NBA testing out 44 minute game
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
A better change would be to cut the number of regular season games from 82 to 66.

66 is perfect. 66 works out perfect for the games too. Each team can play 4 games against teams in their division, 3 games in conference and 2 games in the other conference, evenly. This gives the divisions more cred again, builds more rivalry within the division. Not a major one but little more than it is now. Also, teams would average 13 games a month for 5 months. That would save big time on wear and tear during the regular season.

I also think the playoffs need a fix. Eliminate one playoff spot and give the top seed a bye with the other 3 series going 5 games in the first round.

Make sure there is only one day break in between back to back home games and 2 days when they have to travel. So, if a series starts on Monday, next game on Wednesday, than game 3 is on Saturday, game 4 Monday, game 5 on Thursday. That's 10 days for one playoff series not 2 weeks or 2 and half weeks like it is now. And that's 10 days max for 5 game series.

I have never been a fan of the 2+ month playoff. Month and a half tops and that brings the season for the finals teams, at most, to 6 1/2 months.

NFL is 6 months and they do pretty well. I think Silver is the right man for the job and if he can create more interest in the off season for the NBA that brings in revenue, it could work.

I agree; it's just too easy to get into the playoffs these days and really, the only advantage you get for performing well in the regular season is homecourt advantage. I think you could even take it a step further and just make it four playoff spots per conference. It would make the regular season more interesting to watch, though it would never happen because the NBA would lose advertising revenue.

4 spots in each conference would be ideal. But you are right, it would never happen.

Check this scenario out, tell me what you think:

I see changes coming. And with the new TV deal and Seattle putting the pressure on to get the Sonics back, I think the NBA may expand two more teams. Word is Louisville may be an area as well. It's funny Adam Silver laid the chips down, pardon the pun, about the gambling thing being inevitable. Maybe Las Vegas will finally get a team.

Seattle is a given. If Las Vegas is the second team, then the conferences can get re-aligned perfectly. Move Minnesota to the eastern conference. and make the divisions two divisions again.

Pacific Division
Los Angeles Lakers
Los Angeles Clippers
Golden St. Warriors
Seattle Super Sonics
Portland Trail Blazers
Phoenix Suns
Sacramento Kings
Las Vegas

Midwest Division
San Antonio Spurs
Dallas Mavericks
Houston Rockets
New Orleans Pelicans
Denver Nuggets
Utah Jazz
Memphis Grizzlies
Oklahoma City Thunder

Atlantic Division
Toronto Raptors
Brooklyn Nets
New York Knicks
Boston Celtics
Philadelphia 76ers
Washington Wizards
Orlando Magic
Miami Heat

Central Division
Atlanta Hawks
Charlotte Hornets
Chicago Bulls
Cleveland Cavaliers
Detroit Pistons
Indiana Pacers
Milwaukee Bucks
Minnesota Timberwolves

Now, we have this issue in the NBA where the divisions don't mean anything. We also think there are too many teams in the playoffs, which there are. More then half go in. Now, I know playoff money isn't the same but I think between the new TV deals and two extra teams, maybe that can make up for some of the money lost if they cut the teams from 8 to 6.

During the regular season, each team plays their division participants 4 times, in conference teams 3 times and 2 out of conference. That's exactly 82 games. Then the 2 divisions winners get byes in the first round and the other 4 play 5 games series. Players are talking about a grueling regular season, well, I think the playoffs should be a reward not another 1/3rd of a season. The divisions winners get some rest to start and then duke it out from there. Or if they cant bare to kill two teams, at least take it to 7 and only the number 1 seed gets a bye.

This set up would also help players who play in the international tourney's.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: