Jeanie Buss "Any free agent that is afraid to play with Kobe is probably a loser"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Remember 7 years ago during the summer of the infamous Kobe trade demand?

Heisler had this so-called "insider" (whose identity he stubbornly refused to disclose) who fed him all this negative stuff about Kobe...basically blaming Kobe for driving Shaq away.

The leak itself provoked the whole trade demand and massive chaos ensued culminating with Bucher's bold claim that Kobe would never wear a Laker jersey again.

Anyways....did we ever learn the identity of the insider? Is it possible that Heisler's insider is the same individual as Abbott's insider? For years, I was convinced that the insider was Magic, but I longer think it was him.

I am really curious.

I speculated half jokingly a few days ago that the insider was Jimbo....but after Jeanie's response, and Jimbo's silence, I am rethinking things.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Just curious. Who in that analogy do you suppose left the driver's seat for the passenger seat??

Who do you think?

No clue. We've only had one driver who has never left his seat in over 10 years.
You say you have no clue I say http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-TV7ovGDvaWw/Tht9Vz88emI/AAAAAAAAAJ8/DoZh2XMgyxU/s1600/(bleep)+detector+1.gif you know exactly who I'm talking about.

Kobe? He hasn't left the driver's seat.

That's what Jeanie's saying. She doesn't want players who're not willing to challenge for the seat. Do me a favor. Dissect and absorb what Auissie said about getting into the passenger seat.

Kobe's willing. Jeanie wants players who have what it takes to accept the challenge of the drivers seat.

No, Kobe is not willing. He will remain in the driver's seat so long as he chooses. There are only two ways he will ever give up the driver's seat and that is if he gives it up willingly (which he hasn't done), or if someone forcibly removes him from it. Which I don't see happening.

Kobe's been preaching the "bringing the ball up" mantra for years now. Even if he really meant it this time, that isn't giving up the driver's seat. That's him allowing someone to shine the leather seat so he can drive more comfortably.

He is willing. He said he doesn't want to handle the ball as much.

He wanted to prime Dwight to be the Alpja. No rings Dwight wanted to do it his way.

If CP3 had come aboard he would have been able to do what he does best, shoot.

Nash would have filled the bill if he were physically able.

I felt the way you do until recently. I believe Kobe wants someone to keep the organization at an elite level. He'd defer to a player with the qualification and cojones to be a Laker Alph Dog.

You can say what Kobe would do in a hypothetical world. Kobe says a lot of things. But he has never said he is stepping down as leader of this team. So until then, he is the leader of this team.

And no, Nash did not fit the bill even when physically able. Another made up hypothetical. In his first game as a Laker, when he was physically able, he had only 4 assists in 34 minutes of play. Do you know the last regular season game where Nash had only 4 assists in at least 34 minutes of play? The last time that happened, Kobe had 3 rings to his name. Seriously.

Kobe has never deferred. That's what makes him an alpha dog. He complained of being a role player when he played with Shaq. An alpha dog by definition NEVER defers. That's a beta dog.

OK. So your hypothetical's are word, mine mean nothing. I claim a piece of the throne.

I didn't say he'd step aside as the teams leader, he'll always be that. I said he's willing to allow someone to drive the car. That means he will have less responsibility. I's a two steering wheel car, drivers ed.

Steve led the offense when he was physically fit. Kobe gave him the ball to bring up court, initiate the offense. When Steve went down there was no one else he trusted. He drove himself into the ground trying to keep the team afloat.

Relating to Shaq, he changed his game, deferred to him. His quarrel with Shaq was he wasn't willing to stay in shape. He still deferred. He played second fiddle.

Shaq and Kobe could have won more rings together if Shaq were willing to work off the court. They didn't really get along winning three rings and could have kept winning not getting along.

Shaq 4 ships, Kobe 5.

Shaq got himself traded when he ran down the court shouting to Dr Buss, pay me.

I thought Dr Buss traded the wrong player at first. I've since changed my position. Shaq's played on 6 teams, won one ship, chased rings to no avail.

Give Kobe another player of Shaq's caliber, he'd defer. If not that high a caliber one who shows potential.

Kobe's ready to retire. I don't think they'll win another ship during his tenure but I do believe he'll give it 200% effort.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:

Heisler had this so-called "insider" (whose identity he stubbornly refused to disclose) who fed him all this negative stuff about Kobe...basically blaming Kobe for driving Shaq away.

The leak itself provoked the whole trade demand and massive chaos ensued culminating with Bucher's bold claim that Kobe would never wear a Laker jersey again.

Anyways....did we ever learn the identity of the insider? Is it possible that Heisler's insider is the same individual as Abbott's insider? For years, I was convinced that the insider was Magic, but I longer think it was him.

I am really curious.

I speculated half jokingly a few days ago that the insider was Jimbo....but after Jeanie's response, and Jimbo's silence, I am rethinking things.

If you pay attention you would know that Jim is always silent.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

I am really curious.

If you pay attention you would know that Jim is always silent.

Maybe no thoughts pass through his head...

having fun...
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:

I am really curious.

You mean THIS Jim Buss?

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10038633/los-angeles-lakers-jim-buss-kobe-bryant-extension-right-thing-do

"We made him the highest-paid player in the NBA because we felt like it was the right thing to do. This wasn't about what somebody else would pay him or outbidding anyone for him.

"This was to continue his legacy [with the Lakers], our legacy of loyalty to our iconic players."

Buss said the decision to extend Bryant, and keep him as the highest-paid player in the NBA at ages 36 and 37, was an easy one for the Buss family.

"Loyalty is one of the values our dad instilled in us," he said. "It's how he ran the Lakers and how we aspire to continue to run the Lakers. It's what our fans and iconic players deserve."
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

I am really curious.

You mean THIS Jim Buss?

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10038633/los-angeles-lakers-jim-buss-kobe-bryant-extension-right-thing-do

"We made him the highest-paid player in the NBA because we felt like it was the right thing to do. This wasn't about what somebody else would pay him or outbidding anyone for him.

"This was to continue his legacy [with the Lakers], our legacy of loyalty to our iconic players."

Buss said the decision to extend Bryant, and keep him as the highest-paid player in the NBA at ages 36 and 37, was an easy one for the Buss family.

"Loyalty is one of the values our dad instilled in us," he said. "It's how he ran the Lakers and how we aspire to continue to run the Lakers. It's what our fans and iconic players deserve."

Well it's been said that the call to give Kobe the extension wasn't from Jimbo. I've heard that it was Jerry's wish, and I've also heard that Jeanie led the push for it too.
magickobe24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
magickobe24 wrote:
70sdude wrote:
pmacla wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Only time will tell how effective Jeannie's smarmy PR methods will prove out. Classless, though, very un-Laker.

If she wanted controversy redirected from the Nash news to herself, she's got it. If she wanted to do something to attract some key talent to her franchise, this doesn't seem like a good way to approach it. Not ... at ... all.

I have no problems with anything that Jeannie has done. She does some things differently than Dr. Buss would have, but she is a different person.

different media age too, Dr Buss lifestyle and way he spoke would get ripped to shreds by media and fans of today

Far from it. Find us one if those quotes - online - from Buss Sr that would rip him to shreds today. Own it.
70's, i see you have grown to be just as soft and scary as these new era fans.

you dont coddle FA's when it comes to signing with the lakers. You coddle Champions. only a TRUE Champion caliber superstar would not care about kobe bryant enough so to not play with him.

Think about this. ask yourself, is what jeanie said true or false? If its true, who would be offended? The people she's talking to. Any and everyone else will say "she aint talking about me so i would likely sign with the lakers with kobe or without kobe there if i could in the near future."

There are players out there that are very good. but not great. we need at minimum 2 greats. no room for 2nd tier ball players. not unless we already have 2 greats in place. that is the only way we can have the winning style like we're use to. do not care about pandering to 2nd tier stars that are afraid of kobe pushing them to the limits. you should never care about kobe "giving up the reigns" TAKE THEM. if you're not man enough to take them. YOU DONT DESERVE MAX pay. thats how i see it. and so does jeanie.

Well, if you and Jeannie are right (that it's the smart way to go, to challenge the league's best to step up to the challenge of wresting the steering wheel from Kobe), it's not starting out so well, is it ?

I do notice that the best "free agent" that came to play here last Summer was, ummm, hmmmm, errrr, ahhhh, unnnnhh ...

Boozer

He was claimed from amnesty waivers. We didn't get any hot shots. Booz is no alpha and he's not coming here voluntarily. No, I'd offer that he's no hearty recommendation for the ownership mindset which implements a PR methodology built towards intimidating potential star quality players to join one's club.

the plan is going great. we have not made the mistake of over paying for 2nd tier stars that dont have the toughness/fortitude to take the wheel from kobe.

See you like the others are still missing the point. the point isnt to sign the hottest FA out there right now. Because that guy may not be worth MAX money or those guys may not be worth MAX money. You make that mistake and will have to live with it for another 5+ years minimum. It's the equivalent of signing cedric ceballos to a Max contract. Do you want cedric as the face of your franchise for the next 5 years? i dont. So if you dont get cedric why would you be called a loser for not getting a 2nd tier star player? makes no sense.

And yes i'm saying melo's impact isnt much more then Ced's. tell me i'm wrong and prove it.

now. if you're too soft to take the reigns from kobe but you're not to soft for the L.A. fan base(gasol level). Then you can come on thru. we'll take you and pay you accordingly(not max). then we will still wait on mr Max.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
MorlockO wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
fan4life wrote:
Dwight just got served

Could be wrong but didn't Jeannie defend Dwight and say "we (as in Lakers) failed Dwight" as in to imply that Dad and a certain set of moves and inconsistencies in the FO led to his leaving? BTW, I don't think Dwight was ever afraid to play with Kobe. If he were, he would have killed a Laker trade right away. There's a huge difference in not wanting to play with Kobe and not liking to play with Kobe right away. Lamar Odom for example needed time to get used to playing with Kobe. Shaq the same. There's no reason if Kobe were in his prime, Dwight and he couldn't have had great success. You don't have to love each other to be able to play and be teammates. The decision Dwight faced was to play in the role of being the younger star leading a team that wasn't going anywhere since Kobe was past his prime and injured while MDA coached. It wasn't exactly say the same as 2006 where you'd have a prime Kobe and Phil coaching. I don't think Dwight or any FA walks under those circumstances no matter how much they don't get along with Kobe or mesh personality wise.

Good post. If Kobe were younger I think Howard stays, no matter the personality differences.

It was never about kobe... thats what the Media keep saying but Dwight never ever said it.

Dwight was asked by S A Smith, "If Lakers Hire Phil Jackson, would you have stayed" he answered "Yes" with out even blinking.

it was about the MDA hiring.

Dwight said it, Jeanie said it...

who would you believe.

Stephen A also said Kobe was the reason Dwight left. Since he's someone that talks to Kobe a lot and NEVER would say a bad word about him, I believe it.

All of the reports in Dwight's camp were that Dwight felt Phil would have reined Kobe in and allowed him to be the star. We all know that no matter who the coach was, it would have been Kobes team.

You need to stop with that false SAS would NEVER say a bad word about Kobe. Its a flat out lie. Just like the lie you kept saying that Smith was a Lakers fan. He was trashing Kobe in 2004-2005. Its not hard to look up.

I'm not lying, if SAS was ever trashing Kobe 10 years ago, I certainly don't remember that. He has been a huge supporter of Kobe and has always been one of the first ones to come to his defense in every controversy. Either way, we are talking about now, not 10 years ago.
THE_TWELFTH
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Wake up.

Her message was clear. She says "afraid to play with" and means "doesn't want to play with".

Perhaps. And don't get me wrong, I wasn't at all a proponent of her saying what she said the way she said it.

Maybe just hoping there was rhyme and reason to it, rather than just some emotional blab.

I disagree, but it does leave few reasons if fear is not a factor, to not want to play with a proven winner, who has shown the utmost dedication and professionalism to his craft over the past 2 decades. So, to me... the list is few and far between, If true at all, and is more of a "if the shoe fits, wear it" kind of statement.
It’s staring right at me, I must take advantage.

Juelz Santana - "The Second Coming"
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Page 18 of 18
Jump to: