Future Franchise Savior?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject:

LeBronte Jest wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Going to be hard for Randle to put up 14/7 when it looks like Scott will have him glued to the bench for Boozer

We need Boozer to "protect" Randle though.

Sorry VLF, had to.

The idea that a player can develop coming off the bench is like speaking a foreign language here, most can't comprehend. Despite our current star player developing that way. It seems that if a player isn't starting, posters here think he will never play.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Future Franchise Savior?

kinein wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
As we all know, you have to have superstars to win in the NBA.

False. Are the spurs considered a Superstar team? Did Tim Duncan play all 82 regular season games last season and post record-breaking numbers last season?

The premise is flawed and misleads the reader into adopting aforementioned stance.

Is Kawhi Leonard a Superstar.

Tony Parker is
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Future Franchise Savior?

24 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

Don't forget the super-important veteran acquisitions we made with Kareem and Shaq, though. We DO need key free agents in addition to developing a new, franchise-leading young talent.

I agree, but first you need to draft a superstar to build it all around. I don't think you can just piece together a championship team with all free agents under this current CBA, you have to hit on a superstar in the draft.

The Lakers got hosed badly by the NBA in the Chris Paul fiasco. They have to now stick it to the NBA and the rest of the league by rigging the game in their favor by getting in Thon's ear and telling him to demand to be a Laker and that he will not lose any money by doing so, in fact he will ultimately gain money by doing so by playing for the premier organization in the NBA.

Aside from being illegal, how do you actually make that work?

Vito Corleone
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Future Franchise Savior?

Wilkes52 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

The guy we need to get in my opinion is this freak of nature Thon Maker.

He could potentially be another Kevin Durant or even better. I think absolute worst case he ends up being a better overall player than Kevin Garnett....

I stopped reading there because now we're into fiction writing. I've seen too many past examples of these types of predictions (of a "can't miss HoF pro career") for a high school star who fizzled out far, far, far short. Let's just say Maker looks promising now and we'll wait for the results to start happening for him in college.

This reminds me of those who said the same thing about the hype machine surrounding LBJ. Thon is the real deal. He will be great
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Future Franchise Savior?

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

He could potentially be another Kevin Durant or even better. I think absolute worst case he ends up being a better overall player than Kevin Garnett....

I stopped reading there because now we're into fiction writing. I've seen too many past examples of these types of predictions (of a "can't miss HoF pro career") for a high school star who fizzled out far, far, far short. Let's just say Maker looks promising now and we'll wait for the results to start happening for him in college.

This reminds me of those who said the same thing about the hype machine surrounding LBJ. Thon is the real deal. He will be great

Couldn't agree more. An unike 7 footers like Embiid, Ogden, Bynum, etc. he looks like a much more durable player. His low body fat percentage takes a lot of stress away from his back and legs (which often lead to big man injury).
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Future Franchise Savior?

Wilkes52 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Of course, I didn't say that about LeBron. I'll lump you into the vat of folks who misuse language and misunderstand simple set theory. Every year there's a great player or two coming into the league, and Maker may become one of them. But that's a far different thing than saying he comes in having no chance of not living up to Kevin Garnett's career. The odds are against him.
DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject:

hard for me to buy in on a guy who at best might be here in 3 years. Thon looks very good but what happens in the meanwhile. What i do know is that Exum was basically ours. And Karl Towns is quite attainable with a little Those would be my building blocks. come 2017 we can see where we are. rebuilding shouldn't be done half-effort to mirror the character of the Lakers president of basketball operations.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Julius Randle will be a cornerstone for this franchise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Cancun Van Exel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Future Franchise Savior?

kinein wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

False. Are the spurs considered a Superstar team? Did Tim Duncan play all 82 regular season games last season and post record-breaking numbers last season?

The premise is flawed and misleads the reader into adopting aforementioned stance.

OP should've said you need a superstar to win most of the time. SAS are the exception and one could argue that their coach is a superstar.
Cancun Van Exel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Future Franchise Savior?

venturalakersfan wrote:
kinein wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Tony Parker is

He was pretty bad in the finals last year.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Future Franchise Savior?

Cancun Van Exel wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kinein wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Tony Parker is

It's called being injured.
Cancun Van Exel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Future Franchise Savior?

USCandLakers wrote:
Cancun Van Exel wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kinein wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Tony Parker is

It's called being injured.

But they won anyway despite his poor play, whatever the reason.
LeBronte Jest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LeBronte Jest wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Going to be hard for Randle to put up 14/7 when it looks like Scott will have him glued to the bench for Boozer

Sorry VLF, had to.

The idea that a player can develop coming off the bench is like speaking a foreign language here, most can't comprehend. Despite our current star player developing that way. It seems that if a player isn't starting, posters here think he will never play.

I can comprehend it just fine. Fact is that we still have Ryan Kelly that needs minutes to develop, and Ed Davis who took a substantial pay cut to play (and hopefully stay) here. Boozer won't be here next year. You do realize that, right?

Besides, I'd rather have Ed Davis starting instead of Randle, so there goes your whole theory about us not speaking this language you seem to think you're the only one fluent in. My god, get over yourself, lol.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Sad to say that I think the only franchise savior at this point would be a Phil Jackson-like figure, if not Phil Jackson himself.
Get over it. Phil isn't coming and he isn't the ONLY solution.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject:

I don't mind Randle off the bench, especially his rookie year, eventually he will be a starter. As long as he gets minutes and learns the game.
DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
Sad to say that I think the only franchise savior at this point would be a Phil Jackson-like figure, if not Phil Jackson himself.

in fairness "phil-like" implies someone other than Phil, hence not the only solution.

The message is an important one. In order to move forward with impact, there needs to be a face of the culture whatever it may be - Jerry West, Popovich, Mark Cuban. Franchise heads who know exactly what formulas work (vision) and how to go about it (charisma.) What Jim Buss may have a vision but he has no charisma to be a closer.

And it's okay to start with ground zero, except Outside of Phil there weren't that many culture building executives available.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Future Franchise Savior?

kikanga wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Couldn't agree more. An unike 7 footers like Embiid, Ogden, Bynum, etc. he looks like a much more durable player. His low body fat percentage takes a lot of stress away from his back and legs (which often lead to big man injury).

I remember back in 2005, everyone was talking up this high school phenom named Greg Oden.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject:

LeBronte Jest wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LeBronte Jest wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Sorry VLF, had to.

I can comprehend it just fine. Fact is that we still have Ryan Kelly that needs minutes to develop, and Ed Davis who took a substantial pay cut to play (and hopefully stay) here. Boozer won't be here next year. You do realize that, right?

Besides, I'd rather have Ed Davis starting instead of Randle, so there goes your whole theory about us not speaking this language you seem to think you're the only one fluent in. My god, get over yourself, lol.

Davis plays center, Randle and Boozer do not.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject:

DimesnD wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

in fairness "phil-like" implies someone other than Phil, hence not the only solution.

The message is an important one. In order to move forward with impact, there needs to be a face of the culture whatever it may be - Jerry West, Popovich, Mark Cuban. Franchise heads who know exactly what formulas work (vision) and how to go about it (charisma.) What Jim Buss may have a vision but he has no charisma to be a closer.

And it's okay to start with ground zero, except Outside of Phil there weren't that many culture building executives available.

We do have Mitch and he has been pretty good at developing a plan and implementing it.
LeBronte Jest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LeBronte Jest wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LeBronte Jest wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Sorry VLF, had to.

Davis plays center, Randle and Boozer do not.

Actually, they're all PF's, but yes - Davis can play the 5. If you've been following along, I've also said that we should've picked up a real center and that Boozer was redundant. Are we all caught up yet?
Cancun Van Exel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject:

What we need is for Mitch to be promoted to Pres. of Basketball Operations and run the show with a solid GM. (read: no more Jim Buss)
jenopogi
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
24 wrote:
It is illegal for the Lakers to tamper with him, and the CBA ensures that if he doesn't report to the team that drafts him, he doesn't play.

For the Lakers official personnel, yes....for "informal representatives" then it is more of a grey area.

Yes, he would likely have to hardball if a team didn't respect his wishes and drafted him....if he sat out a full season and drew a hard line, at some point they would have to capitulate most likely.

I am not saying it would be easy or pretty, but if the Lakers continue to just bend over and not fight back the way they did on the Chris Paul screw job, they are destined to fail for a long long time. Right now they are absolutely terrible with no hope in the next few years either.

may not be a good comparison, but look at royce white.
JL#7 in Purple and Gold. Shoutout to my Lakers4Life Buddy Ian M.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject:

MDA is better than Scott already in one aspect: MDA will never cater into Kobe. seems like Scott is listening to Kobe by give big PT to veterans and stick your prized rookie on the bench.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
MDA is better than Scott already in one aspect: MDA will never cater into Kobe. seems like Scott is listening to Kobe by give big PT to veterans and stick your prized rookie on the bench.

MDA will never cater to Kobe?
Uhm, tell us again - what planet are you from?
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Future Franchise Savior?

Wilkes52 wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Of course, I didn't say that about LeBron. I'll lump you into the vat of folks who misuse language and misunderstand simple set theory. Every year there's a great player or two coming into the league, and Maker may become one of them. But that's a far different thing than saying he comes in having no chance of not living up to Kevin Garnett's career. The odds are against him.

My dump will trump your lump.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: