't need anyone, certainly an interesting matchup.

I remember Westbrook mostly struggling against the Heat. That's one reason OKC struggled against the Heat. Durant stepped up but his teammates didn't. If the Cavs don't play the same level of defense then I don't see how they can stop him.
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Telleris wrote:

I remember Westbrook mostly struggling against the Heat. That's one reason OKC struggled against the Heat. Durant stepped up but his teammates didn't. If the Cavs don't play the same level of defense then I don't see how they can stop him.

People underestimated the importance of Bosh. He was the center of the Heat's defensive scheme, and his ability to blow up pick and rolls was huge for them. I think Love is a better overall player, but he isn't going to provide that same defensive impact. Westbrook is definitely going to have an easier time against Cleveland than he did against Miami.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:14 am    Post subject:

Jeffs wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Telleris wrote:

People underestimated the importance of Bosh. He was the center of the Heat's defensive scheme, and his ability to blow up pick and rolls was huge for them. I think Love is a better overall player, but he isn't going to provide that same defensive impact. Westbrook is definitely going to have an easier time against Cleveland than he did against Miami.

At the time, Ibaka's jump shot was pretty lousy, it was something he mostly developed over the 2012 olympic lead up practicing with Marc for a month straight (he went from EFG 39% to 47% with 40% more volume on jumpers) so it made the okc pnr a little weak since it couldn't really be switched into a pick and pop, so Miami went heavy trap on Harden.

Westbrook struggles when Westbrook takes jumpers though, he's really bad at them, and Ibaka's lack of jump shot didn't help here either since the trapping could be on that side too, also the addition of Adams helps because unlike Perkins, he isn't completely useless at all things offense.

I think OKC has a better support cast right now, between Adams, Jackson, even Morrow and Collison, I like Andy maybe more than any of those 4 when not injured and he's a when not if guy at this point, and I don't really like anyone else on their roster, plus OKC is more of a developed team so they fit better. In a single game, he who shoots best wins, but over a series, i think i'd go with OKC right now.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject:

With Love, Irving and Westbrook consistently spending time in street clothes, I take Durant and Ibaka over Lebron.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject:

Sure, the battle is primarily with the Big 3s. But the supporting casts will be the determining factor if they meet in the Finals. Who guards Reggie Jackson for example?
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sure, the battle is primarily with the Big 3s. But the supporting casts will be the determining factor if they meet in the Finals. Who guards Reggie Jackson for example?

I keep hearing how Lebron has a new super team, but I'm not even sure that his big 3 is better than the one at OKC. OKC used to also have Harden. OKC still hasn't won yet and I'm not sure they ever will. It makes me more skeptical that Cleveland will win any titles.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I keep hearing how Lebron has a new super team, but I'm not even sure that his big 3 is better than the one at OKC. OKC used to also have Harden. OKC still hasn't won yet and I'm not sure they ever will. It makes me more skeptical that Cleveland will win any titles.

They'll get out of the east maybe 3 or 4 times, sure some years the team that comes out is scrubarific, but given multiple chances i'm sure they'll get a matchup they'll like, or injury to their benefit eventually, the west is a bloodbath but there's no team you know is just going to rifle through everyone. Other thing with Cleveland is they have some young talent that if they're willing to part with, could certainly get some halfway decent fitting roleplayers.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Telleris wrote:

Nah it was Harden that pretty much disappeared (kind of like how he played the majority of the games against the vaunted Blazers).

37% shooting and 12 points a game in the Finals against the Heat. It wasn't so much the stats but hit total passivity (being hounded by Lebron and Wade can do that to a guy). Some players hit back when thrown into a fire. Others grab ankles.

Westbrook on the other hand was his usual torrid self or ice cold. He always gave monster rebound totals for a guard and expected assist numbers for a shoot first pg.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_2012_finals.html#MIA-OKC

Westbrook averaged 27 pts, 6.5 boards and 6.6 asst in the Finals against the Heat in 2011 shooting 43%.

In 2012-2013 he had a 20/11/3 game and a 26/5/10 but shot the ball poorly both games (29% and 37%).

Last season he played once against the Heat and that was his first game coming back from missing 26 games and surgery. Pretty much a bad game in limited minutes but it was to be expected.

In any event, Russ' play against Miami was pretty much par for the course. Shoot you into a game. Shoot you out.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Telleris wrote:

Nah it was Harden that pretty much disappeared (kind of like how he played the majority of the games against the vaunted Blazers).

37% shooting and 12 points a game in the Finals against the Heat. It wasn't so much the stats but hit total passivity (being hounded by Lebron and Wade can do that to a guy). Some players hit back when thrown into a fire. Others grab ankles.

Westbrook on the other hand was his usual torrid self or ice cold. He always gave monster rebound totals for a guard and expected assist numbers for a shoot first pg.

Westbrook averaged 27 pts, 6.5 boards and 6.6 asst in the Finals against the Heat in 2011 shooting 43%.

In 2012-2013 he had a 20/11/3 game and a 26/5/10 but shot the ball poorly both games (29% and 37%).

Last season he played once against the Heat and that was his first game coming back from missing 26 games and surgery. Pretty much a bad game in limited minutes but it was to be expected.

In any event, Russ' play against Miami was pretty much par for the course. Shoot you into a game. Shoot you out.

Harden had one incredibly bad game (game 1, the one they won) and 4 decent games, Westbrook had one amazing game (game 4), 1 decent game and 3 awful games. Take out Harden's game 1 and his series looks much like he was the rest of the year for them (a 16 ppg bench player, who chipped in elsewhere when his shot was off), and since they won that game, he didn't really cost them that game, take out Westbrook's game 4, or more specifically look at what he did in the majority of their losing games and you see a context forming....

Averages don't tell you anything in a series, you could shoot 0-40 in two games, then basically singlehandedly win the next 4 and still have 35% shooting, omg you sucked
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Telleris wrote:

The last post beat me to it but I thought Westbrook really struggled. The numbers you mention are actually disappointing because they include his numbers in game 4. His jumper was falling that night and he put up amazing numbers. Even Miami couldn't stop him when he was consistently hitting jumpers. But in the rest of the series he was playing some of the worst basketball I've ever seen him play in the last 5 years.

He was far more effective in the earlier rounds that year. He matched up better against older, less athletic teams like the Lakers and Spurs.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Telleris wrote:

The last post beat me to it but I thought Westbrook really struggled. The numbers you mention are actually disappointing because they include his numbers in game 4. His jumper was falling that night and he put up amazing numbers. Even Miami couldn't stop him when he was consistently hitting jumpers. But in the rest of the series he was playing some of the worst basketball I've ever seen him play in the last 5 years.

He was far more effective in the earlier rounds that year. He matched up better against older, less athletic teams like the Lakers and Spurs.

True. Both fair points.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject:

I like OKC better
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject:

Durant, Westbrook and Ibaka. Not because of skills or talent. All 6 players have incredible talent. But because those guys in OKC do have lot more will. They really need to prove something and want to win.
LeBron has his rings - and he does not have the crazy will Kobe or Michael Jordan have. Neither do Love or Irving. Wade was the driving force in Miami. And if Blatt can create that will and drive in his first season in the spoiled NBA - I'm not sure.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Telleris wrote:

True. Both fair points.

Yeah, in the 43 point game he shot 20-32 from the floor. In the remaining four games, he shot 32-88 (36%), including 3 for 19 from 3 (16%). Durant actually took 3 fewer shots o'er game than Westbrook while scoring over 30 a game. The heat made a decision to stop harden and let Westbrook fire away.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: