The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 154, 155, 156 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmills
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:
I think Randle could play the 3

His jumper would have to be WAAAY more consistent than it is now.

Randle hit like 3 jumpers in a row the other night. It's one game but he is starting to gain that consistency.

I'm no coach, but it looked to me like he was releasing the shot on the way up instead of at the apex of the jump.
RichD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

he'd post up SFs all day. we'd probly need a stretch 4

Ryan Kelly would be nice if he could get healthy. Davis, Kelly, Randle.?
Inverse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject:

RichD wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

Teams would put there SF on Kelly, so it doesnt really matter
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject:

Inverse wrote:
RichD wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

yea. it would probly only benefit Randle by being able to conserve energy on the other end ; not having to finish a defensive possession with a rebound.(at SF)
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject:

dmills wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

Randle hit like 3 jumpers in a row the other night. It's one game but he is starting to gain that consistency.

I'm no coach, but it looked to me like he was releasing the shot on the way up instead of at the apex of the jump.

Yeah there are things to fix with Randle's form but he's still making them. He has pretty much improved every game his ability to shoot from distance.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Inverse wrote:
RichD wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

Another problem would be transition D, especially if Randle is driving deep inside.
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject:

I love this youth movement the Lakers are finally started going into it. I mean sure there will be some bumps and struggles along the way with all young players, but the rookies will keep getting better and improve with time. The Lakers will be force once again eventually.
Inverse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject:

One thing i would like Julius to do is improve his movement off the ball. It seems as if he likes to take multiple possessions off. He has the size, strength, and quickness to be a lethal slasher, ala Antawn Jamison. But I guess that will come once he improves his stamina, since it does take a bunch of energy to be a slasher.
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Exum could still be amazing, as could a variety of other players. However, I will say that Randle has impressed me more than other any rookie I've seen play except Parker. Jabari might be the most NBA ready under 20 rookie I've ever seen. Certainly Randle is much better than I thought... which was apparent as soon as I saw him play in the summer league. His face up game and speed, which was rarely shown in college, changed everything.

Would you trade Randle for Parker straight up if the deal was on the table?

Yes
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject:

al242 wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Exum could still be amazing, as could a variety of other players. However, I will say that Randle has impressed me more than other any rookie I've seen play except Parker. Jabari might be the most NBA ready under 20 rookie I've ever seen. Certainly Randle is much better than I thought... which was apparent as soon as I saw him play in the summer league. His face up game and speed, which was rarely shown in college, changed everything.

Yes
I don't know. Parker is a SF with very suspect defense (terrible in fact). He's very polished on offense however. Randle is a unique PF that plays D suprisingly and has the highest ceiling in the draft with Exum and Wiggins.

All things being equal, i always feel that size and strength are the tiebreakers.
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
al242 wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Yes
I don't know. Parker is a SF with very suspect defense (terrible in fact). He's very polished on offense however. Randle is a unique PF that plays D suprisingly and has the highest ceiling in the draft with Exum and Wiggins.

All things being equal, i always feel that size and strength are the tiebreakers.

Honestly, Randle's defense is not much better if even at all. Reading these forums, all I hear about Randle's defense is that he has such high lateral quickness and the potential to guard SFs. Parker in my opinion is a sure 25+ ppg scorer in this league down the road, while Randle has the potential to be a 20/10 player (there is always that possibility that this never happens).
Dondre
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject:

Randle's really starting to ball these last couple of games, even faster than I expected. As far as all the Jabari talk, I could care less. Randle is our player and it stupid to compare and apple to an orange on another team.
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject:

idk why but randle reminds me of carmelo without the sweet J.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject:

Inverse wrote:
RichD wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

Good, that would be to the Laker's advantage. Kelly could then post up their SF. And Randle could take their PF out on the wing and cross him up.
Cancun Van Exel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject:

RichD wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

I'd love to see this on the offensive side but Kelly and the young buck together defensively might be an issue. It's rare for a 19 year old to be a + defender and Kelly isn't guarding Aldridge, Love or Griffin etc.
Cancun Van Exel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject:

Dondre wrote:
Randle's really starting to ball these last couple of games, even faster than I expected. As far as all the Jabari talk, I could care less. Randle is our player and it stupid to compare and apple to an orange on another team.

I think its fun to compare and discuss. I mean, it's an internet forum and people are sharing knowledge about someone in Milwaukee we might not see very often.
lakerbaker89
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Inverse wrote:
RichD wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

Good, that would be to the Laker's advantage. Kelly could then post up their SF. And Randle could take their PF out on the wing and cross him up.

This does sound very intriguing. When kelly gets back and healthy I would love to see Scott try out this experiment. In stretches I think it could be very beneficial. Randle has some very unique versatility that Lakers have not even begun to experiment with. I for one know I am going to enjoy the ride, watching him improve from game to game and learn from his mistakes.

An Kelly for a second round pick has a very polished offensive game for a big man. He would have gone higher in his draft, if he didn't have the foot(i think it was his foot) problems at Duke.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject:

al242 wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:
al242 wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Yes

Honestly, Randle's defense is not much better if even at all. Reading these forums, all I hear about Randle's defense is that he has such high lateral quickness and the potential to guard SFs. Parker in my opinion is a sure 25+ ppg scorer in this league down the road, while Randle has the potential to be a 20/10 player (there is always that possibility that this never happens).

Randle scored 17 points the other night in 24 mins. His potential is higher than 20/10.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject:

dmills wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

not a problem shooting wise. only problem is if he is consistently getting his shot blocked. shooting on the way up is perfectly fine as a shot mechanic, and many great shooters do this, steph curry for example.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject:

Inverse wrote:
RichD wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

Yes, if you had Kelly and Randle at the forward positions, teams would probably use their SF on Kelly.

Defensive Implications
Unless you were trying to cross match (generally not a good idea) that would create some defensive footspeed issues for Kelly. You would need a mobile anchor behind him. Davis as the third cog in that front court could handle that. With a trio of Randle, Davis (both of whom are pretty mobile) and Kelly, you can do a lot of switching among front court players.

Though not recognized as such, Kelly is an above average post defender against all but the burlyest of opposition (9' 2" standing reach with great fundamentals). Even then, Kelly is heady and can take a charge.

Offensive Implications
On the other end, Kelly has excellent post footwork, good touch around the rim and can pass off the block. What he lacks is the strength to post up PFs (think poor man's mini-Pau). If you are defending him with a smaller player, he becomes a potent offensive option, especially against 2nd units. Post offense requires shooters for spacing, so Randle has to be hitting his shot since Davis doesn't have range. Of course you would also need spacing from your guards. Young and Price are good if not great in this regard. But the key would be Randle.

At the same time, if Kelly is drawing help on the block and Randle's shot is falling, no PF in the league can close out on Randle and defend against the drive at the same time (too much speed, too much strength). Randle is also a quick decision maker and a good passer so he will move the ball on for the open look if the defender is there in rotation (assumes the help on Kelly comes from the PF which the offense can dictate).

Bottom line, if Randle can hit the 18-footer with regularity and Davis can do a little cleanup on the defensive end, Kelly/Randle/Davis are a potent combination.
lakerbaker89
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject:

I also wanted to say to the person who said they wanted to see Randle move off the ball better, I agree with this wholeheartedly. Maybe a testament to how much potential Randle has that he is so effective and still has so much room to grow. I am sure the coaching staff will work with him on seeing holes in the D and running to those spots, as well as slashing to the basket, instead of sitting on the perimeter when he is not involved in the play. I think as his stamina improves hopefully we will see more of this.

I think Randle's D is nowhere near as bad as people made it out to be. He needs to work on his rotations and team D, but he seems to be able to pretty easily stay in front of his man, even when guarding the SF from time to time. I like his anticipation like when he grabbed that alley out of the air, that was impressive to me. He is not perfect on D but not anywhere near how bad some scouts where making it seem.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject:

You can't handle Randle!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject:

i don't think Randal has the foot speed and quickness to keep up with the good SFs. again, i will have Hill coming off the bench. the guy is not starter, 30+min/game material. i'd start Boozer at center, sure he'll be undersized but it's not like we have many talented centers in the league anyway. if i remember clearly when Boozer was in Utah him and Millsap were on the floor the same time too for stretch of time.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject:

Teams are putting their 3's on Randle now when Roscoe Smith is on the floor, who has no post game or shooting range. Perhaps the thought around the league is to make him prove he can beat you in the post. It seems to be the area of his game that is the most raw at the moment, two post-up makes against Dorell Wright in the last game notwithstanding.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Teams are putting their 3's on Randle now when Roscoe Smith is on the floor, who has no post game or shooting range. Perhaps the thought around the league is to make him prove he can beat you in the post. It seems to be the area of his game that is the most raw at the moment, two post-up makes against Dorell Wright in the last game notwithstanding.

That plus you can see him and Davis taking those James Worthy post and footwork lessons to heart.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 154, 155, 156 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 155 of 1536
Jump to: