Is Jeremy Lin the best PG we've have since NVE?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheesysapien
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject:

kinein wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
i dunno....he couldn't crack the starting lineup with a healthy ronnie price

I fail to see the reasoning, have you seen the numbers for the entire preseason for all of the remaining Guards? Ronnie Price can't hold a candle to Lin.

Do you have the link?
"We have a lot of guys that have been kinda discarded ... Myself with the injury and the age. Jeremy ... a bunch of players who other teams really felt they had no use for. So we have that kind of attitude built into ourselves" -- Kobe Bryant
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
No. Since Tierre Brown.

does anyone else miss Del Harris?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject:

Only if you ignore skills and defense.

I'd still take an older Gary Payton 2003-2004 version over Lin any day. Not so much for O, but what Payton could do for a team as a defensive leader. And Payton would have gotten along better with Scott than he did with Phil, assuming it were a year or two.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
hopandskip
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject:

LakerLand247 wrote:

adding

Steve Nash - He was past his prime and should have retired after he injured his Tibia bone. He never really had a chance to play.

Sedale "the Thief" Threat - He was signed in the summer of 1991 to help Magic with the PG duties and provide some outside shooting. I don't recall if Sedale ever had a chance to play with Magic. Sedale was a great outside shooter, excellent in steals, decent play maker.

Personally, from what I've seen him this pre-season Lin has a chance to be on top of that list. Probably neck and neck with Nick the Quick in terms of over all talent. The one thing I remember from Nick the Quick was he was pretty clutch in the 4th quarter (before the Kobe era). Again, this all from memory, just my 2cents.

Threatt was totally streaky as an outside shooter. He had to share the point with NVE.
JJack
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

I'd still take an older Gary Payton 2003-2004 version over Lin any day. Not so much for O, but what Payton could do for a team as a defensive leader. And Payton would have gotten along better with Scott than he did with Phil, assuming it were a year or two.

Jeremy Lin average 106 DRtg of his career, and surprise surprise, it's Gary Payton's career average figure too. The Glove in his prime made 102 DRtg and 103 in his lakers year which is very good, but Lin is not bad either and we can expect Lin improve to a better defender under Byron and Kobe.

NVE? his best year in Lakers projected 108 DRtg and a career 110DRtg, meh.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

I wouldn't.

Payton from his Supersonic days was the premier defensive point guard for sure, but by the time he came to the Lakers, the "Glove" had become the "Mitten".

While he was surprisingly durable, and started all 82 games for us that season, unlike any other starter, he just wasn't the GP we remembered as a Sonic, and when all the starters were healthy was an afterthought on offense. He struggled in the triangle as a facilitator, and struggled defensively against premier point guards of the time.

Lin plays a much more well rounded game and is much better offensively. Better passer, better shooter, better at running the offense and breaking down the defense....and while he isn't a stopper by any means, he plays good honest defense that's a lot better than he's given credit for.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject:

To the original poster...YES
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:
No. Since Tierre Brown.

Del Harris drove me crazy with his game and rotation management.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject:

JULIUS RANDLE HAS LOOKED REALLY GOOD FOR A ROOK!!
brunel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:
No. Since Tierre Brown.

Only the ones who live to post in the P&M threads.
Kobe2Clark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Offense looked really good with him running the offense and GUYS SHOOTING/MAKING THREE POINTERS

I have the same concerns as the two previous seasons: We have the offense that Lin could run and run pretty well--an MDA style offense, and then the offense that Kobe (last season it was Pau, season before it was 5 different offenses) and Byron will want to run. Which will be ISO heavy and with less ball movement.

It looked good tonight. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Kobe isn't really doing the usual dribble-isolation at all so far. It's all post-ups and jumpers off screens. I do think Lin can be trusted with the ball unlike other PGs we've had
Kobe2Clark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Gary was beyond washed up. Lin is a much better player than Payton at that stage of his career
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Is Julius Randle our best draft pick since NVE?

(We didn't draft Kobe, we traded Vlade for him.)
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject:

JIFISH wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Is Julius Randle our best draft pick since NVE?

(We didn't draft Kobe, we traded Vlade for him.)

We had Charlotte draft him for us.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:
No. Since Tierre Brown.

Del Harris drove me crazy with his game and rotation management.

Who'a more annoying: MDA or Del?
mykeinla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject:

This team has the best overall talent.
brunel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject:

Though I think he's miles ahead of Ronnie Price and he's looked pretty dam good so far, I'm going to reserve judgement on his place as a Lakers PG until he plays regular season games.
cheesysapien
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I wouldn't.

Payton from his Supersonic days was the premier defensive point guard for sure, but by the time he came to the Lakers, the "Glove" had become the "Mitten".

While he was surprisingly durable, and started all 82 games for us that season, unlike any other starter, he just wasn't the GP we remembered as a Sonic, and when all the starters were healthy was an afterthought on offense. He struggled in the triangle as a facilitator, and struggled defensively against premier point guards of the time.

Lin plays a much more well rounded game and is much better offensively. Better passer, better shooter, better at running the offense and breaking down the defense....and while he isn't a stopper by any means, he plays good honest defense that's a lot better than he's given credit for.

Glad to see your comments, especially the bolded ones
"We have a lot of guys that have been kinda discarded ... Myself with the injury and the age. Jeremy ... a bunch of players who other teams really felt they had no use for. So we have that kind of attitude built into ourselves" -- Kobe Bryant
DJ Slik
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject:

kinein wrote:
DJ Slik wrote:
i dunno....he couldn't crack the starting lineup with a healthy ronnie price

I fail to see the reasoning, have you seen the numbers for the entire preseason for all of the remaining Guards? Ronnie Price can't hold a candle to Lin.

i was being FACETIOUS.
http://i.imgur.com/PQmcU2a.png

OF COURSE jeremy is light years better than ronnie price. not even a fair comparison.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject:

LakerLand247 wrote:

Ron Harper - was role player and past his prime - help facilitate the triangle offense

Ron knew his limitations to a T and, more importantly, accepted his role and knew how to carry out his role, thus making him an effective cog in the well oiled machine. He ran an offense (a difficult one) better than any other name there -- he wasn't a chicken with its head cut off like Chucky Atkins. He was past his prime and a role player, but his importance went beyond those truths. It's that way with some players that you tend to dismiss right off because they're old or not a star. It was with Brian Shaw too.

If nothing else, Ron deserves a couple of spaces or a "---------------" between himself and guys like Chucky, Tierre, and Smush.

No one disliked Ron, making him a buffer between Kobe and Shaq. God knows we needed as many mild-mannered guys we could get for that role alone. Long story short, his value outweighed his age and limitations.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject:

hopandskip wrote:
LakerLand247 wrote:

adding

Steve Nash - He was past his prime and should have retired after he injured his Tibia bone. He never really had a chance to play.

Sedale "the Thief" Threat - He was signed in the summer of 1991 to help Magic with the PG duties and provide some outside shooting. I don't recall if Sedale ever had a chance to play with Magic. Sedale was a great outside shooter, excellent in steals, decent play maker.

Personally, from what I've seen him this pre-season Lin has a chance to be on top of that list. Probably neck and neck with Nick the Quick in terms of over all talent. The one thing I remember from Nick the Quick was he was pretty clutch in the 4th quarter (before the Kobe era). Again, this all from memory, just my 2cents.

Threatt was totally streaky as an outside shooter. He had to share the point with NVE.

Were you even a fan back then? He was about as reliable an outside shooter as an outside shooter can be. Van Exel was far streakier.

And he didn't "have" to share the point with Van Exel, he was on his last legs when Van Exel got here - after Threatt had been the full-time starter for two seasons.
KOBE2007MVP
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject:

You're forgetting D Fish!
DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject:

Lin isn't the best PG we have right now according to Scott. What makes him better than nick. The question is, is price the best PG since nick the quick. Kind of an absurd question to ask, but here we are. B. Scott already knows.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject:

While NVE is probably in my top 10 of Lakers I enjoyed watching (all time)... If you really look at Nick the Quick's stats... Jeremy Lin is likely better.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: