Dish Network and TWC
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KB8SD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject:

TAKAHIRO wrote:
I don't know about you guys but I cut the middle man out, well for the most part. The Lakers should have never partnered with twc. All their excellence for the most hated company in the US, jeanie buss is clueless.

Jeanie isn't a clueless business person.

Any person who would turn down a $3 to $5 billion TV contract is a stupid.

That's on average a $200 to $300 million extra revenue the Lakers get each year from TWC.
KB8SD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject:

A lot of useful info here:

http://www.twcsportsnet.com/faq

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/time_warner_lakers_broadcast_faq.html

Can I get the networks where I live?

The networks’ broadcast territory includes all regions that previously broadcast Lakers, Galaxy and Sparks games. That area stretches from Fresno County to the north to San Diego County and Imperial County to the south. It also includes Hawaii (Time Warner Cable Deportes not available in HI) and Clark County, NV. A full list of CA counties that can receive the networks is as follows: Fresno, Imperial, Kern, Kings, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Tulare and Ventura.

If I live outside of the territory listed above, can I watch live Lakers, Galaxy and Sparks games?

If your provider carries Time Warner Cable SportsNet and Time Warner Cable Deportes outside of the area listed above, you will still be able to watch non-live game programming on the networks, but not live games. All Los Angeles Lakers, LA Galaxy and Los Angeles Sparks games that air on Time Warner Cable SportsNet and Time Warner Cable Deportes can only be watched live within the networks’ local broadcast footprint, in accordance with the National Basketball Association’s (NBA), Major League Soccer’s (MLS) and Women’s National Broadcast Association’s (WNBA) broadcast territory rules, as was the case with the teams’ previous TV broadcast partner stations.
kentu_tiro
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject:

I wish I could just buy TWCSportsNet by itself so I can have Lakers games on my ROKU or Apple TV.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject:

kentu_tiro wrote:
I wish I could just buy TWCSportsNet by itself so I can have Lakers games on my ROKU or Apple TV.

Cable companies would be smart to sell individual channels instead of the dumb packages where you pay another $40/month for 60 channels when you only actually watch 2. They're making more money now, but people are starting to drop cable in favor of Netflix, Hulu, etc. It'd be much better if they just let you buy the TWCsportsnet app regardless of your provider/area. (I know that would be a much more complicated problem due to the NBA, but still, somebody should solve it lol)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KB8SD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject:

kentu_tiro wrote:

It would be a nice option to have.

But cable companies are strongly against it and this is the main reason why your seeing sports teams in all major north american sports league sign billion dollar TV contracts with sports teams. The cable & satellite companies know streaming or "cutting the cords" route is affecting them.

Sports channel TV deals are really one of the last things keeping people from having cable or satellite subscriptions.

The NBA itself would hate and will never allow a channel like TWC Sportsnet to be solid separately on a a la carte basis because they know it would affect the sales and revenue money of NBA League Pass. Which is a sports package designed specifically for sports fans who live outside of their teams local market and want to see their teams like the Lakers.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject:

kentu_tiro wrote:

The reason they won't do it is because sports fans won't be able to subsidize the channels by themselves...they need the casual viewers and people who don't want it to help pay for it as well. If the channel were sold on its own, there is no way the Lakers would've gotten that much money for TV rights from an RSN.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
kentu_tiro wrote:

The reason they won't do it is because sports fans won't be able to subsidize the channels by themselves...they need the casual viewers and people who don't want it to help pay for it as well. If the channel were sold on its own, there is no way the Lakers would've gotten that much money for TV rights from an RSN.

You can buy league pass and connect through a proxy to get past the blackout restrictions, so I've heard...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: