Randle/Davis > Boozer/Hill
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
The only thing Hill has over Davis is that midrange shot. Everything else, Ed is better.

He's also a far better rebounder.
Lakers 4 eva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
The only thing Hill has over Davis is that midrange shot. Everything else, Ed is better.

But he is also too slow to cover the pick and roll guy along with Boozer.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:32 am    Post subject:

Lakers 4 eva wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

But he is also too slow to cover the pick and roll guy along with Boozer.

Exactly. Boozer is a good rebounder also. 2 guys positioning for rebounds means no rotation / rim protection. Jhill often times doesn't rotate trying to maintain rebound position. Davis thus complements boozer better by mutual compensation w his rim protection. Jhill is also too slow to make a difference when he does rotate. Davis preventing a bucket defensively then allows us to fast break offensively leading to easier buckets. Davis is better than jhill, it's obvious.
hopandskip
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject:

Hill played well last night.

Davis will get his chances to start as the season goes on.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject:

Davis is a great energy guy off the bench. Leave everything the way it is.
Laker Intervention
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject:

I love Davis and Randle. But Hill and Boozer played well last night. Boozer has had a string of good games. It's just preseason guys. Although, undersized we have four guys who can bring it in the paint. The other team's bigs are going to get tired, we have the luxury of having a rotation that will be in solid shape.

It's more about defense. Hill needs to be able to hit that shot and be a presence in the paint on defense/rebounding.

Ed Davis needs to be in with Lin or any guard who understands pick n roll/penetration. He also needs to be in if we're facing PGs like Parker, Rose. Boozer's concern is defense. He has actually been playing really well on offense and in a way has the potential to be a steal. It's fair to be skeptic about him making any drastic changes defensively at this stage of his career, but at least he's bought into what Byron wants. Randle has to also get better at defense. If he can hit that shot, great. But I want him to be in more control. He drives like a rookie. He lets his talent create, but I want him to be slightly more methodical.

That being said, playing time will have to do with match ups and who is currently playing well. We're lucky to have four guys.

My question mark right now is with Wes/X/Clarkson. Those three can do so much for us athletically. If they can overachieve until Young gets back, that would be great.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject:

I liked the play last night where Hill got hit in the mouth and turned his back to the play. And then Johnson tries to pass it to his butt.

pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject:

Boozer may be weak on defense but occasionally he comes up with something on that end (6 steals in a game earlier this preseason). However he is a good offensive player; he rebounds and every team needs scorers.
since1991
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject:

Boozer/Hill/Wes frontcourt has to be the worst starting frontcourt in NBA
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
MJST wrote:
Davis is fine just where he is.

hell no. the rim protector needs to play the most minutes. also, he and J.Lin's PnR looks GREAT, meaning, he's more of an offensive threat than J.Hill - IF you play him with the starters (lin, KB,Wes, Booz,Davis). play that group the most minutes and we'll have the most success by far. And idk how anyone doesn't see that.

Davis has never averaged more than 24 mpg in his career, there are reasons for that. Give him 24 and Hill 24 and we are fine, neither have proved the durability to play much more.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject:

Actually I think Davis at 5 and Hill at 4 would be best... for now, until I hope Randle will live up to my hype
boozer should lead the second unit with Ronnie price and SwaggyP
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
MJST wrote:
Davis is fine just where he is.

hell no. the rim protector needs to play the most minutes. also, he and J.Lin's PnR looks GREAT, meaning, he's more of an offensive threat than J.Hill - IF you play him with the starters (lin, KB,Wes, Booz,Davis). play that group the most minutes and we'll have the most success by far. And idk how anyone doesn't see that.

Davis has never averaged more than 24 mpg in his career, there are reasons for that. Give him 24 and Hill 24 and we are fine, neither have proved the durability to play much more.

one of them will likely miss a few games with injuries. I agree with the 24/24 split. Go with the hot hand.
rustyray
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Actually I think Davis at 5 and Hill at 4 would be best... for now, until I hope Randle will live up to my hype
boozer should lead the second unit with Ronnie price and SwaggyP

I would like to see Coach Scott try this.

Defensively and rebounding wise it makes a ton of sense. If they had a better small forward who could score the ball they could do this.

Davis is not an offensive threat outside of hustle stuff, put backs and lobs...but he provides size, length and energy....all things Boozer doesn't supply.

I could see Coach Scott doing the same thing to Boozer that Tibs did in Chicago...bench him down the stretch for someone who can D up and rebound.

If the Lakers can score enough it could be a nice effective way to make up for not having a real C.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject:

I actually think Jordan Hill is doing a decent job. He's rebounding, and hitting a good percentage of shots. He's playing ok defense but asking him to defend guys much bigger and stronger than him and to block shots is something he's not physically suited for.

I think the Lakers problems is that they have too many Power Forwards.

Boozer, Hill, Davis, Randle, Kelly and non of them are really complete players....Randle may be the closest to some day being a complete player.

Davis, I heard, is 6'10 and has "hops" so of all those PFs he is best suited to play some center.

Randle is the future.

Kelly seems to be always hurt at least this year (but strained hammys are not major)

Boozer, Hill and Kelly....I do not dislike any of them as they all have pros and cons to their games but it seems like one of them needs to go....

Get a real center and/or a decent Small Forward.

I know, this has all been said before.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject:

since1991 wrote:
Boozer/Hill/Wes frontcourt has to be the worst starting frontcourt in NBA
It's the worst starting frontcourt in Laker history, but this is what the front office wants.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject:

It's still amazing how we went from:

Pau/Bynum/Odom to
Pau/Dwight/Jamison to
Pau/Kaman/Hill to
Hill/Boozer/Davis/Randle.

Yikes.
magickobe24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
It's still amazing how we went from:

Pau/Bynum/Odom to
Pau/Dwight/Jamison to
Pau/Kaman/Hill to
Hill/Boozer/Davis/Randle.

Yikes.

not really.

pau/odom = cp3 deal nixed (killed pau and odom in one swoop more or less)
pau was aging out
bynum=knees- you crash into a big mans knees twice and he has two major surgeries. its bound to happen at some point where the guy just cant go.

dwight- some of us knew better from the get go but we had to get rid of no knees drew.

kaman is ok but still isnt a good defender outside of a few weakside shot blocks and when he's on downlow when he's not on he's terrible. we didnt lose much there.

We were not the worse team in the nba so we couldnt get the supposed "next one" big in the kid from kanas(who also has an injury history already. So we got the next best big in the draft. Randle. and got booz for super cheap. even an old man booz is worth more then that. davis(sleeper pickup). Hill stayed and got paid so we can flip him in a trade if a trade comes along.

its not like how i felt when we went from shaq to Brian Grant and LO. Now that was tough to deal with.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: How will B Scott handle Randle/Davis being obviously better than Boozer/Hill?

I'm worried that Byron will defer to vets all year despite the fact that the former duo is way better than the latter. Don't get me wrong, Boozer is certainly serviceable but he shouldn't be the starter. And, while Hill is a decent rebounder and offensive threat, Randle already looks way better and Davis has better chemistry with our probable starting PG in Lin.

We know MB and MDA would likely keep Davis/Randle on the bench, but Scott seems to have a slightly more common sense approach to the game than those two.

Will he play the best lineups, or defer to the veterans/guys making the most money?

In my opinion, we should be starting a lineup that looks something like this:

Lin
Kobe
Wes
Randle
Davis

That's a far more balanced lineup than Lin/Kobe/Wes/Boozer/Hill. Lin and Hill have no chemistry, and Hill's defense is terrible (he also sets poor screens). Boozer is ok offensively, but again, no defense, and no chemistry with Lin. That leaves Lin and Kobe as the two creators, but defenses can gameplan for that all day everyday. With Randle, Lin, and Kobe as playmakers, and with the Lin/Davis PnR always available, teams will have a much tougher time defending us. Plus, Randle plays with the kind of physicality I like to see, and Davis defends the rim extremely effectively.

Our bench can be led by Clarkson, Swaggy, Boozer, and Hill. This gives us the best chance to compete with other team's starting lineups, whereas benching guys like Randle and Davis likely puts us in a hole from the very beginning. With Boozer and Swaggy on the bench, we have enough power there to maintain leads against second units, whereas before they'd be tasked with making huge comebacks.

I think the difference between starting Randle/Davis as opposed to Boozer/Hill could mean the difference between breaking into the playoffs and being on the outside looking in. I hope Scott makes the right decision.

Last edited by Don Draper on Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How will B Scott handle Randle/Davis being obviously better than Boozer/Hill?

Don Draper wrote:
I'm worried he'll defer to vets all year despite the fact that the former duo is way better than the latter. Don't get me wrong, Boozer is certainly serviceable but he shouldn't be the starter. And, while Hill is a decent rebounder and offensive threat, Randle already looks way better and Davis has better chemistry with our probable starting PG in Lin.

We know MB and MDA would likely keep Davis/Randle on the bench, but Scott seems to have a slightly more common sense approach to the game than those two.

Will he play the best lineups, or defer to the veterans/guys making the most money?

In my opinion, we should be starting a lineup that looks something like this:

Lin
Kobe
Wes
Randle
Davis

That's a far more balanced lineup than Lin/Kobe/Wes/Boozer/Hill. Lin and Hill have no chemistry, and Hill's defense is terrible (he also sets poor screens). Boozer is ok offensively, but again, no defense, and no chemistry with Lin. That leaves Lin and Kobe as the two creators, but defenses can gameplan for that all day everyday. With Randle, Lin, and Kobe as playmakers, and with the Lin/Davis PnR always available, teams will have a much tougher time defending us. Plus, Randle plays with the kind of physicality I like to see, and Davis defends the rim extremely effectively.

Our bench can be led by Clarkson, Swaggy, Boozer, and Hill. This gives us the best chance to compete with other team's starting lineups, whereas benching guys like Randle and Davis likely puts us in a hole from the very beginning. With Boozer and Swaggy on the bench, we have enough power there to maintain leads against second units, whereas before they'd be tasked with making huge comebacks.

What do you all think? I think the difference between starting Randle/Davis as opposed to Boozer/Hill could mean the difference between breaking into the playoffs and being on the outside looking in. I hope Scott makes the right decision.

Honestly, I think the main reason those two have not been interested in the starting lineup yet is because the lack of scorers on our 2nd unit. I expect both of them to start when nick young returns so he could provide that scoring punch that our 2nd unit currently does not have
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Frankly, there are more important considerations than the optimal starting lineup. Manu Ginobili is better than Danny Green.

I hope Randle comes off the bench, until he is bursting at the seams on the verge of a breakout.

I'm indifferent on Hill or Davis. I like Hill much better as a rebounder but I love davis' interior presence.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Frankly, there are more important considerations than the optimal starting lineup. Manu Ginobili is better than Danny Green.

I hope Randle comes off the bench, until he is bursting at the seams on the verge of a breakout.

I'm indifferent on Hill or Davis. I like Hill much better as a rebounder but I love davis' interior presence.

Our Manu is Nick Young! Young > Wes
lakerpr
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't surprised BS keep all the young/better players in the second unit. He is old school.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Damn, thread got merged. Mine was more focused on Byron's coaching but I guess this works.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Damn, thread got merged. Mine was more focused on Byron's coaching but I guess this works.

One thing's for sure, the 2nd unit won't be able to handle more than two of Lin,Randle,Young. So Lin better be starting when Young returns, or else someone's game is getting mitigated - could stunt Randle's development; that would not be enough touches for him.

Personally I'd keep Randle in the 2nd unit 70% of the time, so he doesn't have Kobe breathing down his back when he misses shots; potentially leading to Randle shooting less/confidence issues. He needs to grow as a green lighted player
JJack
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Davis/Hill for starter, best 2 post players of the team, you start and finish with your best players.
Booz a better defender than hill but far inferior on rebound, Randle the 2nd best on DReb% and his athleticism and hustle complement booz well on 2nd Unit.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8
Jump to: