View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
shansen008 wrote:
Im a huge movie buff, this is hard.

Saving Private Ryan has to be high on anyones list.

There will be Blood. Daniel Day-Lewis, one of the most underrated actors of any generation.

Lost in Translation. Dont judge.

Braveheart.

I hate this thread. I love movies way too much to ever pick one as my favorite, and i dont think anyone on earth is qualified to choose 1 movie as best. How do you choose best art?

The opening 20 minutes was amazing. Then it devolved into typical Spielberg hokum. The great and terrible thing about any SS film is that you don't have to think about which emotion to feel, it's predetermined. He hits you so hard upside the head with the emotion you're supposed that it's kind if hard to take him seriously. Did you think that little French girl was really in danger? He's good, not great. Scorsese is great.

War Horse lol
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject:

Mine changes depending on how I am feeling. But Training Day shows up in the rotation a lot lately. But I may have do drop it cuz i just watched Flight again.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
shansen008 wrote:

There will be Blood. Daniel Day-Lewis, one of the most underrated actors of any generation.

Braveheart.

I hate this thread. I love movies way too much to ever pick one as my favorite, and i dont think anyone on earth is qualified to choose 1 movie as best. How do you choose best art?

The opening 20 minutes was amazing. Then it devolved into typical Spielberg hokum. The great and terrible thing about any SS film is that you don't have to think about which emotion to feel, it's predetermined. He hits you so hard upside the head with the emotion you're supposed that it's kind if hard to take him seriously. Did you think that little French girl was really in danger? He's good, not great. Scorsese is great.

War Horse lol

http://www.dreamworksstudios.com/films/war-horse

KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Mine changes depending on how I am feeling. But Training Day shows up in the rotation a lot lately. But I may have do drop it cuz i just watched Flight again.

Just saw flight for the first time. First movie that wasn't for children I have seen in quite a while. Denzel's story arc was great. His performance was very good. I thought the John Goodman character and his music was a terrible addition to the movie. It just didn't fit, and the relationship with the woman was too flimsy. And leaving him alone 12 hours before the hearing was where I had to finally stop suspending disbelief.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:

Just saw flight for the first time. First movie that wasn't for children I have seen in quite a while. Denzel's story arc was great. His performance was very good. I thought the John Goodman character and his music was a terrible addition to the movie. It just didn't fit, and the relationship with the woman was too flimsy. And leaving him alone 12 hours before the hearing was where I had to finally stop suspending disbelief.

I think they hired Goodman for the movie and then didn't know what to do with him so they came up with a cartoon character. Denzel's performance of the bloated drunk/stoned pilot was pretty incredible. It was like having to play the old bloated Elvis.

I think the woman's story was about how alcoholic drug addicts can decide someone else needs rehab, but they are fine. I played that part once.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject:

shansen008 wrote:

Braveheart.

No judgments on favorites. Totally subjective. My favorite movie wouldnt make my top 25 best movies list, but the heart wants what it wants.

Fwiw, hard for a guy who routinely is listed as the greatest current actor, and whose entire persona seems based on dragging his tortured artist routine out in public regularly lest we all forget, hard to call ddl underrated.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Plan 9 From Outer Space

I see what you did there. How about "Demon Rage?"
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
shansen008 wrote:

Braveheart.

No judgments on favorites. Totally subjective. My favorite movie wouldnt make my top 25 best movies list, but the heart wants what it wants.

Fwiw, hard for a guy who routinely is listed as the greatest current actor, and whose entire persona seems based on dragging his tortured artist routine out in public regularly lest we all forget, hard to call ddl underrated.

FWIW, hard for a guy who is routinely listed as one of the top 10 players to ever play the game and whose entire persona is based on making the impossible happen, yet, there Kobe sits, underrated.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Moses wrote:
My all-time favorite is Man On Fire.

Denzel is my favorite actor, and I loved his performance in that movie.

The fact that he was down and out with practically nothing to live for until a little girl befriends him and kinda brings him back to life is kinda heartwarming, then the brutal revenge he takes on anyone responsible for her kidnapping is awesome. The the end is so sad, gets me every time.

And it was a far better performance than his Oscar turn in Training Day.

Absolutely. And it also welcomed Dakota Fanning as a truly remarkable actress as well. Their respective performances were amazing.

Agree it was definitely a better performance than his Oscar winning Training Day role. I loved him in Training Day, and love that movie too, but he probably has a few performances in his career better than that (namely The Hurricane, John Q, Man on Fire, American Gangster, Remember The Titans).

Dakota Fanning was great in the movie too.

On the subject of Denzel, really enjoyed his latest movie The Equalizer, recommend that to anyone who was thinking of seeing it. Has a similar element to Man on Fire in that he is after revenge and a master of messing people up, very entertaining.
NickF
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject:

Not sure I can watch the Equalizer movie after having watched the tv show, loved the intro theme, Edward Woodward
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
24 wrote:

Believe it or not, his deposition scene in Malice is even better.

A - You have my attention.
I - I am interested.
D - I have made my decision for Christ.
A - I'm gonna order it on Netflix.

Same. Sick as a dog and slept the whole day away. Going to spend next few hours watching movies until I pass out again.

Which is better Netflix or Hula?

Two different things. Netflix is a streaming service. Hulu is a device that carries various streaming services (including Netflix).

What do you mean by device? I was about to sign up for the 1 week free trial. Would you advise it

I think Mike is confusing hulu with roku. Hulu is an online streaming service for TV channels. It has a bunch of networks and its own content. People tend to either really like it or really not. Give it a whirl and decide for yourself.

Yep. I'm confusing the two. Apologies. Who's Mike?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Plan 9 From Outer Space

Wow, I'm impressed! I had to look it up, but Demon Rage has all the elements that I look for in Z films:

1) Exploitation
2) Bad acting
3) "Well-known" film star with minor role in an effort to sell the name
4) Humorous premise
5) No less than three other film titles for the same movie! (Satan's Mistress, Fury of the Succubus and Dark Eyes)

I'll have to watch. I'm hoping for lots of gratuitous breast shots, demonic possession, and hopefully a lurid version of Rosemary's Baby.

Here's a clip you might enjoy:

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
24 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
24 wrote:

I - I am interested.

Same. Sick as a dog and slept the whole day away. Going to spend next few hours watching movies until I pass out again.

Two different things. Netflix is a streaming service. Hulu is a device that carries various streaming services (including Netflix).

What do you mean by device? I was about to sign up for the 1 week free trial. Would you advise it

I think Mike is confusing hulu with roku. Hulu is an online streaming service for TV channels. It has a bunch of networks and its own content. People tend to either really like it or really not. Give it a whirl and decide for yourself.

I'm not iterested in TV movies. I asking which is best to watch movies like, The Good The Bad And The Ugly, Jasons Lyrics. Full movies and the latest.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LADYNASTY
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject:

I might not have the sophisticated taste in movies like some here have. But I like to think I know a good film when I see it. While it's hard to argue with some of the movies mentioned, most of them are movies that I admire, but not movies I could sit down and watch every so often. So if I am thinking about my all time favorite movie in the context of not just great filmmaking, but also great entertainment, then my logical choice would have to be The Dark Knight.

Some may scoff at that. It's widely considered a great comic book film, but maybe not a great film in general. But no film has left a bigger impression on me then that one.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
24 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
24 wrote:

I - I am interested.

That was my autocorrect confusing Mule with Mike.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
24 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
24 wrote:

I - I am interested.

More like auto INcorrect. Am I right, Mike?

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
24 wrote:

I - I am interested.

^ Classic Mike

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Plan 9 From Outer Space

Wow, I'm impressed! I had to look it up, but Demon Rage has all the elements that I look for in Z films:

1) Exploitation
2) Bad acting
3) "Well-known" film star with minor role in an effort to sell the name
4) Humorous premise
5) No less than three other film titles for the same movie! (Satan's Mistress, Fury of the Succubus and Dark Eyes)

I'll have to watch. I'm hoping for lots of gratuitous breast shots, demonic possession, and hopefully a lurid version of Rosemary's Baby.

Here's a clip you might enjoy:

Awesome clip!

Demon Rage is truly the worst movie I have ever seen. It's so bad that it passed so bad it's good territory.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject:

Well I guess DMR just got a new nickname. Might be confusing when he and Mike @ LG are in the same thread
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Well I guess DMR just got a new nickname. Might be confusing when he and Mike ( a t ) LG are in the same thread

Yep. It's high time for Mike (@) LG to change his username. From now on we could refer to him as "Nick".

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:

Goodman has been the loud, brash, comedic buddy in movies since the late 80s. Over and over. He was already IN one with Denzel before this, it was terrible too. Ever see Sea Of Love with Pacino? Same thing. Horrible (fleeped) movie, Al was putrid too. Saw some Dreyfuss movie called Always off of netflix about a year ago. It was a Spielberg flick that I hadn't heard of (now I know why). Damned if he wasn't in there playing the same role, just younger. Same weight, but younger. There was a scene where he stripped all the meat off a chicken leg with one bite like it was a Tootsie pop. He put it in his mouth and pulled the bone out.

Denzel's relationship with the piece of tail in the beginning wasn't believable, looking fat and juicy like Tom Hanks in the first half of Cast Away, but his relationship with the second one was less believable.
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject:

The Sting
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
24 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
24 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
24 wrote:

I - I am interested.

More like auto INcorrect. Am I right, Mike?

Is this Mic on?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6
Jump to: