2014 Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 308, 309, 310, 311, 312  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject:

15 wrote:
i'm an angels fan living in SF....but living with all these moronic giants bandwagoners might make me convert to a dodgers fan next year

It's funny that you say that...I'm in L.A., but my sister works in SF. She could care less about baseball, but was talking about how much/loudly people were screaming when the Giants won.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject:

kcxiv wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
kcxiv wrote:
Worst possible thing happened. How embarrassing. Dodgers went into the postseason fairly hot hitting was on track, completely stalled in the postseason. Giants completely (bleep) their pants at the end of the season and is now in the world series. lol One team steps up big when they had too and the other team with into the fetal position

Shows you winning the division is highly overrated in the wild card era....you just need to make the playoffs because anything can happen. Now we have two wild card teams that are in the World Series.
I dont give a (bleep) about if a wild card team made it. I give a (bleep) about my team completely choking and check out after game one on offense.

Its as pathetic as it gets in sports considering the payroll and the kind of players the team has. At least you guys in so cal can just ignore it and dont really have to hear about it. I live in Nor Cal no matter what i do, its going to be shoved down my freaking throat day in and day out.

I'm in the same boat as you. Living up here sucks right about now. Everywhere I go, it's giants giants giants. It sucks so bad. There is no rational excuse for these guys coming up time and time again. Just once, you'd think they would not come through. And Ishikawa?!? Dude wasn't even on the team halfway through the year.

Dunno what it is, but the baseball gods are enamored with the giants. Only good news is that this misery will be over after next series. Hopefully with a royals victory
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Sucks that the Giants had to win, but at least they did it quick so the Royals aren't waiting around cooling down for nearly two weeks, like the Rockies in '07.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Go Royals.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Go Royals.

X infiniti

Kiss my Converse.
AuraStar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
AuraStar wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
AuraStar wrote:
Way back when the Montreal Expos were a club, they had a GM by the name Kevin Malone... In 1995, Malone was named the best GM in baseball by Sporting News. He conducted the Expos' fire sale that saw the likes of Larry Walker, John Wetteland, Ken Hill and Marquis Grissom traded away for top prospects. After Malone resigned following the season, he joined the Orioles as an assistant GM and helped to guide them to the ALCS in 1996 and 1997.

And then the Dodgers decided to hire Malone, whom many (at the time) considered be an bright, up-and-coming, brilliant baseball mind. But a funny thing happened on the way to Dodgers Stadium, it seems Malone never really fully grasped the Dodgers idea of staying competitive, while rebuilding the farm system.

And now there's Andrew Friedman--we shall see about him...

You're overrating Kevin Malone here. He didn't win sporting news' executive of the year. He was never as highly regarded as Friedman.

Sorry, it was BASEBALL WEEKLY. They named Kevin Malone the "Best General Manager in the Game" in 1995! I do believe there ARE parallels between Malone and Friedman.

Read it and weep...

http://www.mfmglobaladvisors.com/kevinmalone.html
(First line.)

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1995-10-10/sports/1995283018_1_la-russa-orioles-manager-tony-la
From the Oct. 10, 1995 article: 'Malone, 38, became GM of the Expos last January, and was named the best general manager in the game earlier this year by Baseball Weekly magazine.'

I could find more articles, but 2 should be enough. If you're really curious you can do a google search.

You basically posted his resume. It's 's going to brag about him as much as possible. So some random magazine gave him an award. Think about it. He's allegedly the best gm in baseball in 1995 then becomes an assistant gm the next year? That makes no sense. He was never that good. He isn't as highly thought of as Friedman.

Dan Evans and Paul DePodesta were also both supposed to be the next great baseball geniuses who would help rebuild the Dodgers and return them greatness. They both lasted a couple years...

Back to Malone, if you go back and look at what people were saying about him it was things like he's "a proven franchise-builder".

Pat Gillick: " Kevin is an outstanding baseball man and I have enjoyed the relationship that we have developed during our time in Baltimore.". Orioles chief operation officer Joe Foss said Kevin Malone is the "The front runner" to replace Pat Gillick (whenever Gillick decides to stepped down).

Ken Rosenthal: "Kevin Malone should be the Orioles' next GM".]"..."(Malone's) an overqualified GM"..."Malone is not a puppet, can't be a puppet, will never be a puppet -I like that one!

I'm sure more accolades could uncovered if I looked hard enough. The bottom line is that back then, people really thought a lot of Malone at the time. Even after he resigned from the Dodgers, there were teams calling him.

History tells us just because a someone is very highly spoken of--a great baseball man and franchise builder; somehow, it has not always or necessarily translated to being a successful GM with the Dodgers and make them into a championship team.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/malone-named-dodgers-new-gm/

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1998-07-12/sports/1998193125_1_gillick-owner-peter-angelos-assistant-gm

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1998-09-12/news/1998255004_1_gillick-foss-assistant-general-manager
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Friedman took a team with the second lowest payroll in baseball to the world series. From 2008-2013, the Rays have the second most wins in baseball. Something Malone could never claim. I'm not denying nice things weren't said about Malone at some point. He just never had Friedman's resume. Also Gillick was Malone's boss. Of course he's going to say nice things about him. Do you know how many nice things Kasten said about Ned? Depo was never the man. He was always deputy to Billy Beane.

Friedman actually is a proven franchise builder. He built the Rays. Anyone who said that about Malone was just blowing smoke. He didn't do much with any team he was in charge of.

Last edited by Vishnu on Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
kcxiv wrote:
Worst possible thing happened. How embarrassing. Dodgers went into the postseason fairly hot hitting was on track, completely stalled in the postseason. Giants completely (bleep) their pants at the end of the season and is now in the world series. lol One team steps up big when they had too and the other team with into the fetal position

Hitting was good enough to move on. It was Kershaw choking, and the bullpen/bullpen decisions (Mattingly) that lost that series for0us.
hitting in the first game was good enough to move on, hittings in games 2-3-4 were not. we scoared 3 runs 1 run and 2 runs. How is that good enough? in what world is averaging 2 runs per game in 3 games in a row good enough? The only time we won is when we scored 3 runs. This is MLB, other teams are going to score as well.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Interesting pick as GM if true. Not sure what to make of it. I didn't even know there was a connection between Byrnes and Friedman.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/17/josh-byrnes-is-likely-to-be-the-dodgers-gm/
lalakeshow88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
It's also unclear whether Friedman will retain longtime Dodgers scouting director Logan White, who is well-respected within the industry.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/11718304/los-angeles-dodgers-talked-josh-byrnes-gm-job

Wait what?
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Interesting pick as GM if true. Not sure what to make of it. I didn't even know there was a connection between Byrnes and Friedman.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/17/josh-byrnes-is-likely-to-be-the-dodgers-gm/

Ew. Just ew.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject:

Let's go Los Gigantes!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Kobewood
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject:

Andrew Friedman = Masai Ujiri

I'm not surprised that the cynics are already questioning this hire and his rumored first moves. How about you let the man do his job? Also, just because he now works in a big market with the convenience of financial flexibility doesn't mean he's going to start spending aggressively all of a sudden like some star NBA player would after receiving his first big contract. His personal philosophies and judgments will stay the same. He's here to change the culture, not adapt to it.

Thank you Kobe for giving 20 years of yourself to the Purple and Gold. We are forever indebted to your greatness.

#WIN4VIN
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject:

Just get plastered and imagine the Royal blue is Dodger blue.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
Just get plastered and imagine the Royal blue is Dodger blue.

I am rooting for the Royals of course, but my guess is the Giants work them over pretty easily...way more experience, better manager and went through better teams to get to the World Series.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Let's go Los Gigantes!

Something no woman will ever say to you.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject:

Sportscenter wrote:
BREAKING: Tampa Bay Rays manager Joe Maddon has exercised an opt-out clause in his contract and is leaving the team immediately. (via ESPN's Buster Olney)
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject:

If the Dodgers don't can Mattingly and hire Maddon it will be one of the worst decisions the franchise has ever made.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
If the Dodgers don't can Mattingly and hire Maddon it will be one of the worst decisions the franchise has ever made.

agreed, but again, it makes too much sense so it won't happen. we've seen many of those cases as well. trying to do an anti-jinx here
ssiknick833
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:

As long as we can Mattingly, i'll be happy.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject:

C'mon guys. How is he not coming to LA? Why would he opt out? Is Cashman secretly hiring him? Is Bochy going to retire at the end of the year? I would be shocked it Maddon isn't the Dodgers manager opening day after what just happened.

The old adage, GM wants his own guy. Well, Friedman is not GM by name but he is in charge and there isnt anyone more than Maddon when it comes to his guy.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject:

ssiknick833 wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

Same. Knowing the Dodgers, they don't even have to can him, just promote him upstairs and have him behind a desk.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject:

Wow... Friedman getting $7 million per year to run the Dodgers baseball operations.

And Joe Maddon opts out of his deal.

Still a lot of unsettled questions in management. Amazing that the Dodgers can steal the giants' headlines with these off-season moves before the World Series is even over. Even sweeter if the Royals win it all.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject:

ssiknick833 wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

Agreed. But, to get Maddon would be sweet.

Kiss my Converse.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Kobewood wrote:
Quote:
Bill Shaikin ‏@BillShaikin

Source: Friedman's plan for now is to move forward with Mattingly as manager in 2015. #Dodgers

why? it's the perfect timing to make manager change, can we give Rays some draft picks for Joe Madden already.

I think that is the opposite direction that Friedman and the Dodgers want to go. They are right in wanting to develop their farm system, only it will take time. Wasting picks is something they did from the 90's to now. It will take a few years to get that pipeline going, but building through the farm and bringing in missing pieces is the way to go, and I think that is the goal of this ownership group.

our stars are nearing the end of their prime, AGon, Kemp, Ramirez (if he stays) are all 30 and over, and we are this close to smell the world series, so why pause now to improve our farm system? we should get the right manager in asap and try to make another run or two before these guys pass their prime.

Do you want years of competing or a year of competing?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 308, 309, 310, 311, 312  Next
Page 309 of 312
Jump to: