Django actress cries racism when police detained her
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
Bad press is good press in Hollywood on a side note would you show up to a meeting or an audition looking like a homeless crackhead like she did ?? I really wonder if she has some mental issues

Do you know what she was auditioning for? Either way, I think she said that she was leaving work. So maybe her role called for her to look that way.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
jodeke wrote:
pmacla wrote:
Bad press is good press in Hollywood on a side note would you show up to a meeting or an audition looking like a homeless crackhead like she did ?? I really wonder if she has some mental issues

What came to mind when I first saw this was the actress caught on Jefferson Blvd in Los Angeles buying crack. I don't remember her name. She lost it when her show canceled. I'm not talking about Jaimee Foxworth.

Are you talking about Maya Campbell? She is the daughter of noted author Bebe Moore Campbell. Maya was incredibly beautiful when she was a young actress. Crack is a helluva drug.

Yes, that's who I was thinking about and she was a beautiful woman. She was in a sitcom In The House with LL Cool J and Debbie Allen.

I blame being bi-polar more for her downfall than I do crack.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
pmacla wrote:

What came to mind when I first saw this was the actress caught on Jefferson Blvd in Los Angeles buying crack. I don't remember her name. She lost it when her show canceled. I'm not talking about Jaimee Foxworth.

Are you talking about Maya Campbell? She is the daughter of noted author Bebe Moore Campbell. Maya was incredibly beautiful when she was a young actress. Crack is a helluva drug.

What was Maia Campbell in? She looks very vaguely familiar. Was she one of the acting profession's many lost children?

I've brought this one up before, but there was a Playboy Playmate from 92 named Tanya Beyer who evidently was either on meth or crack. This girl was actually more beautiful facially than most Playmates, she was beyond "cute" and had model features, and she had a great natural-looking body of course, but UCH! Sad sh seein her B & A pics. I saw a pic of her a few years back because she got busted for pharmacy shopping and/or phony scripts or something. Not only that, but there were two other Playmates from the year 92 who were OD deaths, one of them being Anna Nicole (as "Vickie" Smith). There was another from 94 named Elisa Bridges who OD'd on a mix of drugs, wiki says meth, heroin and others. Gorgeous brunette. Look up her pics, man. That is damn shame.

http://www.allgirlsalley.com/galleries/elisa_bridges/elisa_bridges_12.jpg
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
jodeke wrote:
pmacla wrote:

What was Maia Campbell in? She looks very vaguely familiar. Was she one of the acting profession's many lost children?

I've brought this one up before, but there was a Playboy Playmate from 92 named Tanya Beyer who evidently was either on meth or crack. This girl was actually more beautiful facially than most Playmates, she was beyond "cute" and had model features, and she had a great natural-looking body of course, but UCH! Sad sh seein her B & A pics. I saw a pic of her a few years back because she got busted for pharmacy shopping and/or phony scripts or something. Not only that, but there were two other Playmates from the year 92 who were OD deaths, one of them being Anna Nicole (as "Vickie" Smith). There was another from 94 named Elisa Bridges who OD'd on a mix of drugs, wiki says meth, heroin and others. Gorgeous brunette. Look up her pics, man. That is damn shame.

http://www.allgirlsalley.com/galleries/elisa_bridges/elisa_bridges_12.jpg

Maia Campbell was in FOX comedy-drama series South Central and she played Tiffany Warren in the NBC/UPN sitcom In the House with LL Cool J and Debbie Allen.

She's supposedly turn her life around and learned to deal with her bi-polar condition. She has a daughter who is reported to be well adjusted.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject:

Of course this "actress" goes into hiding now that the community activists want an apology for this false accusation.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject:

Activists Want "Django Unchained" Actress to Apologize to LAPD About Detention

LINK

Her story is falling apart along with her support.

I heard on a Channel 2 newscast a reporter had her on her cell, told her activists wanted her to apologize, would she do it now? She hung up.

It's so strange. If she was indeed having sex in public and reacted the way she did, I wonder, is she mentally stable?

Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject:

Danielle Watts has inadvertently assisted racism in this country. She has provided the punchline for racism apologists any time a legitimate instance of racism (and they are legion) is brought up.

Last edited by Omar Little on Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Maia Campbell has inadvertently assisted racism in this country. She has provided the punchline for racism apologists any time a legitimate instance of racism (and they are legion) is brought up.

I think you mean Danielle Watts

Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject:

Yeah, sorry, you are correct. Fixed.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Kobeskillz wrote:
Atticus wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
24 wrote:
Was this the one where she was detained for no reason?

The reason she was detained was because police reported to calls that she was having sex in a public place - in a car with the door open - and not simply harassing her because she was "making out" with her boyfriend.

TMZ has the audio, and from that it sounds like the police weren't really the problem as much as her mouth and bad attitude.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/09/15/django-actress-daniele-watts-lapd-race-card-fame-audio/

When I clicked play on that audio I fully expected to be convinced that the actress was at fault. She dramatized it a bit later when she said that by the way he was talking to her, she could tell that the officer thought she was a prostitute. That being said, the officer didn't exactly help his case by speaking to her the way that he did. There is no law in California requiring individuals to present ID when they are detained on suspicion of criminal activity.

I think both parties were at fault. I think the officer was simply responding to a call, which is his job to do. On the other hand, he could have just said what the call was about and then left, but he was pressing to see her ID, so I could definitely see why she would be upset, since it suggests to her that he is assuming she did something wrong. Also, she was the one who brought up race, but he makes himself sound like a jerk when he says something along the lines of 'oh yeah, play the race card, I've never heard that one before.'

The fact is that we have no idea what was going on in that young lady's mind. Maybe this wasn't a racially motivated incident, but maybe she has had...I don't know...a lifetime of opportunities to be confronted with racial issues. She came into this incident with that background and the officer came in with his. Maybe both sides were right in their own ways, but I don't think it's fair to say that she was a bigger problem than the police.

lol I hate pigs and even I side with the cop on this one. lol. Not sure how anyone can listen to the tape and not think she was completely at fault.

The cop brought up the "never heard that one before" because tons of people like this lady try to play the race card. Is pathetic.

Actually, what is pathetic is that people are too stupid to see that the very term "Playing the race card," sets up a situation that denies the possibility that race (In America, for God's sake) or plays a hand in any situation. It is a way to completely dismiss what very well may be legitimate concerns.

In this particular instance, the officer was faced with a ridiculous drama queen and he handled it about average. He remained fairly but not completely calm and he was unprofessional in his language and repeated use of that insidious phrase. He was also condescending. But, she was certainly provocative and I could see why she would drive someone to unprofessional behavior

No more pathetic or stupid than ignoring the dynamic that lead to the comment in the first place - which is what she did. Yeah, the cop in question got a little snarky, but as you said Watts was a provocateur.

She did "play the race card". While I think the terminology sounds dismissive, I don't think the general concept is inaccurate. She created a situation that drew attention to herself. She was asked by fellow citizens to stop in engaging in an illegal act and she refused. Those citizens reported the situation to the police. A police officer was sent to the scene to do his job based on other people's reports - not by his own initiation. Upon arrival he is immediately accused of doing so because he is a racist because one of the people who created the situation in the first place didn't like the results of their actions. He didn't single Watts out. He was tasked with sorting out a situation that he was dispatched to. The very public accusations by Watts against the officer involved that he did so based on her race was purely a self-serving move based on leveraging her race against his in order to deflect her responsibility.

She played a strategy game based on the racial dynamics. The officer is by no means a bad guy for pointing that out. Nor do I blame him. He shouldn't have to sit back and be accused of being a racist in a situation that was none of his doing, because some self-absorbed person can't respect her fellow citizens and gets herself in a bind because of it.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Actually, what is pathetic is that people are too stupid to see that the very term "Playing the race card," sets up a situation that denies the possibility that race (In America, for God's sake) or plays a hand in any situation. It is a way to completely dismiss what very well may be legitimate concerns.

I think you have it backwards. The race card is played anytime someone wishes to deflect any implication of delinquency by using existing or historical racial tension as a strawman which is incredibly toxic in that it only succeeds in creating a frenzy that obfuscates any eventual carriage of justice and, even more dangerously, destroys the perceived credibility of any past or future message about racism.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

I think you have it backwards. The race card is played anytime someone wishes to deflect any implication of delinquency by using existing or historical racial tension as a strawman which is incredibly toxic in that it only succeeds in creating a frenzy that obfuscates any eventual carriage of justice and, even more dangerously, destroys the perceived credibility of any past or future message about racism.

Very succinct and very true.

There's no doubt racism still exists, but that fact gets exploited by some people who wish to emphasize personal convenience at the expense of honesty and decency towards others.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

No, no. I have it ordered properly. The issue is that when one uses that term, it not only indicates a propensity to dismiss claims of legitimate racism as special pleading, but also, speaks to Prof. Bell's first law, i.e. only white people can legitimately label white racism.

As to the notion that what you term "Playing the race card" somehow destroys the credibility of any past or future message about racism, well, I'll just let you stew on that a bit. That is one of the more obtuse comments ever made on this site.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Kobeskillz wrote:
Atticus wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
24 wrote:
Was this the one where she was detained for no reason?

The reason she was detained was because police reported to calls that she was having sex in a public place - in a car with the door open - and not simply harassing her because she was "making out" with her boyfriend.

TMZ has the audio, and from that it sounds like the police weren't really the problem as much as her mouth and bad attitude.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/09/15/django-actress-daniele-watts-lapd-race-card-fame-audio/

When I clicked play on that audio I fully expected to be convinced that the actress was at fault. She dramatized it a bit later when she said that by the way he was talking to her, she could tell that the officer thought she was a prostitute. That being said, the officer didn't exactly help his case by speaking to her the way that he did. There is no law in California requiring individuals to present ID when they are detained on suspicion of criminal activity.

I think both parties were at fault. I think the officer was simply responding to a call, which is his job to do. On the other hand, he could have just said what the call was about and then left, but he was pressing to see her ID, so I could definitely see why she would be upset, since it suggests to her that he is assuming she did something wrong. Also, she was the one who brought up race, but he makes himself sound like a jerk when he says something along the lines of 'oh yeah, play the race card, I've never heard that one before.'

The fact is that we have no idea what was going on in that young lady's mind. Maybe this wasn't a racially motivated incident, but maybe she has had...I don't know...a lifetime of opportunities to be confronted with racial issues. She came into this incident with that background and the officer came in with his. Maybe both sides were right in their own ways, but I don't think it's fair to say that she was a bigger problem than the police.

lol I hate pigs and even I side with the cop on this one. lol. Not sure how anyone can listen to the tape and not think she was completely at fault.

The cop brought up the "never heard that one before" because tons of people like this lady try to play the race card. Is pathetic.

In this particular instance, the officer was faced with a ridiculous drama queen and he handled it about average. He remained fairly but not completely calm and he was unprofessional in his language and repeated use of that insidious phrase. He was also condescending. But, she was certainly provocative and I could see why she would drive someone to unprofessional behavior

No more pathetic or stupid than ignoring the dynamic that lead to the comment in the first place - which is what she did. Yeah, the cop in question got a little snarky, but as you said Watts was a provocateur.

She did "play the race card". While I think the terminology sounds dismissive, I don't think the general concept is inaccurate. She created a situation that drew attention to herself. She was asked by fellow citizens to stop in engaging in an illegal act and she refused. Those citizens reported the situation to the police. A police officer was sent to the scene to do his job based on other people's reports - not by his own initiation. Upon arrival he is immediately accused of doing so because he is a racist because one of the people who created the situation in the first place didn't like the results of their actions. He didn't single Watts out. He was tasked with sorting out a situation that he was dispatched to. The very public accusations by Watts against the officer involved that he did so based on her race was purely a self-serving move based on leveraging her race against his in order to deflect her responsibility.

She played a strategy game based on the racial dynamics. The officer is by no means a bad guy for pointing that out. Nor do I blame him. He shouldn't have to sit back and be accused of being a racist in a situation that was none of his doing, because some self-absorbed person can't respect her fellow citizens and gets herself in a bind because of it.

It doesn't matter what should be in this situation regarding the officer's situation. The matter of professionalism should trump anything short of a life threatening situation.

I deal with the public ever day and I'm subject to misdirected anger on every single shift. My stock answer "I'm sorry that you feel that way, how do you think things can be made right? Sometimes they can and sometimes they can't. The officer will never know because he wasn't professional enough to ask the question and potentially diffuse the situation. That speaks to his level and lack of professionalism.

And again, "Play the race card" is simply code for "I validate Prof. Bell's first rule of racial standing. Congratulations.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Danielle Watts has inadvertently assisted racism in this country. She has provided the punchline for racism apologists any time a legitimate instance of racism (and they are legion) is brought up.

Yeah, that's it. Lucky for them, she came along just in time or else they were never going to have the chance to be apologists for white racism in America.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

No, no. I have it ordered properly. The issue is that when one uses that term, it not only indicates a propensity to dismiss claims of legitimate racism as special pleading, but also, speaks to Prof. Bell's first law, i.e. only white people can legitimately label white racism.

Bell's theory doesn't apply to this concept because it's not just black people who play the race card. In fact, since a certain someone's emergence in American politics, I've seen the race card flipped by just about everyone else.

Quote:
As to the notion that what you term "Playing the race card" somehow destroys the credibility of any past or future message about racism, well, I'll just let you stew on that a bit. That is one of the more obtuse comments ever made on this site.

Obtuse, eh? You don't have to be so dramatic. Give me the benefit of doubting that I wouldn't go out of my way to be obtuse about this subject.

I think your preoccupation with the black vs. white dynamic is what's making something as simple and established as the race card fallacy into a sudden controversy, so I'll try to be as straightforward about this as possible: white people use it too, and I know that you know this. "He only got elected because he's black!" "White people only voted for him because of liberal white guilt!" Those are just two popular, verbatim examples of white people doing this, both of which I'm absolutely sure you've seen in practice and my intention isn't to highlight some disproportionate usage by any particular racial group, because that distribution chart would look as diverse as the nation itself. My point is that it exists, that it is destructive whether or not you'd like to believe it. If Aesop were alive in the 21st century, perhaps he would've written "The Boy Who Cried Racism!". If that fable isn't illustrative enough as to how a false indictment of racism can erode the legitimate ones, just think of what bogus rape allegations do to actual victims of rape. Same concept. If after this you still believe what DMR and I are saying is obtuse, I might have to assume that you're the one being deliberately obtuse with regard to acknowledging the race card technique and the agendas behind its deployment.

Lastly, I'll implore that before you let yourself assume that this is an argument between you and some white devils who couldn't possibly ever be perceptive or experienced enough to discuss matters of racism because of a proclivity for bias based on our not being black, and I hope I know them well enough to speak for DMR, JMK, and 24, to please realize that the contrary is true. You would be hard pressed to find viewpoints on this topic that are more well-reasoned and considerate.

This chick played the race card. There's no way around it. Then she played the do you know who I am card. She posted and pivoted, and got whistled for traveling.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject:

dp

Last edited by C M B on Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject:

It doesn't matter what should be in this situation regarding the officer's situation. The matter of professionalism should trump anything short of a life threatening situation.

I deal with the public ever day and I'm subject to misdirected anger on every single shift. My stock answer "I'm sorry that you feel that way, how do you think things can be made right? Sometimes they can and sometimes they can't. The officer will never know because he wasn't professional enough to ask the question and potentially diffuse the situation.

It's especially hard for a generally intelligent person to meter their reaction to misdirected anger because it often is slung by a schweinhund with a drug habit, at least one missing tooth, an odor of urine, or a face tattoo. Quite honestly, it sucks to deal with that. Been there and done it; been 'n done... Your ability to use your skill to diffuse or redirect a sheisskopf's bluster into something halfway productive is hard to do on a daily basis, but in a people service business, that stuff comes with the territory. You've signed up with the implicit knowledge that it's gonna come your way and those who are able to treat people with dignity who won't extend it back to you is the height of professionalism because it's thankless. It's the part of the job with the least amount of flash...pee-zazz. It doesn't get ju dee wemon like a little yayo does. Keep soldiering, mang.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
C M B wrote:

Bell's theory doesn't apply to this concept because it's not just black people who play the race card. In fact, since a certain someone's emergence in American politics, I've seen the race card flipped by just about everyone else.

Quote:

Obtuse, eh? You don't have to be so dramatic. Give me the benefit of doubting that I wouldn't go out of my way to be obtuse about this subject.

I think your preoccupation with the black vs. white dynamic is what's making something as simple and established as the race card fallacy into a sudden controversy, so I'll try to be as straightforward about this as possible: white people use it too, and I know that you know this. "He only got elected because he's black!" "White people only voted for him because of liberal white guilt!" Those are just two popular, verbatim examples of white people doing this, both of which I'm absolutely sure you've seen in practice and my intention isn't to highlight some disproportionate usage by any particular racial group, because that distribution chart would look as diverse as the nation itself. My point is that it exists, that it is destructive whether or not you'd like to believe it. If Aesop were alive in the 21st century, perhaps he would've written "The Boy Who Cried Racism!". If that fable isn't illustrative enough as to how a false indictment of racism can erode the legitimate ones, just think of what bogus sexual assault allegations do to actual victims of sexual assault. Same concept. If after this you still believe what DMR and I are saying is obtuse, I might have to assume that you're the one being deliberately obtuse with regard to acknowledging the race card technique and the agendas behind its deployment.

Lastly, I'll implore that before you let yourself assume that this is an argument between you and some white devils who couldn't possibly ever be perceptive or experienced enough to discuss matters of racism because of a proclivity for bias based on our not being black, and I hope I know them well enough to speak for DMR, JMK, and 24, to please realize that the contrary is true. You would be hard pressed to find viewpoints on this topic that are more well-reasoned and considerate.

This chick played the race card. There's no way around it. Then she played the do you know who I am card. She posted and pivoted, and got whistled for traveling.

Thanks for what was obviously a well meaning and thoughtful reply. As I explained to 24, I'll not write a thesis about this subject for a variety of reasons, most notably the one that provoked him into labeling me a hypocrite.

But I would like to address two points in a little detail.

1. I well understand that the term "Playing the race card" CAN be used as a surrogate in the situations you describe above. And I am certainly aware that there are individuals of all races and creeds etc who do something similar. But the fact is that overwhelmingly the term "Played the race card" is used in a specific fashion and in specific circumstances. And it is almost universally used by people who use it frequently because they have a switch that hears any sort of racial complaint by blacks Americans as special pleading. For this and other more subtle but multiple reasons, I think Prof. Bell's first rule is completely applicable....

FIRST RULE
The law grants litigants standing to come into court based on their having sufficient personal interest and involvement in the issue to justify judicial congnizance. Black people (while they may be able to get into court) are denied such standing legitimacy in the world generally when they discuss their negative experiences with racism or even when they attempt to give a positive evaluation of another black person or of his work. No matter what their experience or expertise, blacks' statements involving race are deemed 'special pleading' and thus not entitled to serious consideration.

It is easy to connect the dots regarding any situation where this phrase is used. It overly simplifies while dismissing and dis-empowering all at the same time. There are much better, more specific ways to call someone out on this type of behavior should one be of that opinion.

In this particular case, we don't know all of the details or background. It is obvious that the actress is a drama queen. But we have no idea if she had seen other couples, non inter-racial or white couples, engaging in the same type of behavior with no intervention by the police. So we haven't necessarily walked in her shoes. While it is probably the case that she was illegitimately calling attention to her race vis-a vis black white/civillian/police relations, we don't have enough information to go on about how, at a time where congress would rather have the country fail and people suffer than allow a black POTUS succeed, where congressmen call the POTUS a liar on the floor of the house of representatives, where sitting state governers, put their fingers in the face of the POTUS and then claim that they felt intimidated and I could go on for pages about the resergance in white racism since President Obama was elected, yet some actually use this minor incident to somehow suggest that THIS is fuel for white racism fire? Just ridiculous.

As to 24, DMR and JMK. They are good guys in general IMO and I generally value their input even when I disagree with them. But they are not infallible and they still see the world through a vastly different prism than I do. They don't walk in my shoes and they don't have to raise my children. But just as they have the right to call me out as they see fit, I reserve the same right. I certainly don't think they are virulent racist, and they are probably more aware of their weaknesses than most. But, I do admit that 24 calling me a hypocrite seemed not only out of line, but dismissive and reeked of the same sort of white paternalism that Prof. Bell examined.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

I deal with the public ever day and I'm subject to misdirected anger on every single shift. My stock answer "I'm sorry that you feel that way, how do you think things can be made right? Sometimes they can and sometimes they can't. The officer will never know because he wasn't professional enough to ask the question and potentially diffuse the situation.

It's especially hard for a generally intelligent person to meter their reaction to misdirected anger because it often is slung by a schweinhund with a drug habit, at least one missing tooth, an odor of urine, or a face tattoo. Quite honestly, it sucks to deal with that. Been there and done it; been 'n done... Your ability to use your skill to diffuse or redirect a sheisskopf's bluster into something halfway productive is hard to do on a daily basis, but in a people service business, that stuff comes with the territory. You've signed up with the implicit knowledge that it's gonna come your way and those who are able to treat people with dignity who won't extend it back to you is the height of professionalism because it's thankless. It's the part of the job with the least amount of flash...pee-zazz. It doesn't get ju dee wemon like a little yayo does. Keep soldiering, mang.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Kbcb, I apologize for being dismissive. It was a reaction to basically being told I couldn't understand, because I'm white, and wouldn't take your input as valid, because I'm white. Seemed awful dismissive from your end, especially when my crime was to ask for your data, something that, as a doctor, I expect you yourself place a lot of value in.

Fwiw, I rarely mention this, but 3 of my kids are mixed Caucasian and African american, and I have had a profound and deeply humbling metamorphosis in my racial views and understanding as a result. I had to come to grips with being a racist abettor (doing little or nothing when encountering it), and carrying and displaying my own racist tendencies and thought processes. I am certainly a work in progress, but not one to discount or dismiss your views or opinions based on race.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Kbcb, I apologize for being dismissive. It was a reaction to basically being told I couldn't understand, because I'm white, and wouldn't take your input as valid, because I'm white. Seemed awful dismissive from your end, especially when my crime was to ask for your data, something that, as a doctor, I expect you yourself place a lot of value in.

Fwiw, I rarely mention this, but 3 of my kids are mixed Caucasian and African american, and I have had a profound and deeply humbling metamorphosis in my racial views and understanding as a result. I had to come to grips with being a racist abettor (doing little or nothing when encountering it), and carrying and displaying my own racist tendencies and thought processes. I am certainly a work in progress, but not one to discount or dismiss your views or opinions based on race.

Apology accepted.

I suppose I did come off a bit dismissive as well. The fact is that a very good friend of mine just completed his doctoral thesis in philosophy with Prof. Bell's contention that racism is a permanent part of the American landscape as the subject. I helped him compile and vet the stats as well as helped him with the outline and proof. I'm kinda burned on the subject and have way too much data to have replied with anything less than would have amounted to a mini-thesis to support my contention.

I have gleaned that you have children who are African American and have expected that you have learned far more from that experience than the average white American. So, I'm sure you can understand why I was so proud of my little girl not letting the little boy's statement go by without comment.

Anyway, we're good and I do respect you and DMR, JMK and CMB as posters. We may not always agree but I know you guys as well as many others bring lots to the table.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject:

[url=http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/21/daniele-watts-lewd-conduct_n_6023630.html]
'Django Unchained' Actress Daniele Watts And Boyfriend Charged With Lewd Conduct[/url]

Well, she did want to keep herself in the news over this story . . .
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: