Wesley Johnson has no game
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Wes was big last night during that 3rd quarter rally;

R. Price was the sparkplug but Wes contributed mightily on both ends of the court.

Didn't catch the game. But was the rally after Jazz pulled their big names like Hayward/Favors out of the game and we kept our starters in?

It's not like our starters are our starters.

So what does this all mean?

Price is our third string pg. We had more guys out than they did.

A Rookie against a 9-yr vet known for his defense, yeah it looked like it. I don't know how well he would do against trey burke who looks much better from last season.

I'll take any win though.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject:

should have reached out to ariza before Johnson
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

Why would you want to pay Ariza 8 million per year?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

He's a bit of a retread. I'd like to have had Bazemore instead personally.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject:

Saying Johnson has no game is like saying Los Angeles is a big city.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject:

On a good team, Wes is probably the 3rd SF on the bench. We are just devoid of talent at the SF spot so he has to start.
DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
On a good team, Wes is probably the 3rd SF on the bench. We are just devoid of talent at the SF spot so he has to start.

just to name 2.

In OKC he would be competing against Lance Thomas (careeer 3 ppg avg.) and Andre Robertson.

In SA Wes would be in the mix with rookie Kyle anderson and shooter Austin Daye. Knowing what Pop preaches and who he had in the past. Wes is easily the 2nd string.

Wes might not be a 35 mpg starter but he's a valuable piece for many teams. Definitely not 3rd string.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject:

DimesnD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

just to name 2.

In OKC he would be competing against Lance Thomas (careeer 3 ppg avg.) and Andre Robertson.

In SA Wes would be in the mix with rookie Kyle anderson and shooter Austin Daye. Knowing what Pop preaches and who he had in the past. Wes is easily the 2nd string.

Wes might not be a 35 mpg starter but he's a valuable piece for many teams. Definitely not 3rd string.

Except he's been given many opportunities. First as a ballyhooed top pick. Then they let him play more as a backup. Then he was signed on a minimum deal with the Lakers where he didn't exactly flourish. Maybe 3rd string is an exaggeration, but def not a 6th man level player on a good team. He could be the backup, but on OKC, he'd be playing 12-15 mpg, and behind Kahwai, he'd be playing around the same.
DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject:

6th man on most teams are traditionally offensive players. Wes is definitely not a scorer. Without a doubt Wes would be in any contender's 8/9-man rotation.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject:

DimesnD wrote:
6th man on most teams are traditionally offensive players. Wes is definitely not a scorer. Without a doubt Wes would be in any contender's 8/9-man rotation.

We do agree he's not a starting SF, even on a poor team. But we have no other options. I do hope he can really hone a 3 and D game. Except it appears he's not allowed to shoot 3s.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject:

People need to stop judging Wes by his offense. He's here for defense, offense is a bonus and his offensive game is two things, rim runs and 3 pointers. He needs a competent point guard that can pass to set up 3/4ths of that.

He's here for his defense and his ability to run the open floor which you saw last game he can do in spades, particularly after a defensive stop.

Other than the turnaround jumper in the post which he obviously got from Kobe don't expect much more in terms of offense from Wes, it's not his role nor his speciality. Defensively he was one of the only players in the league to average a steal and a block last season and shot 37% from the arc. He does precisely what his role is, he only needs to improve that.

Last game vs the Jazz you got to see what Wes can do offensively because he got in the open court and Price and Kobe threw him solid passes. That's who he is. Expecting more offensively is setting yourself up for disappointment.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
People need to stop judging Wes by his offense. He's here for defense, offense is a bonus and his offensive game is two things, rim runs and 3 pointers. He needs a competent point guard that can pass to set up 3/4ths of that.

He's here for his defense and his ability to run the open floor which you saw last game he can do in spades, particularly after a defensive stop.

Other than the turnaround jumper in the post which he obviously got from Kobe don't expect much more in terms of offense from Wes, it's not his role nor his speciality. Defensively he was one of the only players in the league to average a steal and a block last season and shot 37% from the arc. He does precisely what his role is, he only needs to improve that.

Last game vs the Jazz you got to see what Wes can do offensively because he got in the open court and Price and Kobe threw him solid passes. That's who he is. Expecting more offensively is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Which is why he's a perfect 3 and D candidate. It's when he ventures off of that he runs into trouble (i.e. shaky handles, iffy mid-range game, but decent 3 point %).
DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject:

if people want a starting 3, pay 8+ mil or draft someone with that high pick then wait a few years. Wes is a value at 1 mil. Go with it. He may surprise you all and be more consistent with what he has to do.

Meeks lost his confidence in Philly and it took him a year + in LA before he excelled (8 pts to 16 ppg jump) Wes is in year 2 of the experiment on his 2nd coach. The last one misused him. Like I said earlier, he doesn't get it this year, the best money will have to come overseas. It's up to him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject:

DimesnD wrote:
if people want a starting 3, pay 8+ mil or draft someone with that high pick then wait a few years. Wes is a value at 1 mil. Go with it. He may surprise you all and be more consistent with what he has to do.

Meeks lost his confidence in Philly and it took him a year + in LA before he excelled (8 pts to 16 ppg jump) Wes is in year 2 of the experiment on his 2nd coach. The last one misused him. Like I said earlier, he doesn't get it this year, the best money will have to come overseas. It's up to him.

Well, I don't think Wes has that confidence that Meeks had in himself. Just different personalities. You can see that Wes lacks confidence as someone who was drafted in the top 10 (Meeks was taken way lower than that). I do hope the best for Wes. Seems like a nice kid.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject:

Wish we kept Matt Barnes instead of being stuck with Wes at the 3. Actually I wish we kept Earl Clark, Chris Douglas-Roberts, or Gerald Green as well.

None of those guys were/are studs. But I consider them upgrades compared to Wes.

It's why I wanted the lakers to trade down in this years draft for more picks like Lavine and Hood. But oh well.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject:

People forget in Wes last year in phoenix when the coach finally decided to use him near the close of the season he played extremely well. So well in fact that many fans assumed he'd be re-signed to be the starter, but he chose the Lakers so the Suns pretty much went and got Gerald Green and depended on the Morris' developments.

When Wes started here he played exceedingly well and built great chemistry with Blake who was a solid passing point guard. Then we lost our point guards and Wes sort of lost himself, and could build no chemistry with Farmar who isn't much of a passer or guy that will get his teammates involved. Then we eventually got Marshall. It took time for them to get chemistry but Marshall and Wes eventually found chemistry and Wes closed the season strong again.

A lot has to do with who he's on the floor with and if they can take advantage of Wes's strengths. Anything else and wes would be stepping outside of what he's good at and forcing his game and would look bad.

If Gerald Green didn't have Dragic in Phoenix does anyone think he'd have looked as good as he did? And all he did was what, 3 pointers and rim run.

Wes is a better defender, but the same kind of player in terms of his strengths. We just need the right players that can take advantage of it. Price had one solid passing game and it was Wes's best game since the first game(where Nash was his point guard) these things aren't coincidences.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Wish we kept Matt Barnes instead of being stuck with Wes at the 3. Actually I wish we kept Earl Clark, Chris Douglas-Roberts, or Gerald Green as well.

None of those guys were/are studs. But I consider them upgrades compared to Wes.

It's why I wanted the lakers to trade down in this years draft for more picks like Lavine and Hood. But oh well.

Earl Clark chased the money, and is now one more cut from being out of the league. CDR is a good scorer but not a defender. Gerald Green's game is virtually what Wes's is without the defense and it took Green a D-league stint and 3 additional teams after us before he got to phoenix where he could do what he does.

And the only world Wes Johnson gets you the picks for LaVine and Hood is in NBA 2K...
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Earl Clark chased the money, and is now one more cut from being out of the league. CDR is a good scorer but not a defender. Gerald Green's game is virtually what Wes's is without the defense and it took Green a D-league stint and 3 additional teams after us before he got to phoenix where he could do what he does.

And the only world Wes Johnson gets you the picks for LaVine and Hood is in NBA 2K...

Lol. If you think my list is crap, thats my point! And I'd still take all those guys over Wes.

Gerald Green looks better than Wes tonight.

I wanted to trade for more mid round draft picks (by using Randle's pick and Nash).
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Another turnover. No confidence. No skills.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject:

D LEAGUE TALENT, give me a different dleaguer already. him getting 30minutes a game will be the biggest joke EVARRRR
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Wes had 15 pts. 8 reb. 2 stl. and 3 blk....but that certainly doesn't tell the story. His 8 (out of the team's 19) turnovers and the 2 missed free throws at the end of regulation were costly. I could live with missed shots- even the missed free throws at the end- but the unforced, mind-numbing turnovers from Wesley is truly infuriating. These type of errors are completely fixable. But, Wes better get his (bleep) together because he's looking really dumb right now.

Kiss my Converse.
ishi331
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Cut Wes Johnson
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Awful.
Rawr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Funny how he was both good and awful tonight. Horrible turnovers and missed the two mos important freethrows of the game... but then also kept us in it with the 3's.

Oh well.
EddieJonesss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject:

ishi331 wrote:
Cut Wes Johnson
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 7 of 18
Jump to: