i never liked the Scott hire because all he does is pleasing veterans
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject:

-Showtime- wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Yeah, Boozer doesn't seem to be working all that hard on either end thus far in ... and that's disappointing to me. He's just kind of drifting and not really attempting to assert himself in the way I thought a former two-time all star that's just been dealt the amnesty blow might.

I thought he would be playing hard with a chip on his shoulder. Maybe he will pick it up in the regular season. I really hope so.

I wouldn't count on it. To me, Boozer is just warming up that PF spot for Randle and teaching the rookie the ropes. He's also preventing Randle from being overwhelmed his first few months in the NBA.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject:

I was never a fan of hiring Scott, but him favoring veterans isn't something that I have a problem with. I am also not a fan of the idea that if a young player isn't starting, you are stunting his development. Where the idea that a player can't be developed while coming off the bench originated I have no idea. It is not a valid idea.
Boybees
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject:

We have no chance to compete this year. We'll be one of the worst teams in the NBA again.

The smart strategy is to put an entertaining product on the floor (= Kobe), develop young players, look to dump expiring contracts at the deadline for a young UNDERVALUED player (otherwise no trades), and position the team to get the best possible draft pick.

That's the quickest path to returning the Lakers to prominence.
youcantguardme
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject:

The Byron complaints are ignorant at this point. Please Lakers fans realize this one point: This is NOT a playoff team. There is a VERY GOOD chance that this is a sub-500 team. IF this team does get into the playoffs it will be a monumental task. The personnel is limited and regardless of what fans say the organization is rebuilding. Still, there are good pieces. Decent young players that could develop and two old guys that are still fun to watch. I think that Randle was a steal in the draft and if the kid has a brain and a work ethic he could be unstoppable on the offensive end with a but of experience. Lin is still a bit overrated but is a giant improvement over Farmar.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Yeah, Boozer doesn't seem to be working all that hard on either end thus far in ... and that's disappointing to me. He's just kind of drifting and not really attempting to assert himself in the way I thought a former two-time all star that's just been dealt the amnesty blow might.

That's how he played in Chicago. With his nice (but funky looking mid-range game) he can score some points. But his defense has been like this for a few seasons now. And he is not a very active player, which makes guys like Davis look even more hyper active.

Nailed it. But that's the part I thought we'd see an alteration in with Booz.

I'm not asking for wasted motion or simply flailing activity for the appearance of doing something but the guy just looks like he's coasting and, unless he's just preserving himself for the regular season, I think that's unacceptable. He's got a very capable and young backup to split the minutes with ... no reason he can sell out a little more.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject:

-Showtime- wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

I thought he would be playing hard with a chip on his shoulder. Maybe he will pick it up in the regular season. I really hope so.

That's the only hope, honestly because nobody on this team is backing up Scott's early report that this squad has a lot of players coming in with a little something extra to prove. Carlos is the biggest disappointment to me, thus far.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

That's how he played in Chicago. With his nice (but funky looking mid-range game) he can score some points. But his defense has been like this for a few seasons now. And he is not a very active player, which makes guys like Davis look even more hyper active.

I'm not asking for wasted motion or simply flailing activity for the appearance of doing something but the guy just looks like he's coasting and, unless he's just preserving himself for the regular season, I think that's unacceptable. He's got a very capable and young backup to split the minutes with ... no reason he can sell out a little more.

Booz isn't terribly mobile to begin with, and he's pushing 33, so I suspect with Byron's workouts, he's probably gassed and/or coasting.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I was never a fan of hiring Scott, but him favoring veterans isn't something that I have a problem with. I am also not a fan of the idea that if a young player isn't starting, you are stunting his development. Where the idea that a player can't be developed while coming off the bench originated I have no idea. It is not a valid idea.

Yeah, I used to be in favor of a total "trial by fire" approach when it came to promising rooks and youngsters but the truth is, very few are mature enough to possess or adopt the discipline required to maintain a starting spot when it's just handed to them. Not to mention, they inevitably hit the wall and go through so many growing pains (off court as well as on) that it just makes far more sense to bring them along slowly.

I mean, look at Randle ... the guy is bright, articulate and a hard worker. We heard nothing but great reports prior to the draft, during SPL, and all the way up til camp ... he dropped weight, got healthy and was working non-stop ... YET ... he still was a step or two slow to actual NBA game speed and was even sucking wind and going less than full-speed during drills early on. But, he's sucking it up, putting in the work and making the climb slowly. That's what you wanna see and that's all you can ask.

Had he been named starter or franchise pillar outright, how might differently would he be?

Better to have a kid earn the down payment for there first (used car) than to just hand them the key to the shiny, new Benz.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

Booz isn't terribly mobile to begin with, and he's pushing 33, so I suspect with Byron's workouts, he's probably gassed and/or coasting.

You're right about Carlos' mobility (or lack thereof) and I can see that being absolutely the truth about the toll of Scott's workouts, however, I just expected more of an attitude with the guy after being amnestied. Instead, he looks like the same ole Booz, thus far.

Maybe he'll turn it around once the season starts and he finds his groove? I certainly hope so. It's not like he's going be playing big, big minutes.

I just expected to see more, quite honestly ... especially in the effort department.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

Plus vets cruising through training camp isn't that unusual.
lakerbaker89
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject:

First on the boozer note, I agree with some on the notion he doesn't seem terribly active or having much energy on either end. He can hit the 15 footer though so he is going to get some points. On D though he is extremely limited and if Thibs lost faith in him, I don't know what Scott expects to get out of him on that end. I do see him trying to work on some chemistry with Kobe though on Offense. He probably knows that's whats going to get him PT. I feel hopefully by January, Randle will develop enough, an if he can start hitting that jumper, Randle should start eating away at Boozers minutes. The only thing holding Randle back on O is teams are going to start sagging off of him and we desperately need spacing. GS was doing this a lot since this was now the 3rd time Kerr has seen Randle. Summer league and these two pre season games. But Randle provides ball handling already that Boozer doesn't bring, and his play making is really underrated, especially for a Rookie. I think Randle's potential on D, especially on hedging the pick and roll, moving his feet, or being able to switch out on the SF should slowly start to earn him more and more PT over Booz. To start the season the starting line-up will hopefully be
Lin
Kobe
Wes (Have yet to see X this year to gauge him)
Boozer
Davis (Hill an his 9 mil will probably start though, Davis is going to need to really outplay him consistently)
For the second unit with young out 2 months, I really like Clarkson and think Scott has got to try and find him sometime, even when Young get back. But until Young gets back I would have the second unit as
Nash
Clarkson
X
Randle
Hill
When young gets back X will probably be moved to the SG and Young to the 3 but I would try and find Clarkson as many minutes as I could. I don't know what they plan to do with Ryan K, Scott has not utilized the stretch 4 on his teams. Scott will have to get creative because Kelly can help but I would not play him at the expensive of developing Randle. Inevitably when Nash misses time, injury or sitting out, I would develop Clarkson over playing Price, I'm sure many will not agree with me though on that notion. Just my opinion.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject:

lakerbaker89 wrote:
First on the boozer note, I agree with some on the notion he doesn't seem terribly active or having much energy on either end. He can hit the 15 footer though so he is going to get some points. On D though he is extremely limited and if Thibs lost faith in him, I don't know what Scott expects to get out of him on that end. I do see him trying to work on some chemistry with Kobe though on Offense. He probably knows that's whats going to get him PT. I feel hopefully by January, Randle will develop enough, an if he can start hitting that jumper, Randle should start eating away at Boozers minutes. The only thing holding Randle back on O is teams are going to start sagging off of him and we desperately need spacing. GS was doing this a lot since this was now the 3rd time Kerr has seen Randle. Summer league and these two pre season games. But Randle provides ball handling already that Boozer doesn't bring, and his play making is really underrated, especially for a Rookie. I think Randle's potential on D, especially on hedging the pick and roll, moving his feet, or being able to switch out on the SF should slowly start to earn him more and more PT over Booz. To start the season the starting line-up will hopefully be
Lin
Kobe
Wes (Have yet to see X this year to gauge him)
Boozer
Davis (Hill an his 9 mil will probably start though, Davis is going to need to really outplay him consistently)
For the second unit with young out 2 months, I really like Clarkson and think Scott has got to try and find him sometime, even when Young get back. But until Young gets back I would have the second unit as
Nash
Clarkson
X
Randle
Hill
When young gets back X will probably be moved to the SG and Young to the 3 but I would try and find Clarkson as many minutes as I could. I don't know what they plan to do with Ryan K, Scott has not utilized the stretch 4 on his teams. Scott will have to get creative because Kelly can help but I would not play him at the expensive of developing Randle. Inevitably when Nash misses time, injury or sitting out, I would develop Clarkson over playing Price, I'm sure many will not agree with me though on that notion. Just my opinion.

Welcome to LG, but you have to follow Rule #2.

Thou Shalt Space Thy Paragraphs.
lakerbaker89
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject:

gotcha
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Last thing you want to do when you inherit a team that everybody knows for a fact that will be bad, is to piss off good natured vets and lose the locker room right away.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject:

lakerbaker89 wrote:
First on the boozer note, I agree with some on the notion he doesn't seem terribly active or having much energy on either end.

Are you kidding? Have you seen the back bending, leg out kicking he does on every jumper? That takes a lot of energy.
King beef
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: i never liked the Scott hire because all he does is pleasing veterans

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
this team is going no where even with a bunch of healthy vets. this is a stop gap season, so why not start the youngsters, give them more minutes to grow faster? honestly, i would start the following lineup on opening day

Lin
Kobe
Wes
Randall
Boozer

I disagree with the lineup, but agree with the general point you are making. The biggest problem the Lakers organization and many Laker fans have is that as long as Kobe is playing, they think the Lakers could be a contender. They think the Lakers are a move away from being on top.

This year, we should get a top 5 pick. But we wont because Laker management wont acknowledge that the Kobe era is over. They wont acknowledge that this current team should be in rebuilding mode. They wont acknowledge that we are much closer to being at the bottome than being on top.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Dominating... I didn't see that used anywhere. Where is he"dominating"?
Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject:

Dominating the bottom of the league..lol
Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject:

looks like a loooooooooooooooooooong NBA season
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject:

When we saw Byron Scott wearing a 1990s era Bernie Mac/Steve Harvey suit we should have known his offense would be a relic of that era too. Sigh.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject:

If this keeps up, Byron's warm welcome wont make it to December, if that.

!...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: