Why do people complain about Kobe's contract but not Hill's?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kobe2Clark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Why do people complain about Kobe's contract but not Hill's?

$9mil per for Hill instead of 2 servicable players is a big reason we are so bad. WTF was Mitch thinking?
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject:

The NBA produces the most limited difference makers in any sport. Even the "super stars" in the NBA have no chance at winning titles.

NBA has no difference makers that can be available. Trades are like advanced math in order for them to work. Contracts have to match, the player cant be a whining little (bleep) like Dwight Howard. Mega stars have to take pay cuts or they get called selfish, it's a giant garbage fest. I actually look forward to the NBA ceasing to exist for at least a year in 2017. Should have happened in 2012.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Because Hill's contract is a one-year deal.
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject:

I am ready to give Mitch Kupchak the boot
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Hill younger, a big, one year guaranteed, and more tradable than kobe

Kobe has inflated value to lakers. His market value isnt what Lakers overpaid
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject:

A lot of people here were saying Hills deal was great a few months ago. Davis at like $1m a year has made people forget all about him. Hill is a nice backup big, nothing more.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think a big part of it is because Hill got his contract AFTER the Lakers had struck out in free agency, and that big men generally also get paid. There's a lot more mediocre bigs making in the $7M+ range, than there are guards/small forwards. Hill is a hustle guy, he's grabbed 10.5 rebounds in 24 minutes in the first two games. Is he worth $9M? No. But he's worth more than $5M, and they had to give him a reason to sign a deal which gives the team an option on the second year and makes him a valuable trade commodity.
business101
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

Both stink, except Hill is a nobody or just a small fish that don't hurt you in any shape or form and that you can find anywhere in the pond, so to speak.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject:

I have no complaints about Kobe's contract.

I've yet to be as enamored with JHIll as others seem to be ever since he joined the team. I mean he's fine, but he's an energy guy and no more from what I've seen. So no, I didn't understand his contract. But whatever he's here and he's got the contract now...
business101
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject:

I remembered last year when Hill was having a great start and people compared him to Rodman and some even felt disgusted by the idea of trading him for Kenneth Faried straight up.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject:

1-year deal and it's almost a third of Kobe's. Also, for me, the timing was the real killer.
incontrol__
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject:

People can't get over the Kobe contract because it killed their dreams of getting Lebron, and any superstar they wanted in Free Agency in the middle of a terrible season where that was almost all they had to look forward to.

The Hill contract was logical. Overpay for a big (position of need) that you want to keep looking at with a contract that allows you flexibility after finding out you had no shot at the big fish.

The Kobe contract was seen as logical by both sides (Kobe, management). Unfortunately a lot of fans saw it as a 'betrayal' because it blew up their pipe dreams and made them have to come to terms with the fact that -- yes, the Lakers aren't going to fix things overnight. Boohoo. People need to grow up and get over it and stop spitting venom at Kobe/Management whenever they get the chance due to it.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject:

I'm not particularly excited about four years of Nick Young. Don't want any part of that. Waste of time and roster space.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Because who were we going to get if not Hill? We paid 9 million because someone was willing to pay that or a little less than that and we would be starting Sacre now.
Captain America
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject:

incontrol__ wrote:
People can't get over the Kobe contract because it killed their dreams of getting Lebron, and any superstar they wanted in Free Agency in the middle of a terrible season where that was almost all they had to look forward to.

The Hill contract was logical. Overpay for a big (position of need) that you want to keep looking at with a contract that allows you flexibility after finding out you had no shot at the big fish.

The Kobe contract was seen as logical by both sides (Kobe, management). Unfortunately a lot of fans saw it as a 'betrayal' because it blew up their pipe dreams and made them have to come to terms with the fact that -- yes, the Lakers aren't going to fix things overnight. Boohoo. People need to grow up and get over it and stop spitting venom at Kobe/Management whenever they get the chance due to it.

True but honestly if I was getting paid 24 million, I would give it my all on both ends of the court. He did not play like a 24 million dollar player tonight, I'll tell you that.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject:

incontrol__ wrote:

You forgot to add the K-O-B-E is easier to spell than H-I-L-L.

At least, that's what I think.

ZOOM!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Shlumpledink wrote:
Because who were we going to get if not Hill? We paid 9 million because someone was willing to pay that or a little less than that and we would be starting Sacre now.

This....who else was available?
pkflyers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Shlumpledink wrote:

This....who else was available?

Big Game James wrote:
I'm Kwame Brown and every one of my posts seem to be moved. I find this perplexing because I've never had a post move before!

http://tinyurl.com/snxt
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject:

I've always complained about his contract. To me he's not a good defender and below average defensive rebounder.

But he's a offensive board beast. Need's a better jumpshot to be paid 9M.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject:

That's the price you have to pay after all the big names have spurned you and your are competing with good teams for 2nd rung players. Having a team option for second year also adds to the price tag.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject:

I think Mitch didn't want to take on long term contracts. But at what point do you say...maybe were not going to get Lebron or Melo...so we should think about these 2nd tier player like Lance Stephenson and Isiah Thomas? It's not like you can't trade them later on if they don't work out...
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Jeggs wrote:
I think Mitch didn't want to take on long term contracts. But at what point do you say...maybe were not going to get Lebron or Melo...so we should think about these 2nd tier player like Lance Stephenson and Isiah Thomas? It's not like you can't trade them later on if they don't work out...

Isaih Thomas gave an interview today in which he said..he wanted to Sign with Lakers but they were waiting for Melo's decision...PHX nabbed him in the mean time.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Why do people complain about Kobe's contract but not Hill's?

Kobe2Clark wrote:
$9mil per for Hill instead of 2 servicable players is a big reason we are so bad. what the heck was Mitch thinking?

Right Hill is not a center he's a backup power forward if anything in a few teams. He has no business starting as a center I don't know what Mitch was thinking when he signed him. He plays poor defense off the pick n roll gets beat to the rim every time. Are these people not watching film or what?
The more I look at this FO the more I think nobody knows anything about basketball.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: