Article: Lakers will win 22 games, finish last in West
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject:

lkjhf wrote:
everyone is magically healthy (despite byron's caveman practice methods) and the team bites and claws and struggles to an 8th seed, then gets effortlessly waxed by the spurs in the first round

vs.

team is trash, gets to keep the pick

Or, we fight VALIANTLY all season, with guys healthy, and our young players developing nicely. Just miss the playoffs, get a lottery pick and somehow we get a top 3 pick...
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject:

tom wrote:
Agree with the article. Lakers wont win more then 25 games this year. Not that's a bad thing. Since we will most likely keep our pick.

Would love to see you in the over/under bet thread. Or we could do it off line. How about I give you 10 bucks for every win they fall short of 25, and you give me 5 for every win over 25?
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject:

Articles like these will quickly disappear if the Lakers come out blazing out of the gates with a 14-3 record...... so there is nothing to worry about... these articles are meant to be made for money betting...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
Articles like these will quickly disappear if the Lakers come out blazing out of the gates with a 14-3 record...... so there is nothing to worry about... these articles are meant to be made for money betting...

Why not 17-0 if you're at it?
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject:

We're saving that for the playoffs
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:

Wow. lol
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject:

Bunch of ESPN clowns.

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject:

I'd rather win 22 games than 35-40, though. If we're gonna be bad, I'd rather be bad all the way with a chance to keep our pick from going to the Suns. That said, I too think 35ish wins is our most likely scenario.
King beef
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject:

Real question, what does it hurt to win 15 games and get a top three pick in the draft?

Real question, what does it help to win 30 to 40 games?
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I don't get ESPN. So they have on prediction having us around 30 games. Then they have Doolittle with us at 22? Can't they at least agree to the predictive model when picking teams? How can you have competing predictions from the same organization?

You could ask the same for any studio broadcast team in any sport. Why do Bradshaw, Jimmy and Howie have different predictions each week? What would ESPN First Take be if it was just Bayless and SAS echoing the company's position?Why do all ESPN journalists get to make their own playoff predictions? Should they all agree on one before playoffs? Or just vote? What kind of "prediction" would that produce?

Shouldn't ESPN/Fox/CBS/Et al be allowing multiple personalities to make their own judgments?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I don't get ESPN. So they have on prediction having us around 30 games. Then they have Doolittle with us at 22? Can't they at least agree to the predictive model when picking teams? How can you have competing predictions from the same organization?

You could ask the same for any studio broadcast team in any sport. Why do Bradshaw, Jimmy and Howie have different predictions each week? What would ESPN First Take be if it was just Bayless and SAS echoing the company's position?Why do all ESPN journalists get to make their own playoff predictions? Should they all agree on one before playoffs? Or just vote? What kind of "prediction" would that produce?

Shouldn't ESPN/Fox/CBS/Et al be allowing multiple personalities to make their own judgments?

Those guys are "across the sports platforms" guys. But this is from the ESPN's NBA department. One set of prediction and another from same. That's what I'm pointing out. If SAS has one prediction that's fine. But he's not strictly part of the ESPN-NBA group.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject:

I actually like Bradford Doolittle, but 22? That is absurdly low. That's 3 more than Philly won last year and they were trying to lose.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Those guys are "across the sports platforms" guys. But this is from the ESPN's NBA department. One set of prediction and another from same. That's what I'm pointing out. If SAS has one prediction that's fine. But he's not strictly part of the ESPN-NBA group.

What about when the ESPN-NBA department releases their playoff predictions? Should each writer be allowed their own or should they all get together and agree on/vote on one? How useful or fun would such a prediction be? Or should ESPN only have one staff writer?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

What about when the ESPN-NBA department releases their playoff predictions? Should each writer be allowed their own or should they all get together and agree on/vote on one? How useful or fun would such a prediction be? Or should ESPN only have one staff writer?

When they release it it's usually in an aggregate form which shows each contributor's respective picks (i.e., "Spurs WCF champs, Kevin Pelton...Spurs WCF champs, Brad Doolittle.").

ESPN had their series of predictions for teams, then they release another "insider" prediction which contradicts some of the other ESPN NBA predictions. Is that a great way to run the prediction department?
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject:

The advanced metrics community is still relatively new. Some are just starting to incorporate the SportsVu tech/analysis that's only a few years old. So I personally think it's cool to see a few different models deployed (Doolittle's ATH system, Pelton's SCHOENE system), including Haberstroh (who got to helm the ESPN predictions I think you're alluding to) who puts a lot of weight in Real Plus Minus.

Then you still have your Marc Steins and Adandes who go almost entirely off empirical gut, and maybe it's a coincidence that I'm decreasingly interested in what they have to say.

I think it's cool to get different predictions, even within the advanced metrics contingent. I don't know if it's the best way to run a "prediction department," though my guess would be that kind of stuff is spaced out if for no other purpose than to have new content every day. And being it's preseason, what else is there to publish other than predictions, especially when someone else already called the Kobe hatchet piece?
NickF
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Lakers win -5 games.
laserboy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject:

King beef wrote:
Real question, what does it hurt to win 15 games and get a top three pick in the draft?

Real question, what does it help to win 30 to 40 games?

I'd much rather have the Lakers walk onto the court each game with a winner's attitude and expect to crush our opponents, than to watch my team tank and game the system. Who the hell wants anything to do with losing.
ppineda
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Kobe Jocker wrote:
Who cares, The author doesn't even get LA's issues right. he says they'll have a decent offense, but horrible defense, when O is their biggest worry.

Lakers will win 50+ games, and be one of the Top 5 defenses. Kobe will be a 25/5/5 player, and possible MVP. This team reminds me of the Net teams Scott had in NJ. Not alot of size, but gutty, and a star to lead.

So, new coach, huge turnover in personnel. Second best play leaves. Best player coming off of injury. No good PG, and then a twenty game increase in wins? Not going to happen. I have the Lakers at 35-40 wins, at best.
kobe_somebody_odom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject:

I would take the over on 22 for sure and Vegas confirms that. It just seems way too low even for a pure hater. 28-34 seems about right to me.
hopandskip
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject:

This team will win way more than 22.

Team has chemistry even in its early stages. Will only get better as the season progresses.
24LaterMurus
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Man the media was way to kind with their predictions about Kobe and the Lakers season. Just goes to show even during tough times we will always be media's darlings. How else do we explain these ridiculously optimistic predictions along with the high amount of national TV exposure.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Hurts that BSPN was right, for the most part, again.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Lakers95 wrote:
Hurts that BSPN was right, for the most part, again.

Very much so.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:

Funny and sad at the same time
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject:

reality's a (bleep)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: