Pincus: Byron wants to shoot less 3s
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DSF_27
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
FreakofNature wrote:
MJST wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
Injuries, youth, lineups whatever- all excuses. That was Utah, the worst team in the west.

No, it's reality. Clippers have gone life or death with the Jazz twice with Exum lighting them up on both occasions this pre-season with a full roster.

But the Clips did beat them once,and the other game was a nail biter. Big difference from the lakers whom are already a suspect team. And the 33 point loss is far and away a major difference from the Clips games. But you then look at the game just before this, the 41 point loss, and you just cannot overlook this.... minus -74 points in 2 games?

It's already been covered that the 2nd warriors game and loss was a product of Byron intentionally running guys before the game so they'd have tired legs so he'd force them to have to play through it. It was by design.

The game against the Jazz, the Lakers had a close first quarter. Their 3rd string unit got decimated in the 2nd quarter, the Lakers starters vs the Jazz starters had the Lakers winning the 3rd quarter by 4 till Byron put the 3rd stringers back in and then we lost the 3rd quarter.

Then Byron played the 4th quarter starting the 3rd and 4th stringers who stunk up the place so Byron said 'screw them' and started filing in starters one by one and Utah started doing the same. Then the Lakers starters mix pretty much went even with the Jazz starters mix till Byron and Snyder both put their last strings in, in which case the Lakers 3rd string still did nothing.

So like I said, there's nothing you can take from these games other than the fact that the starting unit is starting to get the offense more despite having 3 different starting lineups in 4 games, and that the 3rd stringers are garbage. That's literally all you can take from that Jazz game.

The Lakers starters vs the Jazz starters looked like this

[b]Starters:

Lakers 68
Jazz 56
[/b]
The Lakers 3rd stringers vs the Jazz bench looked like this
Lakers 18
Jazz 63

Remove Davis and Randle from the bench points and it looks like this instead
Lakers 10
Jazz 63

Remove Exum from the bench points of the Jazz and it still looks like this
Lakers 10
Jazz 50

It's VERY obvious where the problem was. It lays with the fact our 3rd stringers have played like garbage and that is where the problems started and began and the fact that we don't have Young, Kelly, Xavier, Nash, Clarkson right now. That's 5 players that fill our bench. To overlook that in the face of such obvious evidence is silly.

So not overlooking that before panicking would likely do wonders.

Not true

Thats simply how many points each teams respective starters scored. But the Lakers starters were all well in the negatives on plus/minus (even Kobe) while all of the Jazz starters were in the positive.

The Jazz outscored the Lakers in every single quarter. Blaming a loss like that on the bench is a bit flawed.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject:

It does illustrate the injuries. It shows the lack of a decent of in the starting unit, and the lack of actual quality players with the bench unit. And it shows that if LA had their bench and could play the majority of minutes starter vs starter and actual second string vs second string instead of having a third stringer starting and camp fodder off the bench, things are wildly different.
cheesysapien
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject:

A good and funny post on Byron's philosophy on 3 https://medium.com/the-cauldron/dying-by-the-two-a3c99f44c543
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject:

There is a balance between shooting enough threes and slowing down the pace of the game to maximize Kobe's effectiveness. Scott is leaning on the latter. I don't blame him. Who is playing on our team right now who is a legit 3 pt threat. Kobe? Lin? Ellington? I don't want those guys each taking 8 threes a game so we shoot over 20 threes a game and LG is happy (relative to now).
Of course when swaggy, Kelly, and X return we will shoot more 3's. But 20+ threes a game seem imprudent with who is currently active on this roster.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
There is a balance between shooting enough threes and slowing down the pace of the game to maximize Kobe's effectiveness. Scott is leaning on the latter. I don't blame him. Who is playing on our team right now who is a legit 3 pt threat. Kobe? Lin? Ellington? I don't want those guys each taking 8 threes a game so we shoot over 20 threes a game and LG is happy (relative to now).
Of course when swaggy, Kelly, and X return we will shoot more 3's. But 20+ threes a game seem imprudent with who is currently active on this roster.

It's not the number of threes so much as the 40+ long 2 ptrs the team is taking, many with their foot on their line. Most coaches would blow a gasket over that, rather than making it their calling card.
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject:

cheesysapien wrote:
A good and funny post on Byron's philosophy on 3 https://medium.com/the-cauldron/dying-by-the-two-a3c99f44c543

I still don't get who on this current roster is going to shoot all the 3's everybody wants us to take?

Nick Young can hit them, but he's super-streaky.
Ellington can shoot.
Kelly can shoot.
Nash can no longer be relied upon.
Is Lin a legit 3-point shooter? Will he keep the weak-side D occupied?
Should Kobe be in the post, or out shooting 3's?
Can't count on Clarkson yet.
Price?
Wes?
X?
Randle?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject:

B_P wrote:
cheesysapien wrote:

I still don't get who on this current roster is going to shoot all the 3's everybody wants us to take?

Ellington can shoot.
Kelly can shoot.
Price?
Wes?
X?
Randle?

Nash, when he was out there. Byron should fine him if he's ever underneath the line. It's not like he's out there to orchestrate an offense anymore or anything. Kobe's bringing the ball up half the time.

Wes is actually a decent 3-point shooter when there's spacing and ball movement, which is another natural problem of the Kobe offense.

Last edited by greenfrog on Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject:

B_P wrote:
cheesysapien wrote:

Ellington can shoot.
Kelly can shoot.
Price?
Wes?
X?
Randle?

Like I said, they took like over 40 long 2s. Some were Boozer and Sacre, but a fair share were Kobe, Wes, Price, Ellington, etc. One step back and their percentages wouldn't drop too much but their efficiency would get a lot better.

Opposing defenses want you to take those long 2s, so if you aren't going to threaten with threes, they'll happy jam the paint so that no one can drive or roll to the basket, and then you end up with disasterous offensive efficiency like we saw these last few games.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject:

B_P wrote:
cheesysapien wrote:

Ellington can shoot.
Kelly can shoot.
Price?
Wes?
X?
Randle?

All the 3s?

Are you advocating that we take zero 3s each game???
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
It does illustrate the injuries. It shows the lack of a decent of in the starting unit, and the lack of actual quality players with the bench unit. And it shows that if LA had their bench and could play the majority of minutes starter vs starter and actual second string vs second string instead of having a third stringer starting and camp fodder off the bench, things are wildly different.

This
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject:

I actually wouldn't mind Randle trying some 3's. He'd probably hit them at about the same percentage as his "midrange" shots (actually college 3's are closer to what he's taking).
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
24 wrote:

This

The Lakers starters played more minutes than the Jazz starters (also meaning that they played more against the second string). So adding up points in this fashion is less meaningful than the +/- numbers, which showed all five man units in the negative.
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
B_P wrote:
cheesysapien wrote:

Ellington can shoot.
Kelly can shoot.
Price?
Wes?
X?
Randle?

All the 3s?

Not at all.

Clearly, people want this team to shoot more 3's - at least, more than we've been taking.

My point is that we just don't have the shooters to space the floor. If we had the shooting talent, then sure, fire away! In today's game, if you have the killer shooters, then shooting 3's is the high % play. But I don't see that level of shooting talent on this current roster.

Sure, he'll hit a few here and there, but what defenses care if Wes is open for 3?
Or Price? Or X? Or Lin?

As a team, even if they took more 3's, are opposing teams really that concerned about our shooters? If I'm an opposing coach, I'd be totally fine letting our shooters shoot 3's all game long. Until proven otherwise, the only shooters I'd be a little concerned about is Young, Ellington and Kelly. And, even if they get hot, none of those guys going off are going to cost me a game.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject:

B_P wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
B_P wrote:
cheesysapien wrote:

Ellington can shoot.
Kelly can shoot.
Price?
Wes?
X?
Randle?

All the 3s?

Not at all.

Clearly, people want this team to shoot more 3's - at least, more than we've been taking.

My point is that we just don't have the shooters to space the floor. If we had the shooting talent, then sure, fire away! In today's game, if you have the killer shooters, then shooting 3's is the high % play. But I don't see that level of shooting talent on this current roster.

Sure, he'll hit a few here and there, but what defenses care if Wes is open for 3?
Or Price? Or X? Or Lin?

As a team, even if they took more 3's, are opposing teams really that concerned about our shooters? If I'm an opposing coach, I'd be totally fine letting our shooters shoot 3's all game long. Until proven otherwise, the only shooters I'd be a little concerned about is Young, Ellington and Kelly. And, even if they get hot, none of those guys going off are going to cost me a game.

http://bballbreakdown.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/10726386_10152380271112927_1881240771_n.jpg

They hit 33% of the 36 long 2s that they shot. All those guys can shoot that from 3.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
MJST wrote:
24 wrote:

This

The Lakers starters played more minutes than the Jazz starters (also meaning that they played more against the second string). So adding up points in this fashion is less meaningful than the +/- numbers, which showed all five man units in the negative.

Wrong once more in the theory of the logic you're trying to present.

Starters also played with the scrub/third string, when Wes or Price was out there with the third string, and as Wes and Price count as 'starters' that matters as well, but neither Wes nor Price will move the needle with the third string, I think this is evident, they don't have the impact of a Boozer or Kobe. Sometimes even ran it with Wayne Ellington in some of the units Wes was in. Thats why Wes' minutes numbers were high(at 30).

Kobe and Boozer both played 27 minutes. Same as Hood and Gordon Hayward as their minutes 'addition' was only because Scott started slowly switching out the bad third string for the starters in the 3rd, starting with Kobe and Boozer, with which Snyder put in Hayward and Hood. Which is why I called that unit in the 4th a "mix". Till Scott also pulled Ellington for Wes, and eventually put Hill in for a small dosage. That unit played pretty much even with Hayward, Hood etc.

The benefit is it isn't just 'looking at the minutes played' it's actually having watched the game and seeing what units were out there which is why I covered the mixture of players in the 4th quarter and that Snyder put in some of his starters against the Lakers starters which were Kobe and Boozer at the time to match the substitution.

It's not like hayward has 23 minutes and Kobe has 27, they both have 27 cause they both played together in the 4th with the 3rd string/starters mix.

And as I said, that unit played pretty much even basketball and was trading baskets, pretty much giving the crowd their money's worth to see Kobe etc.

But after some of that just to get Kobe's minutes to 27 he sat him down with Boozer etc and threw the third string back out there. I don't think they scored but one basket off Roscoe Smith during that time, maybe 2. But that's it.

So once more like I said,

1st quarter 20-25 starters v starters,
2nd quarter 3rd string destroyed by Utah's bench
3rd quarter Lakers outplay the Jazz till Scott puts the third string back in and third string loses the quarter.
4th quarter, third string sucks some more, Byron has enough and puts Kobe and Boozer in, Snyder puts Hayward and Hood in, both teams slowly switch out second/third string and starters for a few minutes, they play on even terms, Scott sits his starters, Snyder sits his starters, Lakers 3rd string still sucks.

That's the game in a nutshell.

This is why Byron said after the game that the starters did fine and the game truly got away and lost its rhythm when he brought the bench in, which is why he tore into them after the game.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
MJST wrote:
24 wrote:

This

Starters also played with the scrub/third string, when Wes or Price was out there with the third string, and as Wes and Price count as 'starters' that matters as well, but neither Wes nor Price will move the needle with the third string, I think this is evident, they don't have the impact of a Boozer or Kobe. Sometimes even ran it with Wayne Ellington in some of the units Wes was in. Thats why Wes' minutes numbers were high(at 30).

Kobe and Boozer both played 27 minutes. Same as Hood and Gordon Hayward as their minutes 'addition' was only because Scott started slowly switching out the bad third string for the starters in the 3rd, starting with Kobe and Boozer, with which Snyder put in Hayward and Hood. Which is why I called that unit in the 4th a "mix". Till Scott also pulled Ellington for Wes, and eventually put Hill in for a small dosage. That unit played pretty much even with Hayward, Hood etc.

The benefit is it isn't just 'looking at the minutes played' it's actually having watched the game and seeing what units were out there which is why I covered the mixture of players in the 4th quarter and that Snyder put in some of his starters against the Lakers starters which were Kobe and Boozer at the time to match the substitution.

It's not like hayward has 23 minutes and Kobe has 27, they both have 27 cause they both played together in the 4th with the 3rd string/starters mix.

And as I said, that unit played pretty much even basketball and was trading baskets, pretty much giving the crowd their money's worth to see Kobe etc.

But after some of that just to get Kobe's minutes to 27 he sat him down with Boozer etc and threw the third string back out there. I don't think they scored but one basket off Roscoe Smith during that time, maybe 2. But that's it.

3rd quarter Lakers outplay the Jazz till Scott puts the third string back in and third string loses the quarter.
4th quarter, third string sucks some more, Byron has enough and puts Kobe and Boozer in, Snyder puts Hayward and Hood in, both teams slowly switch out second/third string and starters for a few minutes, they play on even terms, Scott sits his starters, Snyder sits his starters, Lakers 3rd string still sucks.

This is why Byron said after the game that the starters did fine and the game truly got away and lost its rhythm when he brought the bench in, which is why he tore into them after the game.

Playing the worst team in the West even (for a quarter) with your starters is no definition of "doing fine". Neither is making no threes for the second game in the row.

I watched the game too. There were no silver linings from it other than Kobe looking a bit better. They showed no improvement on either end of the floor in execution from their previous blowout. Instead there was a glaring reminder that the coach has a offensive (and probably defensive) philosophy that's completely broken.

PS: And yes, adding up the number of points the starters scored and showing that it is greater than the number of points the opposing starters scored, as if that meant something, is misleading.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
MJST wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
MJST wrote:
24 wrote:

This

Playing the worst team in the West even (for a quarter) with your starters is no definition of "doing fine".

Then the Clippers must be in deep trouble because they've had a year together, have a full roster, have team chemistry, have no injuries, aren't playing their 3rd string. And went live or death with the Jazz twice.

So don't put more stock into it than need be whentThe truth is the lead was ballooned against our third string scrubs, otherwise it's likely a close game. It is what it is and that's all that it is.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Adding up starters points is a very inaccurate way of evaluating the game, especially since the Lakers starters played more minutes and a good chunk of those were in absolute garbage time in the end.

Every single Jazz player had a positive +/-. Every single Lakers player was in the negative. That's not a fluke, that was the Lakers getting outplayed all game no matter who was in. The bench was worse, but the starters were playing behind as well.

During the season, the Lakers starters actually need to build leads against the other teams starters since the Lakers starters are not going to be capable as playing the same amount of minutes (unless Scott is going to be like D'Antoni and run Kobe and Nash out there for 40+ minutes.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject:

+/- is a pretty bad barometer. Add Kobe to a lineup of Appling, Tyler, Ellington (which he did play with in the 4th) and his +/- is gonna be effected even if he's the most effective guy on the court.

That's why it's a bad barometer and you don't understand it unless you watch the game.

We lost the 1st quarter by 5, our 3rd string got destroyed in the 2nd quarter. We were winning the 3rd quarter(despite the +/-) and then the 3rd string came in and lost it. Then Boozer and Kobe at one point in the 4th shared minutes with the scrubs that were messing up everything and THAT is going to effect your +/-, and eventually Byron put in Wes and Hill for a small moment before sitting them all. +/- doesn't tell you that.

If you played 2 on 2 with LeBron on your team and he was doing all the work and you were sucking and he switched you out with a substitute whom also did terrible then you would be a -4, your friend would be a -5 and LeBron would be a -11. That doesn't mean he was the least effective person in the game. That's why +/- is a bad barometer.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject:

B_P wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
B_P wrote:
cheesysapien wrote:

Ellington can shoot.
Kelly can shoot.
Price?
Wes?
X?
Randle?

All the 3s?

Not at all.

Or Price? Or X? Or Lin?

People just want the team to be taking enough 3s to keep the defense honest.

Not sure why it can only be "all the 3s" or 3 attempts. There's a middle ground and that's all people are saying.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
+/- is a pretty bad barometer. Add Kobe to a lineup of Appling, Tyler, Ellington (which he did play with in the 4th) and his +/- is gonna be effected even if he's the most effective guy on the court.

That's why it's a bad barometer and you don't understand it unless you watch the game.

We lost the 1st quarter by 5, our 3rd string got destroyed in the 2nd quarter. We were winning the 3rd quarter(despite the +/-) and then the 3rd string came in and lost it. Then Boozer and Kobe at one point in the 4th shared minutes with the scrubs that were messing up everything and THAT is going to effect your +/-, and eventually Byron put in Wes and Hill for a small moment before sitting them all. +/- doesn't tell you that.

If you played 2 on 2 with LeBron on your team and he was doing all the work and you were sucking and he switched you out with a substitute whom also did terrible then you would be a -4, your friend would be a -5 and LeBron would be a -11. That doesn't mean he was the least effective person in the game. That's why +/- is a bad barometer.

+/- isn't a tell all stat. No one is going to insist that it is. I think it's way more reliable than adding up starters points, however.

I had to check the play by play for the 3rd quarter and they were up 19-18 when Kobe went out. I guess they were technically "winning", but isn't this just grasping for straws?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject:

I try to look more at who is getting the offense cause I know the game is gonna be crap once the third string comes in.

The fact we've had 3 different starting lineups in 4 games there is no mistake that the only true chemistry built has been between Kobe and Boozer(this is also the case at practice today as those two seem to really be getting a fill for each other).

But what hurts our starting lineup the most is that Price, for all his defense and mid range magic, cannot pass the ball to save his life, and doesn't penetrate to the basket nearly as much. it's like Fisher when he could play defense but if you took away his three point shot X_X That pretty much locks up Wes' offense to just threes as he can't rim run, and Kobe isn't gonna shoot threes, neither is Boozer, or Hill or Price. So its a conundrum as we walk into games with that disadvantage. So we have to look at what we do defensively as our offense isn't truly gonna come around till Lin or Nash comes back.

So holding Utah to 25 in the first and 18 in the 3rd are all good things as far as what defensive principles Scott wants to teach.

So you have to see what to critique and what can't be helped. The offense can't truly be helped till we get an actual point guard back like Lin or Nash as well as floor spacers.

The defense, our starters, did some good things. BUT the critique is that they need to yell out screens more and communicate better and box out consistently on defensive and offensive rebounding.

Those are the critiques you can truly take from the game. Other than that the third string really tells us nothing, and we're never gonna see our offense as Byron intends it as long as Price is the guy running it.

So we gotta critique what's actually there to be critiqued instead of things that would be irrelevant once guys got back.

After learning that X is going to Germany and that Kelly is the only one that may return for Sunday it means we're likely gonna see more Ellington..again..

What I want at least before pre-season ends is for everyone to remain healthy from here on and getting Clarkson and Lin back. that could at least help us with some spacing issues and dribble penetration(from Lin) to open the perimeter. Cause right now our offense is handcuffed to our personnel or lack thereof and there's not much we can do about it.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject:

I've got a newsflash for you. Price and Ellington probably are going to get significant minutes as rotation players this season, unless we have a ton of luck with health. They definitely aren't here to be camp fodder.

No one was ever really arguing that the Lakers would be bad based on the boxscore of one game, which is kind of the strawman that you're setting up. It's the progression of the entire preseason that is sending red flags up everywhere.

1st blowout excuse: didn't play hard enough
2nd blowout excuse: our team is new while the Warriors are awesome
3rd blowout excuse: didn't play hard enough

All the while doubling down on a dated offensive scheme, that even the casual nba fans know is wrong. (Long twos are the worst shot in basketball). Not to mention that a team that focuses 80% on defense with a supposed defensive specialist coach can't defend anyone at all, and looked disturbingly like Byron's Cavs who never improved on that end.

That is what has people in a panic. If you want to argue that the Lakers aren't going to get blown out by 30 by every team in the league, fine. But don't try to parse numbers to excuse something that's clearly not working so far.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Page 16 of 16
Jump to: