Kendall Marshall vs Ronnie Price
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
automatic
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Sniper008 wrote:
they both suck, but the annoying thing about Marshall is I never felt like he played to win. I see the guy pass up shots time and time again hoping to pile up his assist numbers basically making himself a liability on offense, and his defense is nothing to write home about. I hate players like that.

I take it you don't love Rondo?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Kendall Marshall and Ronnie Price are essentially the same players.

Both are one-dimensional players. Kendall could pass but not score or defend. Price can defend, but he can't really score or pass.

Not even sure why we'd compare the two.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Sources: Bucks guarantee contract of point guard Kendall Marshall

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--bucks-guarantee-contract-of-point-guard-kendall-marshall-210513045.html
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers screwed up huge when they waived Marshall.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject:

Now that I've seen the first game, rather have Marshall.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:
Now that I've seen the first game, rather have Marshall.

Marshal would have gotten devoured tonight.

Lin didn't look so hot either.
Spoolxx
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject:

Price is supposed to be a good defender? Dude got lit up like a Christmas tree.
LakerNV
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:
Marshall cant shoot either, although he is a better passer but much worse defender. I'll take Price, thank you

we gotta stop making things up to blindly justify moves for "lakers sake." god knows we don't do the right thing more than half the time and that just ends up looking foolish. kendall shot 40 from 3, moved the ball well and set people up. you can talk dantodi's offense all you want, but 8.8 dimes is what it is and he did improve his shooting.

truth is this team currently has no one besides kobe that can create for and set up a big at the cup. if you want talk about a product of a system, look to our current starting pg. this defensive thing is overstated also. you can't attribute all the offensive pluses to dantoni w/o giving blame to his defensive philosophy either.

you don't waive a 2nd year player getting you 9 dimes making less than a mill...except we did and now the natural reaction is to defend it.

kendall just got guaranteed, too.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:25 am    Post subject:

LakerNV wrote:
Fruscas wrote:
Marshall cant shoot either, although he is a better passer but much worse defender. I'll take Price, thank you

we gotta stop making things up to blindly justify moves for "lakers sake." god knows we don't do the right thing more than half the time and that just ends up looking foolish. kendall shot 40 from 3, moved the ball well and set people up. you can talk dantodi's offense all you want, but 8.8 dimes is what it is and he did improve his shooting.

truth is this team currently has no one besides kobe that can create for and set up a big at the cup. if you want talk about a product of a system, look to our current starting pg. this defensive thing is overstated also. you can't attribute all the offensive pluses to dantoni w/o giving blame to his defensive philosophy either.

you don't waive a 2nd year player getting you 9 dimes making less than a mill...except we did and now the natural reaction is to defend it.

kendall just got guaranteed, too.

Was there any doubt he wouldn't?

Anyway, Price is the better defender, Marshall is the better passer, both are inconsistent shooters.

Kendall is played behind Bayless because they prefer Bayless' defense.
Ronnie is played because the starting lineup needs his defense.

Both will have the task to shoot off ball when open and neither is gonna create their own shot very well.

Considering the Lakers only let Marshall go(with the intention of re-signing him mind you) is because they won the bid on Boozer.

And in the aftermath of the unfortunate injury to Randle, having Boozer is a pretty big move in hindsight now.
freethrow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject:

Price's defense looked serviceable in preseason, and probably looked great in practice against his teammates, but I thought he kinda got exposed tonight against real NBA competition. Certainly not the defensive stopper he was billed as.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject:

Rawr wrote:
If Marshall had figured out how to hit hit open 3's or defend he would have been a good PG to have on the roster.

Unfortunately it just didn't happen. His shooting was downright atrocious in the summer league and his defense was still non-existent.

His passing ability is on par with the best PG's in the league though, and I hope he finds success in the league.

Why does everyone say Marshall was a bad shooter? He was 40% from three point range and at one point was second in the league in accuracy.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerNV
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Rawr wrote:
If Marshall had figured out how to hit hit open 3's or defend he would have been a good PG to have on the roster.

Unfortunately it just didn't happen. His shooting was downright atrocious in the summer league and his defense was still non-existent.

His passing ability is on par with the best PG's in the league though, and I hope he finds success in the league.

Why does everyone say Marshall was a bad shooter? He was 40% from three point range and at one point was second in the league in accuracy.

because in order to justify getting rid of a kid who actually improved, the blind fan predictably went to the college scouting report. i mean stats and gameplay mean nothing if chad ford said something to the contrary two years ago, right?
crackadon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject:

GasolBynumKobe wrote:
Marshall was god awful. Not to mention he was extremely arrogant and condescending. I remember him mocking Swaggy P and not admitting he was wrong for not going to his aid in Phoenix and saying Nick had to know that they were short a few players and can't do things like that. Of course, I'm paraphrasing but ever since that, that turned me off completely from being a fan. That and the fact that he wasn't a good player anyways. I already like Ronnie more.

i seriously thought i was the only person noticing this. in post game interviews, he came off so cocky and full of himself.

like really? i couldn't understand where it was coming from.

i wanted to root for him, but he was so unlikable to me. the day he threw Swaggy under the bus sealed it for me too.
jorkerjork
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Price ticks all the athletic markers for defensive purposes, even at age 31. Marshall can pass, and has a tightrope three pointer, but everything else is a real downer, particularly his lack of defense and lack of athleticism. I also think his personality is too laid back. Price is a warrior. So it's obvious I'm going to go with Price.
Cancun Van Exel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Rawr wrote:

This. He's above league average from 3 in his career (38%). There's no comparison between him and Price offensively. Marshall's a lot younger too. (He's a bad FT shooter, though but he's making the minimum, gonna have flaws)
dxdx
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Lakers95 wrote:
Marshall couldn't shoot for jack (bleep), and the only reason he was getting those crazy assist numbers was because we were so depleted at PG that we needed him to play big minutes.

Because MDA.
Will2Win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject:

I will take Ronnie's defense over anything Marshall could do offensively...because Marshall was put up zero resistance on defense. The fact that Ronnie plays defense very well is easily more valuable from a one year journey man than a guy who was pretty much just a negative.
Will2Win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject:

Spoolxx wrote:
Price is supposed to be a good defender? Dude got lit up like a Christmas tree.

If that was bad, imagine if it was Marshall. It would be like getting lit up by a Nuclear Explosion 3 times over.
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject:

Marshall is the more talented player. Price is just scrappy.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject:

has Marshall gotten any minutes in Milwaukee?

Far as I heard Kidd isn't giving him much of a chance, has Bayless and Knight ahead of him in the rotation and refers to Marshall as a "left handed reliever."

That's not good cause it makes it seem pointless they extended him if Kidd wasn't gonna use him, and even worse that he's there for the year.

So he's basically only there to relieve and to step in in case someone gets injured. Means that Milwaukee signed him just to be ****'s to the Lakers who were gonna re-sign him in the following 4 hours.
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject:

Dimes are good alright, but a PG who is not offensive threat and plays NO D is not good for a team. Marshall can't shoot!!!! AT ALL!!! Plays no damn D. Price is the better player, and will only improve as time goes on
jlinfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject:

I didn't see Marshall play much (only pre-season this year yikes) but from highlights last year he looked great. Was surprised he was cut especially with that contract.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject:

Similar to Coors vs Bud Light. Why bother?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject:

When will we just accept, that a high assist PG just isn't going to work next to Kobe? It works in theory, it just never works in reality.

If we're going to talk PGs, we ought to be looking at one more in the mold of a Derek Fisher. Good spot up 3pt shooter, doesn't need ball to be effective.

Marshall would be almost pointless on the court next to Kobe.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
When will we just accept, that a high assist PG just isn't going to work next to Kobe? It works in theory, it just never works in reality.

If we're going to talk PGs, we ought to be looking at one more in the mold of a Derek Fisher. Good spot up 3pt shooter, doesn't need ball to be effective.

Marshall would be almost pointless on the court next to Kobe.

But they never played together so you dont know that for certain.
Secondly, who are all of these high assist point guards that kobe has played with that have allowed us to get a good sample size of games in which he shared the floor with such a player to make that determination? We all know what Fisher was, and he played 13 seasons here. Payton was unable to play as a high assist pg when he got here due to the nature of the triangle offense. Sessions wasn't here even a full season, and he and Nash haven't even played a season's worth of total games in three seasons together. Outside of sessions(arguably) and nash, who fits the bill of high assist pg that kobe has struggled with while playing outside of the triangle? It never worked in reality because the option never presented itself in reality, I have no doubt that kobe could play next to a high assist pg. The system he played in almost his entire career, combined with personnel that didn't fit the mold of a high assist pg has more to do with this than anything else.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: