Jeanie Buss "Any free agent that is afraid to play with Kobe is probably a loser"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Cancun Van Exel wrote:
24 wrote:
Cancun Van Exel wrote:
Counting the days til Jeanie and Mitch are running the franchise.

You can quit counting. Jeanie is in charge and Mitch is the GM.

Let me clarify:

Jeanie: kitchen (j/k)
Mitch: same role
Jim: behind the scene counting money
Pat Riley: basketball

fixed
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
you guys like love the bravado all you want, fact is Lakers is the biggest loser if no one wants to come here because of Kobe.

You've already said you're the "real fan" who isn't going to bother with this season because we're going to suck so why are you still here?

Preach Brother

I'm surprised he isn't banned yet not a true Laker fan that's here to troll and bash Kobe.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Cancun Van Exel wrote:
24 wrote:
Cancun Van Exel wrote:

Let me clarify:

Jeanie: Business
Mitch: Basketball
Jim: back in horse racing

Won't happen.

Yep. If anyone thinks that Jim Buss is going to step down, I got a really nice bridge in Brooklyn I can sell ya.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Nightwalker wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
you guys like love the bravado all you want, fact is Lakers is the biggest loser if no one wants to come here because of Kobe.

You've already said you're the "real fan" who isn't going to bother with this season because we're going to suck so why are you still here?

Preach Brother

I'm surprised he isn't banned yet not a true Laker fan that's here to troll and bash Kobe.

"real fan" is a label mods have said is not appropriate. I posted to SVG he impressed me as a troll.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Cancun Van Exel wrote:
24 wrote:
Cancun Van Exel wrote:

Let me clarify:

Jeanie: Business
Mitch: Basketball
Jim: back in horse racing

Won't happen.

Yep. If anyone thinks that Jim Buss is going to step down, I got a really nice bridge in Brooklyn I can sell ya.

I have one that connects Long Beach and San Pedro.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Cancun Van Exel wrote:
24 wrote:
Cancun Van Exel wrote:

Let me clarify:

Jeanie: kitchen (j/k)
Mitch: same role
Jim: behind the scene counting money
Pat Riley: basketball

fixed

WTF has pat riley done ot have basketball in his hand? cause Lebron/Bosh and Wade decided to play together?

jesus go home troll
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject:

King beef wrote:
pmacla wrote:
King beef wrote:
JayLida wrote:
King beef wrote:
That was a stupid comment by Jeanie. When she used the word "afraid", she created a straw man, she went above and beyond to protect her cash cow. THat is the perception. It proves a lot of what many players had a problem with to begin with. No, not that they are "afraid", but that if you go to the Lakers and you dont win then everyone is going to protect Kobe and blame you.

No way, one man's opinion I guess. I'm looking at the big picture here. The BSPN article was trash to begin with. With so many people refuting the article, I think Jeanie knows that. I have no problem with her comments. If free agents who are afraid of doing what it takes to win championships and use Kobe as an excuse then Jeanie is correct. They are losers and never will win with that type of attitude. They certainly don't need to wear the purple and gold.

I said the comment was stupid because I think Jeanie is implying somethat that someone in her position should not be implying. We could imply that all day long, but who are we? In her position, she shouldnt speak like such a fan of a player who I personally think could only play with second fiddle kind of mentalities (Artest, Odom, Gasol, etc) at this point in his career. Just my opinion.

I believe you are not hearing the whole quote, I believe she said if a Free Agent wont sign with the Lakers ONLY because he is a afraid to play with Kobe then he is a loser

she didnt say if a free agent doesnt want to sign because of KObe he is a loser key difference I have no problem with what she said and applaud her shows strength in ownership

And there is the straw man. "Only because he is afraid to play with Kobe", who is that? She created a straw man in order to protect her guy. That is my point. I dont think a top flight player is going to want to go to the Lakers if they feel that Kobe, at 36, is still the king. No top flight player is going to want to be the whipping boy/scape goat to a city in which many people worship Kobe Bryant.

Furthermore, I think a lot of free agents wanted to see that the Lakers had a plan. IMHO, KObe at 25 million a year says that you dont have a plan.

you cant see past your own agenda, what Jeanie said was perfect and the Laker pr staff is a great one, by saying any FA who is afraid of playing with Kobe, she alienates no FA's because no FA will ever say they where and she shuts up the dumb critisizers like Abbot, but in the same breathe she shows that she is an owner that will protect her players from any attack in the media, the kind of owner you wanna play for.

and giving Kobe 25 mil a year was a great plan, only 2 FA worth max this year werent coming, you spread goodwill to a legend and showed the league this is what you do when you are part of our family.

His contract is not an albatros next year when no good FA are on market and then is off the books

I get you dont like Kobe or his contract but get past your own agenda and realize what really was said and why it was said rather than come back with non factual posts
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject:

King beef wrote:
That was a stupid comment by Jeanie. When she used the word "afraid", she created a straw man, she went above and beyond to protect her cash cow. THat is the perception. It proves a lot of what many players had a problem with to begin with. No, not that they are "afraid", but that if you go to the Lakers and you dont win then everyone is going to protect Kobe and blame you.

Sorry, but this is a load of (bleep). Kobe is the first person blamed when something goes wrong (even by supposed Laker fans) and has been for 10+ years.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Dominator wrote:
King beef wrote:

Sorry, but this is a load of (bleep). Kobe is the first person blamed when something goes wrong (even by supposed Laker fans) and has been for 10+ years.

who took blame for the air balls in the playoffs vs the Jazz?
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Gwyn wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
way to alienate more possible free agents. The only losers I see now are the Lakers with their back to back lottery bound team.

Lakers don't strive to get (bleep) chumps.

Not to mention that KobeDunk's comment makes no sense because any player who would be offended by the comment wasn't going to come to the Lakers anyway.

I found her comment as immature and out of place. As the owner and president of a top class organization like the Lakers she should have restrained from addressing the article all together. Do you think Dr.Buss would have blurted out such a silly response to it? I highly doubt it.

Who cares what the idiot from ESPN said. Are we going to jump on every negative article now? If anything she brought more attention to it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Gwyn wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
way to alienate more possible free agents. The only losers I see now are the Lakers with their back to back lottery bound team.

Not to mention that KobeDunk's comment makes no sense because any player who would be offended by the comment wasn't going to come to the Lakers anyway.

I found her comment as immature and out of place. As the owner and president of a top class organization like the Lakers she should have restrained from addressing the article all together. Do you think Dr.Buss would have blurted out such a silly response to it? I highly doubt it.

Who cares what the idiot from ESPN said. Are we going to jump on every negative article now? If anything she brought more attention to it.

She was showing support for Kobe. I think Dr Buss would have done the same thing. When you bash Kobe you bash the organization, he's the face.

DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject:

I do think lots of players do not want to play with Kobe. Shaq was one. Dwight woulda tried it out longer and stayed had the guy who brought them all those rings been the medium between the clashing forces.
Guys who would play with Kobe respects him and would defer despite their superior skill at this stage of Kobe's career - Melo, LBJ, durant could easily mesh with Kobe. They all know it's a team game and not being #1 option doesn't bother them. With Dwight, it does. hence the "rings" leader.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Why was any of this necessary? I've only watched the first take set so far and she didn't even state certain clear points that could have set everything straight. She sounds more like a fan on LG than a person who actually is in the inside.

1) Jerry Buss' ultimate decision to hire D'antoni (a lot of you guys are going to just balk at this). If anything (she even admits this) the talk of Phil Jackson was brought up by the evil Jim Buss himself. He was the one who asked her is he available. I could be wrong, but there's always been a lukewarm relationship between Jerry and Phil. It would make sense that Jerry would not want Phil having any more power than coaching after his death.

2) No talk of the CBA limiting the Lakers, which is a big reason Melo did not come to the Lakers. No talk about him getting paid more in NY. Not much incentive to come here due to the CBA.

3) She reiterates this notion that D'antoni's offense doesn't fit Dwight. I guess we'll agree to disagree. He got plenty of touches in the post that year. The stats back it up. He just wasn't efficient. He wouldn't have even been the focal point in the triangle. There were a multitude of reasons for Dwight leaving, but I am positive the main reason was Kobe Bryant being there. I understand she can't say that/doesn't want to say that so blaming D'antoni is the easy way out.

All of this was unnecessary to be honest. I would've preferred for them not to have said anything. They don't need to answer to a Henry Abbott article.

A lot of you guys might not agree with this stuff since it's popular to bag on Jim with any real evidence, but it's all good.

On another note, I don't mean to offend, but does anyone get a ditsy vibe from her whenever she talks? . The stuttering, the not looking them in their eyes, etc, she seems nervous in all her interviews. It's probably just her personality (shy?). Overall, she sounds more of a fan than a person who knows the ins and outs of basketball operations. She's great on the business sides of things.

Hey who would've thought, maybe Dr. Jerry Buss knew what he was doing when setting specific jobs for certain people .
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Gwyn wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:

Ordinarily I think you would have a great point. The Lakers FO has been known to keep their mouth shut in the face of criticism, even taking blows from the media.

But I get the sense that Jeannie thought this was way below the belt and as an organization, she felt the need to respond. Lakers are on hard times right now, having been spurned by big free agents (when the FO had pumped 2014 free agency for a while). It was a "enough is enough" moment to protect the franchise's brand.
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Nightwalker wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Preach Brother

"real fan" is a label mods have said is not appropriate. I posted to SVG he impressed me as a troll.

Alright. I will not be using that word here again then.
King beef
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
King beef wrote:
pmacla wrote:
King beef wrote:
JayLida wrote:
King beef wrote:

No way, one man's opinion I guess. I'm looking at the big picture here. The BSPN article was trash to begin with. With so many people refuting the article, I think Jeanie knows that. I have no problem with her comments. If free agents who are afraid of doing what it takes to win championships and use Kobe as an excuse then Jeanie is correct. They are losers and never will win with that type of attitude. They certainly don't need to wear the purple and gold.

I said the comment was stupid because I think Jeanie is implying somethat that someone in her position should not be implying. We could imply that all day long, but who are we? In her position, she shouldnt speak like such a fan of a player who I personally think could only play with second fiddle kind of mentalities (Artest, Odom, Gasol, etc) at this point in his career. Just my opinion.

I believe you are not hearing the whole quote, I believe she said if a Free Agent wont sign with the Lakers ONLY because he is a afraid to play with Kobe then he is a loser

she didnt say if a free agent doesnt want to sign because of KObe he is a loser key difference I have no problem with what she said and applaud her shows strength in ownership

And there is the straw man. "Only because he is afraid to play with Kobe", who is that? She created a straw man in order to protect her guy. That is my point. I dont think a top flight player is going to want to go to the Lakers if they feel that Kobe, at 36, is still the king. No top flight player is going to want to be the whipping boy/scape goat to a city in which many people worship Kobe Bryant.

Furthermore, I think a lot of free agents wanted to see that the Lakers had a plan. IMHO, KObe at 25 million a year says that you dont have a plan.

you cant see past your own agenda, what Jeanie said was perfect and the Laker pr staff is a great one, by saying any FA who is afraid of playing with Kobe, she alienates no FA's because no FA will ever say they where and she shuts up the dumb critisizers like Abbot, but in the same breathe she shows that she is an owner that will protect her players from any attack in the media, the kind of owner you wanna play for.

and giving Kobe 25 mil a year was a great plan, only 2 FA worth max this year werent coming, you spread goodwill to a legend and showed the league this is what you do when you are part of our family.

His contract is not an albatros next year when no good FA are on market and then is off the books

I get you dont like Kobe or his contract but get past your own agenda and realize what really was said and why it was said rather than come back with non factual posts

You should stop saying that people who dont agree with you have an agenda. We have differing opinions. I am simply stating how I think Jeanie came across. She sounded too much like a fan to me and that is very much what I think discourages other players from coming to L.A.

No one knows what Dwights health was and as a city, generally no one cared. That is not good. All anyone knows is that Dwight didnt help Kobe or at least that is the perception of the situation outside L.A., and Dwight got slammed for it. Management is supposed to be more impartial than what I think Jeanie showed in that interview.

Think about it, if you have a three year plan and KObe is tied up for 2 at about 35% of the cap, what do outside players think?
King beef
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Dominator wrote:
King beef wrote:

That is not what I have seen, especially not in Los Angeles. Even after that Phoenix game where he tried to prove a point, he didnt get the blame he deserved out of L.A. IMHO. Instead I heard, "Kobe was right and management went and got Gasol because of it". In L.A. the perception is Kobe could do no wrong and sometimes perception is reality.
King beef
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
Dominator wrote:
King beef wrote:

Wow, going back to the rookie year? 17 years ago? Thanks for making my point.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

King beef wrote:
pmacla wrote:
Dominator wrote:
King beef wrote:

Wow, going back to the rookie year? 17 years ago? Thanks for making my point.

goes to show how long Kobe been getting the blame
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

King beef wrote:
pmacla wrote:
King beef wrote:
pmacla wrote:
King beef wrote:
JayLida wrote:
King beef wrote:

You should stop saying that people who dont agree with you have an agenda. We have differing opinions. I am simply stating how I think Jeanie came across. She sounded too much like a fan to me and that is very much what I think discourages other players from coming to L.A.

No one knows what Dwights health was and as a city, generally no one cared. That is not good. All anyone knows is that Dwight didnt help Kobe or at least that is the perception of the situation outside L.A., and Dwight got slammed for it. Management is supposed to be more impartial than what I think Jeanie showed in that interview.

Think about it, if you have a three year plan and KObe is tied up for 2 at about 35% of the cap, what do outside players think?

There's nothing wrong with sounding like a fan. You should try it sometime.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject:

but you hate Kobe and are defending Dwight Howard of all people on a Lakers board lol I think that alone shows what your intentions are in a post of this subject
King beef
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
but you hate Kobe and are defending Dwight Howard of all people on a Lakers board lol I think that alone shows what your intentions are in a post of this subject

I am not defending Howard. It is too bad that is what you took away from what I said. THe world isnt one way. Because I dont bash Howard, it doesnt mean I am defending him. I am stating what I think the rest of the NBA saw. I think they saw a guy who is generally in great shape, who was hurt and unable to produce the way he generally does and the city of Los Angeles bashed his head in for it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject:

LINK

King beef
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

Dominator wrote:
King beef wrote:
pmacla wrote:
King beef wrote:
pmacla wrote:
King beef wrote:
JayLida wrote:
King beef wrote:

There's nothing wrong with sounding like a fan. You should try it sometime.

When you are management and egos are involved, I think there is something wrong with sounding like too much of a fan.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

King beef wrote:
pmacla wrote:

I am not defending Howard. It is too bad that is what you took away from what I said. THe world isnt one way. Because I dont bash Howard, it doesnt mean I am defending him. I am stating what I think the rest of the NBA saw. I think they saw a guy who is generally in great shape, who was hurt and unable to produce the way he generally does and the city of Los Angeles bashed his head in for it.

looks like Dwight's mouthpiece that wanna be sports journalist posts here lol
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 9 of 18
Jump to: