The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 161, 162, 163 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Wish we had Jabari instead of Randle. My laker love definitely makes me see Randle in a good light. But he hasn't jumped 5 draft spots based on a couple good preseason games, especially not past Jabari.

Slow and pudgy?

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Wish we had Jabari instead of Randle. My laker love definitely makes me see Randle in a good light. But he hasn't jumped 5 draft spots based on a couple good preseason games, especially not past Jabari.

Slow and pudgy?

The point we should hold on to is, he deserves to jump a lot of draft spots, based on the skillset/success he's had since Summer League. More weight should be put on Summer League and preseason performances than college; its way better competition. So, how many draft spots has our guy jumped?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

...to be a superstar he will have to do it on defense and he will have to learn how to pass out of the double team.

This was the one thing I was worried about Randle. I had pegged him to be a bit of a blackhole on offense judging from what I saw of him in college. He'd often force shots against double and triple teams, and I thought either he had trouble recognizing the help defense or wasn't a willing passer or perhaps both.

But, the summer league and the preseason dispelled all that. JR's shown that he has great court vision and is a willing passer. This part of his game has been a pleasant and a much welcomed surprise.

The "fast break thing", as Byron puts it, is the one part of his game that has totally surprised me, and has "superstar" potential written all over it. I knew he had good hands as a passer from college, but the speed of his dribble was never apparent there for whatever reason. His rebounding, defense and post-game I think are still open questions. Shooting never bothered me. That's something that can usually be learned through time.

Last edited by greenfrog on Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject:

No one can say with any certainty how good Randle will be. However, obviously, Randle was not deemed to be in the class of Wiggens and Parker before the draft. The biggest compliment you can give to Randle now is that he clearly belongs in the same group.

Had he been available, I would have wanted Smart instead of Randle. I still think Smart could be another prime Deron Williams one day. However, Randle's convinced me his potential is higher. I would guess that there is no way that the Randle we have seen in the summer league and we are seeing now would have slipped passed #4 and likely would have been in the conversation for the #1 or #2 spots. Given Wiggens' crazy athletic gifts and Parker's crazy offensive skills at a young age, both would have still probably been picked ahead of him, but he definitely would have been in the conversation.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
rybee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Julius vs Jabari head to head.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Slow and pudgy?

Let's break it down

Andrew Wiggins 11.7 / 3.7 / 1.5 40% shooting 28 MPG
Jabari Parker 15 / 6 /. 1.2 41% shooting 31 MPG
Marcus Smart 8.3 / 2.6 / 4.6 / 2.3 steals 28% shooting 26 MPG
Julius Randle 8.75 / 5.74 / 1.1 43% shooting 20 MPG

Per36
Andrew Wiggins 15 / 4.7 / 1.9
Jabari Parker 17.4 / 6.9 / 1.3
Marcus Smart 11.9 / 3.6 / 6.3 / 3.1 steals
Julius Randle 15.7 / 10.3 / 2

So Per36(take it for what its worth)
Randle would be
1st in Field Goal%,
2nd in Scoring,
1st in Rebounds and
2nd in Assists.

Julius is just fine. He also 'son'ed Jabari when they faced each other head to head. Did the same thing to his best friend Okafor too. The only one of those prospects that could hang with Julius at the high school level when they faced each other was Wiggins.
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Slow and pudgy?

Yea I don't know where some people get this crap from
Inverse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject:

I didn't mean to derail this into a Jabari Vs Randle thread, but all I was trying to get at was Julius AND Jabari are both going to be superstars in this league one day, similar to what we saw in Dwayne Wade and Melo when they came out of their draft class...(I know, different positions but you get the point)
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Slow and pudgy?

Let's break it down

Andrew Wiggins 11.7 / 3.7 / 1.5 40% shooting 28 MPG
Jabari Parker 15 / 6 /. 1.2 41% shooting 31 MPG
Marcus Smart 8.3 / 2.6 / 4.6 / 2.3 steals 28% shooting 26 MPG
Julius Randle 8.75 / 5.74 / 1.1 43% shooting 20 MPG

Per36
Andrew Wiggins 15 / 4.7 / 1.9
Jabari Parker 17.4 / 6.9 / 1.3
Marcus Smart 11.9 / 3.6 / 6.3 / 3.1 steals
Julius Randle 15.7 / 10.3 / 2

So Per36(take it for what its worth)
Randle would be
1st in Field Goal%,
2nd in Scoring,
1st in Rebounds and
2nd in Assists.

Julius is just fine. He also 'son'ed Jabari when they faced each other head to head. Did the same thing to his best friend Okafor too. The only one of those prospects that could hang with Julius at the high school level when they faced each other was Wiggins.

Imo per 36 means little to nothing, because it doesn't account for downside of players playing extended minutes (I.e lower field goal percentage). Randle should've been a top 3 pick, imo he will go down as the second best player in the draft behind Jabari
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Slow and pudgy?

A nice dunk means nothing - that's a stupid way to evaluate a player. If you're going to compare the two, at least bring up stats. As someone already mentioned with the per 36, Randle is right there with him, he just didn't get as many minutes/touches.
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject:

its one thing to get 20 points in MIL streetballing, than playing for the lakers in a structured offense where the coach will pull you out for any mistake (specially randle). You put this randle in MIL w green light .and he would average 22ppg as a rookie.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject:

this is an amazing draft class. If you had the top seven players three years from now, you might be a contender.

Exum, Smart
Wign ,
Parker,
Randle, Gordon
Embiid,

I still feel like Embiid and Exum are the guys that could end up being on an all time level.
rockets killer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject:

I will pay money for Randle to do one of those elephant juggernaut stampe on the Rockets on tuesday . Take out Dwight or Harden or Bev.

Last edited by rockets killer on Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject:

It's hard to belive that laker fans are still underestimating how dominant of a player randle is. I admit that I would have taken a few player over randle during the draft, but after watching is full skillset I wouldn't even consider anyone besides embiid.

People are overlooking one major skill about randle that separates him from your traditional big. No matter how dominant shaq was, no matter how dominant Tim Duncan was, they relied on their guards to get them quality looks. Randle is a dominant big man with the skillset and quickness of a perimeter player. Randle is a walking mismatch on offense that only a few teams in the NBA can match up with.

Eventually la will start building Thier team around randles triple threat and that's when everyone will recognize how good he is.

Our first priority should be a young pg that excels in the PnR and can play off ball and hit the open jumper.
Then we need a couple 3&D guys on the wings who don't need the ball to be effective.

Then we need a rim protector that can finish well at the rim and set solid picks on the other end.
I can easily see randle averaging 25 and 12 in his prime if the lakers choose to make him a franchise guy and give him 20+ touches a game.

I think that tanking and shooting for mudiay+ WCS would expedite our rebuild. At least we would have a couple of young stars and we could build around a mudiay/randle PnR game.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
It's hard to belive that laker fans are still underestimating how dominant of a player randle is. I admit that I would have taken a few player over randle during the draft, but after watching is full skillset I wouldn't even consider anyone besides embiid.

People are overlooking one major skill about randle that separates him from your traditional big. No matter how dominant shaq was, no matter how dominant Tim Duncan was, they relied on their guards to get them quality looks. Randle is a dominant big man with the skillset and quickness of a perimeter player. Randle is a walking mismatch on offense that only a few teams in the NBA can match up with.

Eventually la will start building Thier team around randles triple threat and that's when everyone will recognize how good he is.

Our first priority should be a young pg that excels in the PnR and can play off ball and hit the open jumper.
Then we need a couple 3&D guys on the wings who don't need the ball to be effective.

Then we need a rim protector that can finish well at the rim and set solid picks on the other end.
I can easily see randle averaging 25 and 12 in his prime if the lakers choose to make him a franchise guy and give him 20+ touches a game.

I think that tanking and shooting for mudiay+ WCS would expedite our rebuild. At least we would have a couple of young stars and we could build around a mudiay/randle PnR game.

We r not going to tank for anybody... Period

Foolish or not
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:

I agree with everything you said except the tanking part. We are definitely not tanking. Finding a big man like Randle with his skillset is almost impossible. Very few players can do all the things he can do. Randle is the franchise for the future and the lakers should be building around him.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:

Yep

PICKnPOP wrote:

They already have

PICKnPOP wrote:

like Jeremy Lin?

PICKnPOP wrote:

Like Wesley Johnson?

PICKnPOP wrote:

Like Ed Davis?

PICKnPOP wrote:

Don't think Randle would need 20 touches to be effective.

PICKnPOP wrote:

All they'd need to do is re-sign Lin if they wanted that. No tanking needed.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Yep

PICKnPOP wrote:

They already have

PICKnPOP wrote:

like Jeremy Lin?

PICKnPOP wrote:

Like Wesley Johnson?

PICKnPOP wrote:

Like Ed Davis?

PICKnPOP wrote:

Don't think Randle would need 20 touches to be effective.

PICKnPOP wrote:

All they'd need to do is re-sign Lin if they wanted that. No tanking needed.

Exactly! I agree 100% except that maybe I used the wrong word. I don't think the lakers are going to tank this year .. I think they will just be that bad. I was very optimistic about this teams chances before the season started but we have been struggling with injuries and now we're missing 3 main contributors in Nash, young, and Henry. That hurts a lot. Not to mention the tough starting schedule. We have a talented team that needs time to jell but it's more likely that happens next season.
lakerpr
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject:

Randle looks great and has a lot potential. But I would wait for some regular season games before using statistics to infer.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject:

lakerpr wrote:
Randle looks great and has a lot potential. But I would wait for some regular season games before using statistics to infer.

I agree that statistics really don't mean anything when it comes to evaluating randle at this point. What does matter is his skill set and what it means.

Randle can out run every NBA big wil the ball in his hands on the fast break.the only real way to stop this is to foul him.

Randle is so fast that he can face up and blow by most NBA bigs.

Randle is strong as an ox and can bully most NBA bigs inside

Now here's the kicker:

If you decide you want to take away randles ability to drive he will shoot the midrange shot.

If you decide to take away the shot he's quick enough to get to the hole.

If you guard him with wing randle has a post game, and if you guard him with someone stronger he can go back to the face up.

How exactly are you going to guard Julius randle in his prime?

He's a legit NBA bigman who is a legit triple threat with the ball in his hands. hes unique and that will make him dominant. he can literally always get a quality shot because he can do everything on the court and the defense cannot take away everything. Can't say that about wiggins and Jabari cannot create that type of mismatch every game.

Wouldn't choose anyone else besides embiid who will be dominant on both ends if he's injury free.
laserboy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject:

Scott has repeatedly said that Randle needs to figure out how to play “harder for longer,” which he hasn’t seen the last few games.
Mike Trudell (@LakersReporter)

^^this was tweeted about a week ago. I think Coach Scott is now seeing the harder, longer Randle that he was looking for.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject:

laserboy wrote:
Scott has repeatedly said that Randle needs to figure out how to play “harder for longer,” which he hasn’t seen the last few games.
Mike Trudell (@LakersReporter)

^^this was tweeted about a week ago. I think Coach Scott is now seeing the harder, longer Randle that he was looking for.

He shows it in flashes but he has a tendency to stand around and watch when the ball isn't in his hands. Scott wants to see him working hard for position in the boards, playing tough defense, setting picks, and running the floor. It shouldn't be as big a deal when randle is featured in the offense because he will always be involved. That's why I think the best direction to go with a player like randle is to get a star pg for him to play with. Build the offense around randle/Lin(or whatever pg). think Nash/stadimire or Stockton/ Malone.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject:

LakerLand247 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Maybe Scott is an Asian Tiger Coach/Dad? Lin is giving him an A- performance and he wants an A+?

Byron doesn't know this but it's causing un-needed drama on a obvious decision. Causing unnecessary drama at the PG spot this early in the season.

Drama from impatient fans who are complaining about something that hasn't happened. I hope Byron doesn't consider that.
Cancun Van Exel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
lakerpr wrote:

I agree that statistics really don't mean anything when it comes to evaluating randle at this point. What does matter is his skill set and what it means.

Randle can out run every NBA big wil the ball in his hands on the fast break.the only real way to stop this is to foul him.

Randle is so fast that he can face up and blow by most NBA bigs.

Randle is strong as an ox and can bully most NBA bigs inside

Now here's the kicker:

If you decide you want to take away randles ability to drive he will shoot the midrange shot.

If you decide to take away the shot he's quick enough to get to the hole.

If you guard him with wing randle has a post game, and if you guard him with someone stronger he can go back to the face up.

How exactly are you going to guard Julius randle in his prime?

He's a legit NBA bigman who is a legit triple threat with the ball in his hands. hes unique and that will make him dominant. he can literally always get a quality shot because he can do everything on the court and the defense cannot take away everything. Can't say that about wiggins and Jabari cannot create that type of mismatch every game.

Wouldn't choose anyone else besides embiid who will be dominant on both ends if he's injury free.

He's not really a 'big'. That's like calling Blake Griffin a 'big'. I love his game but he's maybe 6'9" and doesn't have big-time hops or anything.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject:

kimboviper wrote:
its quite obvious Randle is trying to prove him self to everyone...

most of the time he just rebounds the ball so he can go coast to coast and ignore everyone else... looking like Magic Johnson... except he doesnt pass

his game is mostly bullying peple down low...we'll see how he does in the real season

Back to the future to June 2014?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 161, 162, 163 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 162 of 1536
Jump to: