Lovely rant about Chinatown
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
LA Chinatown considered cleaner and better over SF. Giants fan despite saying she's from Los Angeles. Rants about seafood market despite SF being famous for another seafood market near the sea. (bleep) needs to be put in an 1800's era mental asylum.

The Chinatown in LA is smaller. It also has a Walmart as well....Most of the Chinese immigrants don't settle in Chinatown anymore. It is more of a tourist attraction these days. Most of the Chinese businesses left for the suburbs of LA like the SGV.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
New York's Chinatown is the worst. The streets are lined with garbage bags that rarely get picked up and stink to high heaven.

You should see the one in Lower Manhattan. Not only does it also have garbage bags that are never picked up, but the food isn't even good.

Yeah, thats the one I am talking about. And that bad Chinese food in the trash stinks.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
rwongega wrote:
LA Chinatown considered cleaner and better over SF. Giants fan despite saying she's from Los Angeles. Rants about seafood market despite SF being famous for another seafood market near the sea. (bleep) needs to be put in an 1800's era mental asylum.

The Chinatown in LA is smaller. It also has a Walmart as well....Most of the Chinese immigrants don't settle in Chinatown anymore. It is more of a tourist attraction these days. Most of the Chinese businesses left for the suburbs of LA like the SGV.

NYC has two Chinatown too. the touristy one in Manhattan and the one in Flushing where most new immigrant lives. The Manhattan one is comparable to LA Chinatown, but the Flushing one is not even close to the cleanness of our SGV ones.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Can we revoke her LA privileges? SF can keep her.

to be fair though LA Chinatown does appear way cleaner than SF and NYC's. I just came back from NYC, Chinatown in Flushing there made me felt like i landed in a 3rd world country.

LA's Chinatown is not as old as the SF or NY Chinatowns. Neither is it as dense as NY's or SF's Chinatowns. Plus its more diversified so you probably wouldn't know you were in Chinatown in some parts of it.

You guys should see DC's Chinatown. It's literally just American businesses with Chinese letters underneath and lousy takeout restaurants.

Looking at some pictures of the Washington DC, Chinatown it looks like it has a really elaborate arch to welcome you to that section of the town....but then you look at whats around it, its just Chinese letters on a Subway or Starbucks...
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

to be fair though LA Chinatown does appear way cleaner than SF and NYC's. I just came back from NYC, Chinatown in Flushing there made me felt like i landed in a 3rd world country.

LA's Chinatown is not as old as the SF or NY Chinatowns. Neither is it as dense as NY's or SF's Chinatowns. Plus its more diversified so you probably wouldn't know you were in Chinatown in some parts of it.

You guys should see DC's Chinatown. It's literally just American businesses with Chinese letters underneath and lousy takeout restaurants.

DC Chinatown is more like "Chinablock". It used to be better, then the owner of the Wizards demolished a whole section of it to build a Hooters.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

DC Chinatown is more like "Chinablock". It used to be better, then the owner of the Wizards demolished a whole section of it to build a Hooters.

Actually, Chinatown is where the Verizon Center (the Wizards' arena) is. There are always all sorts of crazy people outside the metro there. This past weekend there was a Jewish black supremacist group yelling about how God hates homosexuals and white males. The best part is, one of them was a white male.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Actually, Chinatown is where the Verizon Center (the Wizards' arena) is. There are always all sorts of crazy people outside the metro there. This past weekend there was a Jewish black supremacist group yelling about how God hates homosexuals and white males. The best part is, one of them was a white male.

you're exactly right, i was just there 3 weeks ago.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject:

shansen008 wrote:
tlim wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
tlim wrote:
Free_Kobe wrote:
CHING CHONG LING LONG TING TONG...

Seriously dude?

Unreal SMH

He's quoting a video.

I guess I should start quoting white slavers from Django Unchained then since it was in a movie? Or I could find another video that is just as abhorrent and quote from there?

If you like you can i guess, but only if you mean it as a dig to them, and not those they were referencing. Which is what i think Free_Kobe was doing.

Or maybe you got it right to be offended (easily i might add), and everyone else is wrong?

I'm going to shock everyone and agree with the first part of what you said (because the second part is unnecessary to your point). I think it was meant to mock the perpetrator in the video.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Ethnocentrism is a problem
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
shansen008 wrote:
tlim wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
tlim wrote:
Free_Kobe wrote:
CHING CHONG LING LONG TING TONG...

Seriously dude?

Unreal SMH

He's quoting a video.

I guess I should start quoting white slavers from Django Unchained then since it was in a movie? Or I could find another video that is just as abhorrent and quote from there?

If you like you can i guess, but only if you mean it as a dig to them, and not those they were referencing. Which is what i think Free_Kobe was doing.

Or maybe you got it right to be offended (easily i might add), and everyone else is wrong?

I'm going to shock everyone and agree with the first part of what you said (because the second part is unnecessary to your point). I think it was meant to mock the perpetrator in the video.

I agree, but I think there were much better ways to do that other than what was posted.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
New York's Chinatown is the worst. The streets are lined with garbage bags that rarely get picked up and stink to high heaven.

You should see the one in Lower Manhattan. Not only does it also have garbage bags that are never picked up, but the food isn't even good.

Yeah, thats the one I am talking about. And that bad Chinese food in the trash stinks.

That is the nastiest Chinatown, and that trash just sits out there piled high on the sidewalk rotting. How do those restaurants even get a B rating? I beg to differ about the food quality, Manhattan's Chinatown is pretty damn good. Not on a level with Vancouver or Hong Kong, but good.
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject:

This is why I'm not too sympathetic to other races complaining about racism toward themselves; they are just as racist as anyone toward other minorities.

Systematic injustices and harmful behavior aside, it's just a natural human condition for us to have in-group proclivities and exhibit hostility toward those who are perceived as outsiders.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

That is the nastiest Chinatown, and that trash just sits out there piled high on the sidewalk rotting. How do those restaurants even get a B rating? I beg to differ about the food quality, Manhattan's Chinatown is pretty damn good. Not on a level with Vancouver or Hong Kong, but good.

Chinese Restaurants, the lower the grade the better tasting the food is....
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject:

shnxx wrote:
This is why I'm not too sympathetic to other races complaining about racism toward themselves; they are just as racist as anyone toward other minorities.

Systematic injustices and harmful behavior aside, it's just a natural human condition for us to have in-group proclivities and exhibit hostility toward those who are perceived as outsiders.

I think you have to qualify that. Tribalism is natural, sure, but on its own is it really that harmful?

The Marxist interpretation of race is that it's a capitalist construct which was designed to justify slavery/colonialism abroad while preventing the proletariat class from mobilizing at home. Later, it was used to divide white/black workers from uniting together and fighting their exploiters.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
shnxx wrote:

I think you have to qualify that. Tribalism is natural, sure, but on its own is it really that harmful?

The Marxist interpretation of race is that it's a capitalist construct which was designed to justify slavery/colonialism abroad while preventing the proletariat class from mobilizing at home. Later, it was used to divide white/black workers from uniting together and fighting their exploiters.

Racial differences are not just social constructs.
There are substantive genetic differences, which manifest themselves in various physical traits.
And before someone says that these are small genetic differences, the differences (in terms of percentage of nucleotides in the genome) between chimps and humans are not large either.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: