I just cannot take this team seriously if Nash is allowed to start
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
j-wolf
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
the starting lineup should be

Lin
Henry
Kobe
Randle
Boozer

Do you want any interior defense?

I think this year's "best 4" lineup is:

Lin
Kobe
Young
Davis
(I want to say Randle but not ready just yet).

If Lin starts, then Davis should start. More option in offense. Better defense as well.

Lin
Kobe
Young
Randle
Davis
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject:

Who Takes The Blame wrote:
I don't see Lin starting until Nash has no gas in the tank.

The tank needs to be refilled every game and gets 1 quarter per gallon.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject:

It's serious when one's team is no threat to make the playoffs, whether with Nash or without him, no ?

Hang on to the bumpy wagon for a few more years of rebuild. I gotta think that eventually we'll see a roster built to threaten make the playoffs, let alone threaten a deep playoff run. "One step at a time" is the theme being chanted, and we're essentially required to forget the refrain sung from the past four Summers, laden as each was with miscues, forgotten lyrics and off-key notes.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I'll admit I haven't been really keeping up with what the Lakers are doing. I don't really take preseason that seriously. Looking at the injuries list gives rise to them not having a good start to the season.

LOS ANGELES LAKERS
UPDATED PLAYER POS INJURY EXPECTED RETURN
10/10/14 Jordan Clarkson PG Calf Probable for start of season
10/06/14 Nick Young SG Thumb Doubtful for start of season
10/04/14 Steve Nash PG Ankle Probable for start of season
10/01/14 Ryan Kelly PF Hamstring Out indefinitely
09/17/14 Kobe Bryant SG Knee Probable for start of season
09/17/14 Xavier Henry SF Wrist, knee Probable for start of season

I hope Steve will have a better year than last. He said if he doesn't he's going to retire.

SIDE NOTE: When I saw the headline Joseph Randle arrested for shop lifting I got a scare. My first thought was Oh Shucky Ducky this can't be true, I misread thinking Julius Randle.

I call shenanigans.

No one ever thinks "oh shucky ducky"!

Don't you remember Cecil Armstrong Oh Shucky Ducky quack quack.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Nash and Boozer will start because they're veterans, not because they're better players. If were 10-20 or worse in the first 30 games, I expect everyone to be benched but Kobe. It's Just a matter of time before Lin, Randle, Davis, and Henry are starters.

That's a horrible way to coach a team. You put the best players on the floor who you think will get you the win.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
Nash and Boozer will start because they're veterans, not because they're better players. If were 10-20 or worse in the first 30 games, I expect everyone to be benched but Kobe. It's Just a matter of time before Lin, Randle, Davis, and Henry are starters.

That's a horrible way to coach a team. You put the best players on the floor who you think will get you the win.

Yup. I can't believe people still think Nash is still better than Lin at this stage in their respective careers. Lin is our best PG and gives us the best chance to win right now. We don't even know if Nash is playing from game to game. He's already set to miss 1/4 of the season. Are you kidding me with this start Nash because he's a veteran. Give me a freaking break.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Coaching is not just one game one player. Scott most likely is thinking long term. I'll believe in him when he limits Kobes minutes.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject:

yep, having Kobe as a defensive liability is already bad, with Nash our backcourt defense is an absolute joke. with the league moving to guard oriented style of play, that spells big trouble.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
yep, having Kobe as a defensive liability is already bad, with Nash our backcourt defense is an absolute joke. with the league moving to guard oriented style of play, that spells big trouble.

Very big trouble. Grant it, Lin isn't great at defense, but he's faster, has more size, length, and can help stay in front of his man or at least funnel him into help defense. Steve, doing that on a nightly basis against Lillard, Westbrook, Curry, Parker, Lawson, Dragic/Bledsoe, is going to be a disaster.

I can't even believe I'm having this conversation about him starting...what a joke.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Very big trouble. Grant it, Lin isn't great at defense, but he's faster, has more size, length, and can help stay in front of his man or at least funnel him into help defense. Steve, doing that on a nightly basis against Lillard, Westbrook, Curry, Parker, Lawson, Dragic/Bledsoe, is going to be a disaster.

I can't even believe I'm having this conversation about him starting...what a joke.

I'm just getting into the season. I have in the past and will this year give the team 20 games before I rate the team. I can't help it, I've never felt this discouraged but as a dyed in the wool Laker fan I'm gonna hope against hope.

Let's give Scott some time

lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

I'm just getting into the season. I have in the past and will this year give the team 20 games before I rate the team. I can't help it, I've never felt this discouraged but as a dyed in the wool Laker fan I'm gonna hope against hope.

Quite frankly, there are some pieces I do like on this team going forward; Lin, Randle, Young, Clarkson, Kelly, Davis, etc...we also have a pick next year at present. I know there is going to be struggles along the way because the team just isn't that talented. The Boozer problem will take care of itself when Randle develops; however, the Steve Nash problem agitates the living heck out of me. How a 40 year with constant injuries who only participated in 15 games last year and is already complaining about injuries and plans to sit out 1/4 of the season start on this team is beyond me. Just simply beyond me.

However, he'll most likely get hurt again and Lin will step in. The downside is the first team builds no cohesion/chemistry because of the constant influx Nash in and out of the lineup. Byron needs to take control of this early in the season and find a solution, and I'm confident he will.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Quite frankly, there are some pieces I do like on this team going forward; Lin, Randle, Young, Clarkson, Kelly, Davis, etc...we also have a pick next year at present. I know there is going to be struggles along the way because the team just isn't that talented. The Boozer problem will take care of itself when Randle develops; however, the Steve Nash problem agitates the living heck out of me. How a 40 year with constant injuries who only participated in 15 games last year and is already complaining about injuries and plans to sit out 1/4 of the season start on this team is beyond me. Just simply beyond me.

However, he'll most likely get hurt again and Lin will step in. The downside is the first team builds no cohesion/chemistry because of the constant influx Nash in and out of the lineup. Byron needs to take control of this early in the season and find a solution, and I'm confident he will.

How Scott handles Nash, Boozer and Kobe will show me what he's made of. If he acquiesces to Kobe I think he'll lose the locker room.

cheesysapien
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
Mitch saying this team is going to be contending for a championship is laughable (I don't remember Mitch's exact words, but he talked about this team is better than most think, and he included championship in his remarks), especially after seeing the 40 year old Nash. Neither Nash or Kobe looked like former MVP'S. Kobe could not do anything against GS's double teams, and he forced all of his shots, it was not pretty seeing two warriors that no longer can do what they did in the past.

He qualified his comment in the preseason training camp interview. He said something like "I wanna clarify what I said. I did not mean that we are a championship caliber team, but the goal remain the same, to win a championship ..." You can look for the full training camp video for more exact quote
"We have a lot of guys that have been kinda discarded ... Myself with the injury and the age. Jeremy ... a bunch of players who other teams really felt they had no use for. So we have that kind of attitude built into ourselves" -- Kobe Bryant
sAM sHILE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Boldarblood wrote:
It does not matter who starts, it only matters who gets more minutes and more importantly finishes the game.

Nothing else matters.

So you'd be ok with having Kobe come off the bench then?

Ginobli is currently a world champ.
Boybees
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I can't take this team seriously even if Nash doesn't start. We don't have any prime time players and Kobe's outings this season have been dismal.

There you go. Let's hope for a great draft pick and a deadline deal that nets a young undervalued player.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: I just cannot take this team seriously if Nash is allowed to start

Kobe2Clark wrote:
Nothing against Nash personally but he is finished as a starter. It's even worse when he's paired with Kobe who has lost more than a step himself.

Lin or Price should start since they can penetrate and hopefully keep up with other PGs. Nash's scoring and playmaking are just not good enough at this point to warrant the starting job. Playing him alongside an older, slower Kobe is ridiculous and the Scott era will start off as a joke if this continues in the regular season.

He's not only finished as a starter, he's finished as a basketball player. I really don't know what Nash's agenda really is. Did he come here just to destroy Kobe's hopes of winning a championship? I wonder if he was still in Phoenix would he be having as many problems? I guess we will never know.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: I just cannot take this team seriously if Nash is allowed to start

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
Kobe2Clark wrote:
Nothing against Nash personally but he is finished as a starter. It's even worse when he's paired with Kobe who has lost more than a step himself.

Lin or Price should start since they can penetrate and hopefully keep up with other PGs. Nash's scoring and playmaking are just not good enough at this point to warrant the starting job. Playing him alongside an older, slower Kobe is ridiculous and the Scott era will start off as a joke if this continues in the regular season.

He's not only finished as a starter, he's finished as a basketball player. I really don't know what Nash's agenda really is. Did he come here just to destroy Kobe's hopes of winning a championship? I wonder if he was still in Phoenix would he be having as many problems? I guess we will never know.

No. He was on his way out of PHX. Due to his personal situation, he wanted to be on a team closer to his kids (who were living with his ex-wife). So places like Toronto/NY didn't make sense.

Clippers had CP3. Lakers were salary capped. So out of a sense of loyalty (both ways), PHX accommodated a sign & trade, and Nash wanted to ensure that PHX would be compensated for trading him to a rival (Nash was an all-star IIRC at the time).

I think Nash had all the intentions of being a contributor and was frankly excited at the thought of Kobe and then Dwight (and Pau).

That Lillard collision was the end of it all.

I applauded the FO for this move. I didn't think much of the 1st rounders given up b/c it was believed the team would be a top 5 team until 2014-15.

In fact, although Nash/Howard didn't work out, the Extension was debatable, I do think the FO will finally get a chance in 2016 or so to rebuild in the new CBA and will put a competitive team forward. The Nash/Howard move reminds me that the FO can still be creative and rebuild on the fly.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject:

jlinfan wrote:
Boldarblood wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Boldarblood wrote:
It does not matter who starts, it only matters who gets more minutes and more importantly finishes the game.

Nothing else matters.

So you'd be ok with having Kobe come off the bench then?

100% absolutely, it does not matter who starts the game. Just because someone else started the game, does not mean they are going to get as many minutes as kobe, and more importantly he will have more energy to finish the game in the 4th.

So yep, if kobe came off the bench, I would have no issue with it.

I disagree wholeheartedly. It does matter who starts.

A big part of coaching is in game adjustments and player matchups.

If starting does not matter, do you really want to start the game with your second unit? Do you want to start each and every game playing catchup?

You can probably get away with it when your like the Spurs or some other well balanced team where the roster is stacked from 1-12.

We're not balanced like that.

Pending on how the first 8-10 minutes of the game plays out pretty much will determine the outcome for us.
We haven't proven to be a resilient team thus far. Sure anything can change from now and February.

Until then Nash bouncing in and out of the starting lineup is only gonna hurt this teams chemistry.

He needs to come off the bench and just stick to that role or else
he'll just continue to stunt the growth of this team.

aka ILLWiLL20

R.I.P PHIL
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: I just cannot take this team seriously if Nash is allowed to start

yinoma2001 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
Kobe2Clark wrote:

No. He was on his way out of PHX. Due to his personal situation, he wanted to be on a team closer to his kids (who were living with his ex-wife). So places like Toronto/NY didn't make sense.

Clippers had CP3. Lakers were salary capped. So out of a sense of loyalty (both ways), PHX accommodated a sign & trade, and Nash wanted to ensure that PHX would be compensated for trading him to a rival (Nash was an all-star IIRC at the time).

I think Nash had all the intentions of being a contributor and was frankly excited at the thought of Kobe and then Dwight (and Pau).

I applauded the FO for this move. I didn't think much of the 1st rounders given up b/c it was believed the team would be a top 5 team until 2014-15.

In fact, although Nash/Howard didn't work out, the Extension was debatable, I do think the FO will finally get a chance in 2016 or so to rebuild in the new CBA and will put a competitive team forward. The Nash/Howard move reminds me that the FO can still be creative and rebuild on the fly.

I hope you're right hate to think otherwise. I know injuries happen but imho there's a point when as an athlete you have to say that's it, I'm hanging them up. In life sometimes people will remember the end and not the beginning, or middle greatness, Nash is a legend so why ruin that?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: I just cannot take this team seriously if Nash is allowed to start

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
Kobe2Clark wrote:

I hope you're right hate to think otherwise. I know injuries happen but imho there's a point when as an athlete you have to say that's it, I'm hanging them up. In life sometimes people will remember the end and not the beginning, or middle greatness, Nash is a legend so why ruin that?

2011-12, was 12/11apg, 62 games, All-Star pick.

Previously, played 75, 81, and 74 games (averaging around 15/11).

Yes, he was old, had some nagging injuries, but was a baller even up to that summer, which was why I was fist pumping Kirk Gibson style when I heard we got him.

I'm holding onto the hope that by 2016, I'll be fist pumping again. I think the FO will ride the Kobe era out and then completely restart in 2016. Until then, this team is rebuilding and hopefully the team isn't complete garbage around Kobe. I hope to see foundations being laid in the interim.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Yup. I can't believe people still think Nash is still better than Lin at this stage in their respective careers. Lin is our best PG and gives us the best chance to win right now. We don't even know if Nash is playing from game to game. He's already set to miss 1/4 of the season. Are you kidding me with this start Nash because he's a veteran. Give me a freaking break.

We also don't know if Lin will be playing game to game.
jlinfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

We also don't know if Lin will be playing game to game.

True in the literal sense. It's a given injuries can happen to anyone at anytime. Which translates to not knowing if Lin will be playing game to game.

But I can guess who you would pick between Nash / Lin as to who would have a better chance of playing the most games. And it wouldn't even be close.

Which means the point of who will play the most games is hardly debateabe.
ROTL
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Nash needs to just retire.

Lin or Price
Nick young eventually
Kobe
Boozer
Davis

We need to get a legit 3.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject:

j-wolf wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
the starting lineup should be

Lin
Henry
Kobe
Randle
Boozer

Do you want any interior defense?

I think this year's "best 4" lineup is:

Lin
Kobe
Young
Davis
(I want to say Randle but not ready just yet).

If Lin starts, then Davis should start. More option in offense. Better defense as well.

Lin
Kobe
Young
Randle
Davis

I like this Line up but Hill and Boozer off the bench poses the same problem. We need one less PF and one more center.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject:

ROTL wrote:
Nash needs to just retire.

Lin or Price
Nick young eventually
Kobe
Boozer
Davis

We need to get a legit 3.

A 3 that can shoot and play a little D would be great
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: