Summer 2015
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject:

I'm thinking about Chris Walker with our HOU pick. he's suspended again for 2 games this season so he could def. drop to #20. he's a 6'10 SF with a body and hops like Lebron. http://grantland.com/the-triangle/whos-that-guy-floridas-chris-walker/
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Cancun Van Exel wrote:
PhoenixForce wrote:
Cancun Van Exel wrote:
I can't see why many people think Reggie Jax is worth $10mil + a season. He's not bad but he's nowhere near worth a decent sized chunk of the cap IMO.

He was able to take over last season for the injured Westbrook without much drop off in the Thunders winning %. He's 24 yrs old and when he gets his chance to start I think he will be a 16/6/5 guy with lockdown defense. It's like when Bledsoe was behind CP3 in LA, everyone could see the talent but he was simply playing behind a hall of famer.

Except he's not as good as Bledsoe? If CP3 is a 10, Bledsoe is an 8, then Reggie Jax is a what? i say 5.8

Also half the price,nearly a half decade younger than cp3. I'd "rate" him 6.5. Just stuck behind Russ.

And the understated thing about guys like Jackson and Klay is that their games don't leave them susceptible to injuries (both have had relatively injury-free careers so far). If i was a FO, I'd definitely be willing to pay more for those type of guys than someone like Bledsoe who could go down at any moment. Plus I like that they have good playoff experience already, and have proven that they can bring their A game when it counts the most.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject:

The goal IMO should be to add one player who can make an impact. Atm hopefully we have 3 players who can make an impact next year - Kobe, Lin, Randle. Add 1 more. Add 2 more if we let Lin go ( goal is to have 4 players in the starting 5 who can really contribute next season.)

Lin
Kobe
?
Randle
Asik?Gasol?Al Jeff
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
I'm thinking about Chris Walker with our HOU pick. he's suspended again for 2 games this season so he could def. drop to #20. he's a 6'10 SF with a body and hops like Lebron. http://grantland.com/the-triangle/whos-that-guy-floridas-chris-walker/

Not if you've seen his offensive game. He's extremely, extremely extremely raw.... like extremely extremely raw. He'd have to show a LOT of improvement this year as well as stay disciplined with his grades.

As of right now he's just an athlete and is raw in everywhere else, he has defensive potential and is a good rebounder but nothing that shows he could play the 3 at the next level, has no perimeter game, and not much of an inside game outside of his dunks and he rushes a lot of his shots.

So if he shows a very much improved game his Sophomore season perhaps.

But at the moment I don't think there's anyone better than Delon Wright for the Lakers to go after.

Just a repeat of what I've written on him before

If you're looking for a 'point guard' that's a passer as well as skilled, I'd strongly recommend Delon Wright. He'll come into his 2nd year of college this year. His first year he averaged 15.5p/6.8r/5.3a/2.5stls/1.3blks a game his first year, and shot 56% from the field(63% on 2 pointers) and that was in his first year. He has very sneaky quicks and a lightning fast first step. He has a very smooth, controlled and paced game, not too high not too low, has patience to wait to turn on the jets instead of having them on all the time. That's why I called his quicks sneaky because he doesn't seem quick till he shows it and when he shows it he's left the top of the key where he was defended at the rim already.

Flown under the radar for the most part and will likely get more attention this year. Dropped 23/12/6 on Fresno State at 75% shooting, 14/7/6 at 60% shooting on OregonSt, 27/11/9 on 58% shooting on Washington, 22/6/5/6steals as well as 20/9/5 on USC, 19/6/4 on Arizona, 17/11/7 on Colorado, 22/9/6 on ArizSt in 100% shooting. So he's got a lot of talent and he's flown under the radar a bit which is why he's going to hopefully be within our range unless he impresses more this year in his 2nd year and moves up. If he stays under the radar he could fall to the Lakers.

You may want to check him out. If Clarkson is a scoring point guard/shooting guard/combo guard, Wright is more of a pure point and both of them could be used effectively with each other or playing next to each other.

Just worth taking a look at. Particularly in the eve of Steve Nash's retirement.

1:04 to see him use his first step.

He's also from Los Angeles but that's beside the point =P I'm sure the Lakers have an eye on him but just in case some of you guys haven't seen him. He's also realistically gonna be within our range with Houston's pick. To me he'd be the best under the radar one we could make. If he plays like he played last year he's likely in the lottery though but if he stays under the radar he's a definite guy the Lakers should go after. He's a point guard built for what Byron Scott wants to run.

If Nash is gonna stick around and be a guy that's gonna mentor and tutor our point guards going forward and Magic is gonna show up at practices to do the same thing. Delon is probably the guy you chase. Particularly if Clarkson's gonna be a 2.
Inverse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Is there any protection on that Houston pick? If they fail to make the playoffs this year, do we get their lottery pick? That could be huge
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Inverse wrote:
Is there any protection on that Houston pick? If they fail to make the playoffs this year, do we get their lottery pick? That could be huge

No, they'd have to make the playoffs at at least 8th for us to get their pick.

Best case scenario for us would be the Lakers finishing 7th and Houston finishing 8th, that way we'd get a higher pick than Phoenix does with ours
Inverse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Just looked it up: "2015 first round draft pick from Houston
Houston's 1st round pick to the L.A. Lakers protected for selections 1-14 in 2015, 1-10 in 2016, 1-10 in 2017, 1-5 in 2018, 1-5 in 2019 and 1-3 in 2020 and unprotected in 2021 [Houston-L.A. Lakers, 7/13/2014]"

So pretty much lottery proteted
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject:

I doubt that Delon Wright will go in the first round. If he even gets drafted. He looks solid, I'd like to see his game against better competition. His jumper won't fly in the league, it's a complete set shot.

Chris Walker you're right is very raw. But at pick #20, i have no problem drafting a kid who's "2 year away from being 2 years away". And IMO there may be something to 6'10 SFs making such leaps and bounds skill wise. From Parsons to George to the Greek Freak. Maybe there's a confidence that comes to your off the dribble game when you have such a size advantage over your defender. I'll admittedly say that Im reaching with my infatuation with Chris Walker, i saw a video of him going coast to coast, saw another video of a nice behind the back move - and now I can't stop dreaming of him improving his rawness off the dribble. Because some off the dribble skill, with that tall strong body, would be so hard to guard.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
I doubt that Delon Wright will go in the first round. If he even gets drafted. He looks solid, I'd like to see his game against better competition. His jumper won't fly in the league, it's a complete set shot.

Chris Walker you're right is very raw. But at pick #20, i have no problem drafting a kid who's "2 year away from being 2 years away". And IMO there may be something to 6'10 SFs making such leaps and bounds skill wise. From Parsons to George to the Greek Freak. Maybe there's a confidence that comes to your off the dribble game when you have such a size advantage over your defender. I'll admittedly say that Im reaching with my infatuation with Chris Walker, i saw a video of him going coast to coast, saw another video of a nice behind the back move - and now I can't stop dreaming of him improving his rawness off the dribble. Because some off the dribble skill, with that tall strong body, would be so hard to guard.

A lot of players have set shots, that wouldn't hold Wright back in the league. He's also very smart about using it, he uses it when he's wide open but the best aspect of his game is his ability to get to the basket and cut apart the defense. So that would be where he makes his bread and butter.

If he has a second year like his first one he may wind up going in the lottery, fortunately because of where he plays I see him flying under the radar and he'd be a very solid get.

The thing about Chris Walker is that his handles at the college level aren't as effective as they were in high school, he still plays like a 4 in college and he doesn't act much like a small forward.

Where his potential is, is his defensive potential and rebounding, but offensive wise and ability to create his own shot is extremely raw and he is one of the people that bullies in college but would have trouble in the league doing it as he got easily pushed around in college and strength is considered one of his weaknesses.

So his game is going to have to vastly improve if he's gonna bring it at the next level. I'm pretty sure he goes top 15 on his potential and upside but in terms of what he has to add to his game he has a long ways to go.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject:

he has a full set shot, a lot of players do have kind of a half and half set/jump shot; that's actually the norm o the perimeter now. but a full set shot, one that didn't look mobile or quick. i didn't like it. only watched one of his vids..

And yes again, youre right, Chris Walker may end up being a PF. But i like him as a project player at SF
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
he has a full set shot, a lot of players do have kind of a half and half set/jump shot; that's actually the norm o the perimeter now. but a full set shot, one that didn't look mobile or quick. i didn't like it. only watched one of his vids..

And yes again, youre right, Chris Walker may end up being a PF. But i like him as a project player at SF

Watch that third video of his. 1:04 in particular to see how quick he is and how easily he cuts through the defense at the college level.

That first step alone....
JayLida
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
Klay Thompson and Greg Monroe should be the main targets next summer. Two young players who will be around for a long time with Randle and Clarkson. I'll be happy with either.

Max for Klay, then remainder for Monroe? Who is playing point guard though on this team? (Lin would need to be let go).

Not necessarily with the new cap Numbers the Lakers will probably be able to afford Lin?
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject:

I have a feeling we will get 3 picks in This draft. if that happens I hope we can get one of 4 players in the top 5 in order of preference:

Towns
Mudiay
Oubre
Okafor

The Houston pick is one where I hope we can grab one player in particular and that's WCS. I used to be really high on Chris Walker but he's not a high character type of guy and that's what really counts when projecting talent. Another player that I hope drops to that Houston pick is tyus jones. He's talented enough to go top 10 but he has enough question marks to fall in the mid to late teens also.

I feel like we can grab a guy like dakari Johnson or delon wright in the second round. Guys like delon are going to fall because of age but that doesn't mean he's any less of a player. He just doesn't have the ceiling that a lot of the younger guys have. A guy like dakari is talented but a 7ft with a 7ft wingspan isn't exactly first round material. He has role player written all over him .
I suppose walked could be taken in the second with less risk. He has eke we talent but I doubt many teams consider him in the first

So in the perfect world the laker draft would look something like...

Top 5: towns
Houston pick: tyus jones
Second round: delon

Or

Mudiay
WCS
Dakari

Or
Okafor
Tyus
Walker

Probably pipe but who knows. Anything can happen if cleavland can land multiple #1 picks.
Cancun Van Exel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Inverse wrote:

No, they'd have to make the playoffs at at least 8th for us to get their pick.

Best case scenario for us would be the Lakers finishing 7th and Houston finishing 8th, that way we'd get a higher pick than Phoenix does with ours

Hmmm, or LA does an accidental tank and Harden or Howard goes down, they get #8 seed So we get #1 overall and #15 pick
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Watch that third video of his. 1:04 in particular to see how quick he is and how easily he cuts through the defense at the college level.

That first step alone....

my bad, thought he was in JuCo. lol. Hopefully he plays well this year, the more players in the pool, the more likely we get a good one with Houston's pick
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject:

If you make the playoffs, the worst spot you can be is #15, but in the west realistically, more like #20 (with the east having 15-19).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Offering Klay the max is a mostly useless gesture. GS will match.

I doubt Klay would even sign an offer sheet. He could get more with a contract from GS. Why accept less?
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
24 wrote:
Offering Klay the max is a mostly useless gesture. GS will match.

I doubt Klay would even sign an offer sheet. He could get more with a contract from GS. Why accept less?

Player option and/or trade kicker would make the contract more valuable to him than a straight max raise deal.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject:

With a player option he would be available in 2018?
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
With a player option he would be available in 2018?

Would depend on the contract, but what I mean is, the max deal with 7.5% raises and nothing else is worth less to a player than a max deal with 4.5% raises and player options/trade kickers, so yes Golden State can just play the wait and see, but you can make a contract worse for his team (worse for you too if they decline to match) and better for him than a straight max deal.

Would the Lakers offer that? doubtful, not really their MO, but the teams who graze around the almost but not quite, need to overpay to get talent variety (see Dallas, Almost Charlotte and Utah this year) could certainly do it.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject:

This coming up free agent class is pretty weak. Outside of Asik I don't see a realistic get
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--stalling-contract-talks-between-thompson--warriors-causing-frustration--201359342.html

This posted already about klay?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--stalling-contract-talks-between-thompson--warriors-causing-frustration--201359342.html

This posted already about klay?

It's just Bledsoe/PHX all over again. Lakers would offer max, Golden State would match.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject:

Mario hezonja
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject:

JayLida wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
Klay Thompson and Greg Monroe should be the main targets next summer. Two young players who will be around for a long time with Randle and Clarkson. I'll be happy with either.

Max for Klay, then remainder for Monroe? Who is playing point guard though on this team? (Lin would need to be let go).

Not necessarily with the new cap Numbers the Lakers will probably be able to afford Lin?

The TV contract doesn't kick in until 2016.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 6 of 15
Jump to: