Michael Rapaport's NY Knicks flick to open 2014 Tribeca/ESPN Sports film festival

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Michael Rapaport's NY Knicks flick to open 2014 Tribeca/ESPN Sports film festival

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tribeca-espn-sports-film-festival-new-york-knicks-688312

Quote:
Michael Rapaport's New York Knicks Flick to Open 2014 Tribeca/ESPN Sports Film Festival

The Tribeca Film Festival unveiled on Thursday the lineup for the eighth annual Tribeca/ESPN Sports Film Festival, which spotlights independent films about sports and competition. The program includes feature and short films, an outdoor screening, special conversations, and an ESPN Films 30 for 30 program on soccer. The 2014 Tribeca/ESPN Sports Film Festival will run during TFF, taking place April 16-27 in New York City.

The world premiere of the 30 for 30 documentary When the Garden Was Eden will open the program on Thursday, April 17. In the film, Michael Rapaport focuses on the glory days of the Knicks championship teams of the early '70s and their larger impact through a series of interviews with storied figures such as Walt "Clyde" Frazier, Earl Monroe, Willis Reed, Bill Bradley and Phil Jackson.
"The best sports stories have the mythology, complexity and stakes that extend beyond extraordinary athleticism, making for great films. These stories have fueled the huge success of the Tribeca/ESPN sports film festival by bringing sports fans and moviegoers together over the last eight years," said Genna Terranova, Tribeca Film Festival director of programming. "Rappaport's When the Garden Was Eden is a perfect example of a winning start to this year's inspiring slate."
"When The Garden Was Eden gives us an inside look at the captivating era when the New York Knicks were in their prime," said ESPN Films director of development Libby Geist. "Premiering the film at the Tribeca/ESPN Sports Film Festival in the heart of New York City, with Michael Rapaport directing, couldn't be more perfect."

Says Rapaport, "As a native New Yorker and lifelong Knicks fan it was an honor to explore the Championship New York Knick teams. Those players have been a part of my vocabulary since I was a child…Walt Frazier, Earl Monroe and Willis Reed are icons of New York city and it's been a privilege to be a part of re-telling the Knicks story. I also have at times been in awe and tears with the 30 for 30 series and being a filmmaker who has gotten a chance to tell a story for such a great body of films is a great honor…I could not be more excited for our film to premiere right in the center of New York City at the Tribeca Film Festival."
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Should be cool. I (mostly) enjoyed his first doc "Beats, Rhymes & Life" and he was one of the few talking heads on that show NB80's and NB90's who clearly knew the game, remembered stuff, knew what he was talking about...
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/ESPNs-30-FOR-30-to-Present-Knicks-Championship-Film-WHEN-THE-GARDEN-WAS-EDEN-1021-20141017?utm_medium=twitter

Quote:

ESPN's 30 FOR 30 to Present Knicks Championship Film WHEN THE GARDEN WAS EDEN, 10/21

ESPN's 30 FOR 30 to Present Knicks Championship Film WHEN THE GARDEN WAS EDEN, 10/21
In the early 1970s, America was being torn apart by the war in Vietnam, with racial unrest in the streets and a distrust of the White House. But there was a happier place where men of different backgrounds showed people that amazing things could happen when they worked together: Madison Square Garden. "When The Garden Was Eden," directed by Michael Rapaport and based on the book by Harvey Araton, explores the only championship years of the New York Knicks, when they made the NBA FINALS in three out of four seasons, winning two titles.

Stitched together by Red Holzman, the previously mediocre Knicks might have seemed an odd collection of characters: a forward from the rarefied air of Princeton (Bill Bradley), two players from the Jim Crow South (Willis Reed and Walt Frazier), a blue-collar guy from Detroit (Dave DeBusschere), a pair of inner-city guards (Earl Monroe and Dick Barnett), even a mountain man from Deer Lodge, Montana (Phil Jackson). But by embracing their differences and utilizing their strengths, they showed the NBA and the world what it was like to play as a team. That they did it on the stage New York City provided made it all that much sweeter. "When the Garden was Eden" is produced by Jason Bergh and Michael Rapaport and executive produced by Doug Ellin and Jim Lefkowitz.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject:

I finally got around to seeing this it was well done and I learned a lot of new things about the team.

I say this as someone who has hated the Knicks for most of their lives.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: