Xavier Henry (10/28 Update: X is Active for Tonight's Game - pg 3)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
most people would agree that he's REALLY good at getting to the rim. the rest of his game is inconsistent; but that's where you should think about his potential. He's shown good touch at the rim, he hasn't been a brick house there at all ; and same goes for his jumper..
If healthy, he has the chance to evolve into a pretty damn complete offensive wing.
I don't understand why his game envokes so much rage in you! it's not like he's a skill-less scrub like Wes..

I agree. He's good at getting to the rim. But he can't finish. It's great he can walk up to a girl but it's pointless if he can't get her number.

He has an eFG% of .509 on shots close to the basket (last season and .489 the season before). For an SG/SF, that is unacceptable. For reference, Kendall Marshall had an eFG% of .535 on shots close to the basket last season. I just don't like players whose best skill is getting to the rim but finish at a rate lower than PG Kendall Marshall.

When you've got a player with a reputation for being able to get to the rim, and he's shooting under 41% consistently season in and season out, that's another thing I don't like.

I'm also not a fan of guards that have a negative AST/TO ratio (that is, they turn the ball over more often than they create an assist).

Finally, he can't even stay healthy. So net-net, I'm just not a huge fan of players who can't stay healthy and then when they are, can't shoot, can't finish at the rim, and can't take care of the ball or create for others.

No rage here. I'm very methodical about how I look at players, including the players on my team. I won't just cherry pick 6 games and say potential 4 times, I like to look at the entire body of work.

well, i judge young players on potential, not their stats. I'm pretty much all about the eye test. Stats NEVER tell the whole story but especially with young players. And SGs never have really good Assist/TO ratio's.. they don't look for assists.. lol

I get it tho, there's something about his game that you really hate, and now you're totally against him. im the exact same way with Wes Johnson, i get it. lol
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
deal wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
most people would agree that he's REALLY good at getting to the rim. the rest of his game is inconsistent; but that's where you should think about his potential. He's shown good touch at the rim, he hasn't been a brick house there at all ; and same goes for his jumper..
If healthy, he has the chance to evolve into a pretty damn complete offensive wing.
I don't understand why his game envokes so much rage in you! it's not like he's a skill-less scrub like Wes..

I agree. He's good at getting to the rim. But he can't finish. It's great he can walk up to a girl but it's pointless if he can't get her number.

He has an eFG% of .509 on shots close to the basket (last season and .489 the season before). For an SG/SF, that is unacceptable. For reference, Kendall Marshall had an eFG% of .535 on shots close to the basket last season. I just don't like players whose best skill is getting to the rim but finish at a rate lower than PG Kendall Marshall.

When you've got a player with a reputation for being able to get to the rim, and he's shooting under 41% consistently season in and season out, that's another thing I don't like.

I'm also not a fan of guards that have a negative AST/TO ratio (that is, they turn the ball over more often than they create an assist).

Finally, he can't even stay healthy. So net-net, I'm just not a huge fan of players who can't stay healthy and then when they are, can't shoot, can't finish at the rim, and can't take care of the ball or create for others.

No rage here. I'm very methodical about how I look at players, including the players on my team. I won't just cherry pick 6 games and say potential 4 times, I like to look at the entire body of work.

At 23 I'm still in on this kid off the bench...

I would be too if he hadn't already had 4 seasons under his belt and had good "peripherals". (For instance, Jordan Hill had great 'peripherals' and that's why I was high on him when we acquired him). X's production and numbers have not changed regardless of the team, offensive system, coach, teammates, etc that he's played on. I've heard every reason in the book as to why he can be a good player. I'm just not buying that he ever will be =)

That's why at 23, even with the resume and hype of a recent former NBA draft lottery pick, he can't command more than the absolute minimum allowable by law.

It's all possible but only time will tell. For now, I've got his back, we'll see....
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

well, i judge young players on potential, not their stats. I'm pretty much all about the eye test. Stats NEVER tell the whole story but especially with young players. And SGs never have really good Assist/TO ratio's.. they don't look for assists.. lol

I get it tho, there's something about his game that you really hate, and now you're totally against him. im the exact same way with Wes Johnson, i get it. lol

Hate to pick on X since it was his first game back, but again, two wide open layups missed today by him. The jumpers, he gets a pass given it was his first game back.

But it's not "something" about his game I don't like. I thought I was very specific about what I don't like about his game.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject:

X-man was obviously not ready to play tonight. He looked lost at times.
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Hate to pick on X since it was his first game back, but again, two wide open layups missed today by him. The jumpers, he gets a pass given it was his first game back.

But it's not "something" about his game I don't like. I thought I was very specific about what I don't like about his game.

Yeah, he looked bad tonight, but clearly he is still recovering and out of shape. It'll take some time. But yes, it was hard to watch.
Kobe_MJ_Fan_No_1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Who knew that Xaiver Henry was going to play tonight?

And why didnt he start instead of Wes Johnson.

Him subbing in tonight caught me by surprise.
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Who knew that Xaiver Henry was going to play tonight?

Kobe_MJ_Fan_No_1 wrote:
And why didnt he start instead of Wes Johnson.

Him subbing in tonight caught me by surprise.

Clearly he wasn't ready to play. He looked out of shape, no lift, no confidence. I admire him for trying to play, but even Wes was the better player tonight.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:41 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

hahaha ok ok get it you hate Denzel. lmao!

but ya, he looked horrible out there tonight. it was some of his first 5v5 basketball in like 6 months! ouch. was bad. didn't look healthy, no lift on the layup attempts. + da rust, oh,da rust.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:54 am    Post subject:

X look like you'd expect someone to look that missed all but two practices of training camp, is rusty, and did running/conditioning today.
repandpresent
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject:

I understand him being out of shape and all but what was up with his attitude? Walked right past Clarkson as Clarkson wanting his help getting up. Horrible body langauge through out the game. Wasn't very engaged on the bench, or either side of the floor.

I didn't see that once from him last year. I hope he just had a bad day because I like his game
CHRISTYLE70
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject:

He played?
smoothazsilk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject:

why did they even bring him back ..if his knees are that bad he needs to go. develop someone else.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject:

repandpresent wrote:
I understand him being out of shape and all but what was up with his attitude? Walked right past Clarkson as Clarkson wanting his help getting up. Horrible body langauge through out the game. Wasn't very engaged on the bench, or either side of the floor.

I didn't see that once from him last year. I hope he just had a bad day because I like his game

Didn't expect him to see the floor tonight. Missed a lot of plays he usually makes. He's rusty and out of shape.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject:

A trooper for coming back earlier than expected, maybe motivated a bit by not wanting to be waived to get more help off the bench?
Cow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject:

I don't think Xavier knew he was going to play tonight... Hah.

I was at the game. He looked good during warm ups and shoot around. But he looked lost when the game started. Hope we get the old X back soon!
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject:

He looked damn rusty last night.
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject:

Did anyone want him to start?
fan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject:

Playing X early and nearly 20 minutes was Byron's most foolish move of the night (there were many).
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject:

It's obvious that X-man is still hobbling and not at 100%.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject:

fan4life wrote:
Playing X early and nearly 20 minutes was Byron's most foolish move of the night (there were many).

Scott needs players now what's he going to do wait weeks until he gets in shape?
He's going to have to get in shape and learn the system during games that's the bottom line. The same for Kelly and Young when they're ready, there's no additional pre-season time given to the Lakers as a favor by the NBA.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject:

he looked rusty, but who didn't look rusty and lost out there last night?
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject:

He looked like he wasnt running well.

My question, is how did the medical staff allow him to play, risking further injury, when his knees are supposedly still not 100%?

"because he wanted to play" someone will say...

but arent the medical team supposed to make the recommendation to the coach and say "hes not ready"..?

And since were on injuries,

how long does a strained hammy take to heal?
kobe_4_mvp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject:

nice layup last night
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject:

Cow wrote:
I don't think Xavier knew he was going to play tonight... Hah.

I was at the game. He looked good during warm ups and shoot around. But he looked lost when the game started. Hope we get the old X back soon!

Of course he looked lost. He hasn't had much run with these guys. It's pretty much like a pick-up game.
BigislandHank
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject:

He blew off Clarkson I think on a drive to the basket last night. Clarkson was wide open under the hoop... And of course, X missed the lay up.

He looked like he was playing for himself and not for the team.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: