Boardwalk Empire
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject:

I recognized the name but didnt make the connection to him being in the earlier seasons.

I was just thinking about this season's tagline though, "no one goes quietly". Van Alden got the memo but Chalky sure didn't, lol.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
This whole series is building up to Nucky's morally fatal decision to give Gillian to the Colonel to sexual assault. She trusted him. He betrays her, and everything. Game over.

Nucky is coming to terms with the fact that he ruins or kills everyone with whom he comes in contact and the guilt of all their souls is becoming heavy. His power is perfectly proportionate to the demons he's racking up as he goes along.

What a (bleep), boring way for Chalky to go out.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Right on point about Nucky. Dude realized that all the power he always wanted wasn't what he thought it would be.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:

I think the writers are not going to take any extreme liberties with the characters that are based on real-life people. Maranzano will die of course, but I don't see Capone, Luciano, Lansky, or even Nucky for that matter, getting killed.

Agree. I think they'll take liberties with characters they can, but not the ones who have a future timeline still to fulfill in history books beyond Boardwalk.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I didn't know the guy sent to kill Eli was a undercover agent.

So that whole 10+ minute segment with Eli and Van Alden in an federal interview room getting strung up by that same prohie completely went over your head?

No, didn't go over my head, I didn't remember his face.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

What a (bleep), boring way for Chalky to go out.

It was as uneventful as M K W's scene as Ray Ray in Sopranos. They painted themselves into a corner by diluting the complexity of his character and giving him a righteous send off of sorts. It's mildly disappointing because black actors don't often get complex and conflicted characters to play. Chalky started off that way and he eventually morphed into a do-gooder. In the Sops, Ton' and others never gave up the capacity to surprise the audience with an underhanded move just as they were becoming likeable. The writers of Boardwalk gave up on that element as far as Chalky's character went. Now just hope Nucky doesn't lose his edge.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I didn't know the guy sent to kill Eli was a undercover agent.

So that whole 10+ minute segment with Eli and Van Alden in an federal interview room getting strung up by that same prohie completely went over your head?

I'm hoping you make use of the term "jaboney" in one of your posts before the show's over. EX: "...strung up by that same jaboney..." Either that or referring to Van Alden as that cigar store Indian. When I start on a binge of Boardwalk, I find myself reading posts in my head using Lucky's voice.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Bummed to see Van Alden and Chalky White go.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject:

What are your guys' thoughts on Van Alden's last moments- was he thinking he was dead either way so he figured he go out while putting up a fight or do you think he was trying to at least be the hero by possibly saving the other two from getting killed right there in that room to(or at least Eli)? I'm thinking the former but I still wonder.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
What are your guys' thoughts on Van Alden's last moments- was he thinking he was dead either way so he figured he go out while putting up a fight or do you think he was trying to at least be the hero by possibly saving the other two from getting killed right there in that room to(or at least Eli)? I'm thinking the former but I still wonder.

I dont think he thought things through much...just pissed off and scared and flipped out so try to beat the crap of the thing in front of you. Disappointing how the writers handled his and Chalkys deaths, though that was better. Mainly disappointed that it feels like they are just cleaning up storylines under time pressure instead of ending things more naturally.

I mean what was the whole point of showing the Chalky story this season? Nothing really that couldn't have been told in 15 minutes. He walks through the door sees Maitland and his possible baby girl, and dies in a shootout hoping he saved her. I guess the hostage scene with the girl who references his daughter is supposed to mean something but it was awkward. Same for Van Alden. Eli's story might be more interesting, and Nucky's with Gillian could be good. I think Luciano, Capone are just background. Capone story may be completely done now, not much to do there.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject:

I take it the last episode still has people dizzy. Hope Nuck doesn't go out making amends for grievances past as did Sheriff Lindsay. Boring way to wrap it up. His nephew is annoying like Upham from Private Ryan. Why would he walk that slowly during the hostage exchange? I was hoping he'd get killed in lieu of Mickey Doyle. Gotta give it to the guy playing young Buscemi. You start to think that's actually him.

Agree with focus on the "cleaning up storylines" opinion. I just hope they show Al getting his come uppance instead of relying on our prior knowledge that Ness got him on taxes.

The stabbing of Maranzano was well-done. Since his character had a flair for history and was so content to let things unfold as he remained impotent to mounting danger, I'm sure they tried to evoke the dramatic image we have in our minds of how Julius or Caligula were stuck to death by a group of brutuses.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

I think he was just fed up. Ever since he was forced to go into hiding, he's had to take mountains of crap from people starting with the employees at the iron sales company, then O'Banion, then Capone, and finally his wife.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject:

Watching last night's episode, it just occurred to me there's a continuity mistake in Jillian's story. I distinctly recall an episode where Jillian talked about the first time she was introduced to the Commodore. She said she'd just won some type of beauty contest and was about 15 or 16 IIRC.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject:

I wondered who the person under the boardwalk was. It's now clear how Jillian and Nucky were connected.

In the beginning I was puzzled why Nucky gave her much so leeway. He probably felt guilty for introducing a child to the Commodore for his sexual pleasure.

I don't see Nucky going out in a blaze of glory. I know the writers cautioned not to connect the characters to real life but Nucky went to jail for tax evasion, got out and went straight.

I envision him being instrumental in the demise of Narcisse.

How the writers are going to end his storyline has me interested. I hope they don't make him to be a loser.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Nucky's already got his exit strategy plan going via the insider trading he's doing with Margaret. Her return was kind of an unexpected stroke of luck at a time when his empire was starting to fall apart.

He was hoping his Bacardi plan would help him transition from bootlegger to legitimate importer, but following the rejection by Joe Kennedy, the Bacardi guy stealing his money, and the death of Sally Wheet, he's ready to get out of the booze business for good. I think his surrender of his crime businesses to Luciano and Lansky was what he was hoping for and certainly wasn't as important as his nephew's life. That scene where he ordered the kid to get rid of all the booze in the room was symbolic of that. There was also the symbolic gesture of the Sheriff handing over his badge to him and walking away when his conscience couldn't handle it anymore.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject:

^^^^^ I hope you're right n-o. Makes a lot of sense, remembering him doing the inside trading.

focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject:

Interesting ending with Gillian's plea for help, the letter reading before that.

Going to hate to see the scene where good Nucky makes his terrible decision. I hope bad Nucky doesnt get away with it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Gillian wrote a letter to Nucky asking for help again. Young Gillian was shown asking Nucky to help. I think Nucky will help her out of the asylum.

numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject:

I gotta take my hat off to the writers. They were thrown a serious curve ball with the abrupt decision to end the series, but they put together a well crafted final season on a compressed schedule that was capped off by a terrific ending to the series.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
I gotta take my hat off to the writers. They were thrown a serious curve ball with the abrupt decision to end the series, but they put together a well crafted final season capped off by this terrific ending to the series.

Thanks for the heads up n-o. I'd forgotten about the series. I'm not going to read anymore posts about it. I want to get it first hand.

loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject:

The finale, much like this who season, was just a big buildup with a great payoff. Did NOT see that ending with Tommy coming AT ALL. I suspected that they might kill of Nuck but didn't really think they would but I had COMPLETELY forgotten about Tommy.

I love how it all came full circle, especially since Jimmy was my favorite character. Nuck going against his better judgement to get ahead in life with The Commodore's help along with breaking his promise to Gillian set of the longest chain of events that led to his demise. Really was a great way to wrap it all up.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Scorsese series. The ending is a classic one for him.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Blew me away. I didn't like the characters left standing.

I didn't expect Nucky to be killed. Tommy, son of Jimmy did the deed. To many loose ends. Gillian, Eli, Luciano, Daughter.

In this series the bad guys won.

The shift from then to now was tied well. Made the end characters connections clearer.

numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Did NOT see that ending with Tommy coming AT ALL. .

I was wondering why they chose to show that scene between Capone and his son. It was touching and brought some sympathy for Capone, but I suspect the real reason was to remind the viewers how much time had passed. When we first met Capone son, he was about the same age as Tommy. When Tommy said "Grandma", it hit me immediately that the young man was Tommy Darmody.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject:

^ Good point about the Capone scene. I also was thinking it was to bring sympathy for him and show us who he "really was" when he wasn't putting on the public enemy persona for his crew. But I think your pov makes more sense.

It also shows his son trying to be strong for his father in return for when his father tried to make him strong and get him to fight back with the bullies. It's something that kind of tied in to Tommy doing right by his father and his father tried to do all he could to give him a better life.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 29 of 30
Jump to: